Where should I study abroad? I'm from Mexico.

aidamariana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Where should I study abroad? I'm from Mexico. (13 votes)

Italy 54%
France 54%
Sweden 92%
Austria 38%
Iceland 69%

I just want to experience something totally different, I went over all my options and ended up with these last 5 but I just can't decide. What do you guys think? Thank you!

• 
cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

If you study abroad you might as well go as far away as possible. I voted Sweden. You couldn't get anymore opposite of Mexico than that I'd guess.

Achaemenid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Of those I have been to Italy, Austria, and France. Of those three I would probably recommend France or Austria...France felt like it had more of a lively, bustling energy to it which I liked. Austria seemed a bit more toned down and idyllic. Either is nice. I've never been to Mexico but I feel like Austria would probably be pretty different from Mexico.

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By Blu3V3nom07
No Caption Provided

I've always liked French, and Chimay is suposed to be pretty good. I would go with France.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#5  Edited By ajamafalous

Italia

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By BisonHero

Fair warning in case you don't regularly read the forums: the poll system is currently broken for whatever reason, and the site engineers haven't been able to fix it for the past month or two.

So uhhh, keep an eye on what people are saying in their responses, I guess.

2HeadedNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Germany not an option? :) ... We have a rather good schooling system. Also: The only true beer.

Avatar image for asilentprotagonist
ASilentProtagonist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sweden.

bargainben

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Italy. With a latin-based language you'll understand just enough to get around (France too but French are can be notoriously unfriendly to outsiders, especially once you leave the tourist spots like Paris). Sweden is like the suicide capital of the world or something, vacation yeah live for an extended period of time no

goonage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Depends what's more important to you- If you care mostly about studying I suggest you look up universities in those countries and which ones fit you. If you care more about just getting to experience the countries (Vibe/culture etc.) I suggest you go to France.

BTW, just curious- Why did you choose these specific countries?

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Go to Sweden , of all the countries you listed we Mexicans tend to never go to the nordic ones ... its time to change that I think , also it is quite a different culture (remember that we are heavily influenced by France and Italy , not just by romantic language but by history) .... the same could be said of Iceland

Jimmi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I vote France. Lived/worked there for a year and a half total and loved it. Love the language, the bread (oh god the bread... and wine and cheese etc), the history, and the geography. The people are great but they definitely take some getting used to.

Assuming Spanish is your first language (and you already have a good mastery of English judging from your post) French would be a breeze to learn. More importantly, French is going to be a very important global language in the next ~20 years with the emergence of former French colonial economies in Africa that have adopted the language (Congo, Cameroon, Morocco, Ivory Coast etc).

Don't shoot for Paris though, not a fan of it as a city to be honest. I have lived in both Grenoble (Alps) and in a small town in the south of France and both come highly recommended depending on your extra curricular habits.

Avatar image for charlie_victor_bravo
charlie_victor_bravo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

Do you like cold and dark combined with high cost of living? If answer is "yes" Sweden or Iceland will be perfect for you! If you want all that with added spice of high suicide rates and world leading education quality, try Finland.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

If you're young then probably Italy or France. Sweden or Iceland will be "exotic" and neat for a while but from what I gather they aren't the most exciting places to live.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd pick Austria just due to it being near to 4-5 other countries.

SharkEthic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@blu3v3nom07: Chimay is absolutely delicious. Also, like most good beer, it's from Belgium.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

#18  Edited By isomeri

I've not been to Iceland, but out of the rest of those countries I'd say that Sweden and Austria are probably most welcoming towards foreigners. Since you're coming from Mexico I'd say that the Scandinavian welfare-state culture might be most exotic to you. Snow, pretty blondes, thick forests and social benefits. I hear Iceland is beautiful but living there would make it relatively hard for you to travel to other parts of Europe. If you were to study in Austria, France or Italy you would be able to reach most European easily by train. It's relatively easy to get to the major cities from Stockholm as well, and in addition you would be closer to Helsinki, Tallinn, St. Petersburg, Riga and so on.

So all and all it really depends on what you're looking for. Italy and France would be relatively cheap, relatively central and closer to your culture. Sweden would be more exotic, increasingly trendy and offer more student benefits but the cost of living is higher. Austria's beautiful and conveniently located for travel, but only slightly less expensive than Sweden. Iceland has a dick museum.

PS: Education is completely free for foreigners in Finland, so you might want to consider coming here as well as an alternative to Sweden.

Cagliostro88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Are going with an exchange program or fully moving for the whole degree? And in that case, which is the faculty of your choice? Some places are better depending on it

More than the country per se, i would tell you as an advice to think more about which kind of city would you like to live in. Capital? Smaller city? Quieter? Active nighlife? University students-oriented town? Historic places? Atmosphere? Friendly people?

In any case I'm from Italy so if you are considering some of our cities just ask and i'll try to give you some infos

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Depends on why you want to study abroad tbh. I don't know how good the education system is in Mexico, so if you wanna go abroad to get better education, I'd go with Sweden, Finland, or Germany; I know 2 of those aren't in your poll but they're probably the countries with the overall best quality, outside of places like Oxford/Cambridge/Durham and those posh Swiss ones. If you're going to experience a new culture, then honestly I can't answer that for you, thats kinda up to you to realise which you'd like the most dude. Good luck either way though dude!

splodge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Screw those places, come to Ireland!!

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

I've always wanted to go to Italy.

bassman2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 12

Completely dependent on what you want to study =) If you're looking for a post-secondary school, do some research into schools & teachers you'd really want to study with. Maybe you'll end up finding that one of the most interesting programs is actually in Japan or Canada or something ^^

T0FFE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd say it depends on what you wan to study. I'm from Sweden and if you're just out for something new, I think Sweden in the winter would fit that description pretty well :)

Brackstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Brackstone

I can only really speak from personal experience, but Italy is pretty great. Cheap cost of living, tons and tons and tons of historical sites and museums for practically any time period you could want, easy and cheap transport between cities, and even to other countries depending on where in Italy you are. The food is great, not just the typically Italian foods like pastas, but also their fast food options that you don't see outside Italy as much, arancini being the standout example in my mind. Finally, there's almost always something interesting going on. Even the small town I stayed in had several street festivals, concerts and other large events at the local bars. Larger cities of course trump the smaller ones in that regard.

Italian isn't a difficult language to learn coming from a Spanish background, though if you want something completely different, that may be off-putting. The people are generally very nice, though while I was over there my female friends were a little nervous, since cat calls and getting followed for a few streets were somewhat common occurrences, but that's pretty much the only bad thing I have to say about my stay there.

The biggest deciding factor should be what program you want to take, though. As much as you might want a new different experience, it's good if you can get a great education out of it as well, since that's something you can carry with you wherever else you may want to go. From personal experience, if you want to take your studies further, saying you studied archaeology in Italy or art history in France or anything like that goes a long way.

ratamero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm from Brazil and, from those, I've lived in France and Sweden, 1 year in each. I've had a better time in France but Sweden was definitely a more interesting experience. I'd say that, if you plan to spend multiple years, look for a place where you'd feel more at home. One year or two, go for a completely different place to see things you're not used to.

Cirdain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#27  Edited By Cirdain

You've got to tell us what you want to study if you want a good answers.

Jazz_Lafayette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Don't forget to check out GB's Iceland shoot if you haven't already. It's a narrow portrait, but probably informative regarding the general atmosphere.

Loading Video...

Avatar image for shadowswordmaster
ShadowSwordmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Those are pretty interesting places but I would go to France.It's a nice place and there is a lot of things to check out.

s10129107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

I had friends who studied abroad in Sweden and they didn't like it much.

Nictel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#31  Edited By Nictel

Come to the Netherlands! The option you mistakenly clearly left out.

• Italy: They don't work and everything is corrupted. The weather and food are nice though.
  • France: They strike 368 days per year! (No that is not a typo)
  • Sweden: Beautiful women (if you like blondes) but oh so cold!
  • Austria: I have nothing to say about Austria, take that as you want. They do have that one really famous person.
  • Iceland: Just cold.
Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Come to the Netherlands! The option you mistakenly clearly left out.

• Italy: They don't work and everything is corrupted. The weather and food are nice though.
  • France: They strike 368 days per year! (No that is not a typo)
  • Sweden: Beautiful women (if you like blondes) but oh so cold!
  • Austria: I have nothing to say about Austria, take that as you want. They do have that one really famous person.
  • Iceland: Just cold.