• 149 results
DarthMaul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By DarthMaul

I was in first period and the classroom got a call from the office saying we were going home early. No one had any idea whatsoever what was happening because teachers didn't tell us anything. When I got home and saw the footage of the plane hit the tower I didn't know what to think. At first I thought it was just a tragic plane crash, but then saw that it was terrorists attacking. I was only 11 at the time, but then began to understand it more clearly and now it's hard to think about.

I'm taking a Sports in Society class now and we watched a video based on how baseball (the Yankees) helped during 9/11. The Yankees really did a lot for people around them and Derek Jeter even visited some people that lost loved ones. The video was hard to watch because the footage was shown and the stories of some people were very sad. Baseball really helped people get away from the tragedy and gave people something to feel happy about. Footage from the playoffs that year were shown and it let me remember what had happened in the playoffs that year. The crowds chanted USA USA and it was like a big community gathering. If it was one year the Yankees were to win the World Series, it would have been that year, although, I was happy the Diamondbacks won. Re-seeing the playoff footage made me remember that the Yankees aren't that bad of a team and I hated them a little less haha. It was an HBO show, so it was well put-together. The 9/11 footage makes you stop to think about the time and everything that happened. Baseball really came together to help those in need.

I know I kind of talked about baseball too much there, but baseball really had a big impact on helping those in tough times.

So, where were you when 9/11 occurred?

Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Gizmo

I was watching kids tv, when my dad came into the living room shouting at me to turn it to BBC 1. I nearly spilled my cereal.

Hewkii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By Hewkii

school. surprisingly it was a normal day. nothing told me anything was off till I got home.

danielkempster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By danielkempster

I was at home, playing on my PS1, when I got a text from a friend saying, "dude, turn on ur tv!". I was 11 at the time.

kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#5  Edited By kush

I was watching the news before school and saw the second plane actually hit the building live. It's one of those moments that you'll never, ever forget.

joey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -2

#6  Edited By joey

I was in like second grade or something and they said over the speakers that it happened, and since we were all little we thought that it was like WWIII or something.

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By Rowr

This reminds me of the stair way to heaven southpark episode.

obviously im not american. But i watched it unfold live on television the night before my brothers birthday, about 10.00 pm here in aus. All the regular stations put on the cbs/nbc broadcasts.

Yeh it happened, yeh get over it.

youve taken your media revenge, we can all move back to that happy direction the 90's were shooting for plz

atejas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By atejas

I was in America, sitting at my house there, as I recall.

Soap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 29

#9  Edited By Soap

In my house, playing Sim City 3000.... Destroying the twin towers with a natural disaster.... no joke lol I felt really guilty at first, like I was responsible but obviously I couldn't have been (could I? dun dun dunnnn!) I was 11 at the time as well so I didn't really understand the gravity of the situation for a while.

Roger_Klotz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Roger_Klotz

I was in the 7th grade. We were in homeroom taking attendance when there was announcement on the intercom. Then we turned on the t.v's when the 2nd plane hit.

suneku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By suneku

I was just waking up to get ready to go to school.

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By BiggerBomb

I was in 4th grade, in the middle of a school day. There was an annoucement that all the 6th graders were told something and had to leave the school. The rest of the school (2nd-5th) was to finish out the day without knowing what was happening, but the teachers were all really upset.

I came home that day at the bus stop and I was rushed home and my mom was crying in the kitchen watching the tv. On the screen were the twin towers with smoke and flames shooting out of the buildings. I don't remember what I was thinking at the time, but I don't think I really understood what was going on. I was only 9, after all. I'm 16 now and saying September 11th, 2001 makes it seem like it only happened yesterday. But soon it will be 7 years to the day and realizing how long ago it really is really weird.

It turns out that the 6th graders were called home because a girl in the grade's (this was my older sister's grade) dad was in the WTC. Another boy in the grade below me had a dad in the WTC also. Both of their fathers died.

My mom was scared because my dad works in New York City in a lawfirm, luckily he was not near enough to the WTC to be harmed. Because all of the public transportation had to be shut down my dad along with many others had to walk across the bridges to Long Island.

My housekeeper at the time, who was pretty much family to us, had a brother that had a commute involving the train which ran under the WTC. For once, he was lucky to miss the train to work that day. I believe that train was crushed under a collapsing tower, I could be wrong though; it's still scary, nevertheless.

Living in New York tends to make this more personal than elsewhere, not to say that these events are not tragic elsewhere. It's just eerie to have an attack so close to home.

The one thing that infuriates me the most, is any bullshit conspiracy theory involving the events of 9/11. To do so is disrespecting the lives lost and their families. It's trying to make a fun brain-storming game based on the deaths of thousands of American lives. That's crap that I won't stand for, I can't do much to anyone over the internet who believes in that. But if it were someone within arms reach I would rip them a new asshole.

TheGTAvaccine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By TheGTAvaccine

I was at home, watching the footage on TV.

Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14  Edited By Karmum

Pretty sure I was in school, don't remember if I got out early or not.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Jayge_

I was sitting in History class in 4th grade, listening to my science teacher frantically describe something about broken glass falling and a tower to my History teacher. I thought one of her cabinets at home fell over.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#16  Edited By Meowayne

I was at home, looking for food. A friend called me, told me to turn on the TV. I did. It didn't interest me. I continued my search for food.

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By BiggerBomb
Meowayne said:
"I was at home, looking for food. A friend called me, told me to turn on the TV. I did. It didn't interest me. I continued my search for food."

A terrorist attack on one of the most important structures of one of the most important cities in one of the most important countries in the world, just didn't phase you? What the fuck would get your attention?

He sure screams loud enough...
DarthMaul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By DarthMaul
Meowayne said:
"I was at home, looking for food. A friend called me, told me to turn on the TV. I did. It didn't interest me. I continued my search for food."
>_<
whackmypinata

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By whackmypinata
BiggerBomb said:
"Meowayne said:

A terrorist attack on one of the most important structures of one of the most important cities in one of the most important countries in the world, just didn't phase you? What the fuck would get your attention?

He sure screams loud enough..."
Although I agree with you, I don't think important is a keyword to describe the United States. Just because it is (somewhat currently) economically powerful, doesn't make it more important than Bangladesh.
get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By get2sammyb
Rowr said:
"This reminds me of the stair way to heaven southpark episode.

obviously im not american. But i watched it unfold live on television the night before my brothers birthday, about 10.00 pm here in aus. All the regular stations put on the cbs/nbc broadcasts.

Yeh it happened, yeh get over it.

youve taken your media revenge, we can all move back to that happy direction the 90's were shooting for plz
"
I'm kind of with you here but sticking to the topic in hand -- I was just leaving school here in the UK, probably 4PM and my mum told me. We ended up my mates house watching it unfold on TV totally dumbfounded.
Manks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#21  Edited By Manks

I was in second or first grade.  I live in NJ (about 40 mins away from NYC).  About in an hour into school tons of people were being called to go.  Parents were picking up their kids because they felt it was the safe thing to do.  My dad came back to the school to pick me up.  He said that he couldn't go to work because the Lincoln Tunnel was closed.  

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By BiggerBomb
whackmypinata said:
"BiggerBomb said:
"Meowayne said:

Although I agree with you, I don't think important is a keyword to describe the United States. Just because it is (somewhat currently) economically powerful, doesn't make it more important than Bangladesh."

Um, yes it does.
dr_nefarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By dr_nefarious

At school in the computer lab watching as it all happened on TV. That day was like none other. Reality came and bit in the ass.

tearhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 52

#24  Edited By tearhead
Hewkii said:
"school. surprisingly it was a normal day. nothing told me anything was off till I got home."
Same for me. But I am originally from a different country so it wasn't as big of a deal over there. Still was a pretty big deal though.
brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By brukaoru

I was in 7th grade and they told us we would be getting out of class about an hour early to go home. The teachers had conflicting arguments of what was actually happening, no one knew what was going on. I only found out later on.

Mushir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Mushir

I can't remember. I think I was asleep then because of the time-difference. When I woke up literally every channel was showing he plane crash.

One thing I don't understand is why there are so many "Where were you when 9/11 happened" topics on the internet. No one makes topics about Iraq or Afghanistan. People are dying there all the time because of American bombs. Why are these countries ignored?
Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Rowr

wow people here remember this happening in fourth grade?

I feel old as fuck.

It really doesnt feel like it was that long ago.

My biggest worry personally, was my Rotary exchange to canada, from australia ( due to possible travelling restrictions
) During that year. A few later it feels like ameirca had there revenge (on iraq wtf? I guess someone had to distract the issue, even if it was a dictator fueled by America's Dolllars.)

Ive learned alot about politics in the time. I still dont feel like we have moved on in the western world. The Issue still contiunues to bllght the populace. We were quite happy to watch africans die in war in the 80s/90s?

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Jayge_

Troops should be stationed in Sudan, not Iraq.

They can keep killing backwards Arabs in Afghanistan if they want though.

whackmypinata

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By whackmypinata
BiggerBomb said:
"whackmypinata said:
"BiggerBomb said:
"Meowayne said:

Although I agree with you, I don't think important is a keyword to describe the United States. Just because it is (somewhat currently) economically powerful, doesn't make it more important than Bangladesh."

Um, yes it does."
No, it doesn't. America is democratic and has a lot of money, however you are essentially saying the USA and its inhabitants are more important than thousands of people in third world countries. Before you say that I am putting words in your mouth, think about it.
wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#31  Edited By wefwefasdf

Dude, but still, how can knowing that terrorists killing hundreds of Americans didn't even interest  you?

I was eating breakfast and then told to turn on the news. I was sitting on my couch for a couple of hours after that.

clubsandwich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#32  Edited By clubsandwich

I was in the Towers. it wuz a conspiracy! D: :0

Liono88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Liono88

sleeping

Blu_Magic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Blu_Magic

I was in 4th grade and my mom came to pick me up early that day. I didn't know what was going on. =O

MIALER_DAEMON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By MIALER_DAEMON

I came back into the house and someone said "have you seen this" the first plane had already hit and there was plumbs of smoke but they kept replying it over and over and then I watched it and I was like, wtf no way, that's crazy. Then the second plane hit and that was way, way, fucking wtf.

Fax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Fax

I was at my house playing Video games and then my friend called me over and I saw it at his house.

previous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By previous

I live in Washington DC, I was in school when we noticed a lot of smoke coming from what we thought was the airport, then there was an announcement that a plane a crashed into the pentagon and that we would be sent home early. I didn't find out about the WTC's until I got home, and by that time both towers had collapsed.

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By BiggerBomb
whackmypinata said:
 No, it doesn't. America is democratic and has a lot of money, however you are essentially saying the USA and its inhabitants are more important than thousands of people in third world countries. Before you say that I am putting words in your mouth, think about it."

I'm not saying an American life is worth more than that of a citizen of any other country. I'm saying America is more vital to world politics, economy, and global defense than most other countries. Ergo, USA is important.

The American revolution inspired the revolutions of other nations that today are immensely influential and critical to this world, our scientific discoveries have advanced science to new levels previously unheard of, and the importance of our economy is pivotal to the trade of other major powers. Would the success and advancement of the internet have been accomplished during our time without the USA? No. Would you know what DNA was without the scientific research conducted on our soil? No, you would not. Would the invasion of Normandy have been a success without us? Most probably not. Could military technology be as sophisticated in the present without Albert Einstein and his relations within our country? No, it would not.

I'm not a xenophobic ass who thinks I am superior to all others, I don't view myself as a higher priority than others, and I am not going to say that my country is flawless and has not had any negative impacts on this world.

But you cannot understate the significance of the USA and you most certainly cannot say that America is not one of the most important nations in the world and possibly the most important nation in the free world.

You want to talk shit about George Bush? I will join you, I hate the government as it is today and I am an avid supporter of Democratic policies and a staunch critic against the corruption present in today's administration. Do I think the war we are in is causing unecessary turmoil that may put others at danger? Yes, I do. Do I feel that Iran is a threat of our own making? Yes.

But I refuse to acknowledge percieved American arrogance, because this is a fabrication of the ignorant who do not understand the USA, its culture, and its importance.

I have thought about it and you have put words in my mouth, misconstruing my meaning and placing my words out of context. We are certainly not the best at everything and we are the worst at some things. But what we are is important.
AaronBelfast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By AaronBelfast

I just came home from school and my mom told here. I watched on the TV totally speechless. And this is from someone that lives outside the US.

whackmypinata

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By whackmypinata
BiggerBomb said:
"whackmypinata said:
 No, it doesn't. America is democratic and has a lot of money, however you are essentially saying the USA and its inhabitants are more important than thousands of people in third world countries. Before you say that I am putting words in your mouth, think about it."

I'm not saying an American life is worth more than that of a citizen of any other country. I'm saying America is more vital to world politics, economy, and global defense than most other countries. Ergo, USA is important.

The American revolution inspired the revolutions of other nations that today are immensely influential and critical to this world, our scientific discoveries have advanced science to new levels previously unheard of, and the importance of our economy is pivotal to the trade of other major powers. Would the success and advancement of the internet have been accomplished during our time without the USA? No. Would you know what DNA was without the scientific research conducted on our soil? No, you would not. Would the invasion of Normandy have been a success without us? Most probably not. Could military technology be as sophisticated in the present without Albert Einstein and his relations within our country? No, it would not.

I'm not a xenophobic ass who thinks I am superior to all others, I don't view myself as a higher priority than others, and I am not going to say that my country is flawless and has not had any negative impacts on this world.

But you cannot understate the significance of the USA and you most certainly cannot say that America is not one of the most important nations in the world and possibly the most important nation in the free world.

You want to talk shit about George Bush? I will join you, I hate the government as it is today and I am an avid supporter of Democratic policies and a staunch critic against the corruption present in today's administration. Do I think the war we are in is causing unecessary turmoil that may put others at danger? Yes, I do. Do I feel that Iran is a threat of our own making? Yes.

But I refuse to acknowledge percieved American arrogance, because this is a fabrication of the ignorant who do not understand the USA, its culture, and its importance.

I have thought about it and you have put words in my mouth, misconstruing my meaning and placing my words out of context. We are certainly not the best at everything and we are the worst at some things. But what we are is important."
I did not intend to put words in your mouth, but when you said this was happening to an important country- I interpreted it as such. What makes a country important? It's inhabitants. I understand and agree with what you are saying now, but I don't believe I placed your words out of context. Misconstruing your words was my interpretation of them, not everybody understands it the same way.
Oriental_Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Oriental_Jams

Tennis lesson.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e12c8fcf3f2c
deactivated-5e12c8fcf3f2c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

sleeping, but then i heard about it at school the next day.

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#43  Edited By RHCPfan24

I was at school too and everyone went home early.  My grandfather came and said that the event happened.  At first, I didn't know what to think.  I was in 3rd grade and I lived in Bergen County, NJ, only about 15 miles from NYC.  My dad got home from work in NYC with terrorist alerts everywhere.  What a day

MIALER_DAEMON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By MIALER_DAEMON

The tv barely showed anything of the pentagon.

JoshA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#45  Edited By JoshA
HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By HandsomeDead

I was playing GTA II upstairs and my Grandma came up and says 'There's just been a massive explosion in New York. I suppose this is World War 3 then.'

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#47  Edited By Meowayne
BiggerBomb said:
I would actually watch the news if they decided to stop making big stories of people dying in spectacular and unusual ("tragic") ways. People die. Every day. People kill people. Nature kills people. Governments kill people. Terrorists kill people. The more, the better. Let's show it in slow motion. Wow, watching this makes my life interesting.
It doesn't concern me. It doesn't interest me. Plane crashes. Catastrophies. Crime. Terrorist attacks. I don't  need to see this to know it exists. I don't think 1500 people dying in a terrorist attack is more "interesting" or "worth watching" or "wort caring" than 2 people dying because they were hit by a drunk truck driver.
If I was older and if I lived in the US at the time, it might have interested me because if could've affected me personally. But I didn't, and it didn't.
I don't want to play this down, but if there's one thing terrorists want other than wreck havoc, it's my attention. Which they don't get.
It's like people getting upset because they're insulted by a 9 year old on Xbox Live. A concept that eludes me.
ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By ryanwho

In a box.
*edit*
With a fox.

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#49  Edited By Arkthemaniac

I was asleep. When I heard, I didn't really care. I was like 8 at the time, and I just thought, "Well, people die every day and we haven't been attacked in a while." I was a very realistic kid, I guess.

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Rowr
Arkthemaniac said:
"I was asleep. When I heard, I didn't really care. I was like 8 at the time, and I just thought, "Well, people die every day and we haven't been attacked in a while." I was a very realistic kid, I guess."
Wow. Kids are like. Kids.

Its weird to hear thoughts of someone at a young age.