Where's the best place to visit in America?

• 153 results
Onno10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By Onno10

Rio

benjaebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#52  Edited By benjaebe

@Wrighteous86 said:

Might as well go to that good old city of Rio de Janeiro, since we'll be in America.

I hear it's gorgeous this time of year.

Kevin_Cogneto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By Kevin_Cogneto

Just a thought, but the Grand Canyon is like an hour's drive from Las Vegas. So right there you could easily get both your natural and your man-made spectacle in one trip.

Divina_Rex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By Divina_Rex

@DuskVamp said:

As some of you may know, Wrighteous86 came to visit me in the UK in February and now I'm planning on visiting him in Chicago this summer. I'll be there for 6 weeks hopefully, still waiting on work to get back to me about it, and for one week we're planning on visiting somewhere else in the states. Where are some of the best places that you guys have been, that you would recommend?

EDIT: Somewhere that has amazing wildlife attractions would be great.

Wildlife? Then, maybe San Diego.

Avatar image for little_socrates
Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#55  Edited By Little_Socrates

I love Boston and San Francisco, and both would at least be reasonable during the summer months. With San Francisco, you'd be only a couple hours away from Carmel, which is absolutely gorgeous. Not to mention that if you take the Cabrillo Highway, you'll have gorgeous views of Monterey Bay and SF Peninsula, and you'll be taking the Golden Gate Bridge.

New York City is always a treat, but it might not be comfortable in the summer due to all the people there. NYC is still just a big city, not too unlike Chicago or London to begin with. San Francisco and Boston are pretty unique; you can also see most of Boston in a week pretty comfortably!

If you're less interested in sightseeing and more interested in just finding somewhere natural and gorgeous, Zion National Park is probably one of the most uniquely American and completely gorgeous places you could go to. Not a whole lot to do other than drive, hike, and relax (or ride horses, if you're capable) but it might be just what you're looking for.

Avatar image for andrewbeardsley
AndrewBeardsley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#56  Edited By AndrewBeardsley

Im going to say seattle. I don't live in America but its my favourite place in the states

light_grenade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By light_grenade

@Wrighteous86: Being from Scotland I found that I liked Canada more than America, but that's just me. Not that I'm thinking it's the better tourist location.

wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#58  Edited By wrighteous86

@light_grenade: I agree it's probably nicer in parts, probably even a better place to live. I was speaking more from a purely visiting standpoint. I didn't mean to attack Canada, it just doesn't seem as "exciting".

louiedog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#59  Edited By louiedog

I live just north of Chicago now. Summers are hot and there are beaches if you want to do that. They're not like Florida or California beaches, but there's sand and sun, and I'll be damned if fresh water doesn't beat saltwater for taking a dip.

I used to live in San Francisco and suggest you visit. It's my favorite city in the US that I've lived in or event spent any time visiting. It doesn't really feel at all like Chicago or cities in the Northeast like NY and Boston. There are a lot of different things to do very close to each other. You can go to Japantown, see the sights, 10 minutes later be in the Mission to soak up that atmosphere and grab a burrito, and then 10 minutes later be downtown shopping. There aren't many places where you'll find such a diverse list of things to see and do in that small of a space. Getting around is very easy and doesn't require a car.

There are some really nice museums, cliffs to hike around, and a huge beautiful park. There are beaches, but don't expect the weather to cooperate and the water is cold. There's great outdoors stuff to do not very far away like Muir Woods or the huge recreation area just across the Golden Gate Bridge. There are day trips to make, like Monterey Bay Aquarium. The food is unbelievably good, my favorite anywhere, and generally cheap considering the quality. The weather can be hit or miss. It might be cool and foggy or it might by really hot and sunny. Pack accordingly if you choose it.

kedi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By kedi2

@SockemJetpack said:

Anywhere you can get a box of Cookie Crisp. I spent my childhood here in Canada watching those commercials and being told that they are "Only in the States". In my child mind "The States" was a magical place where cookies could be breakfast cereal and for some reason Smarties were different.

I'm sorry to tell you this, but Cookie Crisp is pretty much the most disappointing thing ever :(

louiedog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By louiedog

@Kedi2 said:

@SockemJetpack said:

Anywhere you can get a box of Cookie Crisp. I spent my childhood here in Canada watching those commercials and being told that they are "Only in the States". In my child mind "The States" was a magical place where cookies could be breakfast cereal and for some reason Smarties were different.

I'm sorry to tell you this, but Cookie Crisp is pretty much the most disappointing thing ever :(

Almost as disappointing as American Smarties. Smarties are gross. Stick with fake M&Ms.

light_grenade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By light_grenade

@Wrighteous86: Yea with that I completely agree. That being said NYC can't be recommended enough. Place was amazing when I visited a few years back :)

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#63  Edited By Animasta

as someone who lives in vegas do not go to vegas, it's way too hot and it's grimy as fuck

Sgykah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By Sgykah

If your friend knows people in LA, go to LA. Having a tour guide that knows his way around, you can get some of the best food of any culture. Zuma is a gorgeous beach, so is Huntington. I've actualy surfed next to dolphins, and then had authentic Thai without having to deal with snobby attitude (diamond bar > LA proper for most asian foods). And you're a pretty chill drive from places like Mammoth Mountain. Stay away from New York, most of the people you'll meet there are dicks. Only warning, you'll see more than your fair share of fish lipped 50 year old women who think they still have the body they had at 20; also hipsters.

myke_tuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#65  Edited By myke_tuna

I'm biased because I'm from LA, but I do like LA. That said, Portland is pretty baller too, but I've only been there in short stretches. The Seattle/Tacoma area is really nice (very green), but it is a bit nippy sometimes. All of those places are better than central Texas (where I'm at now). Weather is crazy and when it is stable, it's humid with enough heat to make it feel awful. As we speak, I don't feel I'm sweating properly.

Oh and I've always wanted to go to New York. So you could go there and I could live vicariously through you guys if and when you post a blog about your adventures.

fox01313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#66  Edited By fox01313

Hard to tell where the best spot is but wherever you pick, be sure to check the fun sites like Roadside America (for all the quirky odd places to go in the U.S.), if I can find the other site among all the bookmarks & emails from work to home I'll be sure to post it too as it seems to have more than Roadside America but covered items all over the world, just can't remember the name of it.

VisariLoyalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#67  Edited By VisariLoyalist
WickedFather

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By WickedFather

New York is shite, was a real letdown. The Statue of Liberty is meh. San Francisco was great.

DoctorWelch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#69  Edited By DoctorWelch

It depends what you mean by good. Certain parts are better for different reasons. Places on the east coast like D.C. and Philly have a decent amount of historical stuff to visit, and at the time of the year that you will be around the whether will most likely be really nice (maybe a little on the hot side though). I would say definitely do not go to Florida or anywhere in the south eastern part of the country unless you are the kind of person that would like a place like Miami, or specifically want to go to Disney World/Universal. New York City is not too bad, but it depends how long you are going to be there. I would say New York would be a good idea if you have a week or more to do the things you want to do, but if you are only going to be there for a day or two I would say there are better places to go. Las Vegas is always one of those places people talk about going even though I have never been I bet that would not be a bad idea. Like other people said, the west coast is nice, but I would definitely say go to Vancouver Canada if you can. That place is beautiful around the time I am guessing you are going. You could also always try Niagara Falls or the Grand Canyon which are obvious tourist attractions, but that might not be what you want out of the experience.

All and all, since you are going to be in Chicago, I say take a road trip and drive from Chicago to Niagara Falls, drive through Rochester and Syracuse (which are beautiful in the summer) while on your way to Boston, stay in Boston for a bit and then go to New York City, from there to Philadelphia, and then to Washington D.C. and back to Chicago. I would say that is a pretty good trip and you get to see a lot of different cities. You could also do the same kind of think by driving up or down the west coast cities.

Duder_Me

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By Duder_Me

Detroit; trust me, you'll love it there.

lockwoodx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By lockwoodx
Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By Ravenlight
No Caption Provided
wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By wrighteous86

@Ravenlight: That's in Chicago.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#74  Edited By Dagbiker

I live by Washington DC, so im partial to that, one good thing about DC is that all the museums, such as the Smithsonian, are absolutly free. Same with the zoo, and its not a bad zoo at all.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#75  Edited By Dagbiker

And dont get me started on the squirrels.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#76  Edited By mikemcn

@Ravenlight said:

No Caption Provided

Yep

and New York City is very cool, you can't go there and be bored.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By BraveToaster

@Dagbiker said:

I live by Washington DC, so im partial to that, one good thing about DC is that all the museums, such as the Smithsonian, are absolutly free. Same with the zoo, and its not a bad zoo at all.

DC is okay, but I hate most of the DMV locals.

VisariLoyalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#78  Edited By VisariLoyalist

@Mikemcn said:

@Ravenlight said:

No Caption Provided

Yep

In-n-out is way better! FISTICUFFS

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#79  Edited By mikemcn

@VisariLoyalist said:

@Mikemcn said:

@Ravenlight said:

No Caption Provided

Yep

Don't have an In and Out near me, and the Five Guys only opened up in my area a year ago or so, we're but simple country folk out here who lack access to your fancy burgers.

OldGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By OldGuy
@DuskVamp: Let's move away from cities, shall we?

Yosemite (California), Grand Canyon (Arizona), Yellowstone (Wyoming, Montana and Idaho), Glacier (Montana), Grand Teton (Wyoming), Great Smoky Mountains (Tennessee and North Carolina), Everglades (Florida) and Olympic (Washington) are all super places to visit. I'd probably put Yosemite at the top of my list and have a hard time ordering the rest, stick 'em in a hat and pick one at random!

The way I do it is to get the trail guide for the park and cross off all the hikes of less than 1.5 miles (3km) and within 100 yards (meters) of the beginning of the hike everyone else disappears (well, if you want to see the big attractions you can't completely do that... but still).

Whilst touring an unfarmiliar burg, if you want to find the good eats (or, at least, the typical fare), look for where the cops are parked (but don't have their party hats going) and you've likely just found the best cheap food in town. 

If you're going to be driving twixt destinations and you don't have time pressure, stay off the interstates. Much the better to see the place.

If you want to hit up an Amusement park (I chase roller coaster rides in my spare time) I would steer well clear of almost all of the big places (Six Flags, Cedar Point, etc.). If you hit up NYC you should make a stop at Coney Island to ride The Cyclone and get a dog at Nathans. If you want to visit the best damn park in the country it's going to be as much work as getting to the out of the way National Parks, since Knoebels Amusement Resort is smack dab in the middle of nowhere in Pennsylvania -- but it is 1000% worth the effort. Big important coaster riding tip: Unless you like anything from rough to really rough to spine shortening (depending on the coaster) rides, never sit in the last seat of any car. There are other good places around (oh, great, see now I've written more about this than the National Parks, I'm hopeless) -- hit me up if you want me to point to places near where you plan to be...
OldGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By OldGuy
@Dagbiker said:

And dont get me started on the squirrels.

Just you wait until the stinkbugs invade this summer, you'll forget all your hate for squirrels.
sarge1445

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#82  Edited By sarge1445

SEATTLE

GooieGreen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By GooieGreen

@Mikemcn said:

@VisariLoyalist said:

@Mikemcn said:

@Ravenlight said:

No Caption Provided

Yep

Don't have an In and Out near me, and the Five Guys only opened up in my area a year ago or so, we're but simple country folk out here who lack access to your fancy burgers.

Don't play into their games. In-n-out is a stop I always make when I'm in Cali, but their fries have no meat to them. Whether thin and soggy or well-done, they aren't anything to talk about. Oh, and the burgers there are pretty decent.

East Side, reppin' it!

PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By PeasantAbuse

If it's possible for you guys, go to Hawaii. I went to Maui last summer and had a great time.

If you can't manage that then head to southern California.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By NTM

@sarge1445 said:

SEATTLE

@Kandycane2029 said:

Seattle. Awesome city.

@ShadowConqueror said:

Seattle.

@Animasta said:

pacific northwest is pretty dope... can't go wrong with Seattle.

Yes, Seattle is the best place to come, it's almost summer time, and so it'll be pretty nice over here. People are nice, and there are a lot of interesting places down town you can go to if you'd like. If not, there's always the nature scene to it. You just can go wrong with Seattle, I think a lot of people that moved here from either another state or country would agree. I think the only downside to it is if you hate rain. Also, for some reason I always hear people saying "I'm moving to WA." Which means it must be a nice destination to come to. If you're interested, we can tell you of some places to go.

wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By wrighteous86

@NTM said:

I think the only downside to it is if you hate rain.

Well, she is from the UK...

ThePickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#87  Edited By ThePickle

@Ravenlight said:

No Caption Provided

Hasn't Five Guys reached national status yet? If not, this country is really headed down the tube.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

#88  Edited By Kidavenger

@ThePickle said:

No Caption Provided

@Ravenlight said:

Hasn't Five Guys reached national status yet? If not, this country is really headed down the tube.

We have them in Canada now, so they are international!

As far as places to visit, Florida isn't a bad place to go for a week, lots of wildlife and touristy stuff to do there, maybe a bit hot in the summer though.

ThePickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#89  Edited By ThePickle

@Kidavenger said:

@ThePickle said:

@Ravenlight said:

No Caption Provided

We have them in Canada now, so they are international!

Do you still get your fries from Idaho or is there some Canadian Idaho equivalent?

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

#90  Edited By Kidavenger

@ThePickle: I've actually never been to a Canadian one, but most Canadian potatoes come from PEI.

Witzig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By Witzig

Go to Moab in Utah and to see the Arch but stay away from SLC (because of horrible pollution) and if your planning to drink bring out of state booze if you want to save a pretty penny.

PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By PrivateIronTFU

If you love rain, come to Seattle.

If you hate rain, stay as far away from Seattle as possible. Until summer comes around.

But seriously, not just Seattle. The entire Pacific Northwest in general. Especially the coast.

goodwood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By goodwood

If your looking for wildlife check out Yosemite National Park. In central California.

SSValis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By SSValis

San Francisco of course

jorbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#96  Edited By jorbear

Idaho. Potatoes and shit.

Juicebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By Juicebox

L.A. is only good if you know where to go. When people say L.A. they don't mean downtown where's there's traffic and places of business, they mean the surrounding areas(the beaches, Big bear, Venice beach, San Fernando valley of porn, Hollywood, shopping malls,Parks, mountain side views,China town, Korea town,all the different food). It's all about knowing where to go. There's people who have lived here their entire life and still haven't discovered everything there is in L.A.

Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#98  Edited By Karmum

Camden, New Jersey.

Toxeia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By Toxeia

If you make it into Texas, San Antonio Riverwalk might be nice. Alot of the San Antonio and Austin area is nice for scenery. If it's a road trip, look up Boerne, Tx. I haven't been there since I was a teenager, but some of the most beautiful scenery in Texas. I recall watching fawn drink water from a stream behind my godmother's home.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cc8838532af0
deactivated-5cc8838532af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

@NegativeCero said:

NYC. And the weather is getting nicer, so that helps.