Which classic horror should I catch in theaters?: A Nightmare on Elm Street ('84) or Night of the Living Dead ('68)

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

Poll Which classic horror should I catch in theaters?: A Nightmare on Elm Street ('84) or Night of the Living Dead ('68) (87 votes)

A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984) 46%
Night of the Living Dead (1968) 46%
peep the poll 8%

Couple theaters near me are showing these films for a couple days for Halloween.

Which one should see? Haven't seen either.

• 
BallsLeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Nightmare on Elm Street, but you really want to see Evil Dead 2 or the The Thing.

BrunoTheThird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Night of the Living Dead is more influential and important, but hasn't aged amazingly. Nightmare... holds up fairly well in the make-up department in comparison, but a common reaction these days might be to laugh rather than be scared. It's a risk with Freddy. He's kind of a hoot.

I think you'll have a better time with Nightmare. Go for it.

Avatar image for do_the_manta_ray
Do_The_Manta_Ray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh, hey, that's fun. I'd recommend "A Nightmare on Elm Street" above "Night of the Living Dead", the latter is more a time-piece at this point. It can definitely be enjoyable if you're just generally excited about the genre, and want to learn more about how it came about, but I think "A Nightmare..." is just going to be a better time overall. That thing has aged, and is campy as all hell, but in the right way. I'd say bring a friend if you can, chew some popcorn and enjoy.

CujoPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You could have fun at either of the movies. They are kind of an apples to oranges comparison despite being from the genre. Personally, I voted Night of the Living Dead because I would always be in the mood to watch that movie, but Nightmare also has its charm. Sounds like you can't lose. Have fun!

Giantstalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 2

It's gotta be Nightmare

Avatar image for fear_the_booboo
Fear_the_Booboo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By Fear_the_Booboo

I voted Night of the Living Dead cause it's the better movie. Both are good though, you can't go wrong!

CreepingDeath0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think it depends heavily on what version of NotLD they are showing. I'd look to see that film in theatres, assuming it isn't cut down or with edited in scenes.

Nightmare on Elm Street is the safest bet.

Avatar image for shivermetimbers
shivermetimbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

The 1968 version of Night of the Living Dead is superb. I still think it holds up as a great horror movie and social commentary. Nightmare on Elm Street is an above average slasher movie. It all depends on what you want. I've probably seen Nightmare more than Night of the Living Dead, but if I had to pick to see one with a crowd, I'd pick Night of the Living Dead any day.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

#9  Edited By Kidavenger

Night of the Living Dead is best watched at home with the lights out.

Nightmare on Elm Street is a popcorn movie to watch in the theater.

PavlovianHell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By PavlovianHell

Oh this is a tough one. My vote goes to Nightmare on elm street.

Seeing a classically trained actor like a Robert Englund use that classic training to create something like Freddy was and still is something fantastic. The character became more.... Kichsy as the series went on, which was fun in its own way, but that first time....

Baal_Sagoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Very difficult decision. Nightmare on Elm Street might be the safer bet if you're at all into trashy horror flicks, but I voted Night of the Living Dead. I fucking love that movie - a true classic.

BoringK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

Night of the Living Dead, no contest.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#13  Edited By TheHT

I wanna go with Night of the Living Dead, but Nightmare of Elm Street just seems like it'd be more fun to see on the big screen.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

Went to see A Nightmare on Elm Street. I'll be able to catch the original Halloween tonight. Haven't seen that either. :D

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I'd love to see the whole Elm Street series on the big screen. Those movies were made for theaters.

dudeington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I agree with the general consensus here. Night of the Living Dead is a great movie but The Opportunity to see Nightmare... On the big screen with an like-minded audience probably shouldn't be passed up.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b031d0e868a5
deactivated-5b031d0e868a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 4

I really should sit down and watch both of these movies.

dichemstys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Elm Street is a lot of fun. Go with that if you're in a full-on fun Halloween mood.