Which is your favourite Marvel series on Netflix?

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

sweep  Moderator

Poll Which is your favourite Marvel series on Netflix? (308 votes)

Daredevil season 01 21%
Daredevil season 02 9%
Jessica Jones 37%
Luke Cage 9%
Iron Fist 3%
Show me the results! 20%

Jessica Jones and Daredevil season 02 stand out to me as the best so far, and while Luke Cage and Iron Fist have more interesting backstories I thought both the writing and fight scenes were less creative.

• 
mems1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By mems1224

I think Daredevil is my favorite. I would have gone for season 2 because of that stairwell fight alone but it kind of fell apart towards the end of the season. I never finished Jessica Jones because I just got bored and I watched like 2 episodes of Luke Cage and I liked the soundtrack more than the show. Haven't seen Iron Fist and probably won't. I'm usually Marvel guy but right now the DCW TV shows are trouncing Marvel's

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Luke Cage started out very strong, but got super corny towards the end. Jessica Jones was never quite as good, but was more consistently good. Then, overstayed its welcome by 4-5 episodes. Daredevil has some great moments with characters like Kingpin and The Punisher, but the lead character is its weakest point. It also feels pretty formulaic a lot of the time. Daredevil gets the crap beaten out of him. His friends berate him and tell him to stop. He doesn't. Wash, rinse, repeat.

Not sure I'm going to watch Iron Fist.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e6e407163fd7
deactivated-5e6e407163fd7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Just watched the first episode of Legion and I already like the tone of that show a lot more than any Marvel show so far. I'm sure it will temper that tone as the story progresses as it seems the first ep is the point at which the main character is most in the dark.

Netflix specifically: Daredevil season 1. 2 had some episodes that felt filler, but had some amazing fight sequences. The ending was a mix bag for me; there were some real holy shit moments, some saw that coming moments, and some cringe moments.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

Jessica Jones I guess. None of them are grade A material to me, though I did really enjoy Jessica Jones. I was very excited for Luke Cage, but jeez it got real dumb with Luke holding Shakespearish monologues in that police station that were super cheesy, then everyone acting as if he just said some legendary shit.

aktivity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Daredevil remains my favorite, with Luke Cage in the second spot. I didn't dislike Jessica Jones, but it felt too stretched out.
I've yet to finish Iron Fist, but I see myself placing it at the bottom of the list. Which sucks because Iron Fist is definitely my favorite Marvel character out of this group.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#6 MattyFTM  Moderator

I really loved Jessica Jones. It is such a dark story, drastically different from the traditional Marvel superheroes running around in tights of The Avengers and most of the other big blockbuster superhero stuff.

Shivoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

Luke Cage started out very strong, but got super corny towards the end. Jessica Jones was never quite as good, but was more consistently good. Then, overstayed its welcome by 4-5 episodes. Daredevil has some great moments with characters like Kingpin and The Punisher, but the lead character is its weakest point. It also feels pretty formulaic a lot of the time. Daredevil gets the crap beaten out of him. His friends berate him and tell him to stop. He doesn't. Wash, rinse, repeat.

Not sure I'm going to watch Iron Fist.

Ye, pretty much this. Luke Cage just really leans into absurd "comic book"-y for the ending in the worst possible way (the earlier callbacks to comic wardrobe etc are really good but just... that final episode, what were they thinking?) so while JJ never quite finds the same flow and peaks, it's got to be my favourite. DD would be pretty hard to watch without the villains and Night Nurse to elevate it, even if some of the fights are pretty impressive.

cyberbloke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By cyberbloke

Jessica Jones for me, mostly for David Tennant's villain.

BrunoTheThird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By BrunoTheThird

I really liked Luke Cage. Amazing soundtrack, and the death of (spoilers) Cottonmouth was extremely well done. Alfre Woodard is utterly captivating as the crooked councilwoman.

They can lean into the absurd comic book shit all they like in my opinion. I was into it more than any of the other Marvel shows which come across way colder and cornier in my opinion. I get so much warmth from its cast.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fisk in season 1 of daredevil made the entire marvel netflix stuff shine. Then jessica jones's david tennant comes in second. I think a show is as good as its villian and those two are the best. Luke cage was pretty good with cottonmouth but it didn't seem to want to focus onba singular villian for too long. They just didn't do enough cool stuff with them, although the final couple episodes were kinda hilarious.

EthanielRain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Daredevil S2, only because of the Punisher...can't wait for his own show to come out, been waiting for that for 25 years :D

I really liked the villain in Jessica Jones too.

Cameron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Cameron

As someone who doesn't know much about the comics or histories of these characters, Jessica Jones by a mile. It's a little too drawn out at times, but they do a great job of making her vulnerable to the villain and keeping the story interesting. I liked the first half of Luke Cage (the episodes with Cottonmouth), but it really gets silly after that. Their solution to a bulletproof guy is to try a bigger gun with magic space bullets, ugh. Daredevil has fun fight scenes, but I don't really like any of the hero characters. Fisk is interesting, but not enough to carry the show by himself.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Jessica Jones is perfect to me, and probably won't get topped by any of the marvel/Netflix shows. Definitely one of my favorite seasons of television.

WarlordPayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Season 1 of Daredevil for sure, the main villains of the second season were pretty boring. Luke Cage was okay but the last third was bad. Jessica Jones was awful. David Tennant was the only thing propping that show up. The action scenes were laughably bad, the side characters were a disgrace, and the show was around twice as long as it should have been and dragged horribly.

I haven't finished Iron Fist yet, but so far they've spent way too much time on the jerks at the business for me. Unless they have some sort of huge payoff in the last few episodes it all feels like wasted time.

stryker1121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DD Season 1 was the most consistently good season so far. I liked Jessica Jones, but it had a rough beginning and sagged toward the end.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

Jessica Jones was really great. Spot on casting, no Foggy hospital speeches, and a strong central villain. Luke Cage was too full of coincidental plot cliches for my tastes, but it has room to grow to be one of my favorites. Daredevil's never really worked for me as a character because the one interesting thing about him - his blindness - is offset immediately by his superpowers, which defeats any sort of purpose in seeing someone overcome their disadvantages. That said, though Wilson Fisk is terrific.

stackboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

Nothing really beats Daredevil.

Deathstriker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Daredevil > Jessica Jones > Iron Fist > Luke Cage

I don't really see the need to separate the DD seasons since it's all the same show. DD is better than the rest, probably a 8.8; the other three shows are about even - more or less 7.9s each.

Tom_omb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've enjoyed them all so far, but I'm only about half way finished watching Iron Fist. I'd day Jessica Jones is my favourite. Mostly because of David Tennant.

Relkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I voted JJ, but really it's the first few episodes of Daredevil Season 2. Basically everything up until the Punisher gets arrested.

vocalcannibal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not a big fan of Marvel properties in general, but I love Jessica Jones. I rewatched it a month or two ago and while there are certain places I see so clearly where the storytelling could have been tightened up, I love what it is as a whole. Jessica and Trish had a really well written relationship and I love them. Kilgrave's entire arc was scary and tense from beginning to end.

But the cop boyfriend sucked and ruined a lot of the second half of the season. Malcolm started super interesting as a side character but went downhill as the support group/neighbor that hated Jessica stuff dragged on. It was jarring to have so much great stuff and then get these confusing asides that just seemed flat out badly written. I hope they take their time with season 2 and fix the weirdness.

Avatar image for deactivated-629ec706f0783
deactivated-629ec706f0783

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jessica Jones hand downs. I think it had the least of that "middle of the season bore" and David Tennant was fucking spectacular. I love me some Kristen Rtter and think she was amazing as well, but Tennant's Kilgrave was bone-chilling.

KaleFactory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#25  Edited By KaleFactory

@sloppydetective: Legion is sooo good, and while that first episode is definitely a treat, it gets even weirder in the later episodes. The last few that have aired... I don't think I've seen TV that weird since Twin Peaks.

For the Netflix shows though it's got to be Jessica Jones, mainly just for David Tennant.

huser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Daredevil S1 was pretty good, S2 started great then really petered out. Though in regards to S2, I will say for a guy so concerned about never crossing the line of killing, Matt kinda just went with the flow in S1 (and in S2) about the death of Nobu. Almost thought he hadn't actually died given how Matt never brought it up and seemed so adamant about arguing his side of things to Frank.

LostOddity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm super surprised to see Jessica Jones winning this. Of my friends that watch this kinda stuff I can only think of 1 that actually watched it all the way through. And he didn't even like it. Most people I talk to about it say the same thing. That the main actress pushed them off straight away. Same thing for me - she is just super unlikable.

My pick would be Daredevil S1. I liked the Punisher stuff in S2 as well but the Elektra stuff tanked it.

Haven't finished Iron Fist yet but i mostly like it so far. The main guys acting is a bit spotty and the fight choreography could be better for a martial arts show. I really like the guy that plays the dickhead brother. He was really good in Banshee I'm happy to see him in more stuff.

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jessica Jones is the most consistently strong, but still has a weak last third.

Daredevil Season 1 is good, but spends too much time on the Kingpin. They completely take the wind out of his sails as a villain.

Daredevil Season 2 has probably the strongest first half of any of them. Once the Punisher arch slows down and they focus on the Hand, it burns out. Also has a terrible last episode.

Luke Cage starts strong, but completely falls apart once they drop Cotton Mouth. It is the most egregious example of wheel spinning I could ever give. I honestly would suggest new views to drop the show after the prison episode, because it never comes close to being as good as that episode.

Avatar image for alwaysbebombing
alwaysbebombing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

We all know the Punisher is going to be the best

Avatar image for colonel_pockets
Colonel_Pockets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 46

I voted Daredevil season 2. That was the one that easily kept me entertained throughout the whole season. The Punisher is awesome. The fighting is awesome. Elektra is awesome. There was just so much to like. I don't understand why people think Jessica Jones is so good. The highs in Jessica Jones are pretty God damn high, but there were too many lows. Some characters were awful and the decisions certain characters were making made no sense. It really took me out of it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a0917a2494ce
deactivated-5a0917a2494ce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

Daredevil Season 1 was a lot of fun but Season 2 was terrible except for the Punisher. I didn't like any of the others.

huser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cameron said:

As someone who doesn't know much about the comics or histories of these characters, Jessica Jones by a mile. It's a little too drawn out at times, but they do a great job of making her vulnerable to the villain and keeping the story interesting. I liked the first half of Luke Cage (the episodes with Cottonmouth), but it really gets silly after that. Their solution to a bulletproof guy is to try a bigger gun with magic space bullets, ugh. Daredevil has fun fight scenes, but I don't really like any of the hero characters. Fisk is interesting, but not enough to carry the show by himself.

Yeah. They got silly in Luke Cage. The solution to an invincible hero is to present threats that can hurt him regardless of his unbreakable skin and targets that can't be taken out with super punches. The councilwoman (ie a corrupt government) seemed like the perfect foil for all the good Luke was trying to do in his little corner of the world. Brighten up the sinking ship. I kinda hated the second half of that season.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By sweep  Moderator

I think most of the series are empowering; Daredevil is blind, struggling with the ethics of fighting crime. Jessica Jones is fighting back against her abuser, while simultaneously trying to cope with the trauma of his involvement in her life. Even Luke Cage, which I found the least interesting of the other series, manages to explore what it means to be an ex-con African American involved in cleaning up his local neighborhood. The latter is undermined by some cartoonish plot development, but whatever.

Iron Fist is a white billionaire fighting a bunch of Ninjas. I know that holds true to the source material, but they don't do anything interesting with it. It's not well written, and I found myself getting increasingly frustrated by how completely obtuse Danny Rand is. He seems to be repeatedly manipulated in the most obvious ways, and despite living in a monastery and meditating for 15 years he still doesn't understand how anything works. For someone who's supposed to be the greatest kung fu warrior he also seems to get his ass kicked by basic street thugs surprisingly often. More often than not his flurries of little punches seem underwhelming, and enemies mostly fall down from exhaustion as oppose to because Daredevil just broke their fucking legs or because Luke Cage just smashed their head through a wall. I know which is more entertaining to watch.

HoboZero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sweep: IF doesn't really pick a theme to explore, which is disappointing. At one point, there was a glimpse that they might be going for "man who is emotionally stunted because of his obsession with a childhood pursuit which convinced him he was 'special' and a 'chosen one', and who only thinks to use violence to solve problems", but, nope, that never happened. Probably would have been easy to go that direction (and a few others too) and be culturally relevant. Would have even been a clever response to the criticisms of them hiring a white actor (Danny learning about his limited emotional intelligence and discovering his privilege, etc.).

All that on top of the fact that the film had worse fight choreography than an episode of The Golden Girls :(

I should have watched Westworld instead :( wasted weekend.

gemkopon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By gemkopon

As of 2015, Longmire, the former A&E Network series will be coming to Netflix. It’s an exceptionally series and I recommend it to everyone,

Shivoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#36  Edited By Shivoa
@hobozero said:

@sweep: IF doesn't really pick a theme to explore, which is disappointing. At one point, there was a glimpse that they might be going for "man who is emotionally stunted because of his obsession with a childhood pursuit which convinced him he was 'special' and a 'chosen one', and who only thinks to use violence to solve problems", but, nope, that never happened. Probably would have been easy to go that direction (and a few others too) and be culturally relevant. Would have even been a clever response to the criticisms of them hiring a white actor (Danny learning about his limited emotional intelligence and discovering his privilege, etc.).

All that on top of the fact that the film had worse fight choreography than an episode of The Golden Girls :(

I should have watched Westworld instead :( wasted weekend.

Ye, some eps into IF and... I'm not sure why I'm watching. Certainly nothing onscreen is demanding full attention so background viewing. When you're making a kung fu series and you can't even choreograph the fights to be worth looking up from a magazine for then something has gone terribly wrong. Wonder how this script didn't get thrown back because there seems to be nothing in it.

Westworld is very much ideal viewing for the way it's all about interactive experiences (games) with enough going on that they're calling out the plot twists several episodes before the reveals, as long as you're looking for them. Gives plenty of room for speculation on top of some very solid performances.

ATastySlurpee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Daredevil S1 (Still the best. Brutal and has the best villain in the MCU)

Daredevil S2 (Punisher!)

Jessica Jones (Purple Man was cool for about 8 episodes and then it dragged for a bit)

Iron Fist (Slow, but picks up at the end, Lack of real villain )

Luke Cage (slow & boring 75% of the time. Good villain(s) though)

WynnDuffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By WynnDuffy

Probably would be Daredevil S2 for me but I'm not a big fan of these Netflix shows. I don't think any of the lead characters/actors are very charismatic. I think there's a way to combine the charisma of some of the Marvel movie portrayals with the darker tone of the Netflix shows but they haven't found it yet.

hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

As a series overall, Jones. Maybe Daredevil season 1 too.

All the Netflix series has this problem were things tend to take forever to be resolved, and they drag it more and more in order to justify 13 hours long seasons. Which I thing killed a lot of momentum in Daredevil season 2 and Luke Cage.

Jessica Jones had that issue as well, but I think the filler was better handled and didn't drag the series so much.

jadegl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#40  Edited By jadegl

Daredevil S1 was the most complete, to me at least.

After S1 of DD, I would put Jessica Jones followed by Luke Cage and then the second season of DD. I loved everything that had to do with Punisher in S2, but the ninja stuff was a chore to slog through and I felt like Elektra was not as well realized as other characters in the show (Fisk, Daredevil, Punisher). It was still awesome, just not as awesome as I was hoping.

And I haven't had the chance to watch Iron Fist yet. :D

Inresurrection

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wonder if I should watch any of these. Been kind of craving a good superhero thing lately, which is really weird for me, because I typically couldn't care less about anything superhero-related.

Zirilius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Daredevil Season 2 simply because of the Punisher. John Bernthal was freaking amazing and I cannot wait until the standalone season comes out.

In order for me

DaredevilD S2, Jessica Jones, DareDevil S1, Luke Cage, Iron Fist.

I actually enjoyed Iron Fist despite its flaws but it fails to stand above any of the others. Shades and Cottonmouth are the only reason Luke Cage stands above Iron Fist.

Bane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jessica Jones. Kilgrave is fucking terrifying. He's just so nonchalantly sociopathic with his powers. He makes a typical supervillian seem like a caricature of evil by comparison. I think Marvel's going to be hard pressed to top that. And David Tennant was so good. I can still hear him yelling "Jessicaaaa!"

John1912

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By John1912

Surprised people like Jessica Jones. I thought it was easily the worst of the bunch by a wide margin. Whats her name was pretty one note with her acting. Story was not interesting. Even David Tennant was far from great imo. Fight scenes were crazy bad. Horrible cuts showing off her powers. I mean they literally shot nothing but her feet leaving the ground in one scene as she was supposed to leap a huge distance carrying someone. Tossing guys around it looks like she didnt even touch them. Hackney scenes trashing rooms of furniture.

Avatar image for viciousbearmauling
ViciousBearMauling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Daredevil S2 only because of the Punisher.

Jessica Jones is close behind though.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

Jessica Jones was my favorite, probably because it wasted the least time on bullshit superhero stuff that we always have to overlook like Daredevil's boring "double life but I can't tell anyone" or Luke Cage's "How do you make a good action sequence when you're immune to everything" or "should I kill or not"... there were no speeches about morality. It was a believable story about someone burdened with powers and responsibilities they'd rather not have but just not being quite enough of an asshole to stay on the sidelines forever.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Daredevil, Jessica Jones, and Luke Cage are all fantastic but I'm gonna go with DD season 1 because it's the tightest, most coherent, and most consistent.

Punisher though....That's going to be the best one. I've been a Punisher fan since....well, DD season 2. Read a lot of Garth Ennis' stuff. So fucking excited for that show. It will have the Hannibal showrunner.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

I like Luke Cage and Jessica Jones most I think, to be general. In my mind they are all B-B+ type shows which often drop to C level. Some scenes in some episodes hit an A. I'm a fan of the Marvel stuff in general because, well, I am such a comic book fan. But none of these shows are really close to what I hoped for when I first heard about this, and in general I've dropped all my expectations quite heavily. I'm still enjoying what they're doing however! While Ironfist so far is not very exciting for me, I do feel like this project is generally on an upwards trend.

Really the Luke Cage soundtrack is the best thing they've done, so, props to that.