Which Movie was better Godzilla or Pacific Rim

• 58 results
Chocobodude3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 18

Poll Which Movie was better Godzilla or Pacific Rim (222 votes)

Godzilla 42%
Pacific Rim 56%
 • 
Avatar image for viciousbearmauling
ViciousBearMauling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

While Pacific Rim was pretty awesome, the acting is much better in Godzilla.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#2  Edited By MooseyMcMan

Hm... I think Pacific Rim had the better fights, overall, but I disliked the non-monster parts in Godzilla less...

I'm going to vote for Godzilla, but that's probably mostly because of nostalgia for the older ones. Well, now that I think about it, I remember finding a lot of Pacific Rim kinda boring. Not the fights, or Ron Perlman, but the rest was boring. I wasn't bored during Godzilla, even if the main dude was not good.

CreepingDeath0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Pacific Rim, easily. Godzilla just wasnt enjoyable to watch for me. The human element (the majority of the film) was uninteresting and the main actor had the charisma of wet cardboard. Charlie Hunman and Idris Elba at least make the human parts of Pacific Rim interesting.

Achaemenid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Achaemenid

@creepingdeath0: I agree completely. I just got out of the theater and Godzilla was honestly kind of disappointing. All the human stuff was way too dominant, especially considering how boring it was. All the characters where just really meh. Pacific Rim was way more fun and interesting not to mention just plain imaginative.

face15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I haven't seen Godzilla yet but I have a hard time imagining it's better than Pacific Rim. Especially from the trailers it seems like it probably takes itself waaaaay too seriously.

mowgers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By mowgers

Pacific Rim. I think its maybe a little unwise to directly compare the two because they aren't necessarily the same genre. Godzilla is a monster movie (which should be about the monster first and the people second). Pacific Rim is a Super Robot movie (which should be the other way round, humans and their giant robos first, monsters second). Godzilla didn't have enough of it's titular beastie (though the bits with Godzilla were great), and the human drama fell flat. And while Pacific Rim had some fairly dire writing, it had loads of genuinely great robot vs monster action and the human characters actually had stories, they weren't just there for set dressing. Mako manages to stand up and prove herself, and avenge her family. Raleigh finds something to live for. Not the deepest character development, sure, but its there.

Simply put, Pacific Rim knew exactly what it was trying to be and succeeded at that, no more, no less. Godzilla felt like it was trying to justify itself, trying not to blow the one thing it really had, Godzilla, early, and ended up falling flat.

consoleui

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I liked both movies, but I think Godzilla wins it for me. While everything in Pacific Rim was pretty cool, I actually got a shiver down my spine while watching Godzilla and you see him for the first time and he does his trademark roar. Though I'm a pretty big Godzilla fan some I'm probably biased.

doctordonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Dude.

Giant robot carrying a fuckin' tanker into a fight and using it as a sword, with that riff playing in the background. Godzilla is good, but the theater I went to was so hyped up for Pacific Rim.

So much screaming, so much fun.

KentonClay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

If the Ken Watanabe character was the protagonist instead of generic army dude #29481 and his cardboard cutout family, I think Godzilla would have been way more interesting. As it stands, the human stuff in Godzilla was really dull. As much as I appreciate a slow build, you need enough substance to support that kind of pacing.

Gotta go with Pacific Rim.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kentonclay: Yeah, all the human stuff in the movie should have been Watanabe and Bryan Cranston yelling at each other. Now THAT would have been a great movie!

Avatar image for deactivated-5985ee6460d86
deactivated-5985ee6460d86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I felt both films suffer from underdeveloped action sequences. What I mean by that is that they never lead yo to the action, so it feels flat. No awe moments imo, something you would have expected from giant monsters.

Also the "human" element is very bland on both, but I felt Cranston brought some energy in Godzilla while PR was just an embarrassment. It felt like Tumblr decided to make a film and out came out PR.

In the end, I would say Godzilla was better thxs for the small amount of time Cranston is in and the visuals look better.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

Neither. I didn't like Pacific Rim that much and I am not interested in the new Godzilla movie.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pacific Rim > All Godzilla Films ever put together

not really but yes really

yakov456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gotta be honest, I thought for sure I would like this Godzilla better than PR but it didn't turn out that way. It was so sad and disappointing coming out of the theater. The actual monster stuff in GZ was amazing but it equated to about 15 minutes screen time. Argh I'm so let down. The movie is one big tease.

KillEm_Dafoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

#15  Edited By KillEm_Dafoe

Just got back from seeing Godzilla, and while I certainly liked it, I couldn't help but come away disappointed. I was okay with the slow pacing, as all I had heard that the payoff in the end was worth it. Turns out that was not the case, as the action in the finale just doesn't deliver the goods. The fight is too broken up and has practically no momentum. There are some real cool moments, and Godzilla himself was fucking badass, there just needed to be more of him. Plus, as has already been mentioned, the human characters were not that compelling. Ken Watanabe was cool, though he wasn't given that much to do other than have a revelation every 5 minutes. Killing off Bryan Cranston in the first act was a huge mistake, as his character showed the most promise, and his acting ability would've added a lot more energy to the rest of the movie.

So yeah, I still liked it, but it doesn't come close to the spectacle of Pacific Rim. That movie had it's own weird pacing issues, but it's a dumb movie that is completely self-aware and never takes itself too seriously. The first time I saw PR I had a huge grin on my face almost the entire time, and when the action finally gets going in it, it's fucking beautiful. It's just pure, ridiculous fun. Pacific Rim was my favorite film from last year, whereas Godzilla probably won't even scratch my top 10.

impartialgecko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#16  Edited By impartialgecko

This is even a question? How dare you compare Godzilla to a bona-fide masterpiece of cheesy schlock!

MarkWahlberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By MarkWahlberg

Godzilla is the American Diesel to Pacific Rim's Japanese Mecha. Which is weird, considering the former was originally from Japan, and the latter was produced by an American company. Where you come down on it is personal preference. Here are some easy ways of distinguishing the two:

-Godzilla was evenly good, but not exactly great, throughout. Pacific Rim bounced from being kinda shit to kinda amazing and back again.

-Godzilla had Godzilla. Pacific Rim had giant robots with swords.

-Godzilla had a roughly similar plotline to World War Z. Pacific Rim had a roughly similar plotline to Neon Genesis Evangelion.

-Godzilla had the same ending as Dark Knight Rises. Pacific Rim had the same ending as The Avengers.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There's a new Godzilla film?

I respect the original Godzilla film far more, but enjoyed Pacific Rim far more.

regularassmilk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pacific Rim was terrible. It was a bad movie, and didn't even manage to be fun to watch. The design was only okay, and I expected something better all around from Del Toro. One of my biggest letdowns in a while.

Bones8677

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think Godzilla is an overall better movie, especially if a director's cut ever gets released. But Pacific Rim is much more enjoyable.

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Haven't seen Gozilla yet, but I doubt it will live up to the raw absurdity and self awareness of Pacific Rim (I fucking love that movie).

Whitestripes09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I liked Pacific Rim for it's originality and unique style, but the whole middle part of that movie is sluggish and boring. Godzilla even though technically had less action scenes, seemed more intense and jaw dropping, though that could just be nostalgia from seeing past Godzilla movies.... Plus all the hype towards the big fight at the end was well worth it in my opinion.

I really loved Pacific Rim with what it had to offer and I want to see more for sure, but Godzilla was just so much more epic in terms of scale and apocalyptic destruction. I feel like the monsters in Pacific Rim didn't really live up to the threat that the people perceived in the movie. The majority of the actors in Pacific Rim were pretty terrible as well... at least generic soldier dude acted well with what he was given with.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#24  Edited By Corevi

Haven't seen Godzilla yet but I went into Pacific Rim wanting giant robots punching giant monsters in the face and that's what it delivered, and I couldn't have been happier. From what I've heard Godzilla does not deliver on the monster side very well and that's what I want from a Godzilla movie, if I wanted a serious movie about people and their problems I wouldn't see a movie about a giant radioactive lizard that shoots lasers from it's face. But hey my favourite Godzilla movie is vs. Mechagodzilla so what do I know.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

I love Pacific Rim so this isn't a very fair question. That said, I really disliked Godzilla. It wasn't a good movie. The 'we're not going to show, you just have to imagine it happening' style of the film didn't fit at all, because there was nothing filling the gap. They approached it as if Godzilla was only a fixed point to refer to while another story unfolded. But that story was almost nonexistent. Therefor, focus was drawn away from that story and towards Godzilla and the MOTO's, which only a very small amount of time was spend on. Of course leading to massive disappointment.

That's still not saying anything about the terrible audio choices. Man... I very rarely dislike a movie. The last was Max Payne I think. But damn, Godzilla sure wasn't good.

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I haven't watched Godzilla yet, but I have to admit that I thought that Pacific Rim was pretty boring. I enjoyed it, sure, but it was nowhere what I expected from a movie whose whole premise is "giant robots fighting giant monsters".

dbz1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@mowgers said:

Pacific Rim. I think its maybe a little unwise to directly compare the two because they aren't necessarily the same genre. Godzilla is a monster movie (which should be about the monster first and the people second). Pacific Rim is a Super Robot movie (which should be the other way round, humans and their giant robos first, monsters second).

I think this was my problem with Godzilla - whilst it hyped itself up (by the outstanding trailers, the title, and everything else prior to its release) to be a monster movie, I don't think it really was. Godzilla was the good guy, as such - there was nothing really monstrous about him when he was saving our asses. In fact, his sole objective - to kill Mutos - didn't seem to be for anything else but saving us. He didn't gain any predator points for killing them, there didn't seem to be anything of particular gain for him, he just did it. In short, he was just a human being with the capabilities to surpass human power - which is what I think most 'Super Robot' films are like - emphasised by the whole fire-breathing thing, because we needed to give this monster a cool visual means to beat the bad guy. Godzilla's incomprehension of what it really was is what made it thoroughly disappointing for me. So yeah, Pacific Rim is better.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was rewatching Pacific Rim last night..... I love this film so much.... NOW, IF I WAS HAD ON YOUR POLL READING GODZILLA FINAL WARS, VS Destroya, or Giant Monster Attack, or even the 90s Gamera films, then no, Pacific Rim sucks butt holes. If it was the Pee Wee Herman bike sequence, then no Pacific Rim would suck because that had men in suits and wires and slow movements with sets.

consoleui

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@crithon The only things I remember about Godzilla Final Wars is Godzilla killing the the 1998 American Godzilla in about 10 seconds, and Don Frye's mustache.

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By FancySoapsMan

Pacific Rim had Stringer Bell fighting giant monsters and Charlie Kelly screaming nonsense, so obviously it wins.

saddlebrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#31  Edited By saddlebrown

Pacific Rim wasn't nearly as ridiculous as people made it out to be, but it was fun and had an amazing color pallette.

Godzilla, though, was an incredibly disappointing movie. The pacing was really ragged, pushing things way too fast at the beginning with Bryan Cranston's wife and all that, then slowed down immensely after that. The use of Ken Watanabe was wasted talent at best and racist at worst. Godzilla as a hero to "restore balance" was stupid and made zero sense. The soundtrack was overbearing the entire movie; the tone just wasn't nearly as gritty as the trailer made it out to be; and while the action scenes against the other monsters was kind of cool and everybody in my theater cheered, Godzilla should've been the villain. That's my biggest problem with the movie. Seeing Godzilla courteously swimming around and under navy aircraft carriers was awful.

The only scene I ended up really liking was the halo jump from the trailer, but even that was a little disappointing. They just kind of land on the street. I was really hoping they'd be trying to like, attach explosives to his scales or something. Dangerous stuff.

Cloverfield was pretty much the Godzilla movie I wanted Godzilla to be.

frymillstrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just got back from seeing Godzilla, and while I certainly liked it, I couldn't help but come away disappointed. I was okay with the slow pacing, as all I had heard that the payoff in the end was worth it. Turns out that was not the case, as the action in the finale just doesn't deliver the goods. The fight is too broken up and has practically no momentum. There are some real cool moments, and Godzilla himself was fucking badass, there just needed to be more of him. Plus, as has already been mentioned, the human characters were not that compelling. Ken Watanabe was cool, though he wasn't given that much to do other than have a revelation every 5 minutes. Killing off Bryan Cranston in the first act was a huge mistake, as his character showed the most promise, and his acting ability would've added a lot more energy to the rest of the movie.

So yeah, I still liked it, but it doesn't come close to the spectacle of Pacific Rim. That movie had it's own weird pacing issues, but it's a dumb movie that is completely self-aware and never takes itself too seriously. The first time I saw PR I had a huge grin on my face almost the entire time, and when the action finally gets going in it, it's fucking beautiful. It's just pure, ridiculous fun. Pacific Rim was my favorite film from last year, whereas Godzilla probably won't even scratch my top 10.

Wow, I just dumbly revealed that spoiler tag for no fucking reason. FML.

Jorbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Jorbit

It's a bit unfair because both movies were ultimately going for something different.

Pacific Rim focused way more on the actual monster fights and sort of style associated with giant robots versus giant monsters. Godzilla was mostly about the human reaction to finding out that these creatures exist, and sort of the way they deal with the existence of them. It was all about the human perspective.

That said, I think Godzilla sort of caved into the CGI style of Pacific Rim and showed too much of the fights. I think it was confusing to the viewer because once they caught a glimpse of that, it became a different movie. Then when it would cut away in the middle of one of those scenes the viewer would be confused and left wanting more. If Godzilla stuck to its intentions of being all about the human character's struggle to deal with the Godzilla situation then it would have been better.

I'd still go with Godzilla over PR simply because it felt... more real... I suppose. I was never a fan of the beat'em up CGI buildings exploding kind of action movies.

MeldingPlague

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By MeldingPlague

For my money the two movies were trying to emulate different narrative structures within the same genre. Pacific Rim was looking to be a later Godzilla monster movie, where the human characters were incidental and most of the movie was sweet, sweet monster fights. Godzilla was going for the earlier Godzilla conventions, where there was more human drama and all of the good bits were at the very end in the final showdown. Personally, I like the new Godzilla more. It reminds me of the Godzilla movies I watched repeatedly when I was a kid: Godzilla vs. Mothra, Terror of Mechagodzilla, etc.. I think both movies, Godzilla and Pacific Rim, are both fine and fun, but I went into Godzilla expecting nothing and came out feeling like I had watched a genuine update to a beloved film from my youth.

rflx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I haven't seen Godzilla yet, but I'm almost certain I'll like it better than Pacific Rim, which was a piece of garbage.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By crithon

@consoleui said:

@crithon The only things I remember about Godzilla Final Wars is Godzilla killing the the 1998 American Godzilla in about 10 seconds, and Don Frye's mustache.

Loading Video...

Final Wars got a lot of things right, especially since no one like the human parts in Godzilla films, so then they spent it on this campy over the top elements. Everyone loves the bad dubbing and the weirdness of these moments but yet they drag on. Final War using a action director knew how to just edit all of that down.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
Loading Video...

intro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Godzilla by far.

gatehouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pacific Rim, but that's mainly because a mech smashed a monster around the face with an oil tanker. I liked Godzilla, but I had such a fun time with Pacific RIm and it's utter silliness that I have to give it my vote.

Sanious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Godzilla, I thought it was overall better with the Monster stuff and the Human side of it. I liked Pacific Rim but the fights were definitely more to be over the top "look at this, it is cool" kind of fight where in Godzilla I felt that those were actual fights if the Monsters had actually existed and encountered each other. All the monsters carried weight and you could see that in the fights. The devastating blows felt devastating. When you saw the glow slowly go up Godzilla's tail for the Atomic Breath, I was so pumped. I thought that was done perfectly. Also the fact that the M.U.T.O. weren't just giant monsters trying to kill humans and smash the city was intriguing to me. But I guess maybe ultimately that was their intention.

The human stuff for me wasn't really great in either movie, but with Godzilla I was left with not actually being annoyed with any single character in the movie. It was simple but I thought it was effective for what it was.

Overall Godzilla by itself was a great movie because I didn't find anything in the movie to be too over the top when it comes to it subject matter. I feel too many action movies or monster movies just go way over board with action movies and then the movie becomes how over the top can stuff really get. ie. Michael Bay movie formula.

Avatar image for deactivated-61356eb4a76c8
deactivated-61356eb4a76c8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Godzilla easily. Pacific Rim was so damn boring and the characters so damn unlikable.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

Voting Pacific Rim because Pacific Rim was awesome and I won't see Godzilla till its out on blu-ray.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's probably Pacific Rim, I just love that movie so damn much. I saw Godzilla in IMAX today though and that's pretty great too.

Legion_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bryan Cranston means Godzilla wins.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm stunned how much Godzilla made. What the hell...

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#46  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

Pacific Rim. Who goes into a Godzilla movie for the human element? This Godzilla film is like Aang Lee's Hulk film, that's nice and all but where's Hulk smashing shit.

Avatar image for thebluthcompany
TheBluthCompany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

@sanious: Those wide shots of Godzilla battling the Mutos as San Francisco crumbled were fucking awesome. Also Atomic Breath powerup was real good.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sanious: Those wide shots of Godzilla battling the Mutos as San Francisco crumbled were fucking awesome. Also Atomic Breath powerup was real good.

That's like 10 minutes of a 2 hour ''follow this blend ass character around'' movie

Deusx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pacific Rim. Godzilla was ok.

benspyda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

They both were very similar. A great TV actor doing a bit part(Idris Elba and Bryan Cranston), a very generic lead character and giant monster fights. I think Godzilla is just more badass than the robots were in Pacific Rim and I enjoyed the action in Godzilla more even though there was a lot less of it. Pacific Rim was fine but I enjoyed Godzilla a lot more.

The reveal of Godzilla's laser breathe was way more exciting than anything that happened in Pacific Rim.