Which new TV shows are you liking? (shows still only 1 or 2 seasons deep)

• 74 results
#51 Posted by jerkchicken (53 posts) -

A couple more that haven't been mentioned:

Chance (Hulu) - With Hugh Laurie in the lead as a neuropsychiatrist, I was afraid this was going to be a "House" clone, but it turned into a pretty good psychological thriller with some noir elements.

Crashing (HBO)- an aspiring stand up comedian from a sheltered background tries to make it in the NYC comedy scene

#52 Posted by liquiddragon (3555 posts) -

Sorry to bump an old thread but recently went through Mindhunter and man, that's a great show. I only wish I checked it out sooner.

#53 Posted by TheHT (15890 posts) -

Preacher - I was real worried about this not getting another season just because of how weird it is, but apparently season three starts later this month, so great!

American Gods - Worried about this one for another reason altogether. I really, really, really hope this show's whole vibe and quality doesn't take too big a hit from dropping the showrunners. Looks like there wasn't just tension between them and producers about budget, but also clashes with Neil Gaiman himself about the direction of season two. Gaiman is apparently getting more involved with season two, alongside the new showrunner who worked on Hannibal as well. Fingers crossed!

Sorry to bump an old thread but recently went through Mindhunter and man, that's a great show. I only wish I checked it out sooner.

Hell yeah it is!

#54 Edited by Brackstone (962 posts) -

I'm going to take advantage of this thread bump to tell everyone to go watch Atlanta right now, it's probably the best show on tv, and it finished it's second season not long ago. I'm amazed no one has mentioned it yet.

Bryan Tyree Henry deserves some awards for what he's doing.

#55 Edited by Shiftygism (1129 posts) -

@brackstone: Season two was incredible. Glover and Co. absolutely nailed 90's middle school life with that FUBU episode. So many great moments this year, and it was nice how they spread the love to each of the four characters, in a way a few installments had the feel of a contemporary Seinfeld with some of the situations they'd land themselves in. Really great stuff.

#56 Posted by Deo_Brando (54 posts) -

@conmulligan: I love this show! I look forward to the new season!

#57 Posted by Casepb (779 posts) -

Loving the Orville and season 2 is coming out December.

#58 Posted by nutter (2397 posts) -

This thread coming back brings up a few thoughts:

1) Taboo is still great and that second season needs to get here

2) Ash vs. Evil Dead being cancelled is a crime

3) Westworld took a sharp left into a pile of shit between seasons 1 and 2

Avatar image for not_a_bumblebee
#59 Posted by not_a_bumblebee (153 posts) -

Both Legion and Atlanta on FX are incredible. Legion is easily the best non-animated superhero show and on par with Logan as best X-Men related live action anything. Basically the show is a mindfuck of a bad trip as the guise of a show following the adventures of the world's most powerful psychic and bastard son of Charles Xavier, David Haller AKA Legion. The show features two of my favorite actors in Dan Stevens and Aubrey Plaza.

Atlanta is one of the funniest and weirdest comedies I've seen in a long time. Last season featured one of the most genuinely disturbing and scary episodes of a show I've seen from any show in an episode entitled Teddy Perkins.

Avatar image for nicholas_attano
#60 Posted by Nicholas_Attano (19 posts) -

the Good Place :)

#61 Posted by cameron15 (5 posts) -

I like American Gods. really nice show with unusual scenario

#62 Edited by MonkeyKing1969 (7696 posts) -

@nicholas_attano said:

the Good Place :)

I marathon watched "The Good Place" a few months ago...I liked it. Kristen Bell and her husband Dax Shepard are too funny.

I just started watching Neon Genesis Evangelion on Netflix. I hear you are not supposed to read too much into the symbolism of the show...so I'm not. But, I'm going in blind because all I know what they show is there are several "organic mecha" called EVEs; they fight things called "angels" and so far the have hinted at and "ADAM" project and that all the so-called "angels" have 99.89 % human DNA or RNA...something. All that is from seeing 10 shows, which just makes me think this attack stuff is all a gaslight

#63 Edited by Pooch516 (11 posts) -

@monkeyking1969: So with all the commotion of the series on Netflix, do you think it holds up? I don't watch much anime but kind of want to watch this because it's so heavily talked about. All I know is there are robots and teen piloting them.

People who have watched it before... am I going to realistically miss anything if I watched the Netflix version?

#64 Posted by hermes (2638 posts) -

@pooch516: No...

There is some controversial translation, but it happened pretty late in the season, so it won't affect your enjoyment of the series. Also, Netflix changed the end credit sequence of all episodes because of licencing issues with Japan, but it is not a serious issue.

#65 Edited by Acura_Max (773 posts) -

@pooch516: I would say the series is worth watching. It's certainly one of those shows that asks you to be patient with it, especially those scenes where it's rumored to have suffered from budget shortages. If you ever watch it, I would keep an open mind when you watch episode 25, 26 and The End of Evangelion movie. Most people either love or hate the last parts.

I don't think you will miss too much. There's one big scene that Netflix changed, but I would say the context surrounding that scene kinda make up for it.

#66 Edited by avantegardener (2385 posts) -

Cobra Kai is a delight. It manages to pair pathos, nostalgia with a compelling (if a somewhat fun and silly) continuing narrative of the Karate Kid films. It has masterfully blended the decades between the motion pictures and the new tv series in way I've never seen before, worth a month sub to youtube to watch both seasons.

Avatar image for genericbrotagonist
#67 Posted by GenericBrotagonist (461 posts) -

Kakegurui - Japanese show on Netflix about a high school where everyone gambles all day for ridiculously high stakes and there seem to be no teachers. Also there's a class system where people in debt to other students become second class citizens. The anime is a bit too horny for my tastes but the live action series does away with most of that and is really good cheesy fun! Apparently there's a movie out in Japan now too.

Designated Survivor - Honestly nothing special but watching Keifer Sutherland be a wish fulfillment president passes the time just fine.

Deadly Class- Assassin Hogwarts in the 80s. RIP. Great from the start, could be just a little too nihilistic at times though. Deserved so much more than one season, Syfy needs to get their shit together and stop completely changing their direction almost ever year.

#68 Posted by MonkeyKing1969 (7696 posts) -

@pooch516 said:

@monkeyking1969: So with all the commotion of the series on Netflix, do you think it holds up? I don't watch much anime but kind of want to watch this because it's so heavily talked about. All I know is there are robots and teen piloting them.

People who have watched it before... am I going to realistically miss anything if I watched the Netflix version?

I think they reworked some dialogue in just a few spots. There are some YouTube videos explaining the minor changes, but the essence of the esoteric dialogue was there - just said slightly different.

Does it hold up? About was well as any other anime from the 80s or 90s. It is not earth shaking in concept, animation or story, but it is fine overall. Worth watching if only to know if all the fuss is justified.

#69 Edited by Shiftygism (1129 posts) -

The Dark Crystal : Age of Resistance is so fucking good.

I've been waiting on this thing for over a decade and it not only lives up to, but far surpasses any expectations I had going in. I'm only half way through (busy week) but for its artistry and unmatched wonder it's honestly the best thing I've ever seen from a streaming standpoint. It's absolutely insane at the quality of what we're getting production-wise these days on television it makes you wonder if theaters will even be around for the masses as far as original content goes a few decades from now.

Resistance is such a visual feast for the senses within its forest locales and Skeksis banquet halls where so much is going on I had to rewind bits constantly to take in every detail. In an age where puppetry has taken a backseat to cg, and likely was part of the troubles the Henson company had in terms of getting a continuation of this cult property off the ground, you can tell they put their heart and souls into this production showing that their craft is definitely worth the cost and can....for the most part....mesh seamlessly with cg to create a rich fantasy world with an element of tangibility that has been lacking in too many films of the past few decades.

Not everything works, the Gelfling faces are pretty inconsistent, though the dark tinted peepers, a trait of the underground dwelling clan, really manages to solve the dead eye look that plagues the characters. Unfortunately they're the only characters to make use of that improvement. Also, there's a certain villain that primarily moves around in cg which is super jarring as we're not used to seeing those of his race being that fleet of foot. It's definitely a Yoda saber fight moment which may be polarizing for some fans. Other than that though, nothing but positives so far.

Watching it actually makes me slightly annoyed that Star Wars hasn't delivered this level of wonder since the originals. I actually quite like the sequels, but man...there's so much world building within the first twenty minutes of Resistance, and the fact that it doesn't get tripped up on identity politics, retreading beloved material, and subverting our expectations at the expense of story and character development, it really puts what Abrams and Johnson have delivered to shame. It captures that 80's fantasy vibe of the original, The Neverending Story, and Krull, and all that good shit we were raised on, but just builds, and builds, until it ultimately ends up being a puppet fueled masterpiece as dense as LotR or GoT. In fact, there's a good chance I may just end up placing this above those two as my favorite pure fantasy property when it's all said and done.

If Nintendo had any sense at all as far as movie adaptations go for Zelda or even Metroid, they'd give it to the Henson Company and Louis Leterrier. Something that really blows my mind even more as his previous film work have been pretty mediocre affairs outside of establishing Jason Statham's action career.

Hopefully this appeals to younger generations as much as it will to those of us primarily hooked by nostalgia. It admittedly might be too dark for some youngsters in spots, and the Skeksis are still nightmare fuel of grotesqueness, but dammit I envy the squirt that has his or her mind blown with this world and develops an appreciation for puppetry as result.

I'm probably preaching to the choir on this as I'm late to the party, but give it a try if you haven't already. Great stuff!

#70 Posted by theuprightman (243 posts) -

Dark on Netflix is very good, it’s a very straight faced sci fi, reminds me with the best parts of lost mixed with a good bit of true detective. It’s a story about a young boy going missing and how the town reacts and as the episodes go on it turns into some great sci fi, I won’t say more I don’t want to spoil it.

There are 2 season on Netflix, 18 episodes I think, and the third and final season is in production. It’s also very German. Give the first episode a go, it will hook you.

#71 Posted by Shiftygism (1129 posts) -

Just finished Age of Resistance, great stuff. There's a really wonderful making of documentary that follows which is a must watch if you're a Henson nut.

Avatar image for not_a_bumblebee
#72 Posted by not_a_bumblebee (153 posts) -

Lodge 49: Hard to describe but it's a dramedy about a masonic lodge type organization and it's filled with hints of magical realism. It's really hilarious and I highly recommend it.

#73 Edited by haneybd87 (435 posts) -

I’m surprised nobody has mentioned HBO’s Succession yet. It’s in the middle of its second season and this show is kind of taking the place of House of Cards back when it was good in the early seasons. Like House of Cards it’s this grand scale drama about the people at the highest levels of power and also a biting takedown of those same people. When I first started watching it I thought it was going to be yet another one of these shows glorifying the ultra rich but really what it turned out to be is a condemnation of end stage capitalism and the structures of power that hold it up. It’s incredibly well acted with some really slick production. It’s a truly great show. Also, weirdly, Will Ferrell is one of the top producers even though this is one of the most dramatic shows I’ve ever seen.

Next I also think Mindhunter is really good and worth watching. At first I didn’t give it a chance because I thought it would be too dark and depressing but it didn’t affect me negatively so that worry was unfounded.

Lastly I’ll second Lodge 49 as a fun, low stakes, worry free show.

#74 Posted by Pooch516 (11 posts) -

@pooch516: I would say the series is worth watching. It's certainly one of those shows that asks you to be patient with it, especially those scenes where it's rumored to have suffered from budget shortages. If you ever watch it, I would keep an open mind when you watch episode 25, 26 and The End of Evangelion movie. Most people either love or hate the last parts.

I don't think you will miss too much. There's one big scene that Netflix changed, but I would say the context surrounding that scene kinda make up for it.

Just piping back in here to say thanks for those that recommended it, it was definitely worth watching. I enjoyed it as a whole, but I can totally see why some would be turned off on the last few episodes. Even with the movies, the whole thing gets crazy and kind of off the rails.

#75 Posted by TheFlamingo352 (389 posts) -

I'm not sure how long it's been there, but the people behind Cowboy Bebop and Samurai Champloo have a new show on Netflix called Carole & Tuesday. The actual plot is plenty predictable (they seem to be setting up the Rocky IV of pop music?), but as with their other fare, the characters and music are great. I'm very excited to see the second half of episodes when they release in english later this year.