Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Macbeth

Dir: Justin Kurzel

Starring: Michael Fassbender

Valhalla Rising

Dir: Nicolas Winding Refn

Starring: Mads Mikkelsen

Or if you haven't seen either, judging purely on the trailer what one looks better?

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll go with Valhalla Rising?

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DharmaBum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By DharmaBum

Valhalla Rising, based on seeing both and personal taste.

Is there some connective tissue I'm not aware of OP?

WynnDuffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Always bet on Mads

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@skullpanda1: Based on movie or trailer?

Trailer. It looks like the movie has something it wants to say. It might not be the better of the two, but I appreciate risk taking.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dharmabum: Both set in Scotland featuring some Scottish actors.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

I hear Valhalla Rising is pretty interesting but when it comes to NWR movies that "interesting" can go both ways.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

Valhalla Rising, easily.

Judging by the trailers alone, probably Macbeth, but Valhalla Rising is actually fucking awesome.

DharmaBum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By DharmaBum

@jonny_anonymous: Ah gotcha, I was wondering if they had the same DP or something. I need to give Macbeth a rewatch with subtitles because of the language barrier.

@humanity: Fear X is the only one of his that went the wrong way for me. Pusher 3 gets kinda weird too. Only God Forgives felt like a reaction to the popularity and success of Drive more than anything, so I can respect the man for not milking the cultural phenomenon that he created and instead doing something even more bizarre.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I thought Macbeth was a better cut trailer but i've seen movies from both Directors and based on that knowledge i'd rather see Valhalla Rising.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

I haven't heard anything good about MacBeth. The same guy directed Assassin's Creed.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

@humanity: It's certainly a Refn movie, lots of symbolism and subtext. Don't go in expecting Braveheart or anything tho.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

Valhalla Rising sounds the coolest so that must be the correct choice.

Brackstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Valhalla Rising is a lot better.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

@liquiddragon: Macbeth is great and it reviewed great as well. The reason AC gets hate is entirely down to it being a video game movie nothing more. If it wasn't one, it would likely have around 50-60% on RT rather than 16% or whatever it's at now. Also the guy did the King's Speech which is critically acclaimed.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous: huh, you're the first person I've heard say Macbeth was good but na dude, not the guy that did King's Speech.

Emperor_Norton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#18  Edited By Emperor_Norton

Macbeth is a perfectly fine adaptation with some very pretty cinematography. Valhalla Rising also looks quite nice and has some good action at the beginning, but I've tried to watch it at least 3 times and always fell asleep after an hour.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

@liquiddragon: The guys that produced Kings Speech produced Macbeth. Also check the Macbeth reviews, 80% on RT, 3/4 Roger Ebert, 6.7/10 on IMDB, 71 on Metacritic.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I've have not seen either, but I've just added both to my Prime watch list.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@jonny_anonymous: I've seen Drive, Only God Forgives and most recently Neon Demon. Drive has become this cult darling but I honestly think it's the best he has done as it's incredibly atmospheric without being too esoteric and symbolic for it's own good. Also banging soundtrack. Only God Forgives was, in my opinion, abysmal. Neon Demon had some wonderful cinematography and a pretty basic story. Sort of interesting to see the time honored saying of "showbiz will eat you up" taken to weird extremes.

I haven't seen Valhalla Rising but like I said, I dunno if I want to or not anymore.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

@humanity: I mean you've seen the rest, may as well go all in at this point right?

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous: I'm pretty sure I was talking about directors if you look at my first post and every movie has at least a half dozen producers, it doesn't mean shit. And you really care about RT rating? And King's Speech, that long forgotten award season movie? I wasn't attacking you when I said "you're the first person that I've heard say it was good." I meant that in the most literally way. I'll get around to it eventually and hope I like it too but no one I no has said anything positive about that movie.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@humanity: I mean you've seen the rest, may as well go all in at this point right?

Only if you follow it with Bronson and Pusher. Bronson is probably my favourite Winding Refn film, but I do really like the most recent 4 for the visual aspects of them all.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@liquiddragon: Not trusting RT sure. But not trusting everyone I just posted? Come on now.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous: lol is that how you decide if a movie is good or not? ok, you're on GB so you're really into games like I am. How many games w/ with a budget get good to great reviews these days? Nearly all of them. And how many are actually really good? A lot less. Unfortunately, many critics tend to reviews things very technically and it's very easy for certain types of movies or games to review well but it doesn't align with reality. Look at the IMDB rating. That's a pushover audience and it has a 6.7? That's actually terrible on that site. Don't get defensive about it, it's cool you liked it. That's a good thing.

DeepSpace9MM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

Valhalla Rising I remember being pretty alright. I've not seen Macbeth but have been meaning to for a while now. I remember Valhalla Rising not being what I expected it to be but that can be said for most Nicolas Winding Refn movies.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@liquiddragon: No, I decide a movie is good by watching it and I have done that. You said nobody has said it was good, all I did was point out that was not true.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous: I clearly said no one I know...dude, you can point to review scores all day. Word of mouth on Macbeth has been terrible.

mylifeforAiur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#30  Edited By mylifeforAiur

I recently watched a number of Refn films, spurred by my viewing of Neon Demon. I'll say this much, and I know people like Valhalla Rising, I merely thought the film was okay. Minus Bronson and Pusher, I feel like Refn films are always a balancing act: seeing how much of his indulgence you're willing to tolerate and how much of it you actually enjoy. Pusher Trilogy is fantastic and has Mads in it (the first and especially the second film), Neon Demon justifies itself by style alone, and Bronson is of course awesome. Only God Forgives I frickin hated though: felt like it was somebody parodying Refn's style.

As for Macbeth, didn't like it. A case of too much style. It sure looks pretty, though. And I can see how that film would make for great trailer fodder. Macbeth doesn't need the treatment it gets in that film--it was damn distracting. Polanski's Macbeth is good if you're interested in watching another version of it.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

sravankb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Refn's head is so far up his ass he can eat and shit from the same hole.

And heck, I wish I could separate his work from his personality, but dude's personality is the only thing I can notice when watching his movies (I understand that this is also the same reason why a lot of people like him).

The awkwardly deliberate and SUBTLE!!!! (I imagine that's how he spells it) symbolism, imagery, and direction that the guy uses is really annoying to me. I never find myself getting immersed into his movies because I feel like I'm watching the "making of" a movie rather than a movie itself.

Now, I know nothing about that Macbeth movie, but I'm willing to choose it over anything Refn does.

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

Every time I think back to Valhalla Rising, I think of how badass the movie is.. then I go watch it again and am reminded how much I don't like watching it. Just saw it again within the past month. Can't recommend it at all.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I enjoyed them both immensely but Valhalla Rising would be the one I'd go with. Macbeth has really good soundtrack.

thomasnash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I mean, Macbeth is Macbeth even before you even start considering anything else.