#1  Edited By Lobster_Ear

Lobster_Ear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Lobster_Ear

I think I've narrowed it down to these 3 out of all the choices I have on the sprint website. I'm looking to spend a maximum of $100 so these seem like the best choices in that price range. I'm just torn between them. Which do you guys think is the best?

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By hatking

@Lobster_Ear said:

I think I've narrowed it down to these 3 out of all the choices I have on the sprint website. I'm looking to spend a maximum of $100 so these seem like the best choices in that price range. I'm just torn between them. Which do you guys think is the best?

Don't buy from your carrier. I went to Radioshack and upgraded to an iPhone 4 16gb for the same price it would have cost me to get an 8gb at the Verizon store. Just bring your account information with you and they'll probably get you a better deal.

To answer the question more specifically though, I recently got an iPhone 4 and love it, but I was carrying an outdated POS before that.

Etnos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Etnos

iPhone still has the best ecosystem around by far.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By MikkaQ

I'd get an iPhone, they stand unmatched these days in terms of quality.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#6  Edited By StarvingGamer

Do you plan on playing a lot of games?

Lobster_Ear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Lobster_Ear

@HatKing said:

@Lobster_Ear said:

Don't buy from your carrier. I went to Radioshack and upgraded to an iPhone 4 16gb for the same price it would have cost me to get an 8gb at the Verizon store. Just bring your account information with you and they'll probably get you a better deal.

To answer the question more specifically though, I recently got an iPhone 4 and love it, but I was carrying an outdated POS before that.

I kind of have to buy from my carrier considering the fact that I need a new phone now, but I don't currently have the money and if I buy from my carrier I wont have to pay for the phone until next month.

Lobster_Ear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Lobster_Ear

And just to clarify, the iphone that I can buy isn't the 4s it's just the 4 and by looking at the specs it seems less impressive than the other two phones. It only has a 5mp camera vs 8mp on the Photon, it doesn't have 4g, the screens smaller, it only has 8GB vs 16 GB on the Photon, the battery only last 7 hrs vs 10 hrs on the Photon.

I know specs aren't everything so can someone explain to me what makes the Iphone 4 better even with all these disadvantages?

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Doctorchimp

@Lobster_Ear: Go to Radioshack and trade in your old phone to get the Samsung Galaxy S II Epic Touch 4g for 99 dollars. It's a promotion they're doing this week.

The iPhone 4 isn't even 4g on Sprint.

AgnosticJesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By AgnosticJesus

I have an iPhone 4 and like it but I wish I'd gotten the Galaxy Nexus. If the deal is legit for the Galaxy S II you should really get that. No iPhone, including the 4S is 4G so you really don't want to limit yourself in a 2 year contract with a 3G phone like I did.

Lobster_Ear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Lobster_Ear

@Doctorchimp said:

@Lobster_Ear: Go to Radioshack and trade in your old phone to get the Samsung Galaxy S II Epic Touch 4g for 99 dollars. It's a promotion they're doing this week.

I would like to do that, but I've already explained that I can't currently.

Lobster_Ear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Lobster_Ear

@StarvingGamer said:

Do you plan on playing a lot of games?

A fair amount, perhaps.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#13  Edited By Hizang

The iPhone is the most popular phone for a reason.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By xyzygy

Get a Nokia Lumia 800, or a HTC Titan. Beautiful phones. The Lumia won a lot of "smartphone of the year" awards.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#15  Edited By StarvingGamer

@Lobster_Ear: Well, while there's more parity now, most of the big-ticket games come out on iOS first. Infinity Blade is pretty neat.

Lobster_Ear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Lobster_Ear

@Hizang said:

The iPhone is the most popular phone for a reason.

And what is that reason? Because no one's answered my question I posted earlier. The Photon seems to trump the iphone in all the categories specs wise so what makes the iphone better or is it simply winning in the poll because it's the most well known phone on the market? I'm not saying you guys are wrong. I just want to know why its better if the specs say otherwise.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#17  Edited By Hizang

@Lobster_Ear:

• Easy to use.
  • Wide variety of apps.
  • Millions of songs/TV shows/movies/podcasts.
  • Wide variety of games.
  • Stylish design.
  • Decent camera.
Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Doctorchimp

@Lobster_Ear said:

@Doctorchimp said:

Dude I don't know if I can recommend your course of action.

If you're doing an upgrade and being locked in place you want something that will last you.

Unless your phone is broken and you need a cell phone in the next 48 hours I would tell you to wait until you get paid and then hit up a Radioshack or a Best Buy or something and get a cell phone.

The last thing you want it to grab a phone for 2 years and get shit on by the manufacturer when it comes to updates. I stupidly got the Galaxy S Vibrant on T-Mobile and I was stuck on it until Cyanogen Mod finally came out for that phone. Although apparently there's a glitch with the 911 calling system...oh well at least I got gingerbread.

So that being said I would suggest out of those 3 phones, I would pick up the Photon.

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Doctorchimp

@xyzygy said:

Get a Nokia Lumia 800, or a HTC Titan. Beautiful phones. The Lumia won a lot of "smartphone of the year" awards.

He's on Sprint...not AT&T

@Hizang said:

@Lobster_Ear:

• Easy to use.
  • Wide variety of apps.
  • Millions of songs/TV shows/movies/podcasts.
  • Wide variety of games.
  • Stylish design.
  • Decent camera.

Well...

• He doesn't seem to be a 40 year old soccer mom, so he should be okay.
  • Cause Android is lacking in apps...
  • Those same items he can put on his phone sans iTunes.
  • Android has angry birds...and emulators are generally easier to run on android phones, so he can play games he actually wants to play.
  • Photon 4G looks pretty cool, like a killer black cyborg
  • The Photon has an 8 megapixel camera compared to iPhone's 5 megapixel.
Lobster_Ear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Lobster_Ear

@Doctorchimp said:

@Lobster_Ear said:

@Doctorchimp said:

Dude I don't know if I can recommend your course of action.

If you're doing an upgrade and being locked in place you want something that will last you.

Unless your phone is broken and you need a cell phone in the next 48 hours I would tell you to wait until you get paid and then hit up a Radioshack or a Best Buy or something and get a cell phone.

The last thing you want it to grab a phone for 2 years and get shit on by the manufacturer when it comes to updates. I stupidly got the Galaxy S Vibrant on T-Mobile and I was stuck on it until Cyanogen Mod finally came out for that phone. Although apparently there's a glitch with the 911 calling system...oh well at least I got gingerbread.

So that being said I would suggest out of those 3 phones, I would pick up the Photon.

Just to further explain my situation, I'm actually joining my moms sprint family plan. I'm not currently on their network. I just have a crappy metro pcs phone with a $50 monthly bill. On my moms plan I only have to pay $35 a month. If I switch now before my next bill I won't have to either pay for another month on metro or go without service for awhile so I need to get a new phone now.

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Doctorchimp

@Lobster_Ear: Well in that case go for it.

Grab the Photon man, it really is a good phone.

uniform

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#22  Edited By uniform

Always go for the popular choice. Popular phone makes you more popular. Popularity leads to intimacy.

Lobster_Ear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Lobster_Ear

@uniform said:

Always go for the popular choice. Popular phone makes you more popular. Popularity leads to intimacy.

Haha. See that's what worries me about the poll. Are people simply choosing the iphone because it's the most popular phone and most likely the phone that they own or are they actually looking at the specs and making a objective decision? Why do I get the feeling that as soon as most saw the iphone 4 in the poll they picked it without even glancing at the other phones?

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By xyzygy

@Lobster_Ear: So many people think that way about most Apple products. I know plenty of people who will only buy apple tech - they won't even reasonably look at the competition if there is no fashionable Apple logo on it. It's so fucking mindless. I have used Apple phones plenty of times (my significant other and my sister both have them) and I seriously do not get the appeal of them. It's just a fashion statement as far as I'm concerned.

I posted about getting a Lumia but since Sprint doesn't have it then the Motorola seems to be the best way to go.

Burzmali

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Burzmali

I'd go with the Photon. As special as the iPhone is, the Photon seems to be better in every regard. Most "killer" apps and games are on both iOS and Android, so you really don't need to worry about missing out on something.

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#26  Edited By big_jon

Nokia Lumia 900

mrcraggle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#27  Edited By mrcraggle

@big_jon: I was actually going to suggest this too even though it's not in the poll. It's pretty much everything I wanted the 800 to be. The only problem is that it's not out until march and it's only on AT&T and I think the OP wanted something on Sprint and they only have the shitty Arrive when it comes to Windows Phone 7.

cnlmullen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#28  Edited By cnlmullen

I'm extremely happy with my Galaxy Nexus. The battery life leaves something to be desired, but I love the interface and how fast it is. Verizon 4G is rolled out in my area and it makes for really speedy web surfing when I'm out and about. Also, the big screen makes reading + clicking stuff on the internet easy.

The app library may not be as vast as the iPhones, but I've never actually wanted an app that wasn't also available on the android. I also don't use iTunes (I prefer uncompressed FLACs / CD rips) so the music thing also wasn't a factor. The Galaxy Nexus was definitely the right choice for my needs.

EDIT: Based on my experience with the Galaxy Nexus, I would recommend the Photon.

Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 17

#29  Edited By Tireyo

iPhones are nice.

Lobster_Ear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Lobster_Ear

I haven't heard one legitimate argument as to why the iphone beats the Photon and yet it's winning. Are any of you "voters" willing to explain your decision?

OllyOxenFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#31  Edited By OllyOxenFree
@Lobster_Ear said:

I haven't heard one legitimate argument as to why the iphone beats the Photon and yet it's winning. Are any of you "voters" willing to explain your decision?

cuz it looks so purdy and everybody else uses it lololol
Avatar image for crosstheatlantic
CrossTheAtlantic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By CrossTheAtlantic

I have an Evo and really like it, but would still give the edge to the iPhone. From what I've experienced, Android battery life leaves a lot to be desired and despite being better spec wise (at least was when I got it, not sure if that's still the case) the iPhone infrastructure seems to run better and the camera quality is definitely better despite having more megapixels (whatever they used for compression really hurts it; iPhone camera is easily the best phone one I've seen). I would look into some custom Android UI's though, so you can get a better idea of the customization you can do with one. iPhone still seems to have a larger app market, but Android's isn't shabby by any means. There will be, however, apps on the iPhone you won't find on Android.

Lobster_Ear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Lobster_Ear

I think I'm ruling out the evo 3d. I still can't really decide between the iphone 4 and the photon 4g though.

Joker369

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Joker369

@Lobster_Ear

I was just in the market for a smartphone and ended up with an iPhone 4s. Here are a few reasons on why I chose the iPhone over all the android phones on the market

1. The Apple IOS seems much more snappy to me than any of the android OS I tried.

2.The App Store is the front runner for most apps which means that in most cases apps will come out first on the app store rather than it first coming out to android.

3. If your like me and have ALL of your music on itunes, it can be hard to switch to something like Google Music.

The only upper hand the Photon has over the Iphone IMO is the camera which you will have to consider how much that matters. The lack of 4G I dont see as that much of a drawback unless you live in a city. I have never used the 4G on my phone because I live in the suburbs and 3G is still fairly fast.

I would suggest the iPhone 4, I hope this helps.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#35  Edited By Sackmanjones
@Lobster_Ear:  I got my first Iphone about 3 months ago and I love it.  Its a 4S which isn't a massive improvement over the 4 but decided to buckle down and get the best out. Anyway since they are close to comparison, I would highly recommend an Iphone to anyone, anytime, no matter which version.
OllyOxenFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#36  Edited By OllyOxenFree

Looks like that dude up there is having trouble posting on his Apple device.

Hehehehehe.

Joker369

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Joker369
@OllyOxenFree That submit comment button is SO BIG and there is no confirm thing on the mobile site.
Avatar image for bam_d_leprechaun
Bam_D_Leprechaun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#38  Edited By Bam_D_Leprechaun

Evo.

I have had the 4G since a little after launch and it's still an amazing phone. Both of my parents got the 3D and while they don't actually use the 3D, they love em.

Sayishere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#39  Edited By Sayishere

If you like playing games (retro) you should think about an Xperia play. I really like mine, for the fact that 1. i can play my retro games, but 2. its actually a good android phone.

Then it comes a question is if you like IOS Phones, android phones, windows 7

I have used IPhones and Androids and both are similiar in my eyes, although on IOS you get more cooler games.

iPliskin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By iPliskin

Samsung Note

yoshimitz707

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers