Posted by liquiddragon (3290 posts) 9 months, 5 days ago

Poll: Which Would You Prefer Jeff & Dan Do?: Watch Buu Saga & Continue ASG or Watch a Different Anime Series + New Podcast (294 votes)

Watch Buu Saga and continue All Systems Goku. 76%
Watch a different anime series and new podcast. 17%
Don't watch anime and don't podcast about it. 7%

Personally, I'd be really bummed if they dropped DBZ after the Cell Saga. I loved DBZ as a kid and it's been awesome reliving the joy of the series through them.

#1 Posted by Vorsic (83 posts) -

Why would they stop after the Cell saga? Buu is part of DBZ.

#2 Posted by SethMode (1931 posts) -

I haven't gotten to watch the Anime Expo thing, have they mentioned potentially doing this? I definitely hope they keep going, as much as I don't really care for the end of the Buu stuff.

#3 Posted by liquiddragon (3290 posts) -

@vorsic: I hope they don't but it's a lot of episodes to commit to.

#4 Posted by liquiddragon (3290 posts) -

@sethmode: no they don't but each saga is a hard break and the Buu saga is pretty long.

#5 Posted by Hamst3r (5480 posts) -

I want them to watch Buu Saga, then watch original Dragon Ball, then watch Dragon Ball Super.

#6 Posted by Ben_H (4179 posts) -

They must learn where Buu eats breakfast, lunch, and din din.

Avatar image for theoriginalatlas
#7 Posted by Atlas (2738 posts) -

I guess it would suck if they burn out on Dragon Ball and that saps their desire to do a podcast about any other anime, since it seems like people are invested in the idea of them trying other stuff and they both seem open to it, judging by their panel at the anime con.

There's no reason why they can't try something else for a while and then come back to wrap up DBZ or do more Dragon Ball stuff. I don't know if it's objectively worse than the earlier series, but Buu is definitely around the time where I started to drop out of DBZ as a kid, as it all just became too convoluted and watered down, plus I was getting a bit older and was generally less into cartoons and stuff like that.

They should do what they feel the happiest and most comfortable doing.

#8 Edited by JohnyMyko (1849 posts) -

@hamst3r said:

I want them to watch Buu Saga, then watch original Dragon Ball, then watch Dragon Ball Super.

I agree with this 100%. A couple of Film & 40s between each series would be nice too, maybe they can have an opportunity to do it next time Jeff visits New York or when Dan goes to SF for GOTY.

I don't really care if they do the Super series, I would be fine if they don't do it, but I would love to listen to their reactions to original Dragon Ball since it seems like the type of stories they enjoy. And I bet their reactions to the two Super movies would be funny too.

#9 Posted by alexl86 (868 posts) -

Why would they stop after Cell?

I would totally listen to a Dragon Ball podcast (a series I think is superior to DBZ) and probably ignore a DB Super podcast. I’m not a huge anime fan and wouldn’t mind if they did something different instead. A One Punch Man podcast would be cool though, and blissfully short.

#10 Posted by meaninoflife42 (675 posts) -

If they want to watch and discuss another anime after DBZ, they could do that but they should still call the podcast All Systems Goku.

#11 Edited by PeteyCoco (277 posts) -

If there's one thing they've made clear on All Systems Goku, it's that they are looking for the audiences opinion on what they should and shouldn't be watching.

#12 Posted by Vortextk (937 posts) -

I never watched Buu. I was part of the crowd watching Goku land on Namek, getting 1-2 episodes in, and the whole thing going back to the beginning of DBZ again because of licensing or whatever the issue was back in the day. It eventually continued and I saw until the end of Cell saga.

When Jeff and Dan were closing in on the end of Cell saga, I watched the end of it, then finally watched the entirety of the Buu saga with dbz kai. I thought that arc was kinda bad. The beginning I felt had potential and a few cool bits, the middle took forever, the end took forever and every power up seemed completely random and arbitrary. I'm honestly afraid of them getting knee deep in this saga and just being like WHAT THE FUCK, WHY WON'T SO AND SO JUST WIN ALREADY?! I honestly can't believe that was the edited down for time version.

#13 Posted by Cat_Herder (91 posts) -

After seeing Dan react to Black Lagoon on that panel I really hope they pick that up after finishing Dragon Ball.

#14 Posted by Shiftygism (897 posts) -

In ten years when they finish Dragon Ball, Jeff needs to school Dan on some G.I.Joe including the animated movie.

#15 Posted by BisonHero (11569 posts) -

@vortextk said:

I never watched Buu. I was part of the crowd watching Goku land on Namek, getting 1-2 episodes in, and the whole thing going back to the beginning of DBZ again because of licensing or whatever the issue was back in the day. It eventually continued and I saw until the end of Cell saga.

When Jeff and Dan were closing in on the end of Cell saga, I watched the end of it, then finally watched the entirety of the Buu saga with dbz kai. I thought that arc was kinda bad. The beginning I felt had potential and a few cool bits, the middle took forever, the end took forever and every power up seemed completely random and arbitrary. I'm honestly afraid of them getting knee deep in this saga and just being like WHAT THE FUCK, WHY WON'T SO AND SO JUST WIN ALREADY?! I honestly can't believe that was the edited down for time version.

I have a very similar feeling to you on just about every point. Back when the show first aired, I didn't really watch much of the show past the Cell saga, after it had taken years and years for the English dub to air and I got bored of waiting through reruns of the old episodes.

Revisiting it for this podcast, I've decided the Buu arc is bad. I'm glad it gave us the fusion dance and associated memes, and the English dub had that meme-able line where Goku talks about "going even further beyond" as he goes Super Saiyan 3, but Babidi and Buu are pretty much the weakest antagonists in the whole show. Especially once Babidi is gone and it's just solo Buu against all the good guys, like you said, so many of the new abilities feel arbitrary and random, even by DBZ standards. Honestly, it was really hard to care about a villain that just seemed unkillable since he could always regenerate even if reduced to a fine mist. The fact that the villain was also functionally fat/thin/muscular Kirby and would just turn people into candy and eat them, and had like 9 different transformations/split personalities that made little sense, doesn't help. It's also just a weird turn to suddenly jump back to a very magical villain, after the Saiyan arc/Frieza arc/Android arc/Cell arc were so much more sci-fi focused. Some of the character stuff with Goku, Vegeta, and Gohan honestly isn't bad in the Buu arc, but the overall meat and potatoes of the arc is lame.

Anyway, I disliked what bits of the Buu arc I saw when I was younger, and that dislike only intensified upon revisiting it later. I'm morbidly curious to see what All Systems Goku thinks of that batch of episodes, because it's the only arc where I genuinely think Jeff or Dan might turn on the show. It's a pretty weak way to end the series, and the way the final episodes try to make a big deal about Uub just felt like they came out of nowhere and were a weird "OK so in the final couple episodes nothing happens" sorta ending for me. So yeah, really curious to see if Jeff and Dan find the Buu episodes similarly disappointing, or manage to have a good time with all the silly power level increases and arbitrary Buu abilities.

#16 Posted by FrodoBaggins (2024 posts) -

Yall are crazy, Buu arc is great I honestly think Jeff and Dan will love it

#17 Posted by clagnaught (2113 posts) -

I voted for a different series in part because I don’t know where DBZ goes from here. Like there’s a series a movies, then a short-ish series, then more movies, and DBZ Super, and there’s that Egyptian guy and they have their own movie, and there’s a new-new movie.

I knew next to nothing about Dragon Ball, but I at least knew of the show runs. Going forward, I don’t know if there’s an easier way to keep track of this stuff.

Also JoJo’s.

#18 Posted by Vortextk (937 posts) -

@clagnaught: For a pure canon run, you finish dbz kai then watch dragonball super, and that's it. Alternatively, you can skip most of the first 27 episodes of dragonball super and watch the two movies instead, better animation but less going on with tiny differences. It's mostly real simple if you follow the cannon route. All/most movies from shounen series like this only show side story, what if situations not continuation of stories, so almost all of those can be skipped with out any real issue unless you just want to see everything.

#19 Posted by Humanity (18632 posts) -

Whatever they do it should be something that they genuinely are excited to watch because nothing worse than seeing them forcefully watch stuff and continuously dunk on it.

#20 Edited by Seikenfreak (1504 posts) -

@bisonhero said:
line where Goku talks about "going even further beyond" as he goes Super Saiyan 3

Oof.. Maybe my favorite scene in the entire DB universe. I recorded it on a VHS tape off Toonami back then, I still have that tape and watched it recently. Can still give me goosebumps. Though I'm betting the music has been removed or changed in Kai and scene probably trimmed down, which will ruin it just like it does for the gohan/cell end. Also, amazing to see commercials during that time.

I'd obviously have them continue the Buu saga. I think they'll love majin-vegeta and the silly-ness of fusion, but I could see them not liking it overall. From there, I'd have them do something new. One-Punch Man would probably my pick, particularly because of what they just watched.

I could see them just abandoning the anime thing after DBZ. Or going directly to original DB. Jeff doesn't seem like he wants to hear people tell him what to watch, even if it's stuff he'd probably enjoy. In a weird flip-flop of roles, I think Dan has become the one more open to trying a bunch of new anime stuff.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b85a38d6c493
#21 Posted by deactivated-5b85a38d6c493 (1990 posts) -

They have gotten this far so I'd like to see them finish Kai before moving on to another show.

#22 Posted by MrGreenMan (182 posts) -

If they love Mr. Satan as much as I think they will, it's almost a must to continue. for that reason alone.

#23 Edited by MrWakka (320 posts) -

Fist of the North Star and berserk could be fun, but I do want them to complete dbz first. Some film and 40s would be cool for some of the movies.

#24 Edited by Justin258 (15617 posts) -

Everything from the end of the Cell Saga to Majiin Buu showing up is the best that DBZ has to offer. Yes, they should watch it.

I can't really recommend anything after Buu shows up. Some of it's pretty great stuff, but a whole lot of it is pretty terrible stuff. I don't really see them enjoying DBZ while Gotenks is a thing.

#25 Edited by Sanj (3248 posts) -

I don't see why they wouldn't continue watching DBZ if they enjoy the show.

The next time Jeff and Dan are on the same coast, I'd like to see them to a Film & 40s of Dragon Ball Evolution.

#26 Posted by Ungodly (446 posts) -

I mean, they still have a lot of DBZ to watch, and I just mean the Buu saga. I would rather they finish it out, then decided what they want to do. Whether that be Super, or a new show.

#27 Posted by Rejizzle (1089 posts) -

If they don't watch the Buu saga how will they ever learn about the Great Saiyaman?

#28 Edited by poobumbutt (951 posts) -

@cat_herder: Yeah, BL seems like the anime made for Dan. I wonder if Jeff might think it goes a little overboard and get turned off at points (Vampire Twins, a VERY specific scene in the OVA, etc.).

Honestly, as obvious as it is, it seems like My Hero is the clear next choice after all this DBZ. Jumping from the anime that spurred on and created so many tropes to the anime that embraces those tropes and reorganizes them in a well thought out way seems like the logical jumping point.

One thing I'll mirror is the sentiment that they should simply do what they want (even though I voted for no Buu-watching). As long as they're having a good time, that is literally the best thing for them and the quality of the podcast. But if 20 episodes into Buu, they start wondering, "so, is this gonna get moving, or...?" Thats when I start getting bummed. I don't know, I remember large chunks of the Buu saga being boring, even when fighting was happening.

Edit: Oh, yeah and Super... well... if they are REALLY high in DBZ by the end, I cant really argue, but... MAN Super is lame to me.

#29 Posted by xanadu (2034 posts) -

You don't just start something and not finish it.

#30 Posted by fatalbanana (1106 posts) -

They should definitely watch the Buu saga. Though despite liking Buu a lot as a character that arc of the show is where it jumped the shark for me but they should definitely watch it if not just to round out the show. I think after that they should be done with DB. Super is bad and not even worth them watching to shit on it. Change the name of the show to All Systems Anime and dig into some other shows they will actually ring some enjoyment out of. That's my take on it anyway.

#31 Posted by Undeadpool (6945 posts) -

For those saying "Why would they do this?" have ya'll not heard that they plan to stop at Kai, which is essentially stopping at Cell? I know there are other Kai blu-rays after that, but apparently they are MUCH less cut down because the Buu Saga didn't have much filler in the first place. Them skipping it is fully on the table.

That said: I truly hope they don't. I think, based on what they've liked and disliked so far, that the Buu saga could be a dark horse for their favorite saga. It's got a ton of "wacky adventure" stuff, it gets meta and self-referential, Mr. Satan, it's the saga where Vegeta's arc actually completes, so I hope they do. But then again: if they're not feeling it, then they shouldn't. Also I don't think they'd get much out of Super. Besides the first two arcs/movies, it's an increasingly hollow cash-grab. And I say that as someone who generally likes Super.

#32 Edited by MerxWorx01 (823 posts) -

I'm fine with them either trying something new or stopping completely. I'd love for them to keep going either watching more DB or see a new show but I don't want Jeff to get soured on any of this stuff.

I think Dan is game for anything at this point it's hard for myself to gauge if Jeff wants to do more or if this has run its course and the anime expo guest spot meant to cap off of the anime water hose that we've been enjoying.

#33 Posted by KingBonesaw (1380 posts) -

I like all forms of Dragon Ball so I'd enjoy seeing them continue with the series after the Cell Games. I'd love to see them watch a couple of the movies, original Dragon Ball as well as Super.

I also want them to watch GT since I weirdly enjoy it in the same way that I enjoyed aspects of WWE's version of ECW. It says Dragon Ball and has some of the same characters but you can tell that someone else was in charge of the thing.

#34 Posted by beforet (3470 posts) -

I would they stop before Buu? I always thought that the question was will they continue into Super. Which I kind of hope they do. There are some really good moments in Super. But the all of the fights I've seen (I haven't seen anything from the Tournament of Power yet) have all been pretty lackluster so far, so I could see them not making it through.

#35 Posted by frytup (1259 posts) -

I think I'm probably out after Cell. Just don't feel like buying more BDs.

Shame there's no legal place to stream this stuff.

#36 Posted by LTSmash (813 posts) -

Jeff should tag in Brad for a Star Trek: TNG podcast with Dan.

#37 Edited by ChosenOne (248 posts) -

As much as I'm enjoying ASG, even started wtahcing along even though I've already seen OG DBZ, but if they stopped after Cell and switched to Yu Yu Hakasho or HunterXHunter I'd be more than cool with that.

#38 Edited by Toparaman (82 posts) -

@hamst3r: Yes, that would be great! I haven't watched Super, but my understanding is that a significant chunk of it covers the last two movies, which Toriyama was more closely involved with than with Super's adaptation of the movies. So they could just watch those movies and skip to the new stuff in Super.

#39 Posted by inevpatoria (7428 posts) -

@ltsmash said:

Fuuuuuck yes.

#40 Posted by PuertoGreekan (12 posts) -

I want them to finish kai. Yes, that means Buu as well. I don't really care what they do after that.

#41 Posted by Rigas (805 posts) -

Why wouldn't they finish the show? Get to the end of Kai. Then see what they feel like. If they want to tackle the movies then Super then amazing. If they never want to do it again, thats also great. But like any of these podcasts where the initial hook is "This thing is new to one or more of the hosts" after 180 episodes, it isn't new and if they aren't experts they are at least well informed by that point. I love they found a new medium they liked, so maybe they can continue to enjoy it then and don't require a dedicated podcast, maybe a special check in every now and again.

The obvious next anime is Zillion since it was just picked up for official release over here.

#42 Posted by Rigas (805 posts) -

@ltsmash said:

Fuuuuuck yes.

Hasn't Dan already watched it?

#43 Posted by FlashFlood_29 (4401 posts) -

The reasons people point out for not liking Bui saga are why I do like it. It’s my favorite kind of Anime crazyness. I think they’ll love what there is of it, especially for Mr. Satan.

#44 Posted by Seeric (338 posts) -

I'm torn on this one, though I'm leaning towards preferring if they took a break to watch a different show. Speaking from some fairly recent experience with binge watching Kai, the Buu saga has some really fun moments, especially early on, but it also has some of the worst parts of DBZ. Even in Kai there are a few stretches of episodes where it feels like the characters are standing around doing virtually nothing of note. There may technically not have been much filler to cut, but boy do some parts the Gotanks fight feel like they exist purely to waste time. I think there's a real possibility of Jeff and Dan burning out on DBZ (or anime in general), though maybe at least one of them will end up liking parts of the arc which I didn't care for.

Regardless, I think they're definitely going to move on to Buu before anything else.

#45 Posted by icoangel (102 posts) -

They should do what they want.