• 76 results
boylie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By boylie

In the wake of Whiskey Media being completely dismantled, I'm just curious if there's been any news out there as to what exactly happened. Were the sites not profitable enough? Did Bonnie just want out? Does anyone know the story there? I've been wondering for a while but I haven't really seen any info on it. Just curious why my favourite family of websites got broken up all of a sudden.

*sadface*

IAmNotBatman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By IAmNotBatman
boylie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By boylie

Did you read the post? I have been here the whole time. I'm WELL aware as to WHAT has happened, I'm asking if anyone knows WHY.

pickassoreborn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By pickassoreborn

Because people like selling things to other people for higher amounts than they got for that thing?

cookiemonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By cookiemonster

because money?

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By Dany

@boylie said:

Did you read the post? I have been here the whole time. I'm WELL aware as to WHAT has happened, I'm asking if anyone knows WHY.

He just told you why.

IAmNotBatman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By IAmNotBatman

@boylie: I don't think that the specifics of what happened are really any of our business or matter in any capacity other than curiosity. The only answers you're gonna get are pure speculation.

boylie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By boylie

@IAmNotBatman said:

@boylie: I don't think that the specifics of what happened are really any of our business or matter in any capacity other than curiosity. The only answers you're gonna get are pure speculation.

Ya that's fine, I mean if no one knows, then no one knows, I just knew that, for instance, it seemed like their ad stuff and subscriber stuff maybe wasn't working as well as they'd hoped, I just was curious if maybe that had anything to do with it is all. Maybe Bonnie had given an interview or something, I don't know. Just was curious is all. If there's nothing out there that says definitively what had happened, then that's fine.

adoggz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By adoggz

@boylie said:

Because bermanbrawny ,the quicker picker upper, wanted the Whiskey back-end stuff and gave Shelby Bonnie an offer he couldn't refuse.

boylie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By boylie

@adoggz said:

@boylie said:

Because bermanbrawny ,the quicker picker upper, wanted the Whiskey back-end stuff and gave Shelby Bonnie an offer he couldn't refuse.

Hahaha, fair enough

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Karl_Boss

More money.

stinky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By stinky

yeah why did the whiskey people want to secure their livelihood?

seems strange people using a business as a tool to make money.

alternate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By alternate

I am not sure the sites ever made money. The goal was at least to break even. Remember when they launched ads? How many did they get? Not many. Then they had to resort to google ads for dick pills etc and then the meebo bar. What of the new sites? There doesn't seem much point when all the traffic comes from 2 sites and one of them is responsible for 98% of subscriber signups (an income in itself that would not even pay for salaries).

In this economic climate there isn't a great deal of money for publishers to buy adverts so 90% goes to the sites with the greatest market share - so GS and IGN.

Seems a bit reductive to say that the investors just wanted to make money. That is kinda the whole point of investing and as investors go they seemed pretty free with the funds for years while the guys were seeing if they could build a network of sites. I would speculate they faced some hard choices. Best to split and sell off when things are still worth something - that way you can negociate from a position of power - rather than have it all erode and then face selling off the empty husk *cough* 1up.

I mean - would the community still be confident if they sold off comic vine and tested, killed AV and Screened and tried to make it a go of it? Maybe buying them another year. I don't see the market improving all that much in 12 months.

mongoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By mongoose

@stinky: Now come on, he's only asking a question.

In reply, I would say that the Whiskey Media family were actually doing very well, and because of this Shelby put the sites out to tender (thankfully with the creators knowledge/blessing/input) to see who the highest bidder was. It's because Giantbomb/Whiskey Media has been a great success that it has sold, not because it has failed.

jking47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By jking47

Dat cheese

super2j

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16  Edited By super2j

wow guys its an interesting question... kind of. I bet some of you have read books about the backround stuff that happened in specific industries or companies. He wants to know if there are any interesting details or stories that went down thru this process. And the message from the crew we receive, whether true or not would be missing this information. Of course there is the video where Jeff was talking about how their business manager tentatively asked if it was ok to talk to Gamespot and that exact video proves my point. It explains the details of what went down back in 2008(?) and the backround details we never saw. Granted, the gamespotxJeff thing was more interesting and controversial, hence the great interest in it but who are we to say what might be interesting to the OP. IF he wants to know if anything crazy went down during the transfer aside from what we have been shown the last couple of weeks then im all for it cause i wouldnt mind hearing some about my favourite site.

boylie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By boylie

@super2j said:

wow guys its an interesting question... kind of. I bet some of you have read books about the backround stuff that happened in specific industries or companies. He wants to know if there are any interesting details or stories that went down thru this process. And the message from the crew we receive, whether true or not would be missing this information. Of course there is the video where Jeff was talking about how their business manager tentatively asked if it was ok to talk to Gamespot and that exact video proves my point. It explains the details of what went down back in 2008(?) and the backround details we never saw. Granted, the gamespotxJeff thing was more interesting and controversial, hence the great interest in it but who are we to say what might be interesting to the OP. IF he wants to know if anything crazy went down during the transfer aside from what we have been shown the last couple of weeks then im all for it cause i wouldnt mind hearing some about my favourite site.

Pretty much this. Sorry, I guess I wasn't super clear in the beginning, I was curious if there'd been any news about the behind the scenes stuff. I just find that stuff interesting is all, and Whiskey has been nothing if not open and honest in it's business in the past, so I figured maybe someone, somewhere had talked about it at some point since it all went down. If not, if we're all just speculating here (and it really seems like that's the case) then no big deal, I guess the answer is a big "who really knows", but I just was curious if I'd maybe missed an article somewhere that maybe got into the behind the scenes stuff, and I figured that if there was, someone here would have caught it and been able to hook a brotha up, that's all.

super2j

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By super2j

@boylie: u mean like in an obscure article on "webbusiness-weekly.com" or something?

SmilingPig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By SmilingPig

In short it was Kessler's fault.

turbo_toaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By turbo_toaster

I think the only thing that gets me still is that there was no finale, or last day of school so to speak. It was so surreal and quiet the way it ended.

boylie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By boylie

@super2j: Ya something like that. Or if for some insane reason some Whiskey people responded in some forum post on here or something, I don't know. Just kinda curious like if they actually managed to turn a profit or not and if that was why, or maybe BermanBraun wanted the tech and made some insane offer or whatever, or maybe Bonnie just got bored and wanted to move on, who knows. I just find behind the scenes stuff like that interesting, I didn't realize that I was the only one hahaha

strainedeyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By strainedeyes

The company that bought Whiskey Media wanted the rights to the publishing platform (they said as much in the press release). They also took what was probably the cheaper domains (Screened, Tested, Anime Vice) and are now in the process of flipping them to be more profitable.

NegativeCero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By NegativeCero

In the last Jar Time video, Jeff mentioned that they've been casually talking to people for a while about a deal, but only until last December did the talks become serious. He also said that he had some say in blocking the deal with CBS, but thought it fit well and moves would've been made regardless of their input. Unless I misunderstood or missed something, this was a long time coming. Other than that, I have no idea though.

Avatar image for bestusernameever
BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By BestUsernameEver

@IAmNotBatman: that doesn't answer why, just says what happened.

boylie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By boylie

@Turbo_Toaster: I felt the same way. Would have been awesome to have all the properties get together for one last... thing, before it all closed down. Bah.

adoggz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By adoggz
@boylie

@Turbo_Toaster: I felt the same way. Would have been awesome to have all the properties get together for one last... thing, before it all closed down. Bah.

That lone happy hour they did a few weeks back was it.
napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By napalm

@Turbo_Toaster said:

I think the only thing that gets me still is that there was no finale, or last day of school so to speak. It was so surreal and quiet the way it ended.

Do you still work at... err... CBSi or BermanBraun?

boylie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By boylie

@Napalm: I might be wrong, but I'm under the impression that the mods are volunteers. If that's the case, well it's not like you fire free help, right?

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By napalm

@boylie said:

@Napalm: I might be wrong, but I'm under the impression that the mods are volunteers. If that's the case, well it's not like you fire free help, right?

She was an artist for the quest system. The fuck are you talking about?

boylie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By boylie

@Napalm: Didn't know that, I thought you were asking about mod stuff. Relax.

turbo_toaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By turbo_toaster

@Napalm: When Whiskey dissolved so did my contract. We'll see what happens!

Legend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 28

#32  Edited By Legend
@SmilingPig

I knew it!
FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#33  Edited By FLStyle

@Turbo_Toaster said:

Indeed, I hope we get some background info on this at least. Had they already decided that Whiskey Media wouldn't get through another year before Big Live Live show 2?

BBQBram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By BBQBram

Whiskey Media was always going to be the process of going from upstarts to solid communities, bundled with the tech behind it, to make a for a nice investment opportunity. Thankfully the sites have made the transition without losing their soul in the process. Though I can't speak for Screened now with Rorie gone, and I'm not sure Anime Vice had much of a vibe in the first place.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By napalm

@Turbo_Toaster said:

@Napalm: When Whiskey dissolved so did my contract. We'll see what happens!

That's... extra shitty. (By the way, I did read your full post, but I respect it enough to not repeat it here.)

ThePickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#36  Edited By ThePickle

@Turbo_Toaster said:

Many things get me about this, this is just one of them. I had gotten used to the new sites until the Rorie news dropped. Now, I'm looking at the whole situation and it sucks so hard on so many levels.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By napalm

@ThePickle said:

@Turbo_Toaster said:

Many things get me about this, this is just one of them. I had gotten used to the new sites until the Rorie news dropped. Now, I'm looking at the whole situation and it sucks so hard on so many levels.

Especially when you consider the homebred nature of Whiskey Media. You'd think there'd be a big meeting with details ironed out, etc.

So, fuck Shelby Bonnie? Or, too soon, or misdirected...?

ThePickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By ThePickle

@Napalm said:

@ThePickle said:

@Turbo_Toaster said:

Especially when you consider the homebred nature of Whiskey Media. You'd think there'd be a big meeting with details ironed out, etc.

I'd second a "fuck Shelby Bonnie."

TehFlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#39  Edited By TehFlan
@Legend said:
@SmilingPig

I knew it!
I think we all knew deep down.
Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 5

#40  Edited By Yanngc33

It's all about the benjamins

ThePickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By ThePickle

@rebgav said:

@ThePickle said:

@Napalm said:

@ThePickle said:

@Turbo_Toaster said:

Why? The sites were always going to "make it on their own" or get sold, Shelby Bonnie was responsible for them having the money and time to figure it out.

Err.. I mean, fuck that guy for not paying Whiskey's way until his dying days! Grr!

How about, fuck that guy for splitting the sites. He did a shit job handling this. Two of them go to one company where they get treated like royalty, two get shipped off to some unknown company and get gutted and retooled.

Rolyatkcinmai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#42  Edited By Rolyatkcinmai

Do we need to have yet another discussion on how venture capitalism works?

SSValis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By SSValis

because sadly money is very important in our society

Avatar image for helpimupsidedown
HelpImUpsideDown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By HelpImUpsideDown

@Turbo_Toaster said:

This. Screened got it the worst though. :(

LiquidSwords

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#45  Edited By LiquidSwords

@Turbo_Toaster said:

Look at it as when a baseball player gets traded. He can be playing a game and the phone call comes. You get your things and you're gone! No goodbyes, no nothing. It sucks. Remeber Jeff mention they got the call and they picked up their things and left WM offices.

Avatar image for deactivated-6281db536cb1d
deactivated-6281db536cb1d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@HelpImUpsideDown said:

@Turbo_Toaster said:

This. Screened got it the worst though. :(

Not surprisingly though. It's run by one guy and is a website covering a subject which has already been over-saturated online.

Jumanji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Jumanji
@boylie said:

In the wake of Whiskey Media being completely dismantled, I'm just curious if there's been any news out there as to what exactly happened. Were the sites not profitable enough? Did Bonnie just want out? Does anyone know the story there? I've been wondering for a while but I haven't really seen any info on it. Just curious why my favourite family of websites got broken up all of a sudden.

*sadface*

There is no real info on why they sold or the details of GB's new arrangement with CBSi... 

I think we could probably construct a decent post facto narrative depending on how things shake out at Giant Bomb over the next six months to a year.
If we see layoffs or a MASSIVE change in site direction, then it's likely they were losing money at Whiskey (and continued to do so at CBSi).
If things stay the same, then they were probably a golden goose and it was simply a sale of convenience.
ThePickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By ThePickle

@rebgav said:

@ThePickle said:

@rebgav said:

@ThePickle said:

@Napalm said:

@ThePickle said:

@Turbo_Toaster said:

Why? The sites were always going to "make it on their own" or get sold, Shelby Bonnie was responsible for them having the money and time to figure it out.

Err.. I mean, fuck that guy for not paying Whiskey's way until his dying days! Grr!

How about, fuck that guy for splitting the sites. He did a shit job handling this. Two of them go to one company where they get treated like royalty, two get shipped off to some unknown company and get gutted and retooled.

CBS bought GB and Comic Vine. I'm going to guess that they didn't want the rest of the sites. Not sure what you think could have been done about that.

Take the rest of these sites too! Go on. No, really, I insist!

Or that they didn't offer what Shelby what he was really wanting and that selling GB and CV to CBS and Tested and Screened to BermanBraun got him more than all sites as a package deal to CBS. Jeff said they were getting multiple offers, I doubt all of them excluded three sites.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Milkman
Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Milkman

@ThePickle said:

@rebgav said:

@ThePickle said:

@Napalm said:

@ThePickle said:

@Turbo_Toaster said:

He's a business man. He's in the business of making money. It's just how the world works. I would say Shelby seems way better than most.