Who can give me some opinions about which language i should learn

sunitalee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By sunitalee

Korea,japanese,spanish,french;i am idle so i wanna learn a language.anyone can give me some opinion.Hope which can help you find good job.

EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By EVO

I'd learn Mandarin, in preparation for the inevitable world domination of China.

gamefreak9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By gamefreak9

I'd second mandarin if its for job purposes. Foreigners are wanted over there.

Avatar image for deactivated-643fcf03a370c
deactivated-643fcf03a370c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Like the other guys said, if this is just to get better job prospects, learning Mandarin Chinese would probably be the best option. However, I think you should try and find a language that you are passionate about. That way it's so much more enjoyable, and you're more likely to make good progress.

aceofspudz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By aceofspudz

Spanish...French...German. You stand a chance of actually learning these languages in your spare time. Don't pick an asian language unless you basically want it to dominate your life.

Also, judging from your post, you might want to consider getting better at English.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By CL60

@aceofspudz said:

Spanish...French...German. You stand a chance of actually learning these languages in your spare time. Don't pick an asian language unless you basically want it to dominate your life.

Also, judging from your post, you might want to consider getting better at English.

Not necessarily, Korean isn't really that difficult after you wrap your head around the grammar. You can learn to read Korean in like a day.

But you wont be able to learn any language unless you really have a reason to, if you aren't motivated to learn it, it's just not going to happen.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By Sooty

Mandarin and Japanese are both excellent for future job prospects.

Well you can say that for almost any Asian language since English teachers are more and more valued, but then again you don't have to speak the countries native language to do that.

Edit: Don't bother learning any language with a different writing system unless you are absolutely serious because otherwise you'll give up within a week.

@aceofspudz said:

Don't pick an asian language unless you basically want it to dominate your life.

That's really not true, sure they are difficult but the bulk of their difficulty comes from learning the different characters, Korean is much easier in this department where as Mandarin is at the other end of the scale, Japanese is a good middle ground.

Although it must be said that Mandarin pronunciation is fucking hard, Japanese is easy and Korean sits in the middle. (Well that's what I think)

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By CL60

@Sooty said:

unless you basically want it to dominate your life.

That's really not true, sure they are difficult but the bulk of their difficulty comes from learning the different characters, Korean is much easier in this department where as Mandarin is at the other end of the scale, Japanese is a good middle ground.

Although it must be said that Mandarin pronunciation is fucking hard, Japanese is easy and Korean sits in the middle. (Well that's what I think)

I think reading and writing Korean is actually easier than English to be honest. I learned how in about a day.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#9  Edited By JJWeatherman

E-English?

Avatar image for charlie_victor_bravo
charlie_victor_bravo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

Objective-C. Easier than most of the languages you have listed.

aceofspudz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By aceofspudz

@CL60 said:

@aceofspudz said:

Not necessarily, Korean isn't really that difficult after you wrap your head around the grammar. You can learn to read Korean in like a day.

But you wont be able to learn any language unless you really have a reason to, if you aren't motivated to learn it, it's just not going to happen.

I learned the Korean alphabet on a lazy Saturday morning a few weeks ago. It's really the antithesis of the chinese writing system, which was designed specifically to be obtuse and elitist.

Drebin_893

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12  Edited By Drebin_893

I'd say English?

Metric_Outlaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 8

#13  Edited By Metric_Outlaw

It depends on where you live and what you intend to do. Also your age as well. I took French in high school and when I worked at a theme park later on that was an incredibly useful skill. I would say if you plan on living in the southern US it would be useful to know some Spanish. If you plan on leaving the US or work in international business then Mandarin can be super useful.

forkboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#14  Edited By forkboy

Honestly, as the fella above mentioned, it's impossible to say what the right language to learn would be without knowing what you want to use it for. Do you plan on moving to said country? Work as a translator? In the UK there's lots of opportunities for people who can speak Polish & English in translating, presumably for courts & the like. Or you could get the pre-requisite qualifications to teach English as a foreign language in numerous countries (my sister has done this for a year in Barcelona, & is currently in her second year in Chile doing this) & go to where you fancy, because you will pick up the language more living in among people who use it on a daily basis.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By BabyChooChoo

@charlie_victor_bravo said:

Objective-C. Easier than most of the languages you have listed.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck. I was dying to make this same joke lol

supamon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By supamon

As a chinese, I can tell you learning to write mandarin and speaking it are two different things. Can't deny its usefulness if you intend to do business in Hong Kong/Taipei of course.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#17  Edited By sweep  Moderator

Japanese. So you can watch old Japanese films without shitty dubbing.

Cramsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18  Edited By Cramsy

I've been studying Mandarin for a while. It's really rewarding but also a fuck-ton of work. If you want something to sink your teeth into and really stretch then go for Mandarin!

I_smell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#19  Edited By I_smell

Caelondian.

And then tell me what this bandana says.

Avatar image for rollingzeppelin
rollingzeppelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By rollingzeppelin

If you want a job in Canada, knowing French is a huge advantage.

derevo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By derevo

Russian. The alphabet may look intimidating, but it's actually much simpler than the Latin alphabet (in the case of English).

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#22  Edited By Video_Game_King

...Whatever the hell you want?

psylah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By psylah

I'd say Korean, we have better relations (business and political) with Korea than with China, and learning japanese is soooo 1990's.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Fredchuckdave

Mandarin so you can read Three Kingdoms untranslated

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Azteck

How grammar works in most western languages?

matti00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#26  Edited By matti00

I've been thinking recently that French, Spanish or German would be fun to learn, just because they look easy and can come in useful in everyday life.

On the other hand, I learnt some Icelandic for my recent visit, and when people understood me and mistook me for a native, I felt like a fucking boss.

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Karl_Boss

Mandarin is the most practical, especially if you're going into business.

stinky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By stinky
@CL60 said:

exactly.
do the language that you can apply and use, that is if you want to actually learn it. 

if its just an exercise in learning, want to pick up a few things out of fun, pick whatever interests you. as you are giving a list on a message board i will assume none of them actually hold value to you.
izzygraze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By izzygraze

What is your first language? That'll determine how easy it'll be.

But yeah, tons of people are learning Mandarin since China's economy is getting stronger. For Canada I'd also say French. Other than that it'll depend on where you live or are planning on going.

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

#31  Edited By Phatmac

Where are you from? That's help as you should learn languages from countries close to you.

Avatar image for inappropriate_touchscreen
inappropriate_touchscreen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For practical purposes, I'd recommend Mandarin Chinese. You'll find lots of English speakers in Western countries, but if you happen to be visiting Asia, you'll be able to find Mandarin speaking people in China, Singapore, Thailand, Japan, Korea, Malaysia, etc.

Plus, Chinese grammar is pretty simple, drag-and-drop words to form sentences kinda thing, so it's easier to pick up quickly than if a non-English speaker were to try and learn English.

Avatar image for bourbon_warrior
Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

Madarin so you can hear what they are saying behind your back.

InternetCrab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By InternetCrab

Mandarin or Spanish if you want to have use for the language.

All countries in America except 3 speak Spanish, but China is also a great power.

I would prefer Spanish though.

InsidiousBliss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By InsidiousBliss

@glasswall52: I am trying to learn Russian for my wife and her family. Maybe it is just me, but it seems a lot more difficult than other languages I have studied. Maybe it is because I am using Rosetta Stone instead of a classroom setting.

dichemstys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#36  Edited By dichemstys

I'd perfect your English first. :)

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers