Who do you want to direct the next Batman movie ?

• 52 results
AntoveX1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Ben Affleck is stepping away from the directors chair. Who do you want to take on the directing ?

My candidates :

Gareth Edwards - Rouge One

Tim Miller - Deadpool

The Russo Brothers - Captain America

Bryan Singer

Jon Favreau

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've had enough Batman. The Nolan/Bale trilogy was pretty great. Batman vs Superman was not. Not that Affleck's Batman was what was wrong with it exactly. Bring on the other big DC names: Wonder Woman, Aquaman, The Flash (the TV show is terrifically mediocre, so that's probably out...)

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

I think Jon Favreau might be a good change of pace.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Not Zack Snyder.

AntoveX1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sinusoidal: I think Affleck was the wrong choice too! I don`t know who would do a good job as Batman.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@antovex1: I said Affleck wasn't what was wrong with the movie. I thought he was a perfectly OK Batman. The killing-people stuff didn't really bother me. In fact, now that I think about it, I wouldn't mind a gritty-ass, R-rated Batman.

BrunoTheThird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By BrunoTheThird

I think less obvious choices always make for more interesting films, like Burton or Nolan were.

So I'd go with wild cards like Mel Gibson, Frank Darabont, or Michael Mann. Directors known for strong character development without too much humour.

If we were to take Batman into a totally different type of film, I'd take a bet on Nicolas Winding Refn. His consistency as a director is poor, but Drive, Bronson, and Pusher have real character and style for days.

Story: I'd love them to do an older Bruce, more seasoned and in declining health, looking for a new protege to take his place as a new villain, the worst Gotham's ever had, has descended on the city. The Arkham Knight or someone would actually be great on film; perhaps Azrael could be in it, too, played by the Luke Cage guy or something. I have no idea. I'm just going mad now.

AntoveX1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@antovex1: I said Affleck wasn't what was wrong with the movie. I thought he was a perfectly OK Batman. The killing-people stuff didn't really bother me. In fact, now that I think about it, I wouldn't mind a gritty-ass, R-rated Batman.

Sorry! I read your answer to quickly :). It´s going to be hard to beat the Nolan versions , but a R-rated version is probably the way to go .

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#9  Edited By liquiddragon
  • Gareth Edwards - Na dude. I haven't seen Monsters but based on Godzilla and Rogue One, he isn't a good director.
  • Tim Miller - I don't know, maybe. Deadpool is ok but he doesn't have much to go on. I'm leaning no. Deadpool seems like a fluke box office success.
  • Russo Brothers - Not gonna happen so we don't have to consider them. Pretty good directors though I'd say.
  • Bryan Singer - He is 2 for 5 when it comes to superhero movies, 2.5 for 5 if we say Days of the Future Past is half way there. If I was an executive with the power, I say he is not touching any more comic book movies.
  • Jon Favreau - I like him ok but I don't really think his sensibilities fit with Batman. I'd find someone else

My pick?

• Matthew Vaughn - He's got his own thing and a bit different from most big budget directors. Not huge on Kingsman but Layer Cake and Kick-Ass I quite enjoy. X-Men: First Class I really like and think is one of the better superhero movies so I'd give him another crack at it.
LawGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

How about we not make another Batman movie for awhile? How about no more superhero movies, period?

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

@lawgamer: that's not the point. it's happening whether you like it or not.

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 44

The Russos are an amazing team who have been making the best comic adaptations in my opinion. They were rumored for XO Manowar as well, which I hope is true.

Svenzon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

There's a rumor out that George Miller is on the short list to direct. I would definitely watch a Batman movie directed by George Miller.

ATastySlurpee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 15

I think Zack Snyder has amazing art direction in his movies so I'm all for him directing a full out Batman flick. Watchman had great atmosphere - dark, gritty and brooding - and is probably one of the best comic book adaptations I've seen to date. People love to hate on Snyder for whatever reason but "visually" I find his movies quite stunning, and just like with comics it's the visuals I come for. Sure I'd like there to be a good story but if the action is amazing and the story so-so then hey I'm all for it. People love Avengers and those movies are all effects cause the story, and quite frankly most of the dialog, is absolute garbage.

blakey1985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

david fincher and do more detective shit

geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

Batman. Batman should direct it.

aktivity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By aktivity
@humanity said:

I think Zack Snyder has amazing art direction in his movies so I'm all for him directing a full out Batman flick. Watchman had great atmosphere - dark, gritty and brooding - and is probably one of the best comic book adaptations I've seen to date. People love to hate on Snyder for whatever reason but "visually" I find his movies quite stunning, and just like with comics it's the visuals I come for. Sure I'd like there to be a good story but if the action is amazing and the story so-so then hey I'm all for it. People love Avengers and those movies are all effects cause the story, and quite frankly most of the dialog, is absolute garbage.

Visuals can only take you so far though, at some point a bad story will start to detract from your enjoyment. The stories in the Avengers are average enough to not hurt the overall experience. But no matter how amazing I found the visuals in Sucker Punch, it couldn't keep me in my seat with that garbage story. Also if you've watched enough Snyder movies you start getting used to his visual style, which for me increasingly diminishes its impact while increasing the focus on story.

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Don't care. Not gonna watch it. Batman should be animated, so that it can embrace all its cartoony silliness. Poison Ivy and Mr. Freeze can never be in these pretentiously gritty live action movies.

cornfed40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By cornfed40

Ide personally vote Kevin Smith. Not the biggest fan of his "Jersey" movies, but the dude is a lifelong comic book fan who loves the source material more than anything he has ever written himself (and he has written some limited series of Batman the comic already anyways). I think he would do it justice in a way that no one else who has tried to fit Batman into "their vision" of a film has been able to do

xanadu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sort of would like to see a hard r movie directed by Scorsese but the Nolan movies are basically a pg13 light version of what that would be.

BrunoTheThird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fincher is a great shout.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 15

@aktivity: I never understood the vitriol really. I think Sucker Punch is on the exact same level as Avengers in terms of story, if not fractionally better because it at least attempts something deeper than RAR RAR get the bad guy! Of course Avengers and most Marvel movies are primarily aimed at young teens so they're as inoffensive as can be. I'd rather watch a movie fall flat on its face with style than bore me halfway through with its predictable plot.

Different strokes for different folks and all that, but the way people point out Snyder and Sucker Punch in particular as this sin against film making has often perplexed me as I've seen much, much worse.

TanookiSuit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Tim Burton

Avatar image for redhotchilimist
Redhotchilimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Redhotchilimist

Edgar Wright. The villain is The Mad Hatter.

For real! He adapted Scott Pilgrims's six volumes into one movie as good as anyone could imagine.

BojackHorseman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It'll never be Favraeu or the Russo brothers thanks to their connection to Marvel. Same goes for Brian Singer and Tim Miller. And that's good. The only one out of those four/five to direct would have been the Russo brothers, but I'm not sure how they would fit with a darker tone.

If WB and DC is serious about this whole universe; Denis Villeneuve. Best director around these days.

damodar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By damodar

Paul Greengrass, take shakycam gritty Batman to its natural conclusion.

Ummmmm I'm not sure what my super serious answer would be. Maybe somebody like Jeff Nichols or Jeremy Saulnier? David Fincher? Denis Villeneuve seems like the go-to guy these days, what with getting Blade Runner and Dune and actually being good. But if I could pick ANYBODY, I would say fuck it, because we have enough brooding Batman movies, and just pick somebody who wouldn't fit the project at all and would do something weird, like Woody Allen or the Coen brothers or David Lynch or Werner Herzog or Tommy Wiseau or Pedro Almodovar or Quentin Tarantino or Len Kabasinski.

I don't really care, but DC really need to a) get somebody who can actually craft a coherent story and b) not meddle. Or maybe they don't? Their movies still make like a billion dollars, I guess.

Puchiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Matt Damon...

WynnDuffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Uwe Boll

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

I think what DC needs is James Gunn who is currently finishing up Guardians of the Galaxy 2, not someone like James Gunn, they need HIM. Just as importantly Warner Bros. need focus on building and telling stories, even if it seems incongruous to what they started, and they have to put having a STORY first.

I guarantee that is Warner Bros continues the plans they have, they will totally wreck any future they have for making anything good. Tone is secondary to finding a good story to tell and telling it. If what that story tells turns out dark, so the "f" what as long as it a coherent story. Now if they want to sell these films and character to tweens? Well they they should lighten the fuck up in that case!

Choose a side: Are these DC movies for 19-44 year olds or tweens and teens? Either way could be profitable, but there is NO WAY to aim down the middle for both. Warner Bros needs to choose a path and then tell stories appropriate to that path. "PG" for ten years olds or hard "R"...not trying to be both.

emumford

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Michael Bay, I want to see Batman throw batterangs at people and watch them EXPLODE. Or if he kicks people they EXPLODE, or well everything exploding because Batman.

But seriously, Batman should sit on the bench for a while or be a cameo character until more time has passed. I don't think any new take on Batman will be able to live up to the level of grit and seriousness that Nolan managed to capture with his trilogy. But if it HAD to be made, like there's no way out of it, explosions.

AntoveX1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It'll never be Favraeu or the Russo brothers thanks to their connection to Marvel. Same goes for Brian Singer and Tim Miller. And that's good. The only one out of those four/five to direct would have been the Russo brothers, but I'm not sure how they would fit with a darker tone.

If WB and DC is serious about this whole universe; Denis Villeneuve. Best director around these days.

Denis Villeneuve would be a very interesting choice, maybe he could give the franchise the direction it needs.

lylebot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The next Batman movie is coming out this week! The Lego Batman Movie, directed by Chris McKay, getting great reviews so far (98% on Rotten Tomatoes with 45 reviews in).

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

David Cronenberg. Batarangs made of living flesh. Think about it.

Jokes aside, I'd actually like to see someone like Cronenberg, Aronofsky, or Lynch tackle Batman.

BigBoss1911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

David Fincher sounds about right

kcin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Honestly, I still want Ben Affleck to direct it. The Town is a pretty good simulacra of a Batman story, and if I use that as a measure of his skill telling that type of story, then I would say he has an incredibly firm grasp on what it takes to tell that story.

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Don't care. After Batman vs Superman & Suicide Squad, I'm done with DC movies

Avatar image for hippie_genocide
hippie_genocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By hippie_genocide

Please God not Zack Snyder. He's all style, no substance. I'll throw my hat in the ring for Alex Proyas. And yeah I'm not oblivious that you could levee the same criticism towards him, but let me temper my hypocrasy and say I want him to channel his best work in Dark City for a new vision of Gotham.

billmcneal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I think a Brian de Palma Batman could be good

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

#40  Edited By Kidavenger

I wouldn't mind seeing what Kevin Smith could do with a really big budget.

J.J. Abrams or Ridley Scott would also be interesting and maybe safer bets.

Matthew Vaughn would be cool.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16609964d9
deactivated-5ba16609964d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

Anyone but Zack Snyder

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nobody. dump this universe. You had 3 movies already and you messed all of them up.

Zack Snyder is a horrible filmmaker and Affleck as director of this batman movie was the one chance they had at a decent movie in this universe.

ElkSmash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By ElkSmash

@antovex1: I would love to see a Batman movie with the same feel as Collateral. I've gotta go with Michael Mann... and I'm sorry, but "Rouge" made me giggle.

No Caption Provided

btrdeadthanred

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By btrdeadthanred

Werner Herzog

Here is the Bat Man. All the money can't fill ze crippling hole of his parents untimely demise. He is consumed by muderous rage. It compels him.

spiceninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll do it.

ElkSmash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@elksmash: Also the movie should NOT have Ben Affleck in it.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ben affleck and matt damon

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#48  Edited By ProfessorEss

After Suicide Squad I'm like fuck it, give it Sandler.

He can cast himself as Batman, Schneider as Robin, Spade as Gordon and Kevin James as the Penguin.

...if he could convince Norm MacDonald to play the driest Joker you've ever seen I'd probably flush my 15 bucks down the toilet to see it.

SamanthaK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Im so done with superhero movies, you litterly get drowned in them these days.

Not to mention the superhero shows that are popping up all over Netflix.

Zleunamme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

My list of directors would never get picked or mentioned to do a super hero movie. Just to mess with people's expectations. John Waters, Jim Jarmusch, Paul Thomas Anderson, Wes Anderson, David Lynch, Sophia Coppola, and Kathryn Bigelow.