Why are gas powered weed eaters useless?

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

I mean really? my dad used them and they didn't work back then and they still don't i've had this pro poulan weed eater for about 5 years now and its never worked right i followed every direction i could and it just never has and when i did get it to work right the spooling of the thread  was all ways off it never bumped right my god!
So i replaced the spooling head with one of those lockon heads where you push a button and slide a weed eater peice of line so 2 cutting ends come out and it worked for a while but i go to the store to pick up some more cause the weed eating around fence lines needs to get done and i buy an recycled plastic kind and the lines wont even stay in the head they slip right out, it took me 10 freaking minutes to start this thing up and then it kept shutting down, For years i've used premix gas oil cause the 1:40 gas oil mixture i've never been okay with doing my self and for years i've followed the instructions full choke, pull starting line allow to run for 2 seconds, set to half choke pump gas allow to run for 10 seconds, turn off choke and use and it just never works right.

fuck gas powered weed eaters im geting a recharagle weed eater they are more convient don't use stupid gas mixtures, and they are a hell of a lot lighter.

dr_nefarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By dr_nefarious
WilliamRLBaker said:
I mean really? my dad used them and they didn't work back then and they still don't i've had this ... [more]
I know exactly what you mean, I just recently got an electric weed eater and it works great. So I don't have to frustrate myself over a gas powered weed eater.
BuckyBall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By BuckyBall

Yeah, I've also recently had trouble with my gas powered weed cutter. I stopped using it altogether. Instead, I try to maneuver the lawn mower over the uncut edges. 

Avatar image for deactivated-5884be30433ec
deactivated-5884be30433ec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I would definitely prefer a cordless weed strimmer. That hassle that big long cord is coming out of your kitchen window over the grass. With about 3 extension cords may I add... (I think I am talking about the same thing, or is there electric ones that have some kind of battery power...)

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By TwoOneFive

"i mean really?"

Avatar image for randominternetuser
RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@WilliamRLBaker:   Although weed eating is the devil, I've never had trouble with a gas powered weed eater, and I've used them all my life.
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#7  Edited By jakob187
xobballox said:
@WilliamRLBaker:   Although weed eating is the devil, I've never had trouble with a gas powered weed eater, and I've used ... [more]
Same here.  Hell, I used to run a "lawn care service" when I was 12, and the weed eater I had (which was already about 7 years old) still worked fine.  You just gotta make sure you take care of them and clean them properly, use the right gas mixture.  There is a delicate science to keeping them running well, but I can't say that I've really had a problem with them in my own personal experience.  =  /
toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By toowalrus

Yeah, when I do yard work, I use an electric one. It works just fine, but the long-ass extension cord can be a slight pain.

wosifat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By wosifat

I've used gas ones and have had what I guess were the desired results.  Then I cut the grass at a friend's house and used their electric one, and I really liked it.  Only it wasn't a very well rated one on HomeDepot.com.  And the cord is thin and the autoloader doesn't load.  But I still prefer it to mixing the gas.
Call me crazy, but I'm wondering how hard it would be to gut a gas one and install and electric motor that would take rechargeable battery packs.  That sounds like a fun little project.

Avatar image for randominternetuser
RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

jakob187 said:
xobballox said: @WilliamRLBaker:   Although weed eating is the devil, I've never had trouble with a gas powered weed eater, and ... [more]
See, you just have to be a professional with weed eaters.  (p.s. I started weed eating when I was 12 as well, but I didn't get payed, my mom just slaved me into weed eating and mowing half the yard and she took all the money D:)
Fr0Br0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11  Edited By Fr0Br0

A couple weeks ago I used a gas powered weed eater. Instead of wire spool it had a hard head that spun. It was hot out that day and a gas powered weed eater weighs like 5 times more than an electric one, so I took off my shirt to cool off a little. I continued working with my shirt off when I hit a large piece of wood with the head. The head not being spool didn't break off, but broke a sharp piece of wood that came flying at me at a speed I couldn't see. The wood cut across about 2 inches right under my chest. And by the end of the day, I couldn't feel my arms because they were so tired from using that big ass overweight son-of-a-bitch.

The week after that, I used an electric one and got twice as much work done in half the time.

I fucking hate gas powered weed eaters...

Godwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Godwind

Weed eaters?

I call them Weed Whackers.

lukeissxc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By lukeissxc

Mine works fine and it always has.

You should try using one on your face to cut off whatever the hell that thing is on your chin.

RetroIce4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By RetroIce4

Great New Invention: Electric Weed Whackers/Trimmers... wait for it!... Without the Cord. OMG. HAX. JEBUS, T3H ANTICHRIST!

c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By c1337us

I am going to assume you are refering to what we would call in Australia a Whipper Snipper. I have only ever owned fuel powered ones as I find them to be far superior, and getting the right fuel mix is not that hard. Most service stations sell the 2-stroke pre-mix that you can use for lawn mowers etc. The only rechargable electric one I have ever used was my brother-in-laws "Ladybug". That thing sucked ass (even by his own admission) and who the fuck names a garden tool Ladybug? Thats just not right.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

we'll as a few people have said the right mix, which wasn't the problem since i used a pre mix oil and fuel i bought at the store all ways so thats not a source of the problem, as for cleaning it i kept it clean about as much as my push mower id clean the filters and other such needfuls and make sure it was greased inside, and such it just never worked right for me i followed all the instructions and after a grueling usual 5 minutes of finally getting it to start and watching it die then finally geting it to stay alive enough i just give up now, I went out tonight and purchased a black and decker weed eater the one Godwind posted actually the same exact one, this thing is like 2-3 lbs i can hold it up with a single finger, and it uses 18v batteries so it should last really well it all so came with 2 batteries so thats a good thing, and since its black and decker its recharger is compatible with my 14.4v batteries on my power drill as well it has an auto feeding spool the spools cost like 3 bux for a spool fully done for you and you just pop it in, when it gets short it auto spools out more!
I love this thing i cant wait to use it tomorow.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#17  Edited By jakob187
@WilliamRLBaker: Don't know what to tell ya then, man.  Sounds like you got a killer new one, so cool beans to you.  Let me know how it turns out, because my mom is actually looking for a more dependable electric one than her current one.
WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By WilliamRLBaker
jakob187 said:
@WilliamRLBaker: Don't know what to tell ya then, man. Sounds like you got a killer new one, so cool beans ... [more]
well i can say that black and decker is a dependable brand i've never owned a black and decker product that failed on me or sucked.
As for it being your mom and she cant heft a heavy one then this is for her it really does weigh about 2 lbs maybe 3

Edit:nvm its 7lbs but it doesn't feel it, as well its capable of 7000rpm.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By hatking

Ours is gas, but I figure an electric would probably be just fine.  We had an electric mower and let me tell you if you've got more than twenty square feet of lawn that isn't going to do you any good.  The mower would die out or chug once I moved on to the back yard.  With the gas one we have I was able to mow down knee high grass with ease.

FlappyHands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#20  Edited By FlappyHands

We call them Strimmers in the UK, mostly. There are some gas ones which are amazingly awesome, the guys who come from the council to cut back all the weeds in the field I live next to are no frickin' joke, those things will cut through bushes, nevermind weeds. We just use a nice lil' electric one in the garden though, as a gas one at home would be overkill. Just stick to the electric corded/cordless ones, man.

Also, if you're interested the best brand of gas powered strimmer I would say is probably Stihl.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

We'll i've taken the black and decker back it wasn't a bad lil weedeater but it didn't have the longevitiy i was looking for since i have to mow and weedeat 3 lawns my own and 2 for my friend i thought id get atleast enough weed eating done in each yard per battery but my own yard took up a battery and a half to do i would have had to buy atleast 4 more batteries and chargers just to get 2 yards done.
So i took it back tonight cause i saw these new feather lite weed eaters *the green ones with the weed eater brand name* it doesn't use a line feed or any thing like that it uses super thick line peices you slide in, in a shoe horn type shape interface so you get 2 lines stick out and its super thick line so its supposed to not break nearly as easy.

Atleast that was till i saw a Poulon pro *which is the same brand i had before* and since i have a tiller attackment for the poulon pros smart link i thought ill be a more up to date one and it has the same head as the weed eater *since poulon makes the weed eater brand* its all so much lighter then my old one, and it has what they call EPS or effortless pull starting its supposed to be easier to start...so ima try it out tomorow im putting it together right now.

RichardLOlson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#22  Edited By RichardLOlson
Where did you get that at Will?  I'm needing to get me a new one.  I might check that out.
Avatar image for phaggybignastymckill
PhaggyBigNastyMcKill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

nah man you get some gas and pour it on the weeds and light that shit up

MrPerfect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By MrPerfect

I have no problem with gas powered weed eaters, I just do the normally upkeep on it and it has lasted me forever. 

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

Seems to be working fine this new one.

wardcleaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

We call them Strimmers in the UK, mostly. There are some gas ones which are amazingly awesome, the guys who come from the council to cut back all the weeds in the field I live next to are no frickin' joke, those things will cut through bushes, nevermind weeds. We just use a nice lil' electric one in the garden though, as a gas one at home would be overkill. Just stick to the electric corded/cordless ones, man.

Also, if you're interested the best brand of gas powered strimmer I would say is probably Stihl.

I have a Stihl gas powered and I concur that they are some of the best weed eaters/trimmers/strimmers. The shafts are sturdy and seem impervious to warping/bending. I inherited mine from my father when he retired and moved into a condo. I think it was about 5 years old when he gave it to me 3 years ago. The only think I have done to it is replace the spark plug.

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I also go to giant bomb and search the forums for threads about weed eaters.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ssully said:

Don't get me started on lawn mowers

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 15

@ssully said:

Hey, Off-Topic means Off-Topic. At least we're well away from the Giant Bomb Relationship Hotline years.

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

oh hey I get it weed eaters happy 4/20

A_E_Martin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers