Why do people abhor After Earth?

• 71 results
Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

@hailinel: Book of Eli was okay up until the reveal that Eli was blind.

That shit was so stupid and created too many plotholes to work.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#52  Edited By Hailinel

That twist is why I hate it. Magic Blind Guy Carts Bible Across Apoclcalyptic Hellscape.

seveword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

@hailinel said:

@oldirtybearon said:

That twist is why I hate it. Magic Blind Guy Carts Bible Across Apoclcalyptic Hellscape.

I liked the first 5 minutes, when it looked like Fallout: The Movie. I quickly lost interest once people started talking, so the blind reveal got nothing more than an "eh" from me.

Mr_E_Mann

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

This sums it up nicely.

Loading Video...

Osaladin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By Osaladin

@mr_e_mann: That was amazing and accurate. Amazingly accurate even.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

@hailinel: I hated the ENDING to The Book of Eli. The rest of the movie? It was alright for a Hughes Brothers flick. The ending, though? I mean, there were moments in that film...

DENZEL LOOKED DIRECTLY AT THE BITCH HELPING HIM IN THE ROOM LIKE HE COULD SEE! THEY PLAYED THAT SHIT TERRIBLY!

However, the VERY end of it, those last few minutes? It just makes me cringe all around.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#57  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

I'd assume its because its Jaden Smith but then when looking deeper I think they should of brought in Tested's Will Smith. Think of all the slapstick comedy there folks, privileged kid who's dating a Kardashian teamed up with his nerdy father talking to him about the latest Iphone.

No Caption Provided

Nardak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#58  Edited By Nardak

I would have loved to watch will smith kicking ass and chewing gum. Instead this movie is a star vehicle for the actors kid who doesnt seem to have the range to act as a lead in a movie.

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I haven't seen it; I think it's weird it's basically a Smith family movie.

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

@humanity said:

So I just got around to watching this movie today - it is the Will Smith flick originally written by our very own Gary Whitta about a father and son getting stranded on Earth that has undergone quite a few changes over 1000 years. I thought overall the movie was pretty decent for a mindless sci-fi flick. The acting was just average but I really enjoyed all the tech, like the suits changing color, scanning and communication devices or the malleable weapons. Then as always after finishing my viewing I went online to read some trivia and comments. Then I realized wow - people really have a strong disliking for this movie and mercilessly pick it apart as if sci-fi cinema has always been somy holy bastion of reason and logic.

So I'm curious - did you guys really hate it? And if so, why? Personally I thought it was a decent flick with cool special effects - a 7/10

Look at what you wrote. What was good about it was the tech? and that it was mindless sci fi flick. And thats enough for a 7 from you? Your bar for movies is very low then. Things that matter in a movie really aren't there, I just don't think it is very good, as the story is pretty lame and acting is bad. But active hatred? Because it is just another vehicle set up by Will Smith for his song who obviously is becoming a spoiled punk ass kid. And it wastes a really good premise about how Earth changes without people just on a kids wish to be accepted by his dad. Jaden Smith has a little talent and is getting pushed to stardom more than he deserves. Thats why people hate it, because it takes their money only to give it to this punk ass kid. Justin Biebers best friend.

Venatio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By Venatio

@mr_e_mann: I was just about to post that, pretty much sums up my opinion

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#62  Edited By Humanity

@thehbk: but that's inane - every movie is taking your money and giving it to a bunch if suits that don't deserve it. I always thought its crazy that people would hate a movie because of the personal lifestyle of the actors within. People will hate Tom cruise movies because he's a scientologist. Who cares? What does Tom Cruise's faith have to do with the future dystopian cop he's portraying in a fictional movie? I'd give the movie a 7/10 because it's entertaining but nothing extraordinary. Is my bar set low? I don't know, I like a lot of movies. I liked Moon, Lost in Translation, Pacific Rim or Warrior.

The point of my thread was not to judge the quality if the film, obviously it's an avarage summer action flick, but rather to find out why people specifically seem to harbor strong negative feelings towards it as opposed to mild indifference like Oblivion or Now You See Me. The answer appears to be because will smith is a scientologist and he dared to put his own son in a movie - a sad but understandable reaction.

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity: Yeah, but you are putting a very real and assholly looking face to where the money is going. And it is not just the money, but the fame, that this kid is getting pushed down our throats. And it is not so simple to say we hate the movie because of an actor's lifestyle. It is a combination of that with the quality of the movie, it is much more complex as something such as hate is with humans. So we would generally brush it off as not very good. But when you see it is used as a vehicle for Jaden Smith, then you get pissed because he is getting an opportunity he does not deserve and has not earned. So the movie suffers as a result. As for me, maybe it is not his lifestyle but what I said before. This premise that is presented to us, returning to Earth after it was abandoned, sounds cool. But it is totally wasted because Will Smith wants to present us with a story that focuses heavily on his son and that just makes the whole movie suffer.

JCGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

I didn't want to see it because of Jaden Smith.

AssInAss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#65  Edited By AssInAss

@mr_e_mann said:

This sums it up nicely.

Loading Video...

Haha the movie broke the show, he just couldn't take it. Making Will Smith a bore, Cypher Rage, "take a knee", Jaden Smith, made up jargon, missed opportunity for setting, yeah I can see plenty of reasons to hate the movie just from that video.

http://gifrific.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/Will-Smith-Yelling-No-I-Am-Legend.gif

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think it's kind of amazing how much the internet hates a 14 year old boy. Or however old he is. It's still pretty sad.

Nardak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Yep it is only because we hate Jaden Smith with a burning passion that the movie is bad.

On the other hand the critics disliked the movie also. It has a 11% rating at the rotten tomatoes. An average of 177 reviews.

Dallas_Raines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think it's kind of amazing how much the internet hates a 14 year old boy. Or however old he is. It's still pretty sad.

He says he invented some kind of bullshit 'cosmic math' with his father, and he spends all his time on twitter just telling children that they should drop out of school and educate themselves. He deserves the hate.

Avatar image for detectivespecial
DetectiveSpecial

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By DetectiveSpecial

@dallas_raines said:

@spraynardtatum said:

He says he invented some kind of bullshit 'cosmic math' with his father, and he spends all his time on twitter just telling children that they should drop out of school and educate themselves. He deserves the hate.

For someone who claims to hold higher knowledge on how to improve the epistemology of a nation's children, he also has no idea how evolution works. And, for the most part, neither does the majority of the US, and popular media like this doesn't help much.

Fuck Jaden Smith. Jaden Smith sucks.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spraynardtatum said:

That's definitely bonkers. Kids say the darnedest things.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@thehbk: So if the movie didn't feature his son, and Jadens role would be played by any ol' child actor - then the movie wouldn't be so offensively poor? Then you wouldn't feel upset by it? I'm not even taking the movie quality, plot or acting under account - would the sole fact that his son is not in it make the movie instantly better for you? Because that's what it kind of sounds like, and thats insane.

@nardak said:

Yep it is only because we hate Jaden Smith with a burning passion that the movie is bad.

On the other hand the critics disliked the movie also. It has a 11% rating at the rotten tomatoes. An average of 177 reviews.

Well that's not what I was asking. As I said many times I don't claim it's a great movie. I was simply curious why people think it's TERRIBLE when it really isn't. I used to work in projection at a large movie theater for several years. I built 35 prints and later assembled digital movies when Sony 4K projectors replaced the old 35mm Christies, and I had to watch said prints to make sure the reels were assembled properly etc - so over those years I basically watched every major and minor motion picture to show up on the big screen. I've seen a lot of terribly offensive movies: Vampires Suck is a god awful piece of trash; Dinner For Schmucks was unbearable; Legion is just pure garbage - those are all terrible movies. After Earth to me doesn't seem to deserve this incredibly negative backlash as it's just an average movie. But by now I've gotten my answer and it's that people really hate Jaden Smith. I'm only guessing this hate would be tripled if they cast Justin Bieber as his son, because thats another young kid that a large part of the world seems to hate with a burning passion.

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity: Well I can only say maybe. If someone else had been cast, it might be slightly better as the acting COULD be better. But you are asking for why the intense hatred and that is why. Had another actor performed just as bad, the movie would still be bad, but the attention/marketing and therefore the hatred would not be what you see today.