Why Do People Call Others "Fake"?

OceanEve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I've noticed more and more people (including friends of mine) who call others fake, Really for nothing more than existing. Just walking through the mall and hearing someone I know look at someone and saying "they're so fake" and things like that are really perplexing to me. Why do people do this? Is it just insecurities or is there more going on when people use this type of language towards others. Especially considering when I hear it, it's usually thrown at people who they don't even know.

I'm just curious what you all think about this and if you've encountered this type of thing before. Thanks for your time! ^_^

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I dunno. Why don't you just stop being fake and get real?

LeStephan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By LeStephan

Seems like a case of people loving to make presumptions about others to make themselves feel better? I dont want to presume anything though haha, could be a buncha things.

Have you never asked your friends about what gives them the impression something/someone being fake when it came up?

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

Loading Video...

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Really though, sounds like you have some friends who just use that word liberally. Overall there is such a thing as a "fake" type of person so it has its place.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

People lie a lot. Sometimes for gain. Sometimes just for keeping up appearances.

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By MezZa

Well, the obvious thing is that its usually used for a person who lies a lot or is pretending to be something they're not. Someone might act entirely different around one person or group of people than they do alone or with an entirely different group. Like if you pretend to be a car guy at work because your boss is a car guy then you're fake. If your friends are saying it about people they don't know and are basing on appearances then they're using it wrong. It might just be adopted slang though. I've seen it thrown around a lot lately, especially with the usual AF after it on social media.

LeStephan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By LeStephan

People lie a lot. Sometimes for gain. Sometimes just for keeping up appearances.

Loading Video...

Avatar image for deactivated-64162a4f80e83
deactivated-64162a4f80e83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

More often than not it's just used as another word for hipster, scenester, trendslave etc etc etc

Poppduder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Insecurity.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c802d5244530
deactivated-5c802d5244530

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've known people who I guess I would call fake in the way they change their personality and opinions depending on who they are around. And I've had short interactions with people who give off a weird 'this person is too charming to not be shady' vibe. But its really not worth getting upset about, especially not to the point you're making rude comments at strangers. Your friend is probably feeling insecure in some way. I dunno what you can really do without getting into an uncomfortable conversation with them haha.

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

There are some people who just aren't genuine about anything, really. It's all an act to "fit in" with whatever they are doing. Like when one of the Kardashians wear a Slayer or Iron Maiden T-shirt. Name one song. ONE SONG.

uhtaree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because the people are fake.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e851fc84effd
deactivated-5e851fc84effd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@uhtaree said:

Because the people are fake.

real talk

Avatar image for do_the_manta_ray
Do_The_Manta_Ray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Boobjobs. Also, penis jobs.

And personality jobs, them's the worst.

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#20  Edited By Nodima

hollow children, all of them.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think that people are feeling more pressure to fit in in certain ways due to social media and whatnot (I AM AN OLD) and people are noticing that there's a big difference between the life a lot of people project and the one they actually seem to live if you observe them.

It's not a new phenomenon though. When I was a teen the popular insult was "poseur." It meant someone who is pretending to have an interest or skill or something but is actually faking it. "Oh he's not a real guitar player, he's just a poseur."

Of course we are all some combination of "authentic self" and poseur, and it can be hard to tell where one ends and the other begins. But people like to call each other out on this, sometimes to protect others (when someone is faking empathy in order to manipulate someone else) and sometimes just because they don't like someone else cashing in on what they perceive as unearned credit (a guy getting female attention for his music skills when he only knows 5 chords and 3 songs.)

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I remember I was talking to this girl at work and she was like "I'm voting for trump because Hilary is fake"

I asked her what she meant and she just kept saying "she's fake."

cmblasko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kingbonesaw: Kendall Jenner is Red and Black 4 Life. Don't listen to these haters.

Avatar image for deactivated-630479c20dfaa
deactivated-630479c20dfaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I remember I was talking to this girl at work and she was like "I'm voting for trump because Hilary is fake"

I asked her what she meant and she just kept saying "she's fake."

She is fake doe.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tothenines: This girl at work has NO proof Hilary Clinton is a synthetic person and neither do you

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#26  Edited By 49th

some people may think im a fake gamer for playing phone games, but no they would be wrong. my k/d is epic and i frag out every night, i like playing the simpsons tapped out but i can assure u im a true gamer and i have all the gamer gear. My razer death adder mouse begs to differ heh come get some

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#27  Edited By SpaceInsomniac

I used to think that if you wanted to know who was and wasn't fake, you would ask these fine young gentlemen here, as it seemed like they would be experts on the subject:

Loading Video...

I thought that you don't get any more real then that. I thought, here is a guy who isn't fake at all. A couple years later, I would learn the awful truth. It turns out, he just did it all for the nookie.

@mezza said:

Well, the obvious thing is that its usually used for a person who lies a lot or is pretending to be something they're not. Someone might act entirely different around one person or group of people than they do alone or with an entirely different group. Like if you pretend to be a car guy at work because your boss is a car guy then you're fake. If your friends are saying it about people they don't know and are basing on appearances then they're using it wrong. It might just be adopted slang though. I've seen it thrown around a lot lately, especially with the usual AF after it on social media.

Actually, this is a very good answer. Also, to the thread creator, if you break out in this song whenever one of your friends calls someone they don't know "fake," they'll probably get the message and stop doing that. Then again, you might lose some friends. Maybe don't do that.

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

Holden Caulfield started all of this.

fatalbanana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#30  Edited By fatalbanana

I have a friend that is fake. She has fake breasts, fake hair, acts ignorant to things she is clearly knowledgeable about and does all of it because she thinks that's what the type of guys she's into likes.

I wouldn't normally have friends like this but we have a lot in common outside of her need to constantly be liked by people.

She's one of my good friends and I love her but I would most definitely characterize her as fake.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Catcher and the Rye

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because they think it's too childish to say ' i dont like that person's face' but still want to offer hot takes on people.

Christoffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's a sign of immaturity and insecurity. We're all "fake" in most social settings. They should get over it.

Rebel_Scum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

I've noticed more and more people (including friends of mine) who call others fake,

How old are these people? Genuine question. I remember when I was 14 some of the blokes I used to hang around for that age talked some real bs.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#35  Edited By Justin258

@fredchuckdave said:

Catcher and the Rye

In the Rye. Come on, man. Also someone beat you to the reference.

Max_Cherry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I prefer the term "phony."

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#37  Edited By GERALTITUDE

General speaking, the opinion of any one human about any other human is worthless. Unfortunately, "hot takes" about others are a known epidemic of our species. To continue on this general angle, yes, I do believe almost every negative thing we say about other people is usually some sad reflection on ourselves. And we are sad creatures, hard to argue with that. As a rule, people should stick to talking about concepts and events, not people. They don't know shit about people, trust.

What you seem to be saying @giantlennonx_x is you think your friends are full of shit and calling people fake for no reason, especially if this just being thrown around at street-walking randos. Whatever the truth may be [standard clause about lack of truth] just own up to it and tell them so. Tell them to prove it. Ask them why. Counter with the classic "nuh uh, you're fake!". I know what I'm saying sounds partially in jest, but, in all seriousness, you should say what you think to your friends. When I was young and a friend of mine would spout nonsense I'd tell him to leave that shit alone, it's annoying. Sure, some of them weren't my friends much longer, but that is what it is.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c295850623f7
deactivated-5c295850623f7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Zleunamme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Generally speaking, we as individuals like to think that we are a good judge of character. You think you know somebody and realize you don't. Then there is that saying, "Don't judge a book by it's cover". It better to understand than to be understood. People in general are unpredictable and there is no way of knowing who people until a conversation starts happening. If that makes any sense.

Something related to video games.

Loading Video...

WynnDuffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Never known someone who wears a band shirt for a band they don't really listen to but for some reason pretend they do?

They're a big fat phony!

BoccKob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I prefer the term "phony."

Man, that Michael Jordan is so phony!