Why do people hate Steven Spielberg

coolarman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 9

#1  Edited By coolarman

I love alot of his films but why do people hate him. I will admit he has made some bad producer choices (Transformers 2) and his films aren't what they were back in the day but he is still a good Director.

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By zombie2011

I don't think people hate him.

DanielJW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By DanielJW

I like Boom Blox.

Avatar image for kowalskimandown
KowalskiManDown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

#4  Edited By KowalskiManDown

Because he is well past his expiry date... yet continues to make movies.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#5  Edited By AgentJ

People hate Steven Spielberg? I hate some things he has done (like raping Indiana Jones) but I don't hate the man himself, and he made some of my favorite movies.  

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By MrKlorox

He's Jewish in an almost entirely Gentile industry.

coolarman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By coolarman
@zombie2011 said:
" I don't think people hate him. "
I have read stuff from fans and other directors saying he's an asshole and all this shit. I know that one director say's he wishes he could kill him I forget who
septim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#8  Edited By septim

His last brilliant film was Private Ryan. That was a decade ago. He's made a lot of decent movies since then but nothing to the levels of where he was in his younger years.

Also nuking the fridge was probably a bad idea.

coolarman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By coolarman
@dcpc10 said:
" @creamypies said:
" Because he is well past his expiry date... yet continues to make movies. "
This, sad but true. Look at how he messed up the recent indiana jones movie, he obviously isn't as talented as he use to be. "
Like I said his films aren't what they used to be. Schindler's List is probably his peak film
zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By zombie2011
@coolarman said:
" @zombie2011 said:
I have read stuff from fans and other directors saying he's an asshole and all this shit. I know that one director say's he wishes he could kill him I forget who "
Maybe he is an asshole, we've never met him so we wouldn't know.
JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By JoelTGM

He made a very great film, Schindler's List, and quite a few good films, but I don't know why he is as famous as he is... or, well I guess it's because his films are all mainstream.

Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#12  Edited By Black_Rose

I don't hate him, I just think he's incredibly overrated. Schindler's List, Minority Report, The Color Purple and War of the Worlds are the only good movies he has ever done imo

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

#13  Edited By GunstarRed
@Black_Rose:
whats wrong with Jurassic park??????!!!!... or Jaws for that matter
ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By ArchScabby

they do?

EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By EvilTwin
@coolarman said:
" @zombie2011 said:
I have read stuff from fans and other directors saying he's an asshole and all this shit. I know that one director say's he wishes he could kill him I forget who "
I think you're exaggerating the amount of hate he gets.  I see more Peter Jackson hate than I do Spielberg hate.  Which is unfathomable, though, his King Kong remake was pretty boring. 
coolarman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By coolarman
@EvilTwin said:

" @coolarman said:

" @zombie2011 said:

I think you're exaggerating the amount of hate he gets.  I see more Peter Jackson hate than I do Spielberg hate.  Which is unfathomable, though, his King Kong remake was pretty boring.  "
Dude i found out the director his name is Alejandro Jodorwosky  check it out at the end of the interview 

http://www.brightlightsfilm.com/61/61jodorowskyiv.html
iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By iam3green
@AgentJ: because of that. i think some people hate spielberg because of some of the movies that he has made in the past. i don't care about to much about how made the movie that i'm going to go see.
RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#18  Edited By RHCPfan24

I still consider Steven Spielberg one of my favorite directors, as well as one of the best. Schindler's List and Saving Private Ryan are my favorite World War II movies as well as extremely impressive feats in film-making. No one can deny the effort and artistry that was put into the opening D-Day sequence of SPR. That is still probably the best war scene ever made on film. Besides, Raiders of the Lost Ark is the perfect adventure movie (in my opinion) and Jaws is the ultimate summer horror film. The plot progression and the rate at which you saw the monster was unique for its time and very well-done. As well, Jurassic Park was a lot of fun, even if it had somewhat cheesy acting, but I always admire that film for its great special effects and atmosphere. You can't forget ET, a classic in science fiction and the emotional The Color Purple. I am probably forgetting a few movies but he is still a first-class director in every way.

Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Black_Rose
@marioncobretti: Oh yeah, forgot about Jurassic Park, but not the shitty first one. Lost World was much better imo. Jaws is a ridiculously boring movie.
penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#20  Edited By penguindust
@MrKlorox said:

" He's Jewish in an almost entirely Gentile industry. "

What the hell are you talking about.  Everybody know the Jews run Hollywood.  Just ask Mel Gibson!  

And for a satirical laugh, check out this commentary in the Los Angeles Times a year ago.  " How Jewish is Hollywood?"

And to answer the question, I don't think anyone hates Steven Spielberg, people just hate that his gone back warped the classic movies he made years ago for a cheap buck or because he's older and "more responsible."
 1982 - Agents have guns
 1982 - Agents have guns
 2002 - Guns now walkie talkies
 2002 - Guns now walkie talkies
alexl86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#21  Edited By alexl86
@MrKlorox said:
" He's Jewish in an almost entirely Gentile industry. "
Marlon Brando would disagree, at least if he could. :(

When you start looking for people who are Jews in the movie industry, you'll find the percentage is much, much higher than the percentage of Jews in the population. I'm by no means saying Jews run everything, but they have a pretty big slice of the pie compared to other minorities.
MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By MrKlorox

Er... I thought my statement was so overtly ironic that nobody would even consider that it wasn't bullshit. Thanks guys for proving me wrong.

Chipset_Seven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Chipset_Seven
Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why? Simply because he's popular.  

alexl86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By alexl86
@MrKlorox: One would think that if your intention was irony, you'd structure the sentence in another way. The point doesn't come across.
ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By ryanwho

Munich was a great film. He's definitely more talented than everyone here. Mad props for Munich, Steve. 

Also, stop working with Lucas, Steve. That guy's a wierdo. 
Also, the Jew joke was way on the nose and obvious, alright you didn't get it alex that's fine, just move on. Don't save face, you didn't get the obvious joke and went off, but now we all move on.

Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Black_Rose
@Everyones_A_Critic said:
"

"
Bullshit, I like popular directors like Scorcese, Kubrick and Kurosawa. All of them are way better than Spielberg.
penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#28  Edited By penguindust
@ryanwho:   I didn't see it either, but I did enjoy your "way on the nose" comment.  That made me giggle.
ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By ryanwho
@Black_Rose said:
" @Everyones_A_Critic said:
"

"
Bullshit, I like popular directors like Scorcese, Kubrick and Kurosawa. All of them are way better than Spielberg. "
That sounds like film school conditioning. No offense. 
You're allowed to enjoy films like Lolita and movies like Minority Report. If you're too pretentious to allow yourself to enjoy movies, that's a personal problem. 3 directors being better than Spielberg doesn't make him a bad director or someone worthy of a stranger's contempt.
Frostbyte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Frostbyte

It's mainly because he is mainstream and bringing his name up in conversation won't get you any cred when talking with movie buffs.  Regardless he is one of the greatest directors and one of my personal favourites.  He hasn't lost his touch, but his great films are indeed further apart from each other.  Munich was a fantastic film.

Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ryanwho: If you were reffering to me (it looks like you weren't but I couldn't entirely tell) don't get the wrong idea, I love Spielberg, he's responsible for my favorite movie of all time, Jaws. I was simply reffering to the amount of elitism on the site when it comes to popular directors/actors/musicians.

@Black_Rose
said:
" @Everyones_A_Critic said:
"

"
Bullshit, I like popular directors like Scorcese, Kubrick and Kurosawa. All of them are way better than Spielberg. "
Did I point any fingers? 

Avatar image for deactivated-61f31c6da0e7f
deactivated-61f31c6da0e7f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

@dcpc10: look, that has more to do with a bad script than bad directing.  george lucas is who we should blame for crystal skull being the way it is, not speilberg.  besides, munich was freaking great (a very recent film of his)
ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By ryanwho

As a music elitist who casually enjoys movies, I don't get the deal with these movie elitist guys. Its good or its not, don't worry about your cred score, its in the tank already, we're in a recession. 

Im gonna plug Munich one more time.  
Cus I reaaaaally want Steve to stop with this Indiana Jones nonesense and make another raw ass spy thriller. 

Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Black_Rose
@Everyones_A_Critic: No you didn't,. You just said that being popular is the only reason why people don't like him.
spankingaddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 12

#35  Edited By spankingaddict
@DanielJW said:
" I like Boom Blox. "
Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#36  Edited By Brendan
@Black_Rose said:
" @marioncobretti: Oh yeah, forgot about Jurassic Park, but not the shitty first one. Lost World was much better imo. Jaws is a ridiculously boring movie. "

Remember that Jaws came out a looong time ago, and that it's fame was due to it's technical achievement, which at the time was revolutionary.
jeffgoldblum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#37  Edited By jeffgoldblum
@creamypies said:

" Because he is well past his expiry date... yet continues to make movies. "

Its like good writers. At some point in their career they may run out of ideas and their writing may suffer, but they will keep it up because it is all they have known for so long. On the other hand, I think Spielberg is still capable. I like the fourth indy movie. It wasnt terrible. People were just blinded by nostalgia.

Also it is very cool to hate popular things.
ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By ryanwho
@Brendan said:
" @Black_Rose said:
" @marioncobretti: Oh yeah, forgot about Jurassic Park, but not the shitty first one. Lost World was much better imo. Jaws is a ridiculously boring movie. "
Remember that Jaws came out a looong time ago, and that it's fame was due to it's technical achievement, which at the time was revolutionary. "
No. Stop pretending to know stuff about movies. 
catalystex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By catalystex

Because he's successful.