Why do we need 21:9 TV's?

Deadmeat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Deadmeat

Seems a few manufactors at CES think we have a need for this. Last time I checked only about half of my Blu Ray's are in "ultra widescreen" the rest are that regular 16:9. Games are only in 16:9, and so is TV. Seems like a really niche thing to me, I rather have the black borders on top and bottom personally, it's more natural than having black bars on the sides of 90% of what you view. 

First 3D now this... I don't think any of my tv channels are even true 1080P so why are they forcing new stuff already.

Jack268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Jack268

Before HD was released, nothing was in HD. Before 16:9 was released, nothing was in 16:9. Deal with it.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

#3  Edited By alistercat
@Jack268 said:
" Before HD was released, nothing was in HD. Before 16:9 was released, nothing was in 16:9. Deal with it. "
I agree with this. The technology has to precede the content. It makes much less sense for content providers to make their content to a satandard that doesn't exist, than a hardware manufacturer making technology for content that may or may not exist.
MayorFeedback

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By MayorFeedback

Way to not actually pay attention to what he's saying, Jack. 

I love the press release for that Vizio "Ultra Widescreen" TV: "So whether you're watching 2001, Lord of the Rings, Kill Bill, Toy Story 3, or countless other movies, you can watch them in their original aspect ratio and without black bars." Um... two of those four movies you just mentioned will have black bars on that television. 

Dumb.

MayorFeedback

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By MayorFeedback
@AlisterCat said:
" @Jack268 said:
" Before HD was released, nothing was in HD. Before 16:9 was released, nothing was in 16:9. Deal with it. "
I agree with this. The technology has to precede the content. It makes much less sense for content providers to make their content to a satandard that doesn't exist, than a hardware manufacturer making technology for content that may or may not exist. "
Actually, both ideas are dumb, don't happen, and are backward in their logic. That's not how it works. And saying "before HD was released, nothing was in HD" is like saying "before I made this cake, there was no such thing as flour."
Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#6  Edited By Video_Game_King
@Jack268 said:
Are you saying that there's HD for 4:3 aspect ratio? Also, movies. Movies were in 16:9 forever.
Jack268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Jack268
@Video_Game_King said:

" @Jack268 said:

Are you saying that there's HD for 4:3 aspect ratio? Also, movies. Movies were in 16:9 forever. "
What I'm saying is, it's not like stuff like HD was as common before everyone started producing HD televisions as it is now. I guess 16:9 was a pretty bad example but yeah. 21:9 may very well just be the next step forward for TVs.
Yelix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By Yelix

I feel like at some point TVs will become way too wide and they'll all be stupid like that giant dumb screen from Darkest of Days.

valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By valrog

Software will adapt to the Hardware once this settles down. See all the old movies remastered on Blu-Ray.

zidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#10  Edited By zidd
@Video_Game_King: There were HDTVs made that have a 4:3 aspect ratio.
JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#11  Edited By JJWeatherman
@Jack268 said:
Truth has been spoken. Not everything sticks, however.
stinky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By stinky

nice TV for people who love movies.
didnt read where they were forcing people to buy it, but if new technology is something you dont like, i'd suggest staying away from CES. 

personally i'd rather see this get a hold than 3D.

Aus_azn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Aus_azn
@stinky said:
"personally i'd rather see this get a hold than 3D. "
Amen.
agentboolen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By agentboolen
@Deadmeat:  I agree with you seems like a pretty boring upgrade to TV's, not to mention to soon. I'm all for 3d since its just giving you a 3d effect and people who don't like it don't have to bother.  For this aspect ratio thing its a little more complicated.  The fact is 16:9 is in the middle, but now its just seeming like a transition towards 21:9!!  The fact is movie directors are going to decide if they want to shoot in 16:9 or 21:9, its there choice and always has been, but the future of tv's isn't give me both and let me pick or buy both.  I think the future is actually a tv that extends in sizes, it would be cool if they make a tv that can extend from Full Screen - 16:9 - 21:9, but for me to ditch my 16:9 tv in favor of a 21:9 tv seems dumb, sure if you don't mind black bars the 21:9 tv is I guess the tv to go to now. 

Just seems like this will never end, have you seen the channels that take old full screen tv shows and crop them to widescreen?  I guess those guys will have to crop those shows even further, its enough to drive a guy crazy.  

Just kind of crazy that the future of tv is wider, and sure once we get that circle environment tv it could be kind of cool, but then we'll have to turn our heads around just to see stuff behind us!
ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By ThePhantomnaut

I remember some people going crazy over the 16:9 extension. It's funny stuff. It reminds me of this stupid sketch from Mad TV.