Why is everything always more expensive in Canada? (Car talk!)

Jayross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By Jayross

So I have been browsing for cars and have my eyes set on the Volkswagen Golf 2011. What annoys me is how much more expensive it is in Canada than the United States. 

$23,600 CDN while the same car in the USA costs $21,585 USD. 

Prices in USD: 

Car in CanadaCar in the United States
 $23,427 $21,585

Then, there are the higher taxes and other fees. Another thing that is interesting is that the VW Golf 2011 comes with automatic transmission STANDARD, while the same car in Canada makes you pay $1,400 to get automatic.  

I considered importing from the States, but the import fees and other taxes would make the effort not worth it. 

It's just kind of annoying... you know? I know there are a lot of Canadians out there, so does this upset people? Or are you guys content with your free healthcare and stuff?
Quadrifoglio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Quadrifoglio

Isn't the reason why the Golf comes with an automatic gearbox standard in the US because no one drives a stick?

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By HitmanAgent47

Candian money is usuallly worth less, so you have to pay a bit more to make up the difference. Then again american money is going down the toilet these days. Is the minium wage the same in canada and the u.s? I think you earn less in the u.s, yet the money is worth more. There are alot of factors involved.

Jayross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Jayross
@Quadrifoglio: Yeah, that's it. But I don't think many people in Canada drive stick, either. Why would it be different between the two countries?
Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By KaosAngel

Your dollar worth more, and more special.  

Jayross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Jayross
@KaosAngel: It's not worth more. It is special... I guess?
WickedCestus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#7  Edited By WickedCestus
@HitmanAgent47 said:
"

Candian money is usuallly worth less, so you have to pay a bit more to make up the difference. Then again american money is going down the toilet these days. Is the minium wage the same in canada and the u.s? There are alot of factors involved.

"
Canadian money has been practically on par for the last couple years. Currently, one American dollar is worth about 1.01 Canadian, which doesn't really account for the high price. The minimum wage in Canada is $8.00, while in America it's $7.25. I don't see how that makes a difference though... 

As for the OP, yeah. It's kind of annoying having to pay more. Fortunately, I live about five minutes from the border, so I can ship things to a city in the US, pick it up and bring it over to Canada without the higher prices. That doesn't exactly work for your case though....
joeybagad0nutz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By joeybagad0nutz

You guys have more taxes then Americans and your dollar is worth less, correct? If that is right, then that's the reason.
tobygw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: -1

#9  Edited By tobygw
@supermike6: Actually, the minimum wage here is $10.25 an hour. Well at least in Ontario it is, but that is where most people are at anyways.
Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Not only am I Canadian but I lived almost my whole life in the North (Labrador) which has extremely high prices and a high tax rate and sometimes pay double or more than what other provinces pay just for things like groceries.

WickedCestus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By WickedCestus
@tobygw said:
" @supermike6: Actually, the minimum wage here is $10.25 an hour. Well at least in Ontario it is, but that is where most people are at anyways. "
Yeah, I was just putting the lowest. Namely, the one we have over here in BC.
HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By HandsomeDead

It's weird to see magazines and things with the USD and CAD prices, usually a few dollars higher on the CAD side, and then seeing exchange rates where there really isn't anywhere near that kind of difference at all.

Burns098356GX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Burns098356GX

Where the car is assembled and where its being shipped to also has an impact on price.

keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By keyhunter

Cheese is more expensive. Games are more expensive. GASOLINE and OIL two things we supply is more expensive. Alcohol and cigs are more expensive. Food is more expensive.
EVERYTHING IN CANADA is more expensive.
I dunno if its because of our higher wages or because of all the taxes. But It's complete bullshit.

s7evn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By s7evn

There is probably at least a couple cents difference between the US dollar and the Canadian dollar which when multiplied by $21,000 could result in the extra $2,000. Also higher wages often yield higher prices.

mazik765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#16  Edited By mazik765
@supermike6 said:

" @HitmanAgent47 said:

"

Candian money is usuallly worth less, so you have to pay a bit more to make up the difference. Then again american money is going down the toilet these days. Is the minium wage the same in canada and the u.s? There are alot of factors involved.

"
Canadian money has been practically on par for the last couple years. Currently, one American dollar is worth about 1.01 Canadian, which doesn't really account for the high price. The minimum wage in Canada is $8.00, while in America it's $7.25. I don't see how that makes a difference though...  As for the OP, yeah. It's kind of annoying having to pay more. Fortunately, I live about five minutes from the border, so I can ship things to a city in the US, pick it up and bring it over to Canada without the higher prices. That doesn't exactly work for your case though.... "
I don't know where you got that stat for Canadian minimum wage but where I live (Ontario) it's $10.25 I believe. But the rest of your post is true, as far as I can tell. Canadian money has been pretty close to American for a while now, Kind of feels like some company's are just taking advantage of the idea that American money is worth significantly more, which most Canadians just accept as true.
WickedCestus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By WickedCestus
@mazik765 said:

" @supermike6 said:

" @HitmanAgent47 said:

"

"
Canadian money has been practically on par for the last couple years. Currently, one American dollar is worth about 1.01 Canadian, which doesn't really account for the high price. The minimum wage in Canada is $8.00, while in America it's $7.25. I don't see how that makes a difference though...  As for the OP, yeah. It's kind of annoying having to pay more. Fortunately, I live about five minutes from the border, so I can ship things to a city in the US, pick it up and bring it over to Canada without the higher prices. That doesn't exactly work for your case though.... "
I don't know where you got that stat for Canadian minimum wage but where I live (Ontario) it's $10.25 I believe. But the rest of your post is true, as far as I can tell. Canadian money has been pretty close to American for a while now, Kind of feels like some company's are just taking advantage of the idea that American money is worth significantly more, which most Canadians just accept as true. "
Like I said before, that is the very minimum, AKA the minimum wage in BC. 
rjaylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#18  Edited By rjaylee
@keyhunter said:

" Cheese is more expensive. Games are more expensive. GASOLINE and OIL two things we supply is more expensive. Alcohol and cigs are more expensive. Food is more expensive. EVERYTHING IN CANADA is more expensive. I dunno if its because of our higher wages or because of all the taxes. But It's complete bullshit. "

If you don't like paying taxes and having free medicare, by all means, move down south to our neighbours in the States.

[edit] Yes, I'm aware when I said 'free' it's not entirely free, because it's paid for in those taxes.
mithhunter55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#19  Edited By mithhunter55
@supermike6 said:

" @HitmanAgent47 said:

"

"
Minimum wage in Ontario is 10.25 $, I make 11$ working part time for my college. I don't mind paying more for things because i have cut down on many things; not buying games that cost more then 30-40$.
Knowing that the UK and Austrailla have to pay even more than our 70$ for a new ps3 game softens it slightly. Still 70$ is almost all they way to 100 haha.

@keyhunter

said:

" Cheese is more expensive. Games are more expensive. GASOLINE and OIL two things we supply is more expensive. Alcohol and cigs are more expensive. Food is more expensive. EVERYTHING IN CANADA is more expensive. I dunno if its because of our higher wages or because of all the taxes. But It's complete bullshit. "

Man, I love cheese though its getting to like 10$ for a brick on Cracker Barrel. :  /
xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By xyzygy

I still don't get how our dollar is basically the same as the US dollar but our prices are higher. Dun get.

alexl86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#21  Edited By alexl86

I went and checked with Volkswagen for prices here in Norway and the cheapest I saw was 227 000 NOK. Normally, if a thing costs 100 NOK over here, it'll cost $ 10 in the states. However, with the difference in currency, this car would cost around $ 37 000, and then the government has a few extra costs on top of that.

But it's all relative...

RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By RsistncE
@keyhunter said:
The use of rBST (recombinant bovine somatotropin) is illegal to use in cows in Canada to increase milk production. In the US however the FDA was paid off by lobbyists in Monsanto to cover up all the studies showing the possibility of extremely negative health impacts in humans. I can live with slightly more expensive dairy if it means I'm being protected from asshole corporations trying to make money off of people's health. 

Games have been the same price here since the dollar hit par or has hovered around parity. 

We supply oil, we don't supply gasoline. The Americans are the ones that turn that oil into octane for automobile use. 

Alcohol and cigarettes are more expensive because they're government regulated goods. That's great I think; tobacco and alcohol aren't necessities and only burden our health care system. 

Not EVERYTHING is more expensive but most things are. I gladly pay slightly more for consumer goods if it means living in a country that consistently ranks amongst the best in the world (and has even on several occasions ranked at the top :D).
Xeiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#23  Edited By Xeiphyer

We (Canada) get taxed more on vehicle purchases.

Sometimes though, its just because they can. Higher average income in Canada means they can get away with higher prices.

SirBlimE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By SirBlimE

Cheapest one I've been able to find in denmark:  

307678 danish kroner... in dollars that equals  - 54.758 Usd... 

just to inform you.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By iam3green

money is worth in canada. it's why they are more expensive.

nick_verissimo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#26  Edited By nick_verissimo
@supermike6 said:
" @mazik765 said:

" @supermike6 said:

" @HitmanAgent47 said:

"

"
I don't know where you got that stat for Canadian minimum wage but where I live (Ontario) it's $10.25 I believe. But the rest of your post is true, as far as I can tell. Canadian money has been pretty close to American for a while now, Kind of feels like some company's are just taking advantage of the idea that American money is worth significantly more, which most Canadians just accept as true. "
Like I said before, that is the very minimum, AKA the minimum wage in BC.  "
Yep, minimum wage varies by province and territory. Only Newfoundland, Ontario and Nunavut have minimum wage up in the $10 range. Collectively though, minimum wage hovers in the realm of $9.25-$9.50 nationwide. 
TheSmashing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#27  Edited By TheSmashing

Here in Portugal the VW Golf 1.6 TDI cost around  25.000 €UR ~ 33.000 USD. 

P.S. and  "they" call us a poor country. lol

Jayross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Jayross

Alright... I guess I don't have much reason to complain.

Quadrifoglio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Quadrifoglio
@Jayross:  I have no idea. I'm Danish and everyone drives a stick over here. :P
Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Example1013

It costs more to hire ice breakers to get those VWs from Germany into Canada. For the U.S., they just go south until the ice is gone in the winter.

Your fault for living where it's cold.

Jayross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Jayross
@example1013 said:
" It costs more to hire ice breakers to get those VWs from Germany into Canada. For the U.S., they just go south until the ice is gone in the winter.  Your fault for living where it's cold. "
It's actually warmer than a lot of the places in the US. At least my part of Vancouver.
spudtastic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By spudtastic

Yup, exchange rates, at least between the country the car is made in -and Canada -  plus shipping tariffs,make a difference.I'm not sure if you are hypothesizing this, but I think Canada and USA currencies are close to even these days.

stinky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#33  Edited By stinky

compare medical expenses in canada versus the US.   
you may find your answer.