Why is everything so predictable?

• 84 results
TheHumanDove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I personally feel someone in this thread is telling a TALL TALE.

e30bmw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hatking said:

You sound like you'd be a fan of Nolan. He loves to throw untelegraphed, meaningless twists into his films. "I GOT YOU! YOU DIDN'T SEE THAT COMING! ADMIT IT!" Well, yeah, because it doesn't matter and it doesn't make any fucking sense.

Are you referring to the most recent Batman movie? Because other than that, I can only think of one of his other movies that has a big twist, and it is heavily telegraphed. In fact, when you rewatch the movie, you notice all kinds of small nods to the twist.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

Because life continually follows similar patters and emulation is inevitable.

Shaunage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 10

Once you've seen enough stories told, you learn how they're told. You learn that small clues are never there by accident, and so if it seems like something could possibly be the case, it almost always is.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

@zfubarz said:

Last chapter of the Dark Tower series, again, guessed at it by the end of book 1. I could go on all weekend listing examples but the most damning is probably Sixth Sense. that movie EVERYBODY said was the biggest twist ever in a movie, hell it spawned the whole WHAT A TWIST meme. A friend of mine told me I HAD to see the movie, I would love it, it was so crazy... I watched the trailer and knew Bruce Willis was a ghost all along.

1. There is no goddamn way you could guess how The Dark Tower ends based solely on The Gunslinger. Unless you're a psychic, there's just no goddamn way.

2. Well, The Sixth Sense is predicated on a simple twist that anyone could see coming within the first five minutes if they were paying attention.

e30bmw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel: It's also a lot easier to predict a twist when you know there is one. As much as I don't like The Big Bang Theory, one of the episodes I have seen mentions this. Once you tell someone that the ending is mindblowing or that it has a good twist, they will be looking for stuff specifically while watching the movie (or reading a book, or interacting with any medium).

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@e30bmw said:

@hatking said:

You sound like you'd be a fan of Nolan. He loves to throw untelegraphed, meaningless twists into his films. "I GOT YOU! YOU DIDN'T SEE THAT COMING! ADMIT IT!" Well, yeah, because it doesn't matter and it doesn't make any fucking sense.

Are you referring to the most recent Batman movie? Because other than that, I can only think of one of his other movies that has a big twist, and it is heavily telegraphed. In fact, when you rewatch the movie, you notice all kinds of small nods to the twist.

All of the Batman movies shoehorn in some sort of twist (Begins: Ra's al Ghul didn't die at the beginning. Dark Night: James Gordon feigns his own death for some inexplicable reason, presumably just to give the audience a gasp moment when he rips his mask off later on in the movie. Rises: Well, that one goes without saying). Inception does it too. Memento. He's just as bad about that as M. Night and nobody calls him out on it. I'm not saying any of these are poor films - well, some of them are but that's not my point. Just that he loves his little "gotcha" moments.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

@hatking: The main difference between Nolan and Shyamalamadingdong is that, while Nolan does love his twists, his greater skill in writing and directing makes them easier to forgive than, say, a poorly constructed movie about aliens with a water allergy invading a planet that is seventy percent water.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By hatking

@hailinel said:

@hatking: The main difference between Nolan and Shyamalamadingdong is that, while Nolan does love his twists, his greater skill in writing and directing makes them easier to forgive than, say, a poorly constructed movie about aliens with a water allergy invading a planet that is seventy percent water.

Absolutely. I didn't mean to compare the quality of their films. Simply the similar tactic. Nolan's movies are generally entertaining, even if they aren't holding up as a narrative. M Night's movies are sometimes fun to laugh at, but mostly just make me sad that talent has so little to do with recognition.

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@zfubarz: Well .... try watching some of Werner Herzog films .... they are so unlike hollywood that you may be unable to guess the endings , also well most movies are very structured and american films try its earnest to not deviate from the usual , so its not unheard of that they can be a tad predictable. Sometimes I do guess some endings but I get so inmersed in some movies that the mind just flicks off and I am able to enjoy it even if the ending is hinted heavily before hand.

Also maybe you should wacth and older film.... like Passion of Joan Ark by Carl Theodor Dreyer , its not baaout the ending but the ride that matters.

wjb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There was a period last-gen (weird saying that) when practically every single game with a story I played had a character betraying the protagonist(s).

I mean, stuff like that has always been in games and it still occurs, but like, 5-6 years ago, I pretty much expected any helpful NPC in every game to screw me over at some point.

I don't see that happening as much as I used to.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#62  Edited By mrfluke

@zfubarz: Why is everything so predictable? Well, there are patterns to how things play out and the way people think. And if you pay enough attention, you can predict quite a lot. For dealing with life situations, it can be useful, but for enjoying fictional tales written by people using their understanding of those patterns to construct compelling narratives, it can be a bit of a pain.

You just have to learn to experience some things more instead of over analyzing them. Not everything is a puzzle, and if you approach most things as such, you'll find that they're generally not as unpredictable as you may have hoped. It's good to be observant and analytical, but it's also important to be able to sometimes loosen up and just enjoy things.

RazielCuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because you just hit puberty and part of growing up is being cynical about everything and everyone, thinking you know everything and that you could've done things better. Hopefully you come out the other side okay as a fully formed adult, if not well, that's why Metal was invented.

This episode of South Park is appropriate -

Loading Video...

e30bmw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hatking: I think there is a big difference between a "gotcha" moment and a twist. The ending of The Prestige is a twist. Jim Gordan being alive isn't.

And I can't, for the life of me, figure out what twists you are referring to in Memento and Inception.

SChiZm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What a pointless, jerk-off thread. The fact I wasted 5 minutes reading any of it...an old man, alone, filled with regret

Killerfridge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is why I just like to switch my brain off for most movies. Unless it's very blatant, I won't question the plot holes, try and predict anything, or connect the dots and foreshadowing. It's just not fun. If you're trying to just predict everything that will happen, how will you ever be immersed?

Also, predictability is not necessarily a bad thing. Take Breaking Bad, for example. Some of the things that were going to happen in that series were very obvious, but watching the scenes play out and all of the fallout was tremendous fun. Not everything revolves around big twists, or even plot.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@schizm said:

What a pointless, jerk-off thread. The fact I wasted 5 minutes reading any of it...an old man, alone, filled with regret

yup.

yinstarrunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@killerfridge said:

This is why I just like to switch my brain off for most movies. Unless it's very blatant, I won't question the plot holes, try and predict anything, or connect the dots and foreshadowing. It's just not fun. If you're trying to just predict everything that will happen, how will you ever be immersed?

Also, predictability is not necessarily a bad thing. Take Breaking Bad, for example. Some of the things that were going to happen in that series were very obvious, but watching the scenes play out and all of the fallout was tremendous fun. Not everything revolves around big twists, or even plot.

+1. There are more to stories than endings. If you are unable to enjoy a story because you know the ending, then the story has failed.

If you are unable to enjoy any story because you know all the endings, then you have failed.

fetchfox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zfubarz: I've studied film analytically (a real "useful" bachelors degree), so I know exactly how you feel, even more so. The media world lives on its formulas, they know what sells. This applies to everything from movies to TV, music, games, even books for goods sake. It's always been like this, it's nothing new (even the classic composer copied each others and followed formulas). Some have, and do, challenge them though. Try watching something less known that you know nothing about. Check out films by David Lynch, René Laloux, Fritz Lang, Gaspar Noé, just to name a few. Expand your horizon mate. Hell, you might even like some of Apichatpong Weerasethakul movies. I really enjoyed Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives, but it's certainly not for everyone.

zFUBARz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#70  Edited By zFUBARz

@killerfridge said:

+1. There are more to stories than endings. If you are unable to enjoy a story because you know the ending, then the story has failed.

If you are unable to enjoy any story because you know all the endings, then you have failed.

Very much these. Breaking Bad is a good example as well, a lot of it is predictable as hell, but generally the production and acting is well worth watching despite that.

Thanks to the people offering advice, I'll add some of them to the stockpile of things to read/watch some day.

Whitestripes09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Generally speaking in most forms of western art they follow a pattern of showing heroes or protagonists as having some sort of weakness or ailment. It's been that way since the ancient greek myths. Sounds like you just know how to recognize patterns really well.

natdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By natdog

Everything is so predictable in movies because scripts are written and edited based off rules which were recently laid down in a book called Save the Cat. These rules have been followed by Hollywood since the late 1980s and they work damn well on general audiences. I imagine it's the same for blockbuster video games too. When you have multimillion budgets at stake, you don't want to take many risks.

vaiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

Welp I guess you are just too smart and cool and should never consume any media ever again.

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Have you considered that most of what you listed isn't trying to be unpredictable?

mowcrosoft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jasonr86:

@jasonr86 said:

Watch some less known films. Or watch some South Korean movies. Watch Old Boy. If you can predict that movie you've got issues dude.

This^

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

you could stop watching/reading derivative pop fiction as a start. Or you know, just stop trying to convince everyone in the room how brilliant you are. People totally see through that dude and it's not attractive/endearing. Keep it up though, see if you can guess the ending to that story.

Belegorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Let me ask you this: Did you guess Samus's gender right in Metroid? If you did, you're a psychic.

guiseppe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

As the great Shirley Bassey said; It's all just a little bit of history repeating.

fox01313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#79  Edited By fox01313

Hollywood is mostly recycling so much with very little imagination in the story in so many many films lately.

HerbieBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Read more books. Watch less movies.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#81  Edited By crithon

Pulp fiction, the genre not the film. It's cheap, it's easy to produce and it's made to entertain. It's a part of all media so there's a cheap quality to it, even though we like this or that for other reasons.

tsutohiro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You aren't alone duders. I get this same deal constantly. It sucks because no one likes a know it all.

I Think @truthtellah nailed it, it's predictable because it's simple. Life is a circle and we look for the patterns.

Krullban

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

At the end of the Gunslinger you predicted the end of the series? Absolute bullshit.

cerium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If I could perdict things, I'd have a different power too. The power to make a change. Save the world form someone else going through this. I mean wouldn't you be better off if someone did that for you in the first place. I probably shouldn't post on such a old thread.

KillEm_Dafoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

I don't mean to brag, you guys, but I totally predicted this thread getting resurrected 5 and a half years after the fact.

Avatar image for deactivated-6321b685abb02
deactivated-6321b685abb02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers