Will the community behave if GB gets called out again?

• 106 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Slang_N_Bang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Slang_N_Bang

If Jeff hires another friend or name in his "rolodex"(Like as of today unemployed, New York based, gaming reporter Ben Gilbert), can we all just let go of any criticism or fury directed at Jeff and what the site theoretically represents in said critic's mind? (Bro-ness, frat boy mentality, the stuff said about most sites based in SF)

It isn't exactly fair or reasonable when hundreds or even thousands of Twitter randos gang up on one frustrated writer, just for being disappointed in Giant Bomb.

Take a breath and calm down before becoming GB's 'defender', they're all adults. Brad and Alex made a point of telling their followers exactly that last time this happened.

Like Jeff tweeted about recently, just mute everyone on Twitter and we'll enjoy everything more.

This is obviously completely hypothetical, I'm just saying in case of another meltdown, just chill and eat a hotdog or something.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

There's no way to control the internet, unfortunately. Reason gets thrown out the window when someone is angry about something.

Let's worry about this when it happens. I fear this post alone will wake someone's latent anger.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By BisonHero
No Caption Provided

For real though, it'll be fine. Relax.

Make_Me_Mad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

"The Community" will probably be divided on what they do when/if that happens because it's not a hivemind. People can't agree on which members of staff they like, whether or not reviews are useful, which games are morally reprehensible and corrupting our fragile minds... probably for the best to call people out for bullshit individually instead of deciding that the forums as a whole are letting you down.

ejc93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Of course not, and the defensiveness will for the most part be cringeworthy and deliberately disingenuous just like last time.

PrivodOtmenit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, thank you for telling me to remain calm, if not for this thread I may have gone berserk.

You're really making a difference with this.

Wacomole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Wacomole

"The Community" will probably be divided on what they do when/if that happens because it's not a hivemind. People can't agree on which members of staff they like, whether or not reviews are useful, which games are morally reprehensible and corrupting our fragile minds... probably for the best to call people out for bullshit individually instead of deciding that the forums as a whole are letting you down.

Loading Video...

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

You have to remember that the giant bomb "community" is far larger than those of use who frequently post on the forums. There's the people who only listen to the podcast, the people who lurk but never post, the people who aggressively hated on Patrick whenever he showed up, etc.

But also people should really just chill the hell out. I certainly think Giant Bomb could use some diversity (if not in gender, race, or sexual orientation, then at least in what sorts of games they like), but the firestorm that happened when Dan and Jason were hired was enough for me to seriously consider ditching these forums altogether. Don't get me wrong, I don't have a lot of sympathy for the shrill critics of this site who considered it the end of the world because they didn't hire some sort of minority, but the backlash from certain segments of our community was much, much worse.

Slang_N_Bang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Niceanims

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fraid not

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Their appetite for drama relating to what kind of fleshpieces exist in the nether region of the human form is ravenous, their cups will spilleth over with the blood of the new hire. One woman enter Two man leave. Forewarned you are, all of you.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

This hiring is way more low profile than the last one, considering that was two new people for the main office, which we'd been waiting years for, and a lot of people made big deals about applying. There was like 20 pages of forum speculation. I don't think this hiring will be as big of a deal, so the reaction won't be as strong from either side. Hopefully people have grown up a bit about it too.

Avatar image for alwaysbebombing
alwaysbebombing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By alwaysbebombing

Hold onto your butts

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

I just hope it's somebody who is good at what they do.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I'm sure the new hire will be great, and I look forward to another internet idiot litmus test.

Avatar image for deactivated-66361f5b4a584
deactivated-66361f5b4a584

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The only way to ensure complete harmony in the GB community is to hire a Caravella. Or Jeff Green.

joshwent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I reserve my right to call out bullshit and slander where I see it. The negative response to Dan and Jason's hiring was awful, as was the response to that response. But being critical of the later and not the former is just creating a selective truth.

Also, the idea that people who like a website qualify as any sort of defined "community" is completely absurd.

71Ranchero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

The color of someones face and the bits between their legs have nothing at all to do with making jokes about a very silly hobby on camera. I fully support anyone and everyone of any combination of genders or colors so long as they have a knack for tripping over the same ottoman every single day and making me laugh. #bestforthebomb

I had to step away from the forums for what felt like ages because of all the constant fighting(even before the actual hiring). I would really rather not have to do that again.

Haruko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

As long as they are entertaining I don't care who it is and neither should anyone else.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

I'll probably won't care much about who is hired, I won't care beyond being disappointed in some groups for trying to force equaility.

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Does it really matter? At what point does any reasonable member of society actually care about what the forum-goers think. Especially after the initial unrest? The whole ordeal with Dan Ryckert was akin to riding a roller coaster. Everyone "went home" after the first day or two, and to bring it up again generally labels you as a mischief maker. (I'm not pointing at the OP with that last comment, FYI)

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I agree with most that think the next hire should first and foremost be someone that fits well and is good at what they do. But, I will say it would be nice to have a new perspective added into the mix to freshen things up, especially with Patrick now gone.

There are so many facets of gaming that the staff of this site know pretty much nothing about, so someone that can fill in some of those gaps, regardless of their race or gender, would be a more valuable addition to the staff than someone that's into all the same things already covered on the site.

vaiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

The only way to ensure complete harmony in the GB community is to hire a Caravella. Or Jeff Green.

Max is what... two or three now? He's ready for the big leagues.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joshwent said:

I reserve my right to call out bullshit and slander where I see it. The negative response to Dan and Jason's hiring was awful, as was the response to that response. But being critical of the later and not the former is just creating a selective truth.

Just call it what it is; a lie.

It isn't exactly fair or reasonable when hundreds or even thousands of Twitter randos gang up on one frustrated writer, just for being disappointed in Giant Bomb.

Twitter is social media. Social. Media. You have no expectation to privacy when you do nothing to secure and protect the shit you put out there. Tweeting is not shouting into the void like some bad dramedy called Garden State. Twitter is you interacting with other people, and if you say something that pisses off thousands of people they're all probably going to have something to say in return. Basically, you're Bruce Willis in Die Hard: With a Vengeance. You're in the middle of a busy street with a sandwich board; think carefully about what you write on it.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

they'd better like wrestling.

Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

To be fair, those writers know they're stirring the hornets nest when they write things like that. It's not their place to be surprised given knowledge of the internet's "quirks"

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

New hire is Paul Ryckert, he's moving to New York to be with Alex and Vinny.

bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#31  Edited By bacongames

@getz said:

To be fair, those writers know they're stirring the hornets nest when they write things like that. It's not their place to be surprised given knowledge of the internet's "quirks"

Actually I would argue it's entirely the opposite. In what way is it fair to get an entire hoard of bullshit, for whatever reason, just because you expressed some disappointment in something. I don't care how flippant or whatever the tone of the original thing was, it's inherently exhausting and uphill and bullshit when the internet machine decides to focus its targets. Context plays a part but only so much to excuse being on the other end of the internet being shitty for whatever reason. So even if we know we can do little to change the current state of things, I think we gain nothing by being passe about it.

Personally I think it will be a much more staid response regardless of who they hire because it's happened once already and in general there's a lot of important stuff that has happened since concerning outrage in video games. We might not avoid the mudfight but we likely won't make the same mistakes again in not getting ahead of it. That much I can hope for.

But yeah it's a hard topic because goddamnit I love this website and there's a lot of great people who do too and they help make this place great. It's a shame to see that whether the jerks are on the periphery or not.

aurahack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really like this thing where some people on the site will watch all the staff's content, follow them on Twitter, interact with them on Tumblr, discuss on the forums, and participate in whatever other site-related activity but as soon as it comes to having confidence and trust in their decision to hire someone, it all goes out the window and some Defcon 2-level of panic is on.

It doesn't matter worrying over this shit. They know what they're doing. You probably wouldn't be here if they didn't?

joshwent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By joshwent

@oldirtybearon said:

Twitter is you interacting with other people, and if you say something that pisses off thousands of people they're all probably going to have something to say in return... You're in the middle of a busy street with a sandwich board; think carefully about what you write on it.

@getz said:

In other words, "People should edit themselves because the masses might give them shit for it"? That seems kind of terrifying.

We have to realize that these attitudes work both ways. (although I use "both" loosely, as no idea only has two ways of looking at it.) But for example, for months, I couldn't calmly and reasonably voice my criticism of Anita's videos without hoards of people instantly calling me a misogynist. And that was just on GB. I don't even use Twitter, but I could imagine the exponentially greater hate thrown at me in a bigger forum like that.

I get the annoyance when a person says a provocative thing, and then complains about why a bunch of people suddenly feel provoked. And even more so when that person's accusations are baseless and offensive. But the responsibility to act like a human being doesn't end when we might be offended.

As I said above, we must call out the bullshit when we see it. But it's that much more imperative to let that bullshit be said, and call it out with respect and rationality.

recroulette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

they'd better like wrestling.

Believe that!
Believe that!

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joshwent said:

In other words, "People should edit themselves because the masses might give them shit for it"? That seems kind of terrifying.

We have to realize that these attitudes work both ways. (although I use "both" loosely, as no idea only has two ways of looking at it.) But for example, for months, I couldn't calmly and reasonably voice my criticism of Anita's videos without hoards of people instantly calling me a misogynist. And that was just on GB. I don't even use Twitter, but I could imagine the exponentially greater hate thrown at me in a bigger forum like that.

I get the annoyance when a person says a provocative thing, and then complains about why a bunch of people suddenly feel provoked. And even more so when that person's accusations are baseless and offensive. But the responsibility to act like a human being doesn't end when we might be offended.

As I said above, we must call out the bullshit when we see it. But it's that much more imperative to let that bullshit be said, and call it out with respect and rationality.

It's the way the world is. It may be the way the world has always been. I'm not an advocate for censorship under any means, and I'm mortified that I gave you that impression. The point I was trying to make was speaking to this idea that you're owed some kind of "privacy" on social media. If you don't want people throwing tomatoes at you, don't say shit in a public forum that'll get tomatoes thrown at you. Do I want it to be this way? No, not really. I'm fine with morons getting on their soapboxes and preaching whatever they want to preach. The only thing that gets under my skin is when said moron complains about the fact that X number of people disagree with them and start throwing out slanderous calls of "misogynist" or "racist" or "bigot" or whichever of the "-phobes" you want to throw in there.

I guess what my overall point is; if you can't take shit, don't sling shit.

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@turboman said:

I just hope it's somebody who is good at what they do.

People get way to wrapped up in this stuff, this is about as much emotional involvement as you'll ever get out of me over who a company chooses to hire.

irrelevantjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

lol

joshwent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The only thing that gets under my skin is when said moron complains about the fact that X number of people disagree with them and start throwing out slanderous calls of "misogynist" or "racist" or "bigot" or whichever of the "-phobes" you want to throw in there.

Well, I can agree with that, at least. And certainly that people bemoaning getting responses to something they said on Twitter, a public forum for responding to people, is incredibly inane.

But I think the OP's (general) point remains that too many use that ability to respond, when they think the original statement was dumb, as license to double the dumb right back at them. Though to be crystal clear, the OP saying "behave", as if sharing any ideas in a form that they would personally object to would be misbehaving, is frightenly closed-minded, and a good example of the stifling mindset we're both talking about.

Basically, I think we agree, and a much better suggestion than the one made in this thread is the simple and lovely rule we post under every day...

don't be a jerk.

armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 17

Be like me. Have no idea wtf is going on and why everyone is angry and then be forced to read about it on wikpedia after a couple of months and still remain confused.

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The_Big_Rough

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Be like me. Have no idea wtf is going on and why everyone is angry and then be forced to read about it on wikpedia after a couple of months and still remain confused.

I am with this dude, I still don't know what the whole GamersGate bullshit is about

etpc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By etpc

god forbid people who never see themselves represented in games media (or games period) are a little upset that Another White Dude Who Likes Wrestling And Fighting Games gets hired when numerous skilled people who could bring something fresh to the table are overlooked

Dan and Jason have both grown on me but I still wish GB didn't feel like a retirement home for white dudes who play games. It's alienating as fuck to a lot of people.

videogames

Slang_N_Bang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_big_rough:

http://dannyodwyer.tumblr.com/post/113887560146/so-in-that-review-of-the-year-episode-of-the-point

armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 17

@etpc: Hey I'm an Indian who's never stepped out of India and I don't feel alienated at all. In fact I find Dan to be the only other funny/interesting person remaining on this website apart from Vinny, without Dan GB would be a lot more boring. Then I'd be disinterested in this website. Plus I can relate to Dan despite all the racial etc differences

So even as a minority or w/e, I vastly prefer a funny personality over a representative of my race (can't really say about gender since I'm male)
Maybe other minorities feel differently, i'm not sure.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

By 'behave' do you really mean 'be browbeaten by idiots into agreeing with their bullshit'? If so, probably not.

The Giant Bomb staff exist in the gross & slightly fascist San Francisco / Twittersphere microcosm and therefore aren't allowed to defend themselves from these kind of allegations. I however do not, and therefore don't give a fuck what they, you or twitter think. If someone comes here to loudly be wrong again --as they did last time-- then I'll tell them so again.

GB hasn't made a good hire since Vinny & Brad, but they can still hire whoever they want.

PrivodOtmenit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By PrivodOtmenit

@the_big_rough said:

@armaan8014 said:

I am with this dude, I still don't know what the whole GamersGate bullshit is about

It's about two factions of people slinging crap at each other while the cool people just roll their eyes at the nonsense that comes from both sides. I looked at it again today because of this thread and I'm amazed the drama is as ferocious as ever.

I'm on board with the people that think Ben Kuchera is gross though.

triplestan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By triplestan

I feel like a lot of the (totally understandable) criticism of Dan and Jason's hiring from certain people was out of a kind of love and respect for Giantbomb as an outlet, and their hope to see more diverse voices represented in a website that is one of the few genuinely influential outlets in the industry. On the flip side, I feel that certain members of this community viewed that criticism as an attack on a website that they know and love from people who hated it to begin with, which ironically led to those people actually starting to dislike Giantbomb due to the sheer amount of shit its community threw at them.

So in general, I agree, though I do think the problems members of this community (or at least those who purported to be) caused people were intrinsically tied to the rise of a certain alliterative "consumer advocacy" group (to put it generously). Either way, I feel like it definitely tarnished the name of this website in a major way and hopefully people have learned from the complete disaster of the last hiring.

Or at least learn to accept criticism of something you love, even if it hurts.

viking_funeral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

Fuck twitter. It's a bitching platform.

Also, bringing attention to the issue only empowers it. Don't feed the trolls. That's internet 101.

Avatar image for saturdaynightspecials
SaturdayNightSpecials

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

Who's to say everyone that reacted badly to the criticism last time was part of the Giant Bomb community?

You don't have to own a Giant Bomb t-shirt or have 10000 wiki points to be a prick on Twitter, I don't think.