Wimbledon!!!!!!

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By get2sammyb

Curiously on Tuesday of this week I went out shopping with my Mum to the supermarket. I sometimes hop along to help push the trolley or carry the bags but y'know - it's GiantBomb time wasted so it's not something I always voluntarily get around to doing. However this Tuesday I was itching to go shopping. It's Wimbledon next week! Robinson's squash is a neccessity.

Spending 15 minutes browsing the vast selection I eventually stumbled upon my squash for this season (although I'm getting through it at a staggering pace so I may need to restock up at some point). I'd already decided to not opt for the traditional orange or lemon. It was a choice between Peach or Strawberry & Kiwi. I opted for the latter.

Delicious.

So anyway, it's Wimbledon next week. No Rafa Nadal leaves the competition wide open to GB's Andy Murray. Given Wimbledon is in the UK, we always go into these competitions thinking "our" player is going to win. It's much like the World Cup when we always believe England are going to win. Anyway - regardless of the hopeful British press I think Murray stands a chance this year, depends how he handles the pressure.

Federer winning the French was a big deal however and you could see how much losing Wimbledon last year hurt him. So I'm sure he'll be just as buoyed to hear the loss of Nadal also.

As for ladies -- I don't really care so long as Ana Ivanovic doesn't get knocked out. For obvious reasons.

Alas - what are your predictions, thoughts, desired Robison's Squash flavours, favourite strawberry accompaniments (i.e. clotted cream, evaporated milk, ice-cream, etc), hats?

WIMBERRRRRRRRRRRRRS! Can't wait.

mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#2  Edited By mracoon

Come on Murray!!! As there's no Nadal this year I think he can make it to the final.

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By get2sammyb
@mracoon: God I know. It's even worse this year because we've got to a point where we have a player who is easily good enough to win it. Our press are already loading on the pressure but he certainly seems like someone who can shrug it off.

Last year the crowd really carried him as far as he could go. But he's a better player now and he has a winning mentality. If he meets Federer in the final I think he can beat him. But playing well throughout the entire competition is a big ask. He can certainly do it though.

I'm nervous just thinking about it.
Ishoturface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By Ishoturface

i dont care about tennis

TheToecutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By TheToecutter

I just can't see Murray being able to beat Federer in a final.

Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By Karmum

Seems like the best place for Federer to get his record breaking 15th Major, and finally taking back the Number One ranking in the World.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

I hate tennis and I hope Murray loses because we'll never hear the end of it. Tennis enthusiasts will keep going on about it forever. They still go on about the last time a brit won it (which was back in the 30's).

RedSox8933

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#8  Edited By RedSox8933

I can't root against Roger, but it would be cool if Murray won.

I'm just happy that Rafa isn't playing.

galacticdonut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

#9  Edited By galacticdonut

Orange Squash is the traditional and clearly the best flavour!

@MattyFTM
Yeah if Murray wins the press are going to do my head in, but saying that I'd like him to do well. I do find it funny how we're so intensly patriotic to be English with things like football and when a Scotsman starts doing well in an individual sport we're all suddenly from the UK again.

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By get2sammyb

So I'm watching British prodigy Laura Robson (she's 15) take on Hantuchova in the first round of the Ladies on Court 2. Robson is giving the senior player a right arse hiding. She's a set up and has just broken serve in the second. Sadly Hantuchova's just broken back. She could easily win this match 2-0 if she stays calm though.

This would be a massive upset. Hantuchova has been a World Number 5. Robson's highest is 482 (I believe) and this is her first ever Grand Slam ever.

She's playing really well. Hopefully she can pull this off.

EDIT: BBC are doing awesome coverage by the way, if you're in USA or whatever. You can stream it all online:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/8096805.stm

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#11  Edited By Linkyshinks

I love my Robinsons in Summer, it really quenches the first like no other drink seems to. It's great for washing down clotted cream and fresh Strawberries also :P

I'm going to see if I can snag some tickets for the second week, sadly my prior LTA involvement means nothing when acquiring tickets. I was a LTA volunteer that helped getting kids into Tennis at Queens Club back in the day.

Andy or Roger ftw. As far as the womens game is concerned, I don't know, but I hope our Junior champion of last year can make significant progess into the latter stages of the tournament. Laura is currently doing OK, but it's tight at one set all.  The "New Court No2", looks great.

EDIT:

She's been broken in the final set :(

Steve_C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By Steve_C

Weird. I'm drinking that variety of Robinson's right now. It's pretty nice isn't it?

I've finished my a-levels now, so i should have enough time to catch a few matches in my free days. Should be some exciting stuff.

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By get2sammyb

Well that's Laura out then. But seriously, give her a few years and she'll be right up there so long as she keeps her head screwed on. She played brilliantly today. At times Hantuchova looked like the junior.

And thank GOODNESS for a female tennis player who doesn't scream everytime she hits the ball.

VWGTI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By VWGTI

I'm pretty excited for Wimbledon this year.

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By get2sammyb

Looks like Sharapova has managed to turn her match around. She looked down and out in that first set but she's turned it around.

Business as usual for Federer.

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By get2sammyb

James Blake is out.