Would you want your school's student grades to be made public?

• 110 results
toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#101  Edited By toowalrus

I went to highschool in New Zealand, and after every test, the teachers would make a point of handing back the tests in order of highest grade to lowest grade. I fuckin' loved it.

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#102  Edited By breadfan

That probably would have helped my grades in high school.

Rohok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#103  Edited By Rohok

I wouldn't have given a shit. I had like D's and C's all through highschool, but that's because I never read the books or did the homework.

Now in college it's the same deal, except I get A's on all the tests and never go, and pass with a B or an A anyway.

Lots of you say you'd love it but could you imagine the emotional and psychological impact this would have on elementary school kids? When I was in elementary and made poor grades I thought it was my fault and felt bad. Even then I was chastised. It wouldn't be right. In highschool I learned I just didn't want to put up with dumb shit. Now I'm actually doing something with my life that isn't just kissing a teacher's ass. Very proud of where I'm headed, not many of my highschool friends who made straight A's can say that. School is pointless, and putting kids in a position where they'll feel inferior over it is wrong.

tunaburn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#104  Edited By tunaburn

@Arestice: very nicely said

Seesic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105  Edited By Seesic

I wouldn't care, in high school I was never motivated so maybe it would have helped me but I can imagine it would stress others. Now that I'm in college I have put time into my grades and classes, and am doing well because of it but I don't tell people unless I'm asked what my grades are and doubt anyone would even care.

Dichemstys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#106  Edited By Dichemstys

Hahaha, I definitely would've minded back in high school.

EdwardHines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wouldn't really care, nor do I think anyone else really would, save for a few crazy parents and students that want to be the best.

I think I would care if they posted online list with grades and anyone could see it. I do not think it is appropriate to do so when random people can type my name online and see my failure.

someoneproud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108  Edited By someoneproud

I take my privacy very seriously so a no from me on principle. I did very well at school and not above a little showing off so maybe I'd share that stuff myself (if anyone gave a shit) but I would be severely pissed off if someone else did it.

EDIT: God damn why don't I ever check how old this stuff is...

Pooch516

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I could totally see that backfiring and discourage kids, especially ones who are already failing/doing bad.

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 17

#112 DarthOrange  Online

@darthorange said:

I wouldn't really care, nor do I think anyone else really would, save for a few crazy parents and students that want to be the best.

I think I would care if they posted online list with grades and anyone could see it. I do not think it is appropriate to do so when random people can type my name online and see my failure.

You bumped this 7 year old thread to remind me that I used to be an asshole? Thanks I guess...

New take from older, wiser DarthOrange who now holds a master's degree and has worked with youth: This would be a horrible, horrible idea that would trigger all sorts of shame and anxiety in students. Like, just plain regular grades already do that. Adding this additional layer of publicity would only exacerbate that, and for what benefit? To shame students into doing better? Shame is not an effective motivator and it causes all sorts of damage to a persons mental health.

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

While we’re bumped, I had a professor who would post grades on the wall outside of his office.

To spare feelings, allow for some privacy, etc., they were posted using the students’ full social security numbers in lieu of names...and sorted alphabetically last,first...

Boneheaded fucking idea...