Wow, I miss my childhood right now

Maxynator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Edited By Maxynator

When Rocko's Modern Life aired, I was between 0-3, but Rocko's Modern Life defines my childhood. Of course I grew up with Pokemon and Medabots, but Nick@Nite gave me access to the world beyond what I saw during the day. The pessimistic creators and producers, the sophisticated humor and the overusing of background graphics gave my life the early 90's twist I needed to become as narcissistic as I could be. Nick@nite featured subtitled shows like RML, Ren and Stimpy, Kablam, Spongebob, Fairly odd Parents and other Nicktoon shows. It taught me English when I was 5, I could speak English before I could write Dutch. And I miss that kind of animation, the animation Family Guy used in the first few seasons, the animation used now like El Tigre just sucks, it's to computerized. 

You just don't see that much animation anymore. Kids are more into live-action shows like Hannah Montana, High School Musical and Icarly. Pushed teen stars, dying out around their 20's. 

Old school animation is making a comeback. Mighty B and Wayside use the formula successfully, and will hopefully spin off more successful animation series.  
You know effort is being put in animation when you can occasionally see blood drops on the paper sheets. It's because they are crying because its so beautiful. 

Maxynator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Maxynator

When Rocko's Modern Life aired, I was between 0-3, but Rocko's Modern Life defines my childhood. Of course I grew up with Pokemon and Medabots, but Nick@Nite gave me access to the world beyond what I saw during the day. The pessimistic creators and producers, the sophisticated humor and the overusing of background graphics gave my life the early 90's twist I needed to become as narcissistic as I could be. Nick@nite featured subtitled shows like RML, Ren and Stimpy, Kablam, Spongebob, Fairly odd Parents and other Nicktoon shows. It taught me English when I was 5, I could speak English before I could write Dutch. And I miss that kind of animation, the animation Family Guy used in the first few seasons, the animation used now like El Tigre just sucks, it's to computerized. 

You just don't see that much animation anymore. Kids are more into live-action shows like Hannah Montana, High School Musical and Icarly. Pushed teen stars, dying out around their 20's. 

Old school animation is making a comeback. Mighty B and Wayside use the formula successfully, and will hopefully spin off more successful animation series.  
You know effort is being put in animation when you can occasionally see blood drops on the paper sheets. It's because they are crying because its so beautiful. 

armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 17

#2  Edited By armaan8014

Yes! My favorites were Dexter's Lab, Courage the cowardly dog, Ed edd and eddy, Johny bravo and Poke`mon. 
You just don't see those kinds of cartoons being made these days.

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By KaosAngel

Pro Tip - Most of them are on Netflix for instant streaming.

LincoIn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By LincoIn

Angry Beavers FTW!

RipTheVeins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By RipTheVeins

Yeah, cartoons used to be something almost anyone, regardless of age, could enjoy like the old Spongebob.  I remember spending some holidays when I was 7 with the entire family watching some Cartoon Network shows before the actual festivities started.  Hell, my brother who was about 16 at the time even started buying DVD's of Powerpuff Girls and Johnny Bravo, both of which may surprise you with how well they've held up to more adult minds.   

TwoLines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By TwoLines

The 80s and 90s cartoons are THE BEST!
I like Japaneese anime from 80s also, Yata Man, Daimos, Tsubasa..
But mainly Western stuff, like He-Man, Duck Tales, Gummi Bears, and Cartoon Cartoons shows.

armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 17

#8  Edited By armaan8014
@dudeglove: Yeah I always liked the idea that those guys were always creating something crazy. It was fun seeing their inventions work (or not)
toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By toowalrus
@dudeglove said:
" @armaan8014 said:
" Yes! My favorites were Dexter's Lab, Courage the cowardly dog, Ed edd and eddy, Johny bravo and Poke`mon.  You just don't see those kinds of cartoons being made these days. "
Really? Someone liked Ed Edd n' Eddy? I could never warm to it.  Dexter's Lab was brilliantly written. Hell, even older members of my family found it hilarious. "

A lot of people did, but even then I thought that shit was stupid... Bud dude, almost everything else on this thread is comedy gold.
Dr_VonBoogie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Dr_VonBoogie
@KaosAngel:  Even better Pro-Tip, you can watch all that stuff and more for free on this website: icefilms.info, great site btw. 
@Maxynator: whats wrong with Flash Animation (El Tigre). I mean sure it looks a bit rough, but there is nothing really wrong. Also as someone who wishes to become a cartoonist, the tear drops you're seeing aren't tears of joy, they are instead, tears of pain and anguish. You have no idea the amount of patience you need if you want to be come an animator.   
MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11  Edited By MysteriousBob
@armaan8014 said:
" Yes! My favorites were Dexter's Lab, Courage the cowardly dog, Ed edd and eddy, Johny bravo and Poke`mon.  You just don't see those kinds of cartoons being made these days. "
Yes. Cartoon Network > Nick
DarkShaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#12  Edited By DarkShaper
@armaan8014 said:
Well Pokemon is still on these days it just sucks now.
JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#13  Edited By JJWeatherman
@LincoIn said:
" Angry Beavers FTW! "
Hell yeah.
shiftymagician

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14  Edited By shiftymagician
@JJWeatherman said:
" @LincoIn said:
" Angry Beavers FTW! "
Hell yeah. "
Goddam I loved that show.
Tiwi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#15  Edited By Tiwi

I learned english at aprox the same time as you, only i learned it through playing adventure games such as monkey island and police quest.
I have some of the same childhood memories as you, though I myself  liked digimon more than pokemon. 

and you're right, the youth today is getting their brains turned into shit

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#16  Edited By natetodamax

Favorite shows: Rocko's Modern Life, Catdog, Angry Beavers, etc. Best era of cartoons.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By iam3green

shows aren't as great as they use to be. now, all directors want are young kids to be in shows. a lot of times kid stars end up having a messed up life when they are older. look at linsey lohan, she started at a young celebrity and when she was like 18 she started having drug and alcohol problems. 

there should be more cartoons that use to be made.

illmatic19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#18  Edited By illmatic19

Medabot's was fucking awesome
MetalGearSunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By MetalGearSunny

Cartoons are pretty crappy now.

meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By meteora
@illmatic19 said:
"
"
Oh dude I fucking loved that show. 

Hell I just about loved every cartoon from the 90s.
Avatar image for manhattan_project
manhattan_project

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tiwi said:
" I learned english at aprox the same time as you, only i learned it through playing adventure games such as monkey island and police quest. I have some of the same childhood memories as you, though I myself  liked digimon more than pokemon.   and you're right, the youth today is getting their brains turned into shit "
YES. FUCKING YES. I also loved the stupid game where you walked around with your Digimon and it sprouted thought bubbles to let you know it was hungry. 

Damn it, now I have the urge to buy a copy off amazon...

Maxynator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Maxynator
@natetodamax:  God, I completely forgot about Catdog, thats the best show that is still airing here
blazerx9x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#23  Edited By blazerx9x

Anyone else remember "what ever happened to robot jones? " and what about "Time Squad"... oh, and "courage the cowardly dog" aww , the old days, I can remember more right now, there`s cow and chicken and big sheep in the city, god damn I miss my childhood

DrGanon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By DrGanon

When I was 6, I stuck a tiny tire up my nose.
Avatar image for tragicallyerock
TragicallyErock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By TragicallyErock

Thinking of old cartoons made me go back & watch some Bionic Six. I'm not usually very nostalgic, but man does that theme-song bring be back!   

Of all my now-adult friends who grew up in that era, it boggles my mind how I seem to be the only person I know who remembers this show....

x_XJules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#26  Edited By x_XJules

Don't forget "Adventure Time"! That cartoon is great!

zanzibarbreeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#27  Edited By zanzibarbreeze

No love for Beast Wars, though I guess it was CG. I was too old and I still watched that.

EDIT: Jesus Christ, that was twelve years ago. SHHHHIIIIIIIIIIII---

FrankCanada97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By FrankCanada97

I loved 90's cartoons, some of them were crammed with adult references so whenever I go back and watch them again as an older person, it's twice as funny. The censors were so relaxed up until that Super Bowl incident.

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

@Maxynator: DID I JUST BLOW YOUR MIND 
dillonwerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By dillonwerner
@illmatic19 said:
"
"
THANK YOU  I'VE BEEN TRYING TO THINK OF THE NAME OF THIS SHOW FOREVER 
and my favorites were probably, Dexter's Lab, Dragonball Z, Pokemon, and Power Puff Girls
floodiastus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#31  Edited By floodiastus

Nostalgia is for Conservatists and they are EVIL!

one_2nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#32  Edited By one_2nd

Top 3: 
1. Hey Arnold 
2. Fairly Odd Parents 
3. Jimmy Neutron.  
No question..

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By penguindust

There are still a couple of good new cartoons broadcast today.  I think Disney's Phineas and Ferb and Cartoon Network's Adventure Time are good enough to stand beside the best from CN & Nick in the 90's.   The upcoming Young Justice looks pretty good, too.  I quite liked the old Justice League & Teen Titans series from the last decade, so seeing this update has me pleased at the potential for this action series. 

Avatar image for bam_d_leprechaun
Bam_D_Leprechaun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Bam_D_Leprechaun

goddamn you kids is young 
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 
Transformers 
Duck Tales 
Tail Spin 
Darkwing Duck 
Thundercats 
Gummi Bears 
Inspector Gadget 
He-Man

Th3_James

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Th3_James

Gonna dl some dexters lab right now 

Avatar image for peepeepoopoo696
peepeepoopoo696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By peepeepoopoo696

I can't believe nobody has mentioned Aaahh!!! Real Monsters. That was an amazing show.

Edit: Rugrats was a good show also.

Maxynator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Maxynator

I used to watch Hey Arnold and Ducktales too, cant seem to dl the latter anywhere though

Avatar image for bam_d_leprechaun
Bam_D_Leprechaun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Bam_D_Leprechaun
@Maxynator said:
" I used to watch Hey Arnold and Ducktales too, cant seem to dl the latter anywhere though "
i actually own all of ducktales, TV rips