Xbox Hard Drive problem

Eidderf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By Eidderf

Hey I know it's probably a lost cause but I thought it was worth a shot asking you guys.

Basically I put in Mass Effect 3 and it started installing the update for the game when the progress bar stopped moving so I pressed b to back out and then the whole xbox froze and I was forced to turn if off (it exited out of the update screen before it crashed, it was just a blank tile with press b at the bottom) Now I've turned it back on my xbox says my hard drive is unformatted.

Is there anyway to recover any of my former xbox save data now or is it gone forever?

Eidderf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Eidderf

Hey I know it's probably a lost cause but I thought it was worth a shot asking you guys.

Basically I put in Mass Effect 3 and it started installing the update for the game when the progress bar stopped moving so I pressed b to back out and then the whole xbox froze and I was forced to turn if off (it exited out of the update screen before it crashed, it was just a blank tile with press b at the bottom) Now I've turned it back on my xbox says my hard drive is unformatted.

Is there anyway to recover any of my former xbox save data now or is it gone forever?

Avatar image for optimusprime223
optimusprime223

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By optimusprime223

I think it is pretty much boned, could try taking drive off, starting xbox and making sure that boots fine, turn it off again, drive back in and boot up. You might get lucky and it figures itself out from that, but if it is saying its not formatted then might be stuffed...

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By AlexW00d

Sounds like you corrupted some data on it. You'll probably have to reformat it.

Lunar_Aura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Lunar_Aura

I'd remove the hard drive, disable the xbox's internet connection, have nothing in the DVD drive, and then turn it back on. If everything is fine, I'd turn it off, replace the hard drive, and turn it back on again. If it works, get a memory card and back up all your files immediately.

If it doesn't work then hey, at least you tried some arbitrary steps to tempt good fate.

louiedog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By louiedog

If you have a 360 S model it should be easy to connect it to your computer. If you have an older fat model you'll have to crack open the hard drive's case. If you do it carefully it will go back together. You'll just need a SATA cable for a desktop or a $5 external SATA 2.5" drive enclosure for a laptop. If your computer recognizes the drive there are tools that let you mess with 360 content. If they recognize the formatting you should be able to extract all of your saves and hopefully put them on a replacement drive, or at least a USB drive while you wait for a replacement.

Eidderf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Eidderf

@louiedog: I have a 360 S and a desktop PC, can you give me an example of the cable I would need to link the hard drive to the PC? (Just to make sure I'm buying the right thing)

alternate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By alternate
Eidderf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

louiedog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By louiedog

That enclosure should work. You can probably get one for even less money. Even cheap ones should be just fine for the occasional file recovery, but if you're not using it every day there's no reason to get a nicer one. I've had a couple of them that cost next to nothing that haven't given me any problems in the many years that I've had them. An enclosure is nice to have around in case you or a friend has a laptop that won't boot and you need to get files off of it.

Of course if you're comfortable opening your PC, and this is simple enough that there's not much you could do wrong, you might be able to just disconnect your optical drive and use that cable, assuming it uses SATA. You won't need that while you try to recover files.

I will suggestthat if you get it all up and running and extract the files onto your computer you should format a flash drive on your 360, plug it into your computer, and then copy the save games to it and test them. I have used some of these tools, but not a ton, and you don't want to go and format your 360 drive, the best copy of those files, until you have to.

Eidderf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Eidderf

@louiedog:Thanks, I ended up getting a SATA to USB cable since it was a bit cheaper in the end and seemed like it would do the same job.

Now I just have to cross my fingers and hope that the data can be recovered.