Xmen Origins: What?

c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By c1337us

So I took my brother to see Xmen Origins: Wolverine last night. I didnt have too much interest going into it, I would have rathered seen something else which I guess my lack of interest helped me be a little pleasently suprised when I found I enjoyed myself somewhat. Seems this Origin series has giving the Xmen some life in old legs as I noticed on the international movie data base that there is a script for Xmen Origins: Magneto but has yet to be giving the green light.

If you got to select any character for there own Origins flick who would you choose?

Avatar image for vitaminwateryum
VitaminWaterYum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By VitaminWaterYum

It'd be a toss up between Dr. Strange and Captain America. The Thor movie coming out sounds like it will turn out pretty good as well.

Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

I was trying to think about a non-X-Men character, but couldn't. I was never a comic guy, but I'd love to see a Cyclops origin movie.

TheKidNixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By TheKidNixon

The green light for the X-Men Origins: Magneto largely depends on the success of Wolverine. Which is kinda insane, when you consider that, well, the people who want to see a Wolverine movie are slightly different from the people who wanna see a Magneto movie.

Anyway, who deserves an Origin movie? I think that an Origin film for Nightcrawler would be interesting. I would also say Gambit, but I'm not entirely stoked with what the movies did with his character. Still, could be interesting, especially if they incorporated Sinister in his background.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#5  Edited By jakob187

The next Origins movie is Magneto, and they will more than likely be making a Gambit and Deadpool movie.

I'm seeing this tomorrow because an old friend of mine wants to go and ogle at Gambit, so I told her I'd tag along...just so I can spit venom all over this travesty of "cinema".
TheKidNixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By TheKidNixon
jakob187 said:

I'm seeing this tomorrow because an old friend of mine wants to go and ogle at Gambit, so I told her I'd tag along...just so I can spit venom all over this travesty of "cinema".
"
As a friend of mine put it: "Maybe this is the beer talking, but that was bad but not nearly as bad as i was expecting." It is a big, dumb, ridiculous action movie with melodrama to spare, but it has a few cool moments and does a few neat things with the Wolverine mythos that I can recall right now seeing before. Still, its a Wolverine movie, and he's a character that no matter how hard they try, is very hard to make much more than a claw-handed action-fueled meatpuppet that is never in any real danger.

Also, I kinda doubt a Deadpool movie would be all the interesting with the direction they went with the character in the movie verse. (Its not bad, persay, but a MAJOR departure; to say any more would be spoilers.) But as a die hard X-fan, I'd probably be there day one anyway.
Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By Black_Rose

The only reason I'm watching this is to see how badly they fuck up Deadpool and then cry my way out of the theather.

RetroIce4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By RetroIce4

BTW... Am the only one that didn't like that movie. The ending was like.. well that was a waste and the scene after the credits... We know that *blank*

Lies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 14

#9  Edited By Lies
Black_Rose said:
"The only reason I'm watching this is to see how badly they fuck up Deadpool and then cry my way out of the theather."
You won't be able to make it out of the theatre you'll be so weak.
c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By c1337us
RetroIce4 said:
"BTW... Am the only one that didn't like that movie. The ending was like.. well that was a waste and the scene after the credits... We know that *blank*"
I wouldnt think so. I went in there expecting not to like it. But there was enough entertainment there for me to walk away not feeling like I had wasted my money. I think it helped me a little where my knowledge of Xmen is pretty vague.
TheKidNixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By TheKidNixon

As far as everyone "liking it": I think the general expectations for it were pretty low. Like, lower than Last Stand low. So when it passed that bar, people had a more positive reaction to it.

Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

TheKidNixon said:
"As far as everyone "liking it": I think the general expectations for it were pretty low. Like, lower than Last Stand low. So when it passed that bar, people had a more positive reaction to it."
I liked the first three films a lot. My only problem with Origins (haven't seen it yet) is that the miscasting of Will.i.am and Ryan Reynolds (I can't look at Reynolds without thinking Van Wilder, and despite his charismatic charm, I still hate that movie...)
suneku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By suneku

I'd want X-Men Origins: Psylocke.

TheKidNixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By TheKidNixon
Everyones_A_Critic said:
"TheKidNixon said:
"As far as everyone "liking it": I think the general expectations for it were pretty low. Like, lower than Last Stand low. So when it passed that bar, people had a more positive reaction to it."
I liked the first three films a lot. My only problem with Origins (haven't seen it yet) is that the miscasting of Will.i.am and Ryan Reynolds (I can't look at Reynolds without thinking Van Wilder, and despite his charismatic charm, I still hate that movie...)"
will.i.am is surprisingly good. Nothing great, but he is far from the worst acting in the movie. Any comments I made about Ryan Reynolds' performance would again go into spoiler territory.
RichardLOlson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#15  Edited By RichardLOlson
suneku said:
"I'd want X-Men Origins: Psylocke."
I noticed that Psylocke was never in any of the x-men movies.  Why is that?  I mean they said they were going to open the door for most of the characters...but no psylocke.  I didn't even see a Jubalie.
c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By c1337us

^ I am not aware of any specific reason behind it. So its probably just a matter of it being over looked, or maybe they didnt think people would care enough about having to bother with it being written in. Unless someone has come out and something specific on the issue I am not sure theres anything to know.

Also I forgot to mention at the start I would have gone with TheKidNixon here and chosen Nightcrawler.

ninjakiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By ninjakiller

They fucking destroy Deadpool I mean DESTROY Deadpool, and Gambit's a fucking joke in the movie.  If you're a comics fan prepare to have all your hopes crushed.   Also Emma Frost.....*shudder* someone's going to hell for making a movie this bad.

Vance_Helsing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#18  Edited By Vance_Helsing

Are we talking "X-Men Origins" or pick any comic book character for them to make an "origins" movie out of?

If from the X-Men universe, my fav characters are Nightcrawler and Gambit. Nightcrawler is awesome, but that wouldn't make for a very entertaining movie unfortunately, then again, neither would a Gambit film. So my answer would be...none of them! Sorry.

But let's say that they wanted to make an "origins" film out of any comic book character. I'd choose Rorschach easily. How f'ing awesome would an "Watchmen Origins: Rorschach" movie be? Super awesome, let me tell you.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#19  Edited By jakob187
TheKidNixon said:
"jakob187 said:

"
As a friend of mine put it: "Maybe this is the beer talking, but that was bad but not nearly as bad as i was expecting." It is a big, dumb, ridiculous action movie with melodrama to spare, but it has a few cool moments and does a few neat things with the Wolverine mythos that I can recall right now seeing before. Still, its a Wolverine movie, and he's a character that no matter how hard they try, is very hard to make much more than a claw-handed action-fueled meatpuppet that is never in any real danger.Also, I kinda doubt a Deadpool movie would be all the interesting with the direction they went with the character in the movie verse. (Its not bad, persay, but a MAJOR departure; to say any more would be spoilers.) But as a die hard X-fan, I'd probably be there day one anyway."
Oh, I'm sure it falls somewhere into that "it's so bad that it's not that bad" category for some people.  Nonetheless, they fucked up FAR too much with the characters for me to care too much more about it.

***SPOILERS***

-- Wolverine is NOT Sabretooth's brother.  N  O  T.
-- Silver Fox is Wolverine's great love?  BULLSHIT!
-- Deadpool is Weapon XI?  BULLSHIT!
-- Adamantium bullet to the back of the skull?  BULLSHIT!!!
-- Weapon XI is ordered to decapitate Wolverine to kill him?  BWAHAHAHA!!!  How about Wolverine killing Death and being allowed to take on Death any time he dies in order to come back from being dead?
-- Does Weapon XI have the Muramasa blade?  No?  Didn't think so.
-- Gambit.  That's all I've gotta say.

In the end, it's not about whether or not the movie is FUN or not.  You are talking about a very VERY hallowed mythology.  I mean, fans waited years upon years upon YEARS for Wolverine's origin stories, ever since we learned about the bone claws in Wolverine 75 from the Fatal Attractions series, and even before that.  The fact that they would seriously SERIOUSLY destroy such a thing is just beyond me.  I know that Hollywood is a large group of absolutely soulless fuckstains...but COME ON!!!

I know that I'll go into that theatre and dread the majority of what I see.  The only thing that might save it for me is the part at the end of the credits, because if I see one of the multiple print endings and it can make me say "FUCK YES"...then I might be okay with the $7.00 I spend.

Let this be a lesson to you, boys and girls:  never agree to take your 27-year-old female friend to see a comic book movie just so she can ogle at her favorite comic book character for the little amount of time he's in the movie (Gambit, FYI).
TheKidNixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By TheKidNixon
^^ You know, I don't normally say this. And this is coming from someone who bought every mainline X-Men comic religiously from Uncanny 300 to about a year ago. So as far as all the things they got "wrong," I know. Trust me.

But you really need to take a step back and take this all a bit less seriously. You're going to blow a gasket over changing details of an imaginary world for the film version of a comic book universe? And then act like the comic book universe is some great piece of literary canon? Its all nonsense. Wolverine is a chain-smoking, claws-in-hands bad-ass who's "the best at what he does."

I don't know. Maybe I'm the same soulless asshole. I just kinda cringed when you use the word "hallowed" to describe Wolverine's mythos. And if you don't like this interpretation of the character, that's one thing. That's your choice. But please, please don't act like the producers of the film did some grave injustice to high art. These weren't ignorant decisions made out of malice; they were re-interpretations for the sake of telling the story they best fit the vision they had.

Comics aren't history. They're a momentary distraction from your otherwise mundane life, filled with bright colors, violence and tits. Romanticizing them as much else is kinda embarrassing.

Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 8

#21  Edited By Black_Rose
RichardLOlson said:
"suneku said:
I noticed that Psylocke was never in any of the x-men movies.  Why is that?  I mean they said they were going to open the door for most of the characters...but no psylocke.  I didn't even see a Jubalie."
I remember watching a "Psylocke" in the credits for X3, and Jubilee was one of the little girls captured in X2.
Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#22  Edited By Hailinel
jakob187 said:
"TheKidNixon said:
"jakob187 said:

"
As a friend of mine put it: "Maybe this is the beer talking, but that was bad but not nearly as bad as i was expecting." It is a big, dumb, ridiculous action movie with melodrama to spare, but it has a few cool moments and does a few neat things with the Wolverine mythos that I can recall right now seeing before. Still, its a Wolverine movie, and he's a character that no matter how hard they try, is very hard to make much more than a claw-handed action-fueled meatpuppet that is never in any real danger.Also, I kinda doubt a Deadpool movie would be all the interesting with the direction they went with the character in the movie verse. (Its not bad, persay, but a MAJOR departure; to say any more would be spoilers.) But as a die hard X-fan, I'd probably be there day one anyway."
Oh, I'm sure it falls somewhere into that "it's so bad that it's not that bad" category for some people.  Nonetheless, they fucked up FAR too much with the characters for me to care too much more about it.

***SPOILERS***

-- Wolverine is NOT Sabretooth's brother.  N  O  T.
-- Silver Fox is Wolverine's great love?  BULLSHIT!
-- Deadpool is Weapon XI?  BULLSHIT!
-- Adamantium bullet to the back of the skull?  BULLSHIT!!!
-- Weapon XI is ordered to decapitate Wolverine to kill him?  BWAHAHAHA!!!  How about Wolverine killing Death and being allowed to take on Death any time he dies in order to come back from being dead?
-- Does Weapon XI have the Muramasa blade?  No?  Didn't think so.
-- Gambit.  That's all I've gotta say.

In the end, it's not about whether or not the movie is FUN or not.  You are talking about a very VERY hallowed mythology.  I mean, fans waited years upon years upon YEARS for Wolverine's origin stories, ever since we learned about the bone claws in Wolverine 75 from the Fatal Attractions series, and even before that.  The fact that they would seriously SERIOUSLY destroy such a thing is just beyond me.  I know that Hollywood is a large group of absolutely soulless fuckstains...but COME ON!!!

I know that I'll go into that theatre and dread the majority of what I see.  The only thing that might save it for me is the part at the end of the credits, because if I see one of the multiple print endings and it can make me say "FUCK YES"...then I might be okay with the $7.00 I spend.

Let this be a lesson to you, boys and girls:  never agree to take your 27-year-old female friend to see a comic book movie just so she can ogle at her favorite comic book character for the little amount of time he's in the movie (Gambit, FYI).
"
Dude, if you want it to be just like the comics, just read the comics.  Adaptation have no obligation to stay religiously close to the original source material.
c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By c1337us
TheKidNixon said:
"^^ You know, I don't normally say this. And this is coming from someone who bought every mainline X-Men comic religiously from Uncanny 300 to about a year ago. So as far as all the things they got "wrong," I know. Trust me.But you really need to take a step back and take this all a bit less seriously. You're going to blow a gasket over changing details of an imaginary world for the film version of a comic book universe? And then act like the comic book universe is some great piece of literary canon? Its all nonsense. Wolverine is a chain-smoking, claws-in-hands bad-ass who's "the best at what he does."I don't know. Maybe I'm the same soulless asshole. I just kinda cringed when you use the word "hallowed" to describe Wolverine's mythos. And if you don't like this interpretation of the character, that's one thing. That's your choice. But please, please don't act like the producers of the film did some grave injustice to high art. These weren't ignorant decisions made out of malice; they were re-interpretations for the sake of telling the story they best fit the vision they had. Comics aren't history. They're a momentary distraction from your otherwise mundane life, filled with bright colors, violence and tits. Romanticizing them as much else is kinda embarrassing."
I agree. Sort of. I mean generally I like to take the maintain the "spirit" but keep it entertaining and nothing is sacred apporach. But then I remember 1985 when the live action He-man came out and technology of the time couldnt support an Orco character so they introduced that little dwarf-midget-douche Gwildor whatever the fuck that goblin creature was. And then there were the "masters" that replaced such great villians like Trap Jaw, Merman, Tri-Klops among others. I would say at least there was Evil Lynn but WTF!

So I can understand why fans of something like Xmen that has a long history get upset when they make large departures from characters and plot.
c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By c1337us

^ Actually even if they fixed all that, that movie would have still been horrendously bad. But you get the point.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#25  Edited By penguindust
suneku said:
That'd me my number one choice, too.  And even though I completely prefer her British self over the ninja version, it might make for a better movie if they were to use both versions in the movie.  Perhaps two different actresses could play her.  Start with Keira Knightley and then move to Crystal Lui (Forbidden Kingdom) to play her after the transformation. 
suneku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By suneku
RichardLOlson said:
"suneku said:
I noticed that Psylocke was never in any of the x-men movies.  Why is that?  I mean they said they were going to open the door for most of the characters...but no psylocke.  I didn't even see a Jubalie."
Jubilee was in X-2. There's a deleted scene where she displays a bit of her powers. The asian chick in X3 was speculated to be Psylocke, but in the DVD commentaries they say it's not. She sort of did a shadowmeld near the end... but there weren't any shadows around her so it didn't make sense.

PenguinDust said:
"suneku said:
That'd me my number one choice, too.  And even though I completely prefer her British self over the ninja version, it might make for a better movie if they were to use both versions in the movie.  Perhaps two different actresses could play her.  Start with Keira Knightley and then move to Crystal Lui (Forbidden Kingdom) to play her after the transformation.
That'd be cool. I prefer her asian body but with a sexy british accent. I'm kind of sad in the latest Uncanny X-Men they transferred her back to her original British body. Hopefully it's only temporary as it looks like she lost her powers in the process.
gearhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#27  Edited By gearhead

I think Gambit is my faviorte X Men character, and I thought he was highlighted pretty well. 

I thought there were parts in the movie that were bad, but overall better than X Men 3. 
TheKidNixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By TheKidNixon

Jubilee was also in X-Men 1, but as a background character who was mostly deleted and with a different actress. I think she might actually be in the background of Last Stand too, as yet ANOTHER actress, but don't quote me on that. Either way, she'll probably be a character in First Class. And hell, probably will be played by someone else. Again.