Your Anime Film Recommendations

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

#1  Edited By liquiddragon

Hey I'm itching for great anime movies to watch. I just can't commit to TV series plus I'm trying to get through one right now.

little about what i've seen:

• every Ghibli Studio films
  • every Satoshi Kon (perfect blue, millennium actress, etc)
  • every Makoto Shinkai (5 centimeter, the place promised, etc)
  • every Mamoru Hosoda (the girl who leapt, wolf children, etc)
  • the big ones (Luptin the 3rd, Ghost in the Shell, Memories, Akira, Ninja Scroll)

Thanks.

Edit: based on suggestions from you, i've seen:

• Redline (kick-ass/5)
  • Mind Game (whoa, brilliant/5)
  • Cat Soup (really really cool/5)
  • Little Witch Academia (fun sorta disposable entertainment/5)
  • Death-Billiards (really dope/5)
  • Angel's Egg (they don't make 'em like that any more or ever/5)
  • Patema Inverted (kinda good, kinda bad, sorta neat but dumb/5)
  • Jin-Roh (shit was amazing/5)

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Watching every Lupin III film seems like quite the time investment as well.

emfromthesea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Redline. The animation is incredible.

redyoshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Was going to rec Summer Wars, but you mentioned Hosoda.

Have you watched Redline yet? If you haven't watched Redline, you should probably go and watch Redline.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

mwng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By mwng

The abridged Gunbuster/Diebuster films (the OVAs are better, but the films are perfectly watchable if you don't want to go episodic).

Redline as mentioned above. Jin-roh if you're after something mad depressing. Or the Patlabor movies if you're not.

Edit: Patema Inverted/Time of Eve are pretty happy films too.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

Tekkonkinkreet, Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust, Sword of the Stranger, Redline, Metropolis, X.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mwng: thanks, i'll take a look. do you like mechs?

@theht: Metropolis i would put as one of the big ones. Tekkonkinkreet is dope. The other ones I should see, thanks.

tildebees

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

end of evangelion and the rebuilds of evangelion are my favorite anime films but I suggest watching the series first if you haven't.

also the madoka movies are pretty good I think

mwng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@liquiddragon said:

@mwng: thanks, i'll take a look. do you like mechs?

Giant ass robots only make things better as far as I'm concerned.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By liquiddragon

@tildebees: I've always been confused about the Evangelion movies. I thought they were condensed/retelling of the ending of the show. what is the deal? is it new content? I think it's a neat series but I'm not completely in love with it. Should I still watch it? I've heard of Madoka, I'll see what's up, thanks.

@mwng: can't argue with that logic

Avatar image for viciousbearmauling
ViciousBearMauling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@liquiddragon: The Evangelion Rebuild films are a re-imagining of the show. It has 3 out right now with a 4th coming out later. The first is a pretty faithful recreation of events in the show, 2 kinda skirts the line of being it's own thing and clinging to the original series, and 3 goes all on it's own with new content and is really kinda cool.

The original series along with The End of Evangelion is better in my opinion though.

Anyway, with my shameless plug out of the way, Sword of the Stranger is a really fun movie with likable characters and amazing choreography. I think it's really worth a watch. (Had to sneak in another plug, sorry)

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well...shit...most of the good stuff has been listed. Hmmm, well I guess I'd probably add Macross - Do You Remember Love? and the Macross Frontier films

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

Five Centimeters Per Second, I guess.

tuxfool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sky Crawlers by Mamoru Oshii

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@viciousbearmauling: So definitely watch end of evangelion? watch the other ones if I want more evangelion right? 2 votes for sword of the stranger, thanks.

@babychoochoo: thanks i'll take a look.

@believer258: I have it written up top. sooo moving.

@tuxfool: i was super disappointed. thanks anyway.

Naoiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lupin the 3rd is a good way to go (the one about the clock tower was amazing). I also enjoyed the new CG/Animeish Captain Harlock movie (its on netflix). A good anime to check out also even though it isn't a movie would be Spice and Wolf. It's a really, really good one.

Hamst3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

I'll try to not repeat anything already mentioned in the thread:

Mind Game, Little Witch Academia (It's a short), Patema Inverted, Golgo 13: The Professional, Dead Leaves.

Aaaaaand, a few I haven't seen, but plan on watching soon because I've heard good things about them:

Sky Blue, Night on the Galactic Railroad, Oseam, Kara no Kyoukai: The Garden of Sinners Movie 1, Colorful, Into the Forest of Fireflies' Light, and Death Billiards (another short).

redyoshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hamst3r said:

Aaaaaand, a few I haven't seen, but plan on watching soon because I've heard good things about them:

Kara no Kyoukai: The Garden of Sinners Movie 1

I can vouch for this one, personally. It can be a bit slow to pick up, but the fight sequences throughout the Kara no Kyoukai movies are really good and the soundtrack is superb.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#20  Edited By Corevi
@liquiddragon said:

I've heard of Madoka, I'll see what's up, thanks.

Watch the series instead of the first two movies. The series is only 12 episodes (around 4 hours total) and the first 2 movies are just a retelling of that. The third one is an original story though I haven't seen it yet so I can't vouch for it's quality.

I highly recommend the two modern Appleseed movies if you haven't seen them. The first one is a genuinely great cyberpunk movie and the second one is the craziest action movie John Woo has ever made.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

One Piece movies 6, 10 and 11. Also Afro Samurai 1 and 2.

EdgeKasey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I will also recommend Madoka.

Mechanical_Ape

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A lot of good ones have already been suggested. I also like Aura - Maryuuinkouga Saigo no Tatakai (The Final Battle of Maryuin Koga). It's pretty depressing though, so I wouldn't watch it unless you're in the mood for something like that.

chatmonchies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

+1 Kara no Kyokai series, Tekkon Kinkreet

I'd pass on the Evangelion rebuilds. They could be fun if you haven't seen (or never plan to see) the original series though.

pantzing_nome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I saw Trigun Badlands Rumble a few weeks ago and really enjoyed and I'm not sure if this is what your looking for but Waltz With Bashir is my favorite documentary, it's about the war in Lebanon.

Loading Video...

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I second Tekkonkinkreet [trailer]. Doesn't always make a hell of a lot of sense, but oh so enjoyable to watch.

Wings of Honneamise [trailer] has gotten a lot of good mentions around these boards lately and I find that gratifying since it's been among my most favorites for two decades now.

Macross: Do You Remember Love? [movie] is another classic that distills the 36 episode series into about two hours. Obviously, a lot is left out but all the high points are there and it's another that's just a lot of fun. The final battle song is an anime mainstay at this point.

Finally, Sword of the Stranger [trailer]. This one is great for good old fashioned sword action. The story and animation are noteworthy even by modern standards, so it's definitely worth a look-see.

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Glad someone got to Macross before me, any of those movies are good. If you are looking for more depressing things you can go for Grave of the Fireflies. Also are you sure you saw every Ghibli film? Seen The Wind Rises yet? It just came out in 2013. Ghost in the Shell Sold State Society is pretty decent too, even if it is similar to the original Ghost in the Shell movie. Really the best anime isn't the movies though it is the series.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By liquiddragon

@naoiko: which one is the one with the clock tower? I've only seen the castle of cagliostro. i'll check the other one thx.

@hamst3r: damn that's a lot, thanks. heard of mind game many times. definitely have to see that one.

@corevi: i saw appleseed ex machina when it came out and remember not thinking too highly of it. i want to see the first one tho.

@liquidprince: I've only seen the first season (50-some episodes) so i don't think i can fully appriecate the annual one piece features. the afro samurai movies, do i have to see the series first?

@mechanical_ape: that one hasnt been suggested thanks. i like depressing movies. right up my alley.

@chatmonchies: that's a few votes for kara no kyokai. i must see it. tekkonkinkreet i saw. quite entertaining.

@pantzing_nome: trigun badlands i wish i saw before i finished the series. timeline is a major problem with the movies based on tv series. waltz with bashir isn't anime but beautifully animated and visceral cinema. maybe you'd like the act of killing?

@penguindust: Tekkonkinkreet i quite enjoyed. Wings of Honneamise hasnt been suggested, thanks. the other 2 i must see they got a few votes.

@karkarov: damn Macross seems like a major blind spot on my part. several ppl have suggested it. Grave of the Fireflies is early studio ghibli and a bona fide classic. Wind Rises I saw in theaters. very moving, quite emotional. I've seen Princess Kaguya too. almost chilling. Ghost in the Shell: SSS i might have to hold off on cause i haven't seen the 2nd season of Stand Alone Complex.

@redyoshi: @sunbrozak: just saw redline. really kick ass.

Shortbreadtom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@liquiddragon: Yeah Redline's kick-ass! Mother fucker skims his car on a lake like a stone!

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shortbreadtom: haha that was sick. the movie made me really want a new f-zero

Patchcoat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I know a lot of people didn't particularly care for it, but I rather enjoyed Katsuhiro Otomo's Steamboy. If anything, the soundtrack really stood out to me:

Loading Video...

Still worth a watch I'd say.

VierasTalo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Angel's Egg is some impressive stuff. Highly recommended.

Loading Video...

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By liquiddragon

@patchcoat: I saw it awhile ago and enjoyed it myself, particularly the first half.

@vierastalo: looks cool, i'll check it out. thanks.

MeMonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By MeMonk

Every Satoshi Kon movie: Perfect Blue, Millennium Actress, and Paprika. Others include Jin Roh, Akira, Sword of the Stranger, Armitage dual matrix and the Cowboy Bebop movie . If you have never seen Grave of the Fireflies do so but be prepared to cry.

Loading Video...

Edit just read your Opening but I will leave the trailer up for anyone else that has not seen any Satoshi Kon.

Avatar image for lemmycaution217
Lemmycaution217

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#35  Edited By Lemmycaution217

I would also have to recommend Angel's Egg. It is by far one of my favorite animated films.

Also Mind Game because Masaaki Yuasa is awesome.

Cat Soup is also a really trippy short film that I highly recommend.

Mirado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Mirado

Redline.

No Caption Provided

Absoutely, 100%, Redline.

No Caption Provided

The images speak for themselves, but it looks even better in motion. You've gotta see Redline.

Avatar image for viciousbearmauling
ViciousBearMauling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hamst3r: Oh god yes Little Witch Academia!!! The most enjoyable 26 minutes ever.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@liquiddragon: One Piece movie 6 and 10 are perfectly good stand alone movies, but 11 might require a bit more back story. As for Afro Samurai, there is no series. Afro Samurai was just two movies. The first movie was broken up into five single episodes in some regions, but can also be viewed in movie form. The second movie was just released in movie form every where.

Zalrus9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is more of an OVA, but Macross Plus is really good. Mecha Top Gun directed by the guy who did Cowboy Bebop and music by Yoko Kanno? What's not to love?

Sergio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#40  Edited By Sergio

The Garden of Words.

Loading Video...

Edit: Ah, you should have already seen it if you saw every Makoto Shinkai.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rudeboy217: I think i'll see mind game and angel's egg next based on what i'm feeling atm. cat soup looks cool, thanks.

@liquidprince: ok sweet, i'll get around to those.

@zalrus9: thanks, sounds good.

@sergio: yup, saw it in the summer. wish it was longer but what's there is very good tho.

azrailx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

sword of the stranger is a great action flick with a strong stroy

Naoiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The castle one is the one w/ the clock tower in it as it turns out. =) Just went and checked out the name.

ikilledthedj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What's the one that they wer talking about a few podcasts back with "the dudes from kill zone" gen row or something?

Sergio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

What's the one that they wer talking about a few podcasts back with "the dudes from kill zone" gen row or something?

Jin-Roh?

ikilledthedj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just watched The Wind Rises and loved it.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@naoiko: oh yeah it's awesome. that's the one directed by miyazaki and super highly regarded.

tuxfool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By tuxfool

@liquiddragon I also recommend Patema Inverted. It isn't particularly meaty, but it does have an interesting premise.