Your future in gaming?

The_Tolman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By The_Tolman

Next year i will be moving away to  New York City for college and except for a majority of the college bill, I will be paying all of my other bills. Thinking about this worries me a bit because, though i work 30 hour weeks now, between work and school i will more than likely not have time for video games. I feel like that may be the time to throw in the towel on video games, maybe not in whole but greatly reduce the hours i play largely because i dont even think i could afford a tv.  
So my question to you is, do you fear that in the future you too will have to give up this great hobby? 

mesklinite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By mesklinite

Naaa video games are part of my lifestyle. Never! NEVER!

KarlPilkington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#3  Edited By KarlPilkington

Doing a uni course in game software development, so probably not. Unless I get a job in the industry and grow to loathe them.

blackbird415

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By blackbird415

yeah, I end up going off and on playing games being in college. Sometimes you just wish there was more time 

zepp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By zepp

I'm in college right now and I don't really have time to play games. On the weekends when I do have some spare time, I prefer to spend it with friends. I miss gaming though, especially when all the podcast's I listen to are raving about the latest game. You just gotta figure out what's most important to you in your life right now. Gaming for me right now is kind of at the end of the line, as far as priorities go.

paradox121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By paradox121

Im kinda in the same position. It is quite sad. But I think I can spare the cash for the odd game every so often. And if not, Im not leaving the house over Christmas/Easter.

The_Tolman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By The_Tolman

Yeah it kinda sucks. But i guess i have to make compromises so that i don't get fucked  when i'm 30.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fb7c57ae2335
deactivated-5fb7c57ae2335

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@ProjectMayhem said:

" Yeah it kinda sucks. But i guess i have to make compromises so that i don't get fucked  when i'm 30. "

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

I love games and I'll always manage to find time for them but my first year of university did rather greatly reduce the hours I had to game in and the work is supposed to get a lot heavier further into the course. Ironically my course is in computer games programming.

nail1080

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By nail1080

Trust me, you'll play more games than ever in uni. Especially in first year, I just never studied and crammed before all my exams and did well

TheJohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By TheJohn

Don't worry, duder. You'll find the time.

Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

My interest in games has really taken a hit in the past two years or so, but I still play a couple times a week (I'm a college student living at home). Once Black Ops comes out I'll go back to my routine of "Go to school, slam the backpack down, play xbox until I fall asleep" that I had with Modern Warfare 2.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ryanwho

Episodes instead of full iterations. By which I mean, compact snacks that come out regularly. We have games that work like movies, there's no reason there shouldn't be games that work like TV shows. Procedural and such. Seasons and such. For whatever reason, Telltale is the only company that did it and they make comedy adventures. Most good TV right now is hard drama. Games could develop some kind of equivalent. You just need writers that don't suck, aka not game writers, to pop into the field. Then you have shows like 24 which are practically videogames in movie form. There's no reason a 24 episode action game series couldn't exist.

The_Tolman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By The_Tolman
@ryanwho said:
" Episodes instead of full iterations. By which I mean, compact snacks that come out regularly. We have games that work like movies, there's no reason there shouldn't be games that work like TV shows. Procedural and such. Seasons and such. For whatever reason, Telltale is the only company that did it and they make comedy adventures. Most good TV right now is hard drama. Games could develop some kind of equivalent. You just need writers that don't suck, aka not game writers, to pop into the field. Then you have shows like 24 which are practically videogames in movie form. There's no reason a 24 episode action game series couldn't exist. "
um
iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By iam3green

i can still see myself playing video games. i'm in college and i have plenty of time to play video games. on the weekends i go to my friend's house and play video games with each other. it is kind of like a mini lan party. me and him both play modern warfare 2 together and he has other friend's playing also.

CowMuffins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By CowMuffins
@ryanwho: What the heck are you on about?
JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#17  Edited By JJWeatherman

Never.

DeShawn2ks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By DeShawn2ks
@ProjectMayhem:  NEVER!!! I will be the gaming king and all will tremble before me.
kelbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By kelbear
@ProjectMayhem: 

For the near future, almost certainly. I'm in a 2-month idle period between finishing my MBA and starting my new job, but with a pregnant wife, 30-35 hours of studying a week for CPA, and work I'll be pretty slammed. Especially during the 60+ hour a week busy season from Jan-March. Between family, work, and study I'm almost certainly going to short-change some of them unintentionally, I would be a fool to try to keep gaming once all 3 are in full swing. If all things go as planned I should finish the CPA exams before november of next year and I can concentrate on just work and the baby. Until then, I'm going to be busy as hell.

But games don't have expiration dates. You get to find out which ones suck and which ones deserve to be played as they're vetted by public opinion. Plus they are probably available at discounted prices by then. 

I'll still be able to listen to GB on the bus/train though!