YouTube is confusing. Shock!

Deusoma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By Deusoma

Random-ass question, if anyone knows more than me about how YouTube works. 

I've been making Let's Play videos for a while now (though the video I made of the Jonathan Frakes/Multimedia Poker incident has twice the views of my most popular LP video :B), and the other day I went to the upload screen and was greeted with this message:

"Congratulations! Your account is now enabled for uploads longer than 15 minutes. Click the Upload button below to select a video."

So I think that's great, but it never actually told me what the new limit is. 20 minutes? 30? Infinity? The guide on the page still says 15 minutes or less and 2GB or less. 

Now, if I were, say, Hamst3r, this would not be an issue, given his kung-fu with video editing, but my abilities are far more primitive than his, so if I made a video that turned out to be too long, getting it down to size would be a major pain in the ass.  

So can anybody fill in YouTube's blank here? :P

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Geno

I think you have no restriction (except for size, but last I heard they had a separate upload client for files larger than 2GB). 

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By iam3green

i don't know but nice to hear that. i don't upload anything to youtube.

Avatar image for captain_clayman
captain_clayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By captain_clayman

how do you get to upload videos longer than 15 minutes anyways?

vaiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#5  Edited By vaiz

They don't tell you a time limit because there isn't one. Just as long as the video is under 2 gigs.

Deusoma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Deusoma
@captain_clayman: You used to be able to apply for a "director's account", which let you upload videos of unlimited length, but as for this, I have no idea, honestly. It just showed up without explanation. Maybe it's because I uploaded a large number of videos, or maybe it's because one of my videos reached a certain level of popularity (the front page has an offer to make money somehow from the Jonathan Frakes video, but that seems remarkably suspicious to me), or hey, maybe they picked my username out of a hat. :P
JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#7  Edited By JJWeatherman

I had a Torchlight video up that had like a hundred thousand views. I never got a message.  :*(

mrfizzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By mrfizzy
@Deusoma: hey duder, no idea about the upload limits etc, just thought id let you know, if you want to try some editing get a program called VideoSpin, theres a free version and a paid version but there is little difference between the 2 if you just want it for basic video editing. Also, whats your youtube channel? 
spacetrucking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By spacetrucking
@Deusoma: The only remaining limit is size, which I believe is still 2 GB. You video could be 15 hours long, if it is still under 2GB. If you wanna know why, check http://youtube-global.blogspot.com/2010/12/up-up-and-away-long-videos-for-more.html 

Your creativity isn’t bound by a time limit, so why should your video uploads be? Back in July we raised the upload limit to 15 minutes for all users. Starting today, we’ll begin allowing selected users with a history of complying with the YouTube Community Guidelines and our copyright rules to upload videos that are longer than 15 minutes.

So go find that movie you wrote and filmed last year and share it with the world! Or upload your son’s championship high school basketball game or the insightful lecture you just gave on the emerging economics of green tech. As long as it’s your original content, it’s fair game regardless of length.

This launch has been made possible in part by the continued advances in our state-of-the-art Content ID system, as well as our other powerful tools for copyright owners. Over 1000 global partners use Content ID to manage their content on YouTube, including every major U.S. movie studio and music label. We remain as dedicated as ever to building and improving the most sophisticated technology in the world to help copyright owners protect their rights. 

Just click the “Upload” button at the top of the site to see if your account qualifies. And remember, if you’re uploading a video that was previously rejected for being too long, go into “My Videos” and delete the old video before uploading it again.     

Deusoma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Deusoma
@mrfizzy: Thanks for the advice, maybe I'll check VideoSpin out. 

And I go by BurningDogFace on YouTube (it's a Burnt Face Man reference), you can find my channel here, thanks for asking. :)