YouTube Rant

Mushir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

Edited By Mushir

If you're like me then you probably go to YouTube each and every day. But since around 2008, YouTube has been going downhill, fast.

Layout

In 2006 the YouTube layout, in my opinion, was perfect. But now they are constantly changing their layout. It feels like they're changing it once every month. This is very irritating, because just when you're starting to get used to the current layout, a new one pops up and everything is rearranged. Unfortunately the newer layouts aren't a big improvement either. They usually get more complicated.

Most Viewed

If you click on the Video section on YouTube's front page, you get directed to the Most Viewed page, at-least it was like that last time I checked. The thumbnails here are filled with women with big breasts. Or its a new video by Fred or Smosh. To get up on that list you need to get over 60,000 views in under 48 hours. That is nearly impossible unless you're one of the top subscribed of all time. So getting recognized by the YouTube community today is incredibly hard, unless your a women with big breasts.

Featured Videos

I remember back in the days that the featured videos were actually good. Now they are just boring, tasteless stuff. Now, once in a while you're gonna find a good video on there, but not nearly as much as before.

Copyright stuff

If you don't live in the US then Im sure you've seen this message before "This Video Is Not Available In Your Country". That is bullshit. If I wanna watch a video I should be able to watch it, no matter where I live. And no I don't care about Copyright laws right here, you know why? Because this whole damn site was built off of videos that had copyrighted material. The Pokemon Theme song video by Smosh and Evolution Of Dance. If these kind of videos weren't made, then YouTube wouldn't be where it is now.

That's all I can get myself to write right now. There are more problems with YouTube that need to be fixed. And not EVERYTHING is bad. The new HD feature is really sweet. But Im disliking YouTube more and more as each day passes.

If you even bothered to read all of that, I'll be interested to hear your thoughts. Do you agree or disagree?
Mushir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Mushir

If you're like me then you probably go to YouTube each and every day. But since around 2008, YouTube has been going downhill, fast.

Layout

In 2006 the YouTube layout, in my opinion, was perfect. But now they are constantly changing their layout. It feels like they're changing it once every month. This is very irritating, because just when you're starting to get used to the current layout, a new one pops up and everything is rearranged. Unfortunately the newer layouts aren't a big improvement either. They usually get more complicated.

Most Viewed

If you click on the Video section on YouTube's front page, you get directed to the Most Viewed page, at-least it was like that last time I checked. The thumbnails here are filled with women with big breasts. Or its a new video by Fred or Smosh. To get up on that list you need to get over 60,000 views in under 48 hours. That is nearly impossible unless you're one of the top subscribed of all time. So getting recognized by the YouTube community today is incredibly hard, unless your a women with big breasts.

Featured Videos

I remember back in the days that the featured videos were actually good. Now they are just boring, tasteless stuff. Now, once in a while you're gonna find a good video on there, but not nearly as much as before.

Copyright stuff

If you don't live in the US then Im sure you've seen this message before "This Video Is Not Available In Your Country". That is bullshit. If I wanna watch a video I should be able to watch it, no matter where I live. And no I don't care about Copyright laws right here, you know why? Because this whole damn site was built off of videos that had copyrighted material. The Pokemon Theme song video by Smosh and Evolution Of Dance. If these kind of videos weren't made, then YouTube wouldn't be where it is now.

That's all I can get myself to write right now. There are more problems with YouTube that need to be fixed. And not EVERYTHING is bad. The new HD feature is really sweet. But Im disliking YouTube more and more as each day passes.

If you even bothered to read all of that, I'll be interested to hear your thoughts. Do you agree or disagree?
Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 17

#2  Edited By Tireyo

I think alot of people have noticed what has been going on with Youtube.  Nothing really we can do about it, but at least we were able to enjoy some of the videos before they were taken off. :)

lemon360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3  Edited By lemon360

Dude i TOTALLY agree with you. I miss Youtube's old layout, and all i see are the already popular channels on the main pages. Oh and this will be a shocker: soon YT will redesign the site to become more Hulu like. There will be a music, tv, and movies buttons on the top, with a tiny little community videos button on the main page :P

Mushir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Mushir
lemon360 said:
"Dude i TOTALLY agree with you. I miss Youtube's old layout, and all i see are the already popular channels on the main pages. Oh and this will be a shocker: soon YT will redesign the site to become more Hulu like. There will be a music, tv, and movies buttons on the top, with a tiny little community videos button on the main page :P"
I hope you're just making that up.
rinkalicous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By rinkalicous

I don't see the problem with the layout, but if YT continues to go down this road of becoming like Hulu (and, to be honest, if it makes them more money, how can we blame them) THAT'S when i'm going to start seeing problems. Especially the region filtering stuff.

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#6  Edited By Geno

I agree with most of your points, but youtube has also improved in many areas since 2006. HD, HQ, Widescreen, faster load times, more playlist features and a whole slew of new talented channels, both small and large. I probably wouldn't trade it back.

MetalGearSunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7  Edited By MetalGearSunny

I 100% agree with you especially with the copyright issue.

ParanoidFreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By ParanoidFreak

I think the golden age of Youtube is over, it's all down hill from here.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By natetodamax

Dude, yes. I totally agree with everything. Youtube just sucks now, especially with the crappy layout and stupid people like Fred and Smosh who's video's aren't anywhere near funny.

halberdierv2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#10  Edited By halberdierv2

I agree mosttly, except for the copyright stuff, if it's not supposed to be viewed outside a country, its not going to be. i understand what you feel, im outside of the US, and I get my ability to watch certain music videos cut.
the top videos is pretty much impossible to get, so that's not it the mind of most account holders.
the featured videos have lost their quality a lot, so yea, it sucks... but then eagain, i hardly ever see anything that's in my genre of interest, so it makes little difference to me.
the layout changes are ANNOYING.... this is like facebook on a caffeine buzz.

but, i love HD and widescreen. that makes up for its problems easily.

FlipperDesert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By FlipperDesert

There's nothing quite as annoying as finding a video you were linked to is blocked-off to your country. I'm fast running out of reasons to keep going to YouTube, if Retsupurae's banned like they say they're about to be I'm probably not gonna have a use for it anymore.

JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By JoelTGM

Yes, youtube sucks.  I still have to use it because it's like the main place for video sharing, and I'm subscribed to some people there so that's my only reason to go there.

FoolInjection

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By FoolInjection

I actually agree with you on the copyright stuff on YouTube...

With the interenet being a Global phenomenon it shouldn't have region locks on it.  I get the whole deal with DVD's having Region locks due to the amount of time it takes a movie to get to the UK after its released in the USA these days but videos on YouTube ?... c'mon.

If your gonna restrict the viewing to one country... and one country only... why f-in' put it up there in the first place ?.

TheBigBeefy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#14  Edited By TheBigBeefy

YouTube sucks what else is new?

ahoodedfigure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 64

#15  Edited By ahoodedfigure

Bothered by their recent change to subscribed accounts.  Now you get to see ALL of their activity instead of just subscriptions.  I don't want to know what some random guy is favoriting, just my friends.  They keep fiddling with stuff, but some of the basic functions still need to be much more user-friendly.

Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Even with the annoying copyright stuff (some of my own videos have been blocked in other countries) I still frequent the site, I don't really care about the most viewed stuff because I know I'll never think of anything good enough (or dumb enough) to get on there. The featured videos always seem to be a randomly generated title with tits as the thumbnail, and that does get a tad annoying, but I still think it's the best video sharing site on the internet.  

Oh, and I've come to find that if you find your day going too well, reading Youtube comments is a great way to lose faith in humanity and induce severe depression.