Yu-Gi-Oh: Getting to know the current meta

Socuteboss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Socuteboss

In the past I've made a few threads about the Yu-Gi-Oh TCG, but I mostly just talked about the basics of the game. As I continue to fall deeper into this particular hole, I've decided to make a series of threads discussing the current meta game, with each one dedicated one of the current top decks. With the introduction out of the way, I'll introduce the current top-dog: Nekroz. As a ritual based archetype, Nekroz have a big emphasis on searching, with almost every card able to search out others. We will start by looking at the ritual monsters themselves, each of which can be summoned with any of the three Nekroz ritual spells.

Based on Fabled Valkyrus, this is is probably the best card in the deck as it's a battle stopper and draw power, all on a 2900 attack body. Should be run at 3, though some people seem to prefer 2.
Based on Fabled Valkyrus, this is is probably the best card in the deck as it's a battle stopper and draw power, all on a 2900 attack body. Should be run at 3, though some people seem to prefer 2.
Based on the ice-barrier dragon Brionac, this is the main searcher of the deck and should be run at 2, because that's the most the ban list currently allows.
Based on the ice-barrier dragon Brionac, this is the main searcher of the deck and should be run at 2, because that's the most the ban list currently allows.

Based on Fabled Unicore, the second best card in the deck because of its level and the ability to recycle any nekroz card in the grave. Should always be run at 3.
Based on Fabled Unicore, the second best card in the deck because of its level and the ability to recycle any nekroz card in the grave. Should always be run at 3.
Based on the ice-barrier dragon Trishula, it's effect kinda speaks for it's self. Opinions greatly vary on how many to run, as it's one of the few actually bricky cards in the deck, but I personally like 2.
Based on the ice-barrier dragon Trishula, it's effect kinda speaks for it's self. Opinions greatly vary on how many to run, as it's one of the few actually bricky cards in the deck, but I personally like 2.

Based on the Ice-Barrier dragon Gungnir, used mainly for it's ability to protect a monster on the field. A lot of people don't run this at all, but I like having it just in case so I do use 1.
Based on the Ice-Barrier dragon Gungnir, used mainly for it's ability to protect a monster on the field. A lot of people don't run this at all, but I like having it just in case so I do use 1.
Based on Mist Bird Clausolas, searches your ritual spell. However, we already have 4 other cards we will get to later that can do this so he's best run at 2.
Based on Mist Bird Clausolas, searches your ritual spell. However, we already have 4 other cards we will get to later that can do this so he's best run at 2.

Based on Ally of Justice Catastor, the second worst Nekroz card. Almost never run outside of weird budget builds.
Based on Ally of Justice Catastor, the second worst Nekroz card. Almost never run outside of weird budget builds.
Based on Ally of Justice Decisive Armor, this is the big beater of the deck, and also functions as a hand trap that boosts a Nekroz monster's stats by 1000. Should definitely be run at 1.
Based on Ally of Justice Decisive Armor, this is the big beater of the deck, and also functions as a hand trap that boosts a Nekroz monster's stats by 1000. Should definitely be run at 1.

Based on Sophia, Goddess of Rebirth, it's got pretty art work, but that's about it. I've never seen anyone run this card, as it is easily the worst card in the archetype.
Based on Sophia, Goddess of Rebirth, it's got pretty art work, but that's about it. I've never seen anyone run this card, as it is easily the worst card in the archetype.

Next we will take a look at the three ritual spells, all of which have an effect that, if you control no monster, allow you to banish it and one other nekroz card from your grave to add another ritual spell to your hand:

The strongest of the three spells, Kaleidoscope lets you send monsters from the extra deck and can be used for the summon of multiple Nekroz ritual monsters .Tun at 2 or 3, I personally like 3.
The strongest of the three spells, Kaleidoscope lets you send monsters from the extra deck and can be used for the summon of multiple Nekroz ritual monsters .Tun at 2 or 3, I personally like 3.
The second best ritual spell, let's you summon ritual monsters from your hand or grave. Run at 2
The second best ritual spell, let's you summon ritual monsters from your hand or grave. Run at 2

The most basic of the three spells, just strait up summons a nekroz ritual monster from the hand using tributes from the field or your hand. Run at 2
The most basic of the three spells, just strait up summons a nekroz ritual monster from the hand using tributes from the field or your hand. Run at 2

Socuteboss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Socuteboss

I'm gonna split this into multiple posts cuz I suck at formatting. We'll now move on to the effect monsters, spells, and the more specific extra deck cards.

The best of the three effect monsters, can be used as the entire tribute for any Nekroz monster.
The best of the three effect monsters, can be used as the entire tribute for any Nekroz monster.
Prevents the negation of your ritual spells while she's on the field, also can recycle any banished Nekroz monsters.
Prevents the negation of your ritual spells while she's on the field, also can recycle any banished Nekroz monsters.

Searches a spellcaster type nekroz monster when used as a tribute (Valk or Unicore). Also acts as a foolish burial when bannished.
Searches a spellcaster type nekroz monster when used as a tribute (Valk or Unicore). Also acts as a foolish burial when bannished.
One of the two
One of the two "Ju" monsters, can search either a ritual monster or spell when summoned. Run at 3, no exception.

The second
The second "Ju" monster, can only add a ritual monster when summoned. almost always run at 3, though some people go for 2.
Recycles a ritual spell and searches most of the Nekroz ritual monsters. Run at 1 because that is currently the most allowed.
Recycles a ritual spell and searches most of the Nekroz ritual monsters. Run at 1 because that is currently the most allowed.

One of the main combo pieces of the deck, when used together with Kaleidoscope it can allow you to summon a unicore and search any other Nekroz ritual monster or spell. Run at 2
One of the main combo pieces of the deck, when used together with Kaleidoscope it can allow you to summon a unicore and search any other Nekroz ritual monster or spell. Run at 2
This, or any other level 12 fusion or synchro monster can be used with Kaleidoscope to summon a Uncore and a Valk, or any other group of Nekroz monsters whose levels add up to 12. Run 1 or 2 level 12.
This, or any other level 12 fusion or synchro monster can be used with Kaleidoscope to summon a Uncore and a Valk, or any other group of Nekroz monsters whose levels add up to 12. Run 1 or 2 level 12.

I'll end with the current deck I'm using. Most of what I'm doing is pretty standard, the only thing that's kinda out there is the one Moulinglacia ( the first card at the top).
I'll end with the current deck I'm using. Most of what I'm doing is pretty standard, the only thing that's kinda out there is the one Moulinglacia ( the first card at the top).

wattsiey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By wattsiey

I remember my good ol Gravity Bind deck. Those were the days. I haven't thought about this in years.

GnaTSoL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Are archfiend decks any good? Lol

I don't even play yugioh anymore but I continue to have a weird infatuation with that archetype since my childhood. I'm guessing it's all cause I just really loved summoned skull, my first card.

I do wanna complete a competent archfiend deck one of these days tho. What's the best site on all things competitive yugioh?

Socuteboss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gnatsol:

This pastebin is pretty good for both keeping up with meta and learnging/ relearning some basics. As for an Archfiend deck, the closest thing would be Burning Abyss, a TCG exclusive archetype based on Dante's Inferno.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

The last deck I ran was a hybrid Lightsworn-Shadoll deck. Hard to keep up with the current metas without a local card shop and the closest one to me is 40 minute drive away from me, so rarely get a chance to visit.

kagato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 7

The last time i even touched Yu-Gi-Oh properly was back when GX had just launched and i was still running a Dark Magicain based deck, given that a bunch of the cards i used to use are no banned and i'm looking for a way back in i might end up using something like this instead. Still dont understand all the new summons (pendulum/XYZ etc) but reading up on them just now. I've been out out of the loop for so long...

BBAlpert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

Jesus those rule blocks got dense. Or where they always that way and I just don't remember? The last Yu-Gi-Oh game I played was one of the GBA versions.

emfromthesea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I'm not really one to keep up with the Yugioh meta, but I am having fun using the Burning Abyss archetype in the recently released Legacy of the Duelist game. What I can gather from playing people online is that the Nekroz archetype is deadly when combined with some Djinn cards.

Socuteboss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sunbrozak:

It was specifically Djinn, Releaser of Rituals that Nekroz ran prior to the most recent F&L list, where it was banned. That card in particular was bad for the game because it forced so many decks to side/ main really weird and kinda bad cards as outs, it also created bad habits in many Nekroz players who would just attempt to throw our the Djinn lock as quickly as possible and hope their opponent doesn't have or draw into an out.

No Caption Provided

GnaTSoL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

RIVERSIDER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#12  Edited By RIVERSIDER

I used to play like 10 years ago back when a Jinzo was the greatest card every made.

ichthy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jesus, I dipped my toes in a few years ago (actually it might be closer to 7-8 years now that I think about it) back when Blackwing decks were strong. Looking at this just makes me want another YGO game for the 3DS or something.

Naoiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

This reminds me of high school. I had a huge binder full of cards...didn't really play much outside of the video games but I freaking loved collecting them.

Socuteboss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gnatsol:

Nothing really comes to mind for that, though the new Red-Eyes support does use some archfiend stuff.

recroulette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 11

I've became sort of interested in Yugioh again (for the first time since...whenever Yugi battled Marik on the WB run? Somewhere around there) because of Legacy of the Duelist. I've gotten a lot of the new basics down (Synchro, XYZ, Pendulum), but have no idea about any of the meta, so this is neat. Nice work.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

As a person that stopped playing Yu Gi Oh several years ago, the idea that Rituals are the hottest thing right now is crazy to me.

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#18 FinalDasa  Moderator

I like that I can always dip back into YuGiOh and find something interesting/cool to enjoy about it. I doubt I'll ever be able to keep up with the meta like I was when I was younger but a good number of the newer cards still catch my eye.

bombedyermom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

haven't looked at a Yugioh card in years. Intense call backs reading this post. The child in me is extremely satisfied with all the stars and shiny colours that I used to love oh so dearly. Never gonna play it again, but man I didn't realize how much I loved that game back in the day.

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I loved Yugioh back in the day, but have resisted the urge to go back and start collecting/playing again multiple times since (though the last time was around the second season of 5D's so looking it up says around 2009-2010). I just know I'll end up dumping loads of money in like crazy (something I could control by being a kid with an allowance)... so this isn't helping that. However, this is pretty cool.

As a person that stopped playing Yu Gi Oh several years ago, the idea that Rituals are the hottest thing right now is crazy to me.

Hell yeah. I always thought Rituals were much less cool than Fusions in Original Yugioh.

Also, finding out that not only have their been multiple seasons of 5D's since I clocked out, but a whole other anime (Zexal) and now a new one ... crazy.

Belegorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For me at least the current meta is that myself and everyone I know have quit, either for Vanguard, Magic, or moving on with their lives. The combination of power creep growing more than ever, combined with the realisation that Konami is never ever going to make the pricing more reasonable, is what led to this. Still kind of miss my Infernities though.

emfromthesea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fusion cards are also pretty popular these days, with the Shaddoll archetype being one of the strongest. It's cool to see that they're not being thrown to the wayside in wake of the newer card types.

Socuteboss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@belegorm:

The current meta is definitely getting stale and, while I really like playing both Shaddoll and Nekroz, the sameness is definitely a problem, as the TCG seems to be set to continue being dominated by the same couple of decks that have been popular since last fall.

bobafettjm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 69

I love me some Yu-Gi-Oh!, but I have never been so into it that I am reading into the best decks and such.

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wattsiey said:

I remember my good ol Gravity Bind deck. Those were the days. I haven't thought about this in years.

Dude I remember Gravity Bind decks. I think I used clowns and monsters that would directly attack LP with that. I haven't thought about Yugioh since like my senior year of high school back in 2004. We used to use that online dueling program. I don't remember what it was called.