Zoe Quinn's Crash Override novel will be made into a film

• 120 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Slang_N_Bang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Slang_N_Bang

Amy Pascal's new studio won the film rights, and Scarlett Johansson is apparently extremely interested in the project.

I wonder if it'll start from the Depression Quest hoopla, when 4chan targeted her for harassment. Anyway, should be very interesting, especially how certain individuals in the media end up being portrayed.

http://deadline.com/2015/11/zoe-quinn-crash-override-gamergate-memoir-amy-pascal-1201611420/

"EXCLUSIVE: Amy Pascal’s Pascal Pictures has won a bidding battle for Crash Override: How To Save The Internet From Itself, a memoir by game designer Zoe Quinn that sold to Touchstone/Simon & Schuster and will be published September, 2016. The property was bid on by several studios and TV outlets, and several actresses are circling, with interest from Scarlett Johansson said to be keenest.

The movie deal was based on a proposal titled Control Alt Delete, and tells the story of how Quinn, creator of such hip interactive games as Depression Quest, was targeted by a digital mob bent on upending her life when a blog post by her ex-boyfriend went viral. It sparked the widely-discussed Gamergate controversy and took a surprising turn when instead of running, she decided to fight back. It is a very inside look at gaming and nerd culture and what happens when one gets caught in the gears of that machine.

Rebecca Angelo and Lauren Schuker Blum are set to adapt. Pascal Pictures will finance and Pascal will produce with Rachel O’Connor, and Entertainment 360. The latter got the book proposal early on, and created the package with the screenwriters, who met while working as journalists at the Wall Street Journal. It was then shopped and Pascal Pictures stepped up. Pascal Pictures is Sony-based and that studio will get first crack; for right now, its development is being funded internally by Pascal. CAA brokered the deal. The agency and Management 360 repped the scribes, whose first project — the Tammany Hall-set feature An Extraordinary Man — has Anne Hathaway attached and is set up at Erika Olde’s Black Bicycle Entertainment.

Quinn perhaps best describes the potential movie and conflict in her proposal: “Gaming and internet message boards used to be niche interests, mostly for young men. In the past few years, however, they’ve gone mainstream. Millions of people — including women and other marginalized people — have taken an interest in the platforms, image boards, and discussion forums that once belonged by default to a much smaller population. Most gamers give zero fu*ks about this. Like the rest of us, they’re just here to play games. But a vocal minority are clinging onto the brand of Cheetos-and-Mountain-Dew exclusionary identity ‘hardcore gamer,’ muttering ‘fu*kin casuals’ under their breath.”"

cmblasko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow, good for her. It's pretty great to see some good come out of that whole mess for her.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

And we thought the internet was on fire before.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

If Scarlett Johansson plays Zoe Quinn in a movie things will have gotten very fucking weird out here.

ThunderSlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Why do people love to name things vaguely related to computers Ctrl-Alt-Del? I see that everywhere.

TheVeteran13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By TheVeteran13

creator of such hip interactive games as Depression Quest

this is a dumb looking group of words

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

@slang_n_bang said:

creator of such hip interactive games as Depression Quest

this is a dumb looking group of words

depression is hip man, all the cool kids are depressed

villainy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Good for her to find some benefit out of this beyond massive attention for all the wrong reasons. She really had to name it Crash Override though? Sigh.

musclerider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I'm sure this would portray all sides of the story accurately

Slang_N_Bang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Slang_N_Bang

@musclerider: I heard that the 65 year old man that called Jeff up on Mixlr and tearfully ranted about "SJWs destroying Saturday morning cartoons in the 70s" will have a tasteful nude scene.

http://youtu.be/bboIk6w0hFA

conmulligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Holy shit, good for her.

whitegreyblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#15  Edited By whitegreyblack

If there's anything I know about Hollywood it's that they are totally capable of creating motion pictures that are subtle, well thought out and researched, and accurately portray every side of a conflict without falling into bias and hyperbole.

Oh wait. None of that.

Still, it'll be... Interesting... To see what comes of this. From a safe distance.

audioBusting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 25

#17  Edited By audioBusting

It will probably be interesting to see how this movie production folds out.

chrissedoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's awesome, but as interesting and important as her story is, it's way too hard to portray drama that happens over the Internet in an entertaining way. If nothing else, I'm glad Quinn is getting to make some money off of the living nightmare to which she's being subjected and this is great publicity for her upcoming book. The more mainstream exposure her story gets, the more marginalized the reactionary loons and trolls who've been tormenting her and other women online become and that's a great thing all on its own.

Ley_Lines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A lot of people here are talking like this film is in production. Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought it was just optioned for film. Lots of scripts are optioned and never made from what I understand. Doesn't mean it won't get made but it's far from a sure thing. Let's put aside the question of Zoe quinn herself because that's a quick way to get this thread locked. Let's ask instead, what would even happen in this movie? There's no violence or action, it's assholes on the internet saying mean things or making threats. That's not a dismissal of the harassment but how would you translate that to screen? In books, you could go on about how this harassment makes you feel but film is a visual medium how do you make that work? She made a couple of games in twine so it's not like it's gonna be the harrowing tale of game development like indie game the movie where a couple of people worked on a game for years just for the big payoff they're not sure they'll get. I believe her games were all free. This movie only has two routes available to it, it either goes the SVU episode route or Cyberbully route (I reccommend checking out the "your movie sucks" review of cyberbully). Neither is any good. I imagine the movie ends with Quinn going to the UN but the report given at the UN about cyberviolence against women was universally panned for it's poor sourcing and was a sore spot on the overall message. Please friends, believe me when I say I'm not acting in bad faith here, I literally don't know what you would put in this movie.

perilator666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Combating online harassment (any harassment really) is definitely a good cause. However I'm not convinced this film will be able to get the message across without becoming super biased.

personandstuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@slang_n_bang said:

took a surprising turn when instead of running, she decided to fight back.

Did she actually? Because, as someone who didn't follow this hot garbage story too closely, it seemed like she mostly kept her head down. Which is the right thing to do. Trolls depend on you standing up and fighting back. That's the point.

SethMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By SethMode

Man, this thing popped up on my Facebook feed via Polygon and was accompanied with just a whole mess of nightmare people. A seemingly abnormal amount (at least, to me) of people that a) don't know what a memoir is; and/or b) seem convinced that Hollywood is this crazy pro-female institution which has already given this movie (which may never even get made) Cate Blanchett and all of the awards already. Because you know, Hollywood: where chauvinism doesn't exist.

SubwayD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

I'm expecting to see a massive rise in bomb and shooting threats at cinemas should this movie be released.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 58

#24  Edited By ArbitraryWater

"Optioned" doesn't mean a whole lot in the grand scheme of things, lest we forget that Bioshock, Gears of War and Asteroids (to name a few) were all optioned to be made into movies. Still, if this movie actually does get made, good on Zoe Quinn. She'll be turning the burning, irrational hatred of internet jerks and the things they inflicted upon her into cash money.

SethMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"Optioned" doesn't mean a whole lot in the grand scheme of things, lest we forget that Bioshock, Gears of War and Asteroids (to name a few) were all optioned to be made into movies. Still, if this movie actually does get made, good on Zoe Quinn. She'll be turning the burning, irrational hatred of internet jerks and the things they inflicted upon her into cash money.

That's a big part of my personal confusion (which really shouldn't exist because the internet is great yet terrible)...why are people losing their shit? Do they really think that somehow a movie about this will be made, be shit, yet get super well received, and what? Fuck up their platform? Nothing about it makes any sense.

koolaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@personandstuff: I think in this situation, running means quitting the game industry and pretty much leaving the public internet. And fighting back means not doing those things.

@sethmode said:

Man, this thing popped up on my Facebook feed via Polygon and was accompanied with just a whole mess of nightmare people. A seemingly abnormal amount (at least, to me) of people that a) don't know what a memoir is; and/or b) seem convinced that Hollywood is this crazy pro-female institution which has already given this movie (which may never even get made) Cate Blanchett and all of the awards already. Because you know, Hollywood: where chauvinism doesn't exist.

I mean, these are the same people who think the video game industry is controlled by SJWs or whatever. So like... yeah. I think they gravely misunderstand the entertainment world.

randombattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's so weird because there's not really anything to make a movie out of this. This is a story with no action, no resolution, no drama, barely a handful of actual people, and a lot of hollow anonymous comments. How do you make a movie out of that without just making up 99% of it.

Frybird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#29  Edited By Frybird

No it won't, for reasons people mentioned here.

Even if a "angry internet comment" montage would be funny. (Haven't had those since End of Evangelion)

This just serves as a reminder that there are still people out there who are willing to buy into largely debunked narratives so they can fuel thier own persecution complexes over a movement that did not actually exists in the first place. (TL;DR: That the internet is a place where awful people rule eternal)

It's time internet garbage people try to burn different people on a stake for vaguely defined reasons. I'm just feeling numb and annoyed over all this.

rkofan87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's so weird because there's not really anything to make a movie out of this. This is a story with no action, no resolution, no drama, barely a handful of actual people, and a lot of hollow anonymous comments. How do you make a movie out of that without just making up 99% of it.

this the movie is going to do more harm then good imo.

rethla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rkofan87: Its gonna make some money which is what this is about.

Avatar image for waltercrunkfite
WalterCrunkFite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah! Awesome!

talonar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I feel like it's just going to be an hour and a half of that Law and Order episode. You know the one.

Napstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@slang_n_bang: Thank you haven't heard that one before, very enlightening.

BradBrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By BradBrains
@tikimorpher said:
@sammo21 said:

Still waiting on Crash Override to do something positive besides reset its timers (multiple times apparently). According to Quinn CO has helped "thousands of people" but they've not provided a single, verifiable source for any of her claims. I still believe several people, on both sides of the argument, are riding the waves of last fall into $$.

added: so she started her "memoirs" a few months ago and its already a film? She's 28 years old and she's making a memoir? I guess there will be about 4 chapters with her ranting about how its terrible people like HP Lovecraft because he was racist for a large majority of his life? :| I'm curious if the parts of the film regarding "message boards" will show her past with hateful and troll related ones she took part in (documented) ? Probably not.

Good luck to her, I guess. She's already made $$ on it if she's sold the rights to the product before it is even out.

There's a reason the Crash Override Network's acronym is CON.

imagine being angry about this STILL. its so crazy. its been over a year. imagine being this mad because someone said gaming trolls are awful.

also tons of younger people have wrote memoirs. a memior just means a group of stories. there are people who arent 50 thaet could write about tons of stuff . Kaley Cuoco is 28. I bet she has tons to say as a random example.

BradBrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By BradBrains

@sethmode said:
@arbitrarywater said:

That's a big part of my personal confusion (which really shouldn't exist because the internet is great yet terrible)...why are people losing their shit? Do they really think that somehow a movie about this will be made, be shit, yet get super well received, and what? Fuck up their platform? Nothing about it makes any sense.

it seems a group of people from that group are still following around these people to get mad at everything they do. even after over a year. it really bums me out.

if you dont like somerthing normally you just shrug it off and move on with your life. apathy is the real hatred .

I dont really think "gamers" is an actual group but for lack of a better way to articulate my thoughts these guys give gamers a bad name. like an ex boyfriend who just wont let go. o wait that example is maybe too close to this whole story...

on topic: a movie thats optioned does not mean a movie thats made. often its just a way to secure rights in case they find a way to make it.I doubt it gets made. how do you film this whole thing .pan and scans of message board posts?

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 44

BradBrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By BradBrains

@sammo21 said:

@bradbrains: and none of it interesting.

yea I cant say I'm interested in reading it/watching it (I still havent got to carrie brownsteins memoir!) though some of the reaction ive seen has been kinda pathetic. apathy I totally would understand. ive seen flat out anger though.

imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Yeah there's absolutely no way this is going to go poorly and will certainly portray all the sides of the story with appropriate respect and in an unbiased light

BradBrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

will somebody please think of the harassing trolls.

Avatar image for adequatelyprepared
AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is going to be a shitshow if it ever actually comes to anything.

Dan_CiTi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maybe this will be the first thing I know about her that isn't some angry forum post about some seemingly super meaningless garbage.

MindBullet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

So is this going to be a TV/digital release? I imagine if they tried to show it in theaters half the places will end up refusing due to various call-in threats.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#45  Edited By RonGalaxy

Bet the trolls didn't have this in mind when they were trying to ruin her fucking life. I think making this movie is a dumb idea, but the thought of a thousand trolls pouting over this inadvertent outcome tickles my blackened heart.

456nto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Are Dick Wolf and Speed Weed involved?

Crysack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bet the trolls didn't have this in mind when they were trying to ruin her fucking life. I think making this movie is a dumb idea, but the thought of a thousand pouty trolls crying over inadvertently getting Zoe a deal like this tickles my dark heart.

Yeah, I'm sure they'll care a whole lot and definitely won't just use it as more ammunition to get their kicks pissing people off on the internet.

Atwa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 10

#48  Edited By Atwa

Rights get sold plenty of times, I highly doubt this will be a thing.

BradBrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bet the trolls didn't have this in mind when they were trying to ruin her fucking life. I think making this movie is a dumb idea, but the thought of a thousand trolls pouting over this inadvertent outcome tickles my blackened heart.

its funny because if they just didnt care about depression quest and moved on this movie would never have been made.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I demand that in the movie she is portrayed with an actual robot arm.