My thoughts on the industry as of now.

Scruss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

Edited By Scruss

The current state of the industry is that of one who is still growing. I feel like we’re leaving behind our childish ways and moving on to a more sophisticated future. I don’t mean to say everything before now was childish, but that it feels as though the industry is taking on a more mature role. As a proponent of quality storytelling in games, I have to say the last several years have been a joy. This year alone has been fantastic for our medium. Games like Alan Wake and Heavy Rain made an effort to be different, to do things that nobody else had done before. Sure, they had their problems, but nothing is perfect.

I admit that’s a fairly worn out argument, but it rings true. To break from the norm is a commendable action. For years I’ve felt like videogames were champions of nonsensical violence. Recent times however indicate otherwise. We no longer require violence to hold our attention. We’re finding out that quality, compelling narratives, and interesting fictions do as much if not more for us than violence ever did. I don’t mean to pick on violence, but let’s be honest. Try and think of five games that don’t depict some sort of violent act. Off the top of my head I can think of one in the last year. Insinuated or in your face, violence is a staple of the games industry, and really of the entertainment industry as a whole.

I think we’re still in an awkward place when it comes to censorship. To this day lawmakers try and ban sales of violent games to children. It seems like the question of who is responsible for what kids play is a recurring problem. To me the answer seems clear enough, but for whatever reason there are those who take it upon themselves to argue otherwise. They aren’t ok with content in games and therefore attack the industry instead of doing what needs to be done. We all know the first and last line of defense against kids being subjected to violent material are the parents and/or legal guardians. Why some people feel like putting bans on things is beyond me. If your child gets a hold of something they shouldn’t, accept the responsibility.

Beyond violence and censorship I think we’re still trying to figure out as consumers and developers what is morally, and socially acceptable in a game. How long after a war are we “required” to wait before depicting it in a game? What about sex and drugs in games? Is there a limit to how far we can go? I certainly don’t know. I’ve yet to encounter a situation in which I had to say “Too much developer, take it down a notch.” Then again my tolerances are different than others.

Are we as consumers obligated to take a stand and decide what we believe to be right? Should developers be responsible? Ultimately we’ll decide one way or another, but who is to decide is still up in the air.  Maybe it’ll be a joint decision, that it will balance and work itself out in the end is a thought.

Something of note in the last few years is that developers are becoming less “shy.” As we get older, developers and publishers realize they can’t rely on word of mouth. In that I mean some of our industries older members are reaching out and interacting with the community, including on a national level. Five years ago who would have thought we would see a late night show host who hosted game developers. We’re becoming more and more mainstream as we get older.

I can’t say for certain how the film industry aged or progressed, but I’m sure they had the same problems we’re having. We are becoming more and more impactful on peoples day to day lives and some are uncertain of us. They aren’t of our generation. Games used to be play toys for kids and they aren’t anymore. I think that frightens a lot of people.

Scruss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Scruss

The current state of the industry is that of one who is still growing. I feel like we’re leaving behind our childish ways and moving on to a more sophisticated future. I don’t mean to say everything before now was childish, but that it feels as though the industry is taking on a more mature role. As a proponent of quality storytelling in games, I have to say the last several years have been a joy. This year alone has been fantastic for our medium. Games like Alan Wake and Heavy Rain made an effort to be different, to do things that nobody else had done before. Sure, they had their problems, but nothing is perfect.

I admit that’s a fairly worn out argument, but it rings true. To break from the norm is a commendable action. For years I’ve felt like videogames were champions of nonsensical violence. Recent times however indicate otherwise. We no longer require violence to hold our attention. We’re finding out that quality, compelling narratives, and interesting fictions do as much if not more for us than violence ever did. I don’t mean to pick on violence, but let’s be honest. Try and think of five games that don’t depict some sort of violent act. Off the top of my head I can think of one in the last year. Insinuated or in your face, violence is a staple of the games industry, and really of the entertainment industry as a whole.

I think we’re still in an awkward place when it comes to censorship. To this day lawmakers try and ban sales of violent games to children. It seems like the question of who is responsible for what kids play is a recurring problem. To me the answer seems clear enough, but for whatever reason there are those who take it upon themselves to argue otherwise. They aren’t ok with content in games and therefore attack the industry instead of doing what needs to be done. We all know the first and last line of defense against kids being subjected to violent material are the parents and/or legal guardians. Why some people feel like putting bans on things is beyond me. If your child gets a hold of something they shouldn’t, accept the responsibility.

Beyond violence and censorship I think we’re still trying to figure out as consumers and developers what is morally, and socially acceptable in a game. How long after a war are we “required” to wait before depicting it in a game? What about sex and drugs in games? Is there a limit to how far we can go? I certainly don’t know. I’ve yet to encounter a situation in which I had to say “Too much developer, take it down a notch.” Then again my tolerances are different than others.

Are we as consumers obligated to take a stand and decide what we believe to be right? Should developers be responsible? Ultimately we’ll decide one way or another, but who is to decide is still up in the air.  Maybe it’ll be a joint decision, that it will balance and work itself out in the end is a thought.

Something of note in the last few years is that developers are becoming less “shy.” As we get older, developers and publishers realize they can’t rely on word of mouth. In that I mean some of our industries older members are reaching out and interacting with the community, including on a national level. Five years ago who would have thought we would see a late night show host who hosted game developers. We’re becoming more and more mainstream as we get older.

I can’t say for certain how the film industry aged or progressed, but I’m sure they had the same problems we’re having. We are becoming more and more impactful on peoples day to day lives and some are uncertain of us. They aren’t of our generation. Games used to be play toys for kids and they aren’t anymore. I think that frightens a lot of people.