Does anyone remember good old overlord?

superprohero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By superprohero

Does anyone even remember this beautiful underrated chaotic series? To me it seems like overlord games are lost in the sands of time.

Just want to know if anyone here has any experience with overlord games? i really miss this series and i wonder if they will ever make another overlord game also i was planning to replay this series. my nostalgia brought me here to see if i was the only one who still cares about the overlord.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

Of course. It was a B tier series that died with all the others. They tried to bring it back with an awful multiplayer thing but it's the kind of game that doesn't exist any more. If there were an indie reboot or kickstarter, maybe. I assume the rights are still with Codemasters but I don't know.

British fantasy Pikmin is my short pitch for it and I really enjoyed it.

Avatar image for deactivated-63f899c29358e
deactivated-63f899c29358e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Sure I remember the first Overlord, never finished it though. I guess Codemasters still own since they put out an Overlord game in 2015 (Overlord: Fellowship of Evil)

superprohero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By superprohero

Of course. It was a B tier series that died with all the others. They tried to bring it back with an awful multiplayer thing but it's the kind of game that doesn't exist any more. If there were an indie reboot or kickstarter, maybe. I assume the rights are still with Codemasters but I don't know.

British fantasy Pikmin is my short pitch for it and I really enjoyed it.

Yeah it is so sad that such an innovative game died the death of lonely wolf. This series deserved more than this.

superprohero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@firepaw said:

Sure I remember the first Overlord, never finished it though.

why? not your cup of tea or just you did not like the gameplay.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

@superprohero: Overlord 2 is still pretty good if you haven't played the sequel but the first is still better. The 2015 game doesn't really count so there are only 2 games. Such a shame.

superprohero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@superprohero: Overlord 2 is still pretty good if you haven't played the sequel but the first is still better. The 2015 game doesn't really count so there are only 2 games. Such a shame.

yeah i have played it. overlord is one of my early games.

whitegreyblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By whitegreyblack

I seem to remember the series crashing and burning with the release of Fellowship of Evil, since it took the game in a totally different direction than the first two games (a top-down co-op action RPG, or some such).

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I remember buying the Wii game and playing it for an hour. That seemed like not a great version of Overlord.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

I still think it’s super weird that those games were made by the Age of Wonders people. Like, how do you go from making well-liked but niche turn-based strategy games to making “Pikmin, but evil?”

jaqen_hghar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

I had a decent enough time with the first two games. I remember being a bit annoyed about the morality-meter or whatever though. In a game where you are supposed to play the Evil Overlord, you could either be the good guy or a douchebag. I never felt you could be actual evil at least. Sounds kinda weird, but I do miss games where you are playing the actual bad guy. Still. if they made a proper third game, I would probably play it!

TheRealTurk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I remember liking the concept of the original Overlord, but the gameplay ended up driving me off.

Ungodly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It had an interesting premise, but annoying gameplay. I was excited to play a bad guy Pikman, but it just didn’t have enough polish and the combat was boring as the Overlord. I just remember feeling like the big guy was a walking tree trunk.

It’s been a long time since I played it, and I could be remembering things wrong.

AlmostSwedish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I played the demo and really enjoyed it. I might actually make an effort to play and buy it this holiday. It seems like it would make for a good holiday game. Nothing to demanding but still good fun.

WheresDerrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Overlord and The Darkness came out either the same day or the same month and were very early 360 games. I played both, Overlord needed a lot more polish and such though.

TuxedoCruise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The latest Overlord was terrible, and it was from Codemasters. That series might be done for a while.

superprohero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I played the demo and really enjoyed it. I might actually make an effort to play and buy it this holiday. It seems like it would make for a good holiday game. Nothing to demanding but still good fun.

No Caption Provided

superprohero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By superprohero

@tuxedocruise said:

The latest Overlord was terrible, and it was from Codemasters. That series might be done for a while.

yeah i know it was pretty disappointing. for another Overlord it seems like we fans will have to wait for pretty long time.

superprohero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ungodly said:

It had an interesting premise, but annoying gameplay. I was excited to play a bad guy Pikman, but it just didn’t have enough polish and the combat was boring as the Overlord. I just remember feeling like the big guy was a walking tree trunk.

You are pretty accurate with that walking tree trunk description but when it comes to combat you are wrong here. You see it was never about the overlord it was about the minions and the ability to use them in the different types of situations in the most perfect way.

HugoBossk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I had a friend who loved this game. He let me borrow it, and I played a good deal of it but never finished. I thought the concept was neat, and if I remember correctly there was a fun element of decorating your hideout or something?

I played overlord before ever touching Pikmin, so I wonder if it would be interesting to go back and visit this game.

Is it even available digitally anywhere?

TuxedoCruise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By TuxedoCruise
Ungodly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@superprohero: I wasn’t talking about the minions. They worked like Pikman, and it was fine. I was mainly talking about how much it sucked fighting as the Overlord, and that it kinda sucked all of the wind out of believing that you are an all powerful monster.

HugoBossk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tuxedocruise: Is the PC port any good? I've had mixed results with ports from the specific time frame Overlord was released. But thanks! Might pick it up on Steam

WheresDerrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By WheresDerrick

Another thing I remembered about it, if you wanted to buy upgrades, you had to sacrifice minions, so there was a lot of grinding to be done to collect a lot of minions.

TuxedoCruise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By TuxedoCruise

@hugobossk said:

@tuxedocruise: Is the PC port any good? I've had mixed results with ports from the specific time frame Overlord was released. But thanks! Might pick it up on Steam

Overlord and Overlord II run fine for me on Windows 8.1 and they both have native Xbox 360 controller support.

armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 17

@alistercat: I miss B tier games of the previous gen :(

The only reason I played Overlord was because I needed something with the Fable vibe. Couldn't really get into this though.