Are people still playing this on PC?

sombre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

Hello gang,

I'm planning on building a new PC next weekend, and one of the games I've been dying to play is Overwatch.

But I'm worried there's not gonna be many people playing anymore. Is this true or not? Is it still THE multiplayer shooter on the PC?

maxszy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Do you mean people on Giantbomb or people in general?

Overwatch is extremely popular and you should have no problem getting into games on the PC. I don't personally play much anymore (but play on PC when I do), but anytime I do jump in i get into games without issue.

As for people playing from the GB community, I don't know the answer to that one.

RainbowWeasel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Owning this on PC and PS4, I'd say from my anecdotal experience that the PC has a pretty solid community size to this date. I rarely wait longer than a couple seconds for a game in Quick Play though I usually play Mystery Heroes (a side mode that has a little longer wait [30 seconds-ish.]) On the PS4 I find that I might wait twice as long if not longer for the same modes.

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The game is still hugely popular. Granted I play on ps4 not PC but I can only imagine it's the same there.

Casepb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes quite a lot of people still play on PC. Finding a game takes very little time. Well it depends on the time of day. In the evenings it usually takes 30-60 seconds.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

#6  Edited By TheManWithNoPlan

In general - Yeah, it's still pretty popular from what I can tell. I never have a problem finding a games while solo queuing. I actually want to hunt down some raw numbers and see now though.

Giant Bomb - If anyone's interested we have an active (Unofficial) giant bomb overwatch discord. We've recently been watching the overwatch league and having a blast discussing it. Most of the active people playing are Pc people (myself included), but there are some people around that play on consoles.

I actually made a thread here talking about it. Hope this doesn't seem spammy, given it's specifically for the gb community.

spamshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It isn't the multiplayer shooter on PC, but its still very popular. Blizzard is doing a lot of work to support it and the community is very dedicated to it. I would guess you'll get tired of playing it before the community wanes so much you'd have trouble finding matches. I'm talking years from now. So be excited! Overwatch is great, and PC is the place to play it!

...though I usually play Mystery Heroes (a side mode that has a little longer wait [30 seconds-ish.])...

Hooray another Mystery Heroes lover! I love that gamemode, its like the lowest possible stress level of all OW gametypes. No meta, no character selection gripes, no expectations, you get to play heroes you never play. Its great!

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ripelivejam

I should jump back in. I was never very good at all, though. Also when I played I was always the one who'd have to go healer so I ended up taking quite the liking to Lucio. Considering how much longer people have been playing and how better they are, I doubt i would hold my own. And people will probably yell at me for not choosing the right hero, etc etc. I also remember everyone moving to ranked so I'm guessing there's no room for casual play with randos anymore. Oh well, was fun while it lasted.

e: reading is fun. Maybe I should try out Mystery Heroes.

big_denim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

I still play every week or so on PC. Feel free to shoot me a friend request if you ever wanna play!

Believe my user id is cugabuh#1559

I am like 2 levels away from ranked mode. Not sure if you're looking to do that, but I'd be interested in doing some competitive at some point whenever you get to level 25.

Cheers!

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

@spamshadow: @ripelivejam: Mystery Heroes is where it's at when you just want to relax without any stress. That's pretty much all I play in arcade when I'm trying to get my weekly loot boxes.

DocHaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 11

Yes.

clagnaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

Yep. I personally only play during seasonal events. That's probably when the game is most active between new skins, random discounts on the game, the event itself, etc.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

Definitely, playerbase is huge and incredibly active.

I suspect OW will be around for a large number of years to come. Blizzard games have an incredibly long shelf life.

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

#15  Edited By sammo21

Most definitely and the community on PC is 1000x better than on console.

I have the game for Ps4 and PC and I rarely play the console version anymore because of how awful the community on there is. Solo queuing for competitive on Ps4 is one of my worst total gaming experiences of the past few years. Anytime I queue on PC solo its consistently a better experience, win or lose.

I wish you could sync accounts so unlocks carried across console and PC but I am sure they don't do that because they want to make sure they don't lose one dollar on paid loot chests. I have far more skins and stuff unlocked on PS4 :(

Howardian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@coryukin said:

PC is still the most popular platform by a mile for Overwatch.

Never played the game but is this true?

Avatar image for purpleeggshells
purpleeggshells

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

@howardian: Definitely, there have been persistent balance issues with the console versions (despite having console specific balance patches every so often). That said, I genuinely do think Blizzard are working with Sony/Microsoft to roll out patches and balance the game to try and avoid low aim requirement heroes dominating

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@purpleeggshells: hmmmm What? Low aim requirement hero's dominating? What does that even mean? Which characters are you specifically refering to? Have you seen the top players on ps4 hero selection?

paypay88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah it is, though most players gone for pubg. Newer players come everyday