Deathmatch is the best thing I have ever played in Overwatch.

Drekly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Wow. Just wow. Deathmatch is by far the most fun I have had in my 1000+ hours of Overwatch.

For those not in the know, it's currently a mode on the PTR and will no doubt go live fully in a week or so.

The reason I love it so much is because you have to think and play differently. No longer is it a team game, everyone is out to kill you. If you see two characters fighting each other, you have to pick your targets depending on how risky each one is.

It feels like they've really increased the sounds of footsteps too, it's so intense.

If you've been bored of OW for a while, this might be the thing that brings you back.

Video below is kinda long but gives you a good sense of how awesome the mode is.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

This is not criticism of you or your tastes, but it's pretty funny that in 2017 the thing that amazes you in a multiplayer game is something called deathmatch.

If anything, it shows that suggesting old game concepts are not good enough is misguided. While I have not played the particular thing you are talking about, I would agree a very solid simple thing is better than something 'new and exciting' that isn't as robust.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By OurSin_360

Weird, game doesn't seem balanced for that at all. Are all the support classes locked?

Avatar image for citizencoffeecake
citizencoffeecake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

So there's really no reason to play a support in this mode I guess? I haven't played Overwatch in a long time but I will check this out, random hero deathmatch would be really fun if that was a possibility.

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

100% not interested in deathmatch for Overwatch. It completely misses the point of why I love OW so much.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#6  Edited By TheManWithNoPlan

As someone with 400 hours in Overwatch, I'm glad that it's gonna be there for the people that want it, but I hate it. In my time with it, Doomfists and Roadhogs were almost always the winners. Not every character is meant to (fairly) go against another in 1v1, unless it's the same character versing each other like in the 1v1 mode.

I like the team deathmatch though.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Fredchuckdave

@zevvion: Just imagine when they invent Team Deathmatch, shooters will never be the same!

Avatar image for deactivated-5e60e701b849a
deactivated-5e60e701b849a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Most supports (if not all of them) can heal themselves, so why would they be locked out? Mercy's pistol, for example, does a lot of damage, too. Anyway, I'm gonna try it once it's out for real, just out of curiosity.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

#9  Edited By Kidavenger

Feels like a big mistake, not having deathmatch probably kept those kind of players away from the game, Overwatch was successful because it was different and catered to a more casual audience.

This honestly really turns me off of the game in a big way.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#10  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

I assume you aren't forced to play deathmatch and it's just another mode you can play, right? If that's the case, awesome - more ways to play a cool game. Complaining about extra modes in Overwatch seems kinda crazy unless it's forced into the main rotation.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11  Edited By BabyChooChoo

This actually seems really cool, but it also seems like characters aren't balanced separately for this mode? If so, that's kind of a bummer. I feel like if they wanted a stronger hold on the whole hero shooter market, if that's even possible at this point, that'd be a good way to do it.

TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@werupenstein: Oh yeah, to be clear, deathmatch and team deathmatch will be arcade exclusive. They won't be in the rotation for regular quick play or competitive. That was something made very clear by Jeff Kaplin in the update video.

Loading Video...

TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@werupenstein: Also, side note: Why in the world is your name displayed as Kidavenger if it doesn't show up in the site @ system, and is wereupenstein when I reply to your post?

Relkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I have absolutely no interest in deathmatch for this game. I don't want TDM either, if I'm being honest; I like the objective-based gameplay. If this becomes a regular mode in the rotation, I'm probably done playing Overwatch. I really hope that doesn't happen, because I haven't had an FPS pull me in like this since Reach. If it isn't part of the mode rotation, I hope it doesn't divide the playerbase much.

notkcots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is the first thing to make Overwatch seem even vaguely appealing to me since I uninstalled it. The team-based objective modes make me feel like I have no impact on the outcome of a match, and a lot of the characters' kits aren't much fun to play with. Playing the game just feels boring to me since your individual actions barely matter compared to the overall functioning of your team and how well your characters mesh.

I might reinstall it at some point to check this mode out, but the only characters that seem like they'd be much fun in it are McCree and Tracer.

huntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

#17  Edited By huntad

This seems fun. I'll check it out when it's released.

doctordonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I'm absolutely outraged about this completely optional mode that I can ignore and continue to play the normal game, and it won't affect me. This is turning me off of the game, why would Blizzard do this? If they put this clearly outlined arcade-exclusive into the normal rotation, I'm so totes done with Overwatch.

LostOddity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would have been way more excited for a permanent PvE mode.

huntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

Update: Deathmatch was just officially released. I don't think this mode will be enough to make me come back to this game weekly or even monthly. The mode is fine enough, but I just have overall concern with the way Blizzard created this game. There is way too much CC, the abilities are powerful and annoying to be on the receiving end on, and teamplay/teamwork/coordination cannot be guaranteed for both sides. I know these are all issues that the game had before deathmatch, but it really was just the only thing that could have got me back into it. I tried to find the fun in this game due to the praise it gets, and the daily Kotaku articles kissing the game's feet, but I guess it just doesn't appeal to me.

After the PvE content released before, I have no interest in Blizzard's form of co-op PvE.

TL;DR: I don't like the game as a whole, but I tried to. *shrugging*

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I love deathmatch so far, I had a ton of fun playing on the PTR. It also makes me feel really good to be able to consistently win on McCree. I was even matched with an incredibly good top 500 guy and was only a few kills behind most rounds and managed to win twice!

I can see myself completely replacing quick play with this, especially as a warmup thing.

BoccKob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think it's a pretty good example of Blizzard's usual thing of throwing shit at people and seeing if anyone wants to lick it off and call it cream pie. I don't know how that metaphor arrived in my head either. Their varyingly broken characters are supposedly balanced around counters and team play, so let's add free for all deathmatch because I dunno, people go nuts for Lucio Ball, I guess they'll swallow anything.

soulcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By soulcake

@drekly: Have you ever played Quake 3 Arena. Cause that's a better game.