Localized voice lines in Overwatch

LtGrimdark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By LtGrimdark

Despite being German I'm playing most of my games in English when given the option. After getting some of my colleagues into Overwatch - they play the German localization - I was actually surprised to hear Reinhardt speaking in an accent that matches the region he's from (and that I'm living in right now). Mercy's German lines at least sound reasonably Swiss to me. I've heard that Hanzo and Genji got their own voice actors in Japan, but I'd be curious to hear if, for example, Brazilians got their own decent Lucio, Russians got their own Zarya or Egyptians got their own Pharah and Ana and if the accents of those characters actually match up with the region they are from.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By BoOzak

All I can tell is you is i'm from England and i've never heard someone sound as 'Bri'ish' as Tracer.

Avatar image for adequatelyprepared
AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Blizzard does have to be given credit for just how many languages they translated all of the spoken dialogue to. It's not something I'd do all the time, but playing with Polish voice lines always makes for a fun time, just as something a bit different.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Love the diversity they aimed for with this game.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

@frostyryan: It is Street Fighter for a new generation.

Maajin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Maajin

As a Brazilian and having only played Overwatch localized to Portuguese, I can attest to the quality and care that went into it. Something really rare to see around here, actually.

Lucio in particular speaks with the appropriate slangs and streetwise that a Carioca (someone born in Rio de Janeiro) would. Here's an article about the voice actor and the process if you're interested, Chrome's english translation seems pretty good.

dr_monocle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm an American and we all either sound like Soldier: 76 or McCree, pardner ;)

LtGrimdark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By LtGrimdark

@maajin: Thanks for the link. I'll give it a look this weekend.

@dr_monocle: Yeah, now that you mention it... seems like it's mostly the anglophone characters that got the stereotypical voices and dialogue. Junkrat would be another one of them, matey.

NickM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Zarya sounds perfectly fine.