New Overwatch Support Hero: Moira

Drekly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

No Caption Provided

We finally got a new support hero, named Moira. From what I can tell she seems like a more mobile Zenyatta? Not sure if I dig her design personally, looks like a Battleborn reject. Bleh.

Her abilities are as follows:

BIOTIC GRASP

Using her left hand, Moira expends biotic energy to heal allies in front of her. Her right hand fires a long-range beam weapon that saps enemies’ health, healing Moira and replenishing her biotic energy.

BIOTIC ORB

Moira launches a rebounding biotic sphere; she can choose between a regeneration effect that heals the allies it passes through, or a decay effect that deals damage to enemies.

FADE

Moira quickly teleports a short distance.

COALESCENCE

Moira channels a long-range beam that both heals allies and bypasses barriers to damage her enemies.

You can see her in action here:

What do you guys think? Happy just to have another support hero? Like her design?

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#2 chaser324  Moderator

It's cool to have another support, but I guess the concern is whether or not they can properly balance her given all of the issues they've had with dialing in Mercy lately.

DrFlapjack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I'm confused by the new champs they release. There was a lot of diversity in the core group, but Orisa and Moira seem like a mish mash of previous champs.

More support champs are cool, but after Doomfist came out along with all the reworks I stopped playing.

WheresDerrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Awesome to see she can bypass barriers with that one attack, that should come in handy in breaking through some defenses.

Panfoot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Mercy rework has thrown off the support hero balance so bad that it's kind of hard to get excited for any new support character yet. Even assuming that will be fixed by the time she releases, i'm worried she's going to really overshadow Zenyatta.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm super curious to get a feel for her. I'm a casual player at best (I play Random Heroes more than anything, to give an idea), so I don't know much about how she affects Ana/Zenyatta viability or what have you, but I'm definitely down for another healer, and her ult sounds like a great way to turn a match around.

Design-wise, yeah, I agree, not loving the look. Sombra's already got the "purple cyberpunk and cah-razy hands" thing, and this is just that but much more so.

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

So she's basically a techno shadow priest? I like it!

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm kind of torn. She looks very interesting. Too interesting. All of Blizzards new hero's seem to have way more going on than the original cast did. Which on one hand is good but also it feels at times like they're shoehorning too many ideas into single characters, rather than extrapolating and producing 2 characters. I defiantly wanted another support, and especially another dps/support hybrid like Zen which she appears to be. Looks wise I love the cool effects she has going on but I agree her actual character model is a bit disappointing. I was rather hoping for a wacky crazy omnic character.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By FrostyRyan

I don't know. First of all, where the fuck is our new defense hero? we've had TWO added offense heroes, a support, a tank, and now a support again? Give us another defense hero.

Second, she seems like a mashup of zenyatta and ana. I'm starting to feel like we've got too many heroes now.

Relkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Always down for more Supports, considering they're some of the only characters I am any good at, but I dunno about this one. Not a fan of her look.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

With a name\hair like that I assume she is either Scottish or Irish?

viking_funeral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

Her design is kind of all over the place. Kano eye patch, Xi'an Chi Xan power set, wizard robes, stereotypically Irish. All it will really come down to is how she plays, of course, and her position in the lore is kind of cool. I just wish I could get over her design.

Xeirus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By Xeirus

I don't know. First of all, where the fuck is our new defense hero? we've had TWO added offense heroes, a support, a tank, and now a support again? Give us another defense hero.

Second, she seems like a mashup of zenyatta and ana. I'm starting to feel like we've got too many heroes now.

What would you suggest for a new defensive hero?

We already have 3 turrets, 3 snipers, and junkrat. I'm not sure what other utility they could add that wouldn't just be more of the same.

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

Feels like a dark version of Zenyatta's theme. I'm not totally sold on her design but I don't absolutely hate it.

Casepb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xeirus said:
@frostyryan said:

We already have 3 turrets, 3 snipers, and junkrat. I'm not sure what other utility they could add that wouldn't just be more of the same.

Fire guy. You know flamethrower and maybe molotov cocktail type grenades going on. I don't know just something to do with fire!

Drekly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Xeirus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@casepb said:
@xeirus said:
@frostyryan said:

Fire guy. You know flamethrower and maybe molotov cocktail type grenades going on. I don't know just something to do with fire!

Did you watch the trailer for Moira? She literally has a healing flamethrower skill.
I think Junkrat is the fire-ish guy, he's actually on fire and shoots grenades.

I'm not saying there's nowhere to go for them, I'm just saying, from day 1 they already had redundancies in the lineup.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b4a957513e44
deactivated-5b4a957513e44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

@chaser324: They put Mercy in a much better spot. Play the PTR and you will see. For a normal rez, its a charged up ability. If she gets knocked back, stunned, or gets pushed back, she cannot use her rez. During her ult, she can rez people with no charge up.

They keep making smart changes to the game, and I'm impressed that it has kept my interest for this long. Its hard for me to play call of duty or anything of that variety again.

echasketchers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I'm excited for her. I don't really like playing support but often get stuck picking it because no one else wants to. Since the changes to Mercy she's been the only support I've been using and I'd like to have another option that is more fun for me. Still enjoying this game as much if not more than last year, so any new content is welcome.

TechnoSyndrome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

I've put over an hour into her on the PTR and she feels maybe a bit weak but she's a lot of fun. She's basically the support equivalent of Genji, get in, harass for a bit, shift out.

GregHorrorShow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really like the character design for Moira and think her abilities could prove super useful.

The fact her healing orb deflects off walls etc. means you don't need line of sight to heal someone which could be great. Ana's biotic grenade serves a similar purpose but you can't use walls to land that into a specific area.

Even her ultimate seems cool, could really help break through those choke points - especially as it can pass through barriers.

echasketchers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So I've played a fair amount of Moira at this point and thought I'd bump this with some observations. The fact that the healing spray runs out if you don't deal damage to recharge it is interesting, it forces you to be at least a little aggressive or get better at using the damage orb. The orbs give you some ranged options but mostly she's a very close range hero. I've definitely had situations where the enemy is far away, I pop an orb and feel a little useless for a few seconds. The teleport helps for this, obviously. Her ult is a lot of fun to use, and the fact that it both heals and does damage makes it really versatile.

Moira seems best as a second healer on a team. With a Lucio or Zen, it can be a really good combo at least from what I've seen. Mercy is probably better as a healer overall though, even with the nerf.

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's going to be interesting to see what kind of niche she ends up filling.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really like Moira's hurty orb. Getting it into a small area where it can bounce in place is surprisingly devastating. It's also a good time to play as her, as it seems a lot of players don't know how she works yet. I've killed so many Genjis and Widowmakers who try just standing slightly out of what they think is my reach with the hurty stream, haha. Invariably, I out-DPS them. I can't quite dial in her ult, though... I feel like I waste it every time and barely hurt/help anybody.

I'm not good with her, but she's fun. Like a more satisfying Symmetra (who I'm utterly hopeless with).

Alaley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Support? No. This .. woman .. flies out from the limit range throws their spheres (especially in confined spaces) and damages very even not bad. Get to her for the same Genji is not real, as she has a jerk that also gives her invisibility.

Are you losing the team battle? No matter Moira has ABSOLUTE SKILL that will destroy half of the enemy team and will raise hp up to 100% for your team.

Cool champion.

fatalbanana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I haven't played Overwatch since Orisa was added. If anything this has me wanting to get back into it. That doesn't really have anything to do with the character but I was really into Overwatch for a while there and just kind of fell off of it. Watching this trailer has interested to see if I can still get something out of it.

How is OW with casual players now all this time has passed? Can I expect to have a good time if I don't take it too seriously?

ShadyPingu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By ShadyPingu

Still adjusting to Moira's ability suite. I always pull the wrong damn trigger and end up shooting healing juice into an enemy's face.

tunaburn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I haven't played Overwatch since Orisa was added. If anything this has me wanting to get back into it. That doesn't really have anything to do with the character but I was really into Overwatch for a while there and just kind of fell off of it. Watching this trailer has interested to see if I can still get something out of it.

How is OW with casual players now all this time has passed? Can I expect to have a good time if I don't take it too seriously?

Honestly I feel like the community has gotten worse. I get ragers and trolls in around 1/3 of my games. Sometimes on the other team but thats still not fun.

fatalbanana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tunaburn said:
@fatalbanana said:

Honestly I feel like the community has gotten worse. I get ragers and trolls in around 1/3 of my games. Sometimes on the other team but thats still not fun.

Yeah, that's what I was afraid of thats a shame.

CJduke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

While I think the character seems awesome, especially since my favorite is zenyatta, it also makes me wonder how many more new heroes this game can have before it becomes to much. The nature of this game being a shooter makes it a lot different than mobas, I don't think Overwatch can support 40+ heroes, never mind 100+. Orisa and Moira have already been mashups of other heroes. Maybe they need to just release 2 characters a year instead of the roughly 4 a year pace they are on now.

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I love Moira, she has a very fun playstyle. She is sort of a flanking support which is interesting, you can play very aggressively because she has great mobility and health regen. As long as you are doing occasional damage she has extremely high healing output. It's also worth mentioning that her heal mist grants a slight heal-over-time effect for 4 seconds or so after you have stopped spraying someone so you can easily top people up without using more heal resources. I can definitely see myself picking her when the team needs a support.

I don't really see the comparison to Zenyatta, the similarities end with her having a "light" and "dark" ability but they function completely differently.