What's everyone's general feeling about the beta?

• 126 results
Sneakytank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By Sneakytank

Poll What's everyone's general feeling about the beta? (656 votes)

Liking it 68%
Meh 14%
Disliking it 2%
Haven't played it yet 15%

Personally I've been having a good time, but I'm worried it's going to get old fast.

• 
TheWyotee93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I've been getting into matches pretty quickly and the matches run smooth despite what I imagine to be droves of people playing.

mems1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's been pretty fucking great. You get into matches super fast and the characters are all different and fun to play.

My biggest worry is that this falls into the same hole as RB6 Siege and it doesn't have a variety of modes to play.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I accidentally played it all day.

So it's alright.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

Fired it up tonight and been having a surprisingly good time the three matches I played. Been a long time since I had fun like this in a multiplayer shooter. Helped that my team won all three. Need to play more to get a more complete feel for it.

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5  Edited By Onemanarmyy

it's alright, it runs great. The characters are pretty unique and good looking.

I just dislike the whole idea of having the same character multiple times on the same team. And it seems that a lot of maps turn into a corridor-shooter, where everyone just picks turrets to defend. Not very fun. And if i decide to play a roundbased shooter, i don't really want to switch heroes every minute. I want to play a round as 1 character.

Nick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I wish you could have more people in a match, what is it 6 or 7 per team? It's vaguely team fortress-ish but it would be cooler if you could have 16+ people per team.

Avatar image for machofantastico
MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

User Lists: 4

Having fun, especially on the PS4 that it runs at 60 which is great to see for a game like this. Credit to Blizzard for doing that.

I do worry that despite a great collection of characters there doesn't feel like a massive amount of depth which I was hoping. That said, it is meant to be a TF2 inspired sort of game so that makes some sense as the same can be said for TF2.

Still, a lot of fun with a great style.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#8  Edited By TheHT

Way into it!

Avatar image for deactivated-5dac8b1b10957
deactivated-5dac8b1b10957

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

If the competitive mode is done right, I think I'll probably drop a good 300 hours into this game. I'm a sucker for competitive modes in games, and Overwatch is really solid from the gameplay perspective. It took a few matches for me to get into it, though, which scares me. Initially it felt like a worse TF2... but with time it became something more than I expected. The hero interplay is actually pretty dynamic and interesting.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@efesell said:

I accidentally played it all day.

So it's alright.

This would have been me if not for work. It grew on me quickly that I just bought it anyways. Game looks great and runs smooth as butter and the classic Blizzard attention to detail is there with all of the audio and visual cues you could ever need to get tactical info ASAP

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ripelivejam

i'm fucking loving it. there's just something about this. it's hard to put my finger on. kinda does feel like i've come home again in that it's very TF2-ish, but there's enough new that it's refreshing and fun and i'm going to go play some more ttyl.

seriously i feel like i haven't felt this way about a game in a long time. it may just be the honeymoon but i'm totally ready to plop down $40 on it.

pretty sure bastion atm. love his trumpet sound with his ultimate!

l4wd0g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I'm enjoying it enough to think about picking up the retail game. I just wish the unlocks and stuff carried over.

2HeadedNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In a group with voice chat its pretty good. I like the overall look and most of the characters. My pet peeve is with the "Play of the Game" thingy. In theory I like it but as someone that usually fills roles and ends up playing support I will never see myself there because it just seems to be a "Get the most amount of kills in the shortest amount of time" replay. But thats just me, I realize even good support play is not particular flashy.

ivdamke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like it, but only really with friends. I also find some of it's design is just bad in areas. Most of the characters 'Ultimate' abilities are 'Press Q to get kills' which is just kind of boring. I also feel like Play of the Game should ignore anything involving Ultimate's because 95% of the time they're exempt from any skillful play and are just lucky timing on pressing Q when a few enemies walk through a doorway or go to cap a point. That's my major criticism with the game is it's got a bunch of mechanics that just favour making the player feel good rather than actually requiring good player execution. This results in the balance not feeling as tightly nit as I'd like. Then again every game on launch has balance issues so I need to give it more time.

Even though I enjoy what's there I don't $70 enjoy what's there so I probably won't ever end up getting it because Blizzard rarely does large price reductions on their games.

mrpandaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@2headedninja: I've totally got many support PotGs, but then again I played the beta a lot. While they weren't flashy they had been massively important like hitting Lucio's ultimate that helped the team hold onto the control point or Zenyatta's ult helping push the entire team forward. Not all of them were ult related. That being said, it's pretty hit or miss with the PotG. I haven't played the open beta, but did play a whole bunch of the closed. So I wonder if Torbjorn PotGs are still a huge thing.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's ok, but didn't really live up to expectations. If I were to pick up a game like this I think I'd probably rather play Battleborn, but matchmaking still completely ruins shooters for me. The 6v6 format doesn't help either. I get their reasoning for doing it (making each players actions matter), but it's so ass-backwards when you look at what it actually does, which is allowing small organized groups of people to dominate every game. When you're playing on a 20v20 server you might not be able to swing the game too much on your own, but at least those 2-3 friends playing together won't be able to do it either.

ivdamke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ares42 said:

2-3 friends playing together won't be able to do it either.

As someone who has played a lot of Battlefield over the years this is very untrue.

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I've only played a little of it on my own, but I'm digging it. I'm not really one to play a shitload of multiplayer, though, so I don't know that I'll buy it - I do have a bunch of friends who're intending to pick it up, though, which may sway me.

2HeadedNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By 2HeadedNinja

@mrpandaman said:

@2headedninja: I've totally got many support PotGs, but then again I played the beta a lot. While they weren't flashy they had been massively important like hitting Lucio's ultimate that helped the team hold onto the control point or Zenyatta's ult helping push the entire team forward. Not all of them were ult related. That being said, it's pretty hit or miss with the PotG. I haven't played the open beta, but did play a whole bunch of the closed. So I wonder if Torbjorn PotGs are still a huge thing.

Really? Thats interesting. Granted, I only played a couple of hours but I have never seen a Support there, it was always just X kills in Y seconds. I guess I have to try harder :)

gatehouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By gatehouse

I downloaded it last night, but for some reason it kept saying it was still installing. Anyone else had this on PS4? So, all I can say at the moment is that I really like the graphical style and that Tracer's accent is the worst I've heard this side of Dick Van Dyke.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

It's pretty much all I've been doing since tuesday. It's pretty ok ~

two_socks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't really like a lot of the maps and I think Payload as a game mode is just completely boring and awful, so I'm not really digging it. Glad it had an open beta though!

donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm really liking it. I was in the last round of beta before it was open and I liked it then too. I just really wish new people coming into the beta would stop treating it like a solo game and then getting mad that they rushed the point alone and got six dudes in their shit.

NeoCalypso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By NeoCalypso

@gatehouse: It does have to install for quite some time on the PS4. I think I had to leave it for about 15-20 minutes. Seems really shitty to just have a thing that says "installing" but have no percentage or progress bar or anything to indicate the game isn't just broken. Hell it's not even clear if it's still installing while you do the training stuff.

MindBullet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've never been a huge fan of these types of games, but all the hype around it convinced me to try out the beta. It's pretty good, for what it is. It has way more characters, and more of a focus on the classic tank/healer/damage class spectrum, but it really does seem like TF2 with a different coat of paint. Not that that's a bad thing, mind you. There's a reason people still talk about/play TF2. I'll probably have my fill of it during the open beta period, but I can see this being a fairly big deal for years to come.

Avatar image for definitelysacha
definitelysacha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm usually the type to shy away from such PVP type stuff but I've been missing the fun I used to have in Battlefield, way back. I also know that I'll never graduate from Everybody Quits Awful to Sorta Decent if I never play games of this type again. I'll totally give it a shot over this weekend. And if I end up bouncing off of it, I'll still admire the character designs.

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i didn't find it fun solo- if i had a crew i played with regularly i bet it's a hoot, but playing rando games didn't get any hooks in me.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

It's alright. I didn't think it was the second coming of gaming as some make it out to be but when you get a decent team it can be pretty fun.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gatehouse: It does have to install for quite some time on the PS4. I think I had to leave it for about 15-20 minutes. Seems really shitty to just have a thing that says "installing" but have no percentage or progress bar or anything to indicate the game isn't just broken. Hell it's not even clear if it's still installing while you do the training stuff.

The funny thing is that "install" is really just a second download. Confused me as well, until I decided to check the file size in the storage options of the main PlayStation menus, and I noticed the file size going up.

Destiny does this sort of thing as well, but they're much better about giving you an actual progress indicator.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's fine, was more fun on PC and when more shit was imba as always.

towolie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By towolie
SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@towolie said:

@spaceinsomniac: isn't it simply decompressing data during the install?

Actually, you're probably right. Either way, your file size is going up, and if you want to see a progress meter, you're going to have to look at your system storage menu.

towolie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spaceinsomniac: forgot to mention that i fully agree, to be honest i think all major consoles ( don't know about xbox 1 ) should take a look at how for example the steam download window looks.

Cameron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I only played a few matches yesterday, but it seems OK. I don't really like this kind of game, so the beta will probably be all I play. I don't like the way the guns feel, for the most part, which pretty much makes or breaks a shooter for me.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The queue time for the brawl is hilariously long, there's fucking two buttons.

morningstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Don't much care for it. Might just be that it's not for me.

IIGrayFoxII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I have mixed feelings about it. It feels good, has tons of character and the art design is fantastic, but so far it seems to be pretty standard shooter fair. Maybe because I am playing with a bunch of randoms, but it seems so chaotic most of the time.

I will give it more time this weekend.

My really fear is that 6 months from now nobody is playing this aka Titanfall, Evolve, RB6:Siege, Plants vs Zombies - the list goes on and on. Do you guys think Blizzard can keep a console audience in a very competitive shooter space? It has to compete with 2 Call of Duty games this year alone.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#40  Edited By Yummylee

@iigrayfoxii: FYI Titanfall was dead on arrival only on PC - it flourished on XB1. I can't speak to how it's doing now, but it's nonetheless unfair to lap it alongside such games as Evolve.

Avatar image for williamflattener
williamflattener

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It plays well, and works as a viable console TF2, in my opinion so far.

My only complaint so far is minor.

It's what I'll term the MOBA Character Design Problem: when there are so many weird design aesthetics playing tug-of-war for the spirit of the thing that it feels more like sock puppetry than an immersive game experience.

Battleborn is easily the worst offender in that space (just a big pile of primary colors and cartoonish archetypes that are recognizable from 300 yards), and Dota's design inconsistency puts me off in a big way (amplified by the "Totally-Not-A-Blizzard-Character" parody effect, too).

In Overwatch, a dwarf, Hank McCoy, and Mitsurugi can all be on my team simultaneously.

Again, I know the design is not the main point of a competitive shooter, but dammit, pick a palette!

KillEm_Dafoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

I love it. I thought it looked cool from the first time I saw it, but like with most multiplayer games, I was worried just how much of it was just "looks cool" versus "actually fun". This game has pulled me in more than any other since Battlefield 4. I'm having a ton of fun experimenting with the different charac...er, I mean "heroes", sorry. The map design is wonderful. Everything feels pretty balanced, which must've been a tall order considering the variability in each match. There is a counter for everything and I haven't felt frustrated or cheated at all yet. My only concern is that there won't be more varied modes and objectives than what's in the beta.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Now that I have played it a bunch I can say it's a good game.

Not a great game, certainly no TF2, but a good game.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's good and i like it a lot but it definitely has some issues. I think there needs to be something to either teach or force people to play a specific class(maybe that mystery heroes mode is that but i haven't been able to find a match yet). I always seem to get put on teams that don't really know how to play together or even the basics of the game mode (needing someone to stand in the circle to capture). I'm playing on ps4 so maybe it's just not getting the shooter fan attention and it's drawing in newer players but something definitely needs to be done to teach people how to play the characters IMO. I think some characters are OP when used by people with skill, like the turret robot has basically little downside to camping and just mowing people down. Healers for the most part don't seem to get a lot of credit for what they do, never see a play of the game involving them lol maybe do something to make them a bit more offensive or defensive to draw more people to the class as it is definitely needed.

Anyway, despite some minor stuff like that the game is really good. I never played TF2 but kinda wish i did if it was like this at all.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

@oursin_360: The Mystery Heroes mode is exactly that, when you spawn and die you have a hero chosen for you and you can't change it.

I totally disagree about Bastion, though. For anyone who has half an idea of what they are doing, a parked Bastion is a very easy target in almost any location. Once Bastion's location is known, it is super simple for anyone with a medium to long range attack to pop out and hit him. Not to mention that the Bastion turret has a critical strike weak point on it's back, so for anyone who flanks or for someone like Reaper it's practically a free kill.

darkjester74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I played it some last night, I think I like it. Was playing Seraph and was having a good time, need to try out the other characters tho. Personally I REALLY dig the character design, they look fantastic. The environments are kinda "meh" to me tho.

Quid_Pro_Bono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really love the game so far. I prefer shooters that are a little more methodical and tactical than the CoD super fast twitchy playstyle, so this is right up my alley. The variety in the characters makes every match fun, and most feel pretty viable, so it's not as if every match is the same 6 heroes over and over. I've taken to Bastion, Mercy, and Reinhardt so far. I'm going to spend a bit more time with some damage dealers to find one I enjoy playing, but so far in that camp it's just 76 and Pharah for me.

I'm not very concerned about the modes because they have most of the modes I'd want out of a shooter right now. I'm not a big deathmatch fan, so I'm pretty set with the objective focused modes they have in right now.

Assumedkilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pros:

• Looks greats (in art and technical)
  • Plays well too
  • The different characters feel nice

Cons:

• Matches too short
  • I thought it was going to be MOBA-like and less TF2/Unreal/Tribes: a skill tree and/or buying items that affect your build like in a MOBA would offer more strategy and less twitch
  • All game modes more or less feel like team deathmatch
  • Possibly lacks content and will get old fast (like Evolve)
L33T_HAXOR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

I was lukewarm at first but it's really growing on me. You have to learn how to change between a few different characters depending on how the match goes, I wasn't used to doing that but the game gets better the more I experiment with different characters.

As much as I like it though, I'm not sure I want to drop 60 bucks on it. And I'd much rather play on console than PC.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By OurSin_360

@mike said:

@oursin_360: The Mystery Heroes mode is exactly that, when you spawn and die you have a hero chosen for you and you can't change it.

I totally disagree about Bastion, though. For anyone who has half an idea of what they are doing, a parked Bastion is a very easy target in almost any location. Once Bastion's location is known, it is super simple for anyone with a medium to long range attack to pop out and hit him. Not to mention that the Bastion turret has a critical strike weak point on it's back, so for anyone who flanks or for someone like Reaper it's practically a free kill.

I don't know, i haven't seen it and i'm usually forced to play a healer when i'm up against it so I can't really do it myself usually. It's probably just my team make ups, last 5 or 6 sessions i've been on teams where people don't even know how to stand in the capture zone lol and i go up against well formed squads where they have the bastion set up with a healer and a bunch of dudes protecting it. I just think the damage it does needs to be nerfed to hell, or have a long ass reload time and short clip. Maybe it's just a console problem as i don't think people are used to this type of game, and i don't do much voice chat so i can't direct them. Honestly I think turrets are kinda OP in this game, they take way to much to take down IMO, then again that could be me having to use weaker classes most the time to try and balance the team.