• 61 results
Posted by Marino (7198 posts) -

It's been five years now that I've been writing guides for anyone and everyone who wants to get the most out of their Penny Arcade Expo experience. If you’ve seen one of my guides in the past, you likely know that I’ve been through ten E3s, two Dragon*Cons, one PlayStation Experience, and what is about to be my fifteenth PAX. As I've said before, even with all this personal experience at video game conventions and trade shows, it’s thanks to help from a lot of y’all that I think we’ve got this guide thing down to a science. Even so, if you have something to add or if you have any questions about anything, please post them below.

Boston

I know...it looks confusing if you're not from Boston.
I know...it looks confusing if you're not from Boston.

I've been to Boston many times even before PAX started coming there, and it's easily one of my favorite cities. If you've been to Prime/West, but not East, it's gonna be like bizarro world to you. At Prime, the airport is far away and the convention center is in the middle of everything downtown. In Boston, Logan International is a few minutes from the convention center, but it's about a mile walk from there into the heart of Boston where most of the fun stuff is.

If you're landing at the airport, you should almost definitely hop on the Silver Line. It's FREE going into the city from Logan and, if you were lucky enough to get a hotel near the convention center, it'll take you right past most of them. If you weren't so lucky, the Silver Line will drop you at South Station, which is a hub that will get you to basically anywhere else in the city. If you're going to be in town all week(end), throw $10 or $20 on MBTA "Charlie Card" since each ride you take is going to cost about $2.

Check for hotel on Google maps, locate the closest "T" station (it'll be real easy), and work backwards to South Station. Even if you're not a city kid, it's quite simple. If you need help, there's plenty of Boston natives hanging around on the site, so ask away in the comments below.

We probably won't have to deal with six feet of snow this year.
We probably won't have to deal with six feet of snow this year.

Giant Bomb @ PAX

No Caption Provided

You might spot a Giant Bomb staff member randomly on the show floor (just don't bother them if they're shooting something), but your best bet is one of these panels. There's at least one panel every day of the show that features at least one member of the staff, so no matter what day you're going to be at PAX, you've got a shot at seeing some or all of the Giant Bomb crew in person. Make sure you line up early (especially for the GB panel)!

When/WhereWhatWho

FRI - 2:00 PM

Condor

The Mario Maker World Championships: Klepek vs Ryckert

FRI - 7:30 PM

Albatross

Giant Bomb E3 2016 Planning Kickoff

• Roy's Boys

FRI - 9:00 PM

Albatross

Jackbox at PAX...box

• Jerry "Tycho" Holkins
  • Kris Straub
  • Nika Harper
  • Jeff Gerstmann
  • Paul & Storm

SAT - 9:00 PM

Albatross

404ing It: Breaking (Down) the Internet

• Pat Baer
  • Alexa Ray Corriea
  • Austin Walker
  • Eric Pope

SUN - 10:30 AM

Main

PAXAMANIA II: Yes, Even MORE Video Game Wrestling!

(Get all your PAXW news at PAXAMANIA.com!)

• Who Can Say?

SUN - 3:00 PM

Bumblebee

Let's Rank It!

The Giant Bomb panel at PAX Prime 2013. One of the best photos I've ever taken at PAX.
The Giant Bomb panel at PAX Prime 2013. One of the best photos I've ever taken at PAX.

The Enforcers

No Caption Provided

Enforcers are a legion of volunteers that make PAX run efficiently. It would be a hot mess without them. In the old days, they would don the black. But, now that there are multiple versions of PAX, East Enforcers are coated in red. If you need help with anything, just look for one of them. They’re never too far away. And if they ask you nicely to do something (like move out of an aisle/walkway), please do so.

They don't always wear armor like this guy to the right. Just most of the time.

#PAX

No Caption Provided

Even if you don’t normally use Twitter, you should sign up just to follow these accounts while you’re at PAX. It’s the best and easiest way to get up-to-the-minute updates on what’s going on.

• @official_pax - The important stuff.
  • @pax_lines - Updates on theatre/panel lines and when they get capped.
  • @rkhoo - The man that makes PAX happen.
  • @pax_tourney - News on the dozens of tournaments going on upstairs.
  • @paxparties - An unofficial feed for the unofficial parties going on all weekend.
Welcome home.
Welcome home.

The Packing List

Here's what you need to bring with you especially if you're coming in from out of town.

Money

No Caption Provided

Most places (including vendors in the expo hall) will take credit/debit cards, but it’s probably a good idea to carry a little cash just in case. And if you need to hit an ATM, do it early in the day as they sometimes run out of money later on.

Backpack

No Caption Provided

Whatever your style of choice is, bring one. Don’t rely on getting a free bag at the show. They’re often cumbersome and there’s no guarantee you’ll find one anyway. Trust me…carrying a bunch of random stuff you pick up throughout the day is going to suck without a backpack. Make it at least a 10-slotter. If it has weight reduction, all the better.

Phone & Charger

No Caption Provided

Duh. You need your phone. But don’t be a dumb and forget your charger and/or wall plug. Pro Tip: Turn your brightness down as far as you can tolerate. Keeping up with your friends at night through texts and/or Twitter is gonna be tough if your phone dies by 2 PM.

Battery Pack

No Caption Provided

Consider buying an external USB battery pack. It’s been a life saver for me the last couple years. Worth every penny. Plus, if you get an adapter, it'll keep your 3DS and/or Vita truckin' too.

3DS/Vita

No Caption Provided

Choose your weapon of choice…or dual wield! You will undoubtedly find some downtime (like waiting in line), and you will never be in a better place for local, handheld multiplayer. And then there’s StreetPassing. Oh…the StreetPassing. I see that green light flashing in my sleep.

Hand Sanitizer

No Caption Provided

There will be dispensers scattered around the buildings, but do yourself a favor and toss a little bottle in your bag and use it every time you play something.

Poster Tube

No Caption Provided

If you can fit it in your luggage, this is a veteran move. You might get a cool poster at PAX. You might even get it signed by Todd Howard. Make sure you have a way to get it home without crushing it.

Trash Bag

No Caption Provided

Yep. A trash bag. Just throw it in your luggage. Use it later for dirty clothes, which will keep your stank-ass, sweaty socks off of the cool stuff you bring back on the way home.

Bring your handheld console of choice. You never know who you might get to play with.
Bring your handheld console of choice. You never know who you might get to play with.

The Daily List

Here's a few things that you should do every day.

Shower/Deodorant

No Caption Provided

For the love of Bristlebane, please! It’s not difficult. You're probably paying an arm and a leg for that hotel room you got, so use those amenities.

Eat/Drink

No Caption Provided

Walking around for eighteen hours a day for three days requires fuel. It may sound crazy, but you might actually forget to eat and stay hydrated. There aren't a ton of options real close to the convention center. There is a food court on the north side of the convention center, but it's super crowded and generally shitty. There's carnival-type food in the back of the expo hall usually too. But, scope out some of the few nearby locations ahead of time and maybe hit those instead. Try to eat two actual meals a day and carry some snacks for in-between. Alternatively, you could attempt to live on Dunkin for three days.

Sleep

No Caption Provided

Time is precious at PAX, but you can’t go non-stop for 72+ hours. Try to get at least 5 or 6 hours a night.

Get Out

No Caption Provided

Don’t spend all of your time in the convention center. Get out of there once in a while, get some air, grab some real food, see some of the city, etc.

Be Yourself

No Caption Provided

There’s a special vibe that envelops PAX. If you’ve ever felt weird or strange about the nerdy things you love, know that you’ll never be in a place with more people that enjoy the same things that you do than you ever will be. So, be yourself. Talk to random people in lines. You’re going to have a blast. Welcome home.

That big red block is the convention center. It's about a mile from there to the Regina Pizzeria in the middle. As you can see, most of the food options are on the other side of the bridge.
That big red block is the convention center. It's about a mile from there to the Regina Pizzeria in the middle. As you can see, most of the food options are on the other side of the bridge.

The To-Do List

Now that you've got a checklist of what to bring and some daily advice, here's some tips on how to prepare.

Download Guidebook

No Caption Provided

Guidebook is the best, easiest way to keep up with all the official PAX info (schedule, maps, announcements, etc.) Plus, Dave & Coonce work there now, so you know it’s gotta be awesome.

Gameplan

No Caption Provided

The schedule is out now, so start making a list right now of the panels you may want to see and any potential games you want to play. Compare your list with your friends and get a rough idea of what you want to see and do. Inevitably, you’re going to have make some tough decisions as multiple things you’re interested in will overlap. Accept the fact now that you can’t see/do everything, but if you go in there with no plan at all, you’re going to be overwhelmed.

Plan a Backup

No Caption Provided

Shit happens. Panels get full faster than you thought. Lines get too long to be worth it. The game you wanted to play might actually just be a presentation. Try to have a backup whenever you can. If all else fails, just go spend some more time in…

The Indie Megabooth

No Caption Provided

Arguably the best part of PAX is the slew of indie games available. And, over the last couple years, the Indie Megabooth has established itself as a primary feature of PAX. It houses around 80 games from nearly as many developers and you could spend hours there. It’s also great because you can play a bunch of games without waiting too long. If you see an open station, play it! I don’t care what it is.

Escape the Expo

No Caption Provided

The expo hall is an amazing spectacle. No doubt about it. But, it's also a trap. Get the hell out of there and do some other stuff once in a while. PAX has so much to offer aside from the expo hall and you shouldn’t miss it. Head upstairs to the Classic Console and Console Freeplay rooms. Head to the back to the Tabletop arenas. You get the point. Go do stuff. New stuff.

The Indie Megabooth is always a good time!
The Indie Megabooth is always a good time!

The To-Don’t List

A couple little words of warning from a PAX veteran. You'll thank me later.

SWAG

No Caption Provided

We all love free stuff, but seriously…don’t be that guy. Don’t wait in line for 45 minutes to play a game you don’t care about just to get a shirt. And please don’t loiter around a headphone booth hoping to catch an inflatable hat. You will get free stuff without trying too hard, so don’t let SWAG ruin your PAX.

Lines

No Caption Provided

Okay, lines are unavoidable. If you want to do much of anything at PAX, you’re gonna wait in some lines. But, this is on the “don’t” list simply to help you make good decisions. Do you really need to wait in line for two hours to play Uncharted 4 when it will be out two weeks later? Maybe not. Do you really want to wait in line for an hour to watch a Deus Ex: Mankind Divided trailer that will be online Monday morning? Time is precious at PAX. Choose wisely.

It's a jungle out there.
It's a jungle out there.

The Optional List

Three PAX traditions that should not be ignored. Your interest will likely depend on who is involved, so take note.

Keynote

No Caption Provided

The “Storytime” session is typically a great opening ceremony for PAX, especially for first-timers. The Penny Arcade Q&A is once again immediately after this, so if you're a fan of those guys, you should probably go to the keynote to get a good seat. It's one of the few times they don't clear out a theatre before the next event. This year’s speaker is Jonathan Blow.

Music

No Caption Provided

On Friday and Saturday night, the Main Theatre will be rocking late into the night. Whether you know anything about the performers or not, the concerts are a great time especially if you don’t have any other late night plans. Friday’s lineup includes Bit Brigade, MC Frontalot, and The Protomen. Saturday night, you can see Sammus, Paul & Storm, The Doubleclicks, and Video Game Orchestra.

Omegathon Finals

No Caption Provided

The Omegathon is an elimination tournament that takes place throughout the entire weekend between a couple dozen attendees who were randomly selected prior to the show. The final game is always kept a secret until the very end. It’s usually a great closing ceremony, but it totally depends on the game. I’ve seen some great ones like Vs. Excitebike, Ikaruga, Trials Evolution, and (inexplicably) a stuffed animal crane game. But, I’ve also seen some pure train wrecks like Spaceteam and Cornhole. So, I can’t recommend it as much as I used to, but it still has the potential to be awesome.

At the 2012 Omegathon Finals, the greatest Crokinole match ever played took place.
At the 2012 Omegathon Finals, the greatest Crokinole match ever played took place.

<>

Well, that's all I've got. If you have any suggestions, comments, suggestions, or complaints, let me hear it. As always, hopefully this will help some people out and maybe I'll see some of you at PAX. Let me know if you spot my Mii in StreetPass too. I'll probably be the idiot who's most recently played game is Nintendo Fan Network. Anyway, it's gonna be a blast. Have fun. And remember...fog machines are banned now.

The Commish wants YOU to be ready for PAXAMANIA II
The Commish wants YOU to be ready for PAXAMANIA II

Staff
#1 Posted by DrDarkStryfe (2417 posts) -

Great guide as always Marino.

I'm excited for the fact there will not be monstrous piles of snow and blistering cold like year's PAX East had.

Avatar image for brewmaster_andy
#2 Posted by Brewmaster_Andy (623 posts) -

I think @matt and I need to pose for a new picture so your PAX guide can continue to feature our beautiful hugs.

#3 Posted by matt (1091 posts) -

I think @matt and I need to pose for a new picture so your PAX guide can continue to feature our beautiful hugs.

YUUUUUUUUUUUUUUP

#4 Posted by endoworks (355 posts) -

As always an awesome guide. Super excited for this years px east. Can come soon enough

#5 Posted by Snail (8908 posts) -

So "Giant Bomb E3 2016 Planning Kickoff" is the GB Panel?

#6 Posted by Jesus_Phish (3703 posts) -

Any idea if any of these panels will get streamed?

Excellent write up btw.

#7 Posted by buttle826 (279 posts) -

Thanks for the guide! Going to PAX for the first time this year, and this is extremely helpful

#8 Posted by hassun (9653 posts) -

All I want to know is if the LONG awaited PAX @danryckert vs Xavier Woods Mario Kart contest is still on.

#9 Posted by Jesus_Phish (3703 posts) -

@hassun: It's listed as one of the two events under PAXAMANIA II.

#10 Posted by turboman (9692 posts) -

This'll be my first PAX. What's the ideal waiting time for GB panel for good seats and is there usually a GB meetup?

#11 Posted by Marino (7198 posts) -

@snail said:

So "Giant Bomb E3 2016 Planning Kickoff" is the GB Panel?

Yes.

@turboman said:

This'll be my first PAX. What's the ideal waiting time for GB panel for good seats and is there usually a GB meetup?

There is an art to this. The Enforcers will not allow people to line up for a panel until the line for the previous panel goes inside. So, the previous panel is Dropped Frames Live at 6:00 PM. Their line should be going inside shortly after the panel before that (some Polaris thing) ends at 5:30 PM. This means you need to stealthily loiter around the area around that time and be ready to jump into the GB line as soon as it "officially" starts.

Any idea if any of these panels will get streamed?

Excellent write up btw.

Panels in the Main Theatre will be streamed on http://twitch.tv/pax.

Panels in the Albatross Theatre will be streamed on http://twitch.tv/pax2.

No other rooms will have streaming as far as I know.

Staff
#12 Posted by rentfn (1404 posts) -

Great write up as always. I share this with everyone I know that is new to pax. Thanks for doing it each year!!! Hope to see you in the merch line again!!!

#13 Posted by hassun (9653 posts) -
#14 Posted by BigDaveisCheap (79 posts) -

Great job as always.

I would add that I really encourage people to take the BCEC Restaurant Trolleys. They're free (maybe tip your driver) and run on a very regular schedule. They take you to some great restaurants that are generally not easily walkable, and get you to some close by places a lot faster than walking. Never had dumplings in an authentic big city China town? Wanna go to a Boston neighborhood pub a little off the beaten path? Want to taste a Harpoon beer straight from the brewery? Looking for some of that authentic Boston seafood? Well just take one of the trolleys there and make it happen.

I really highly recommend doing this at least one day during PAX. I find the ride there and back and sitting down in a real restaurant to be super relaxing in the middle of an otherwise hectic day.

Also, if you really want a certain bit of swag and just can't live without it then stand in line for it on Friday. Do not wait because things definitely run out.

Otherwise just be safe, respect other people, DO NOT STOP IN THE MIDDLE OF A BUSY WALK WAY TO CHAT WITH YOUR FRIENDS OR I WILL SHOULDER TACKLE YOU, and just have some fun.

#15 Posted by MonkeyKing1969 (7355 posts) -

If you want 'good' quality Dim Sum go to Hei La Moon. If you wanna get dirty while you roll with the 'we don't give a damn' side of Chinatown, then go to China Pearl. The China Pearl's food can be really uneven and if you are not used to Dim Sum eating it might be intimidating. However, it is raw & gritty which makes it an adventure!

#16 Posted by Jesus_Phish (3703 posts) -
#17 Posted by Humanity (18267 posts) -

Made this for Pope a while back

No Caption Provided

#18 Edited by GERALTITUDE (5980 posts) -

Wow amazing guide this year. They're always great but this is A+! Really wish I could afford to go to one of these things... >< I want to go home too.

#19 Posted by jamin (484 posts) -

Anyone news of a Giant Bomb meetup or if they will be at a particular party? Last year was harmonix is it going to be the same this year?

#20 Posted by hassun (9653 posts) -
#21 Posted by Th3irdEye (280 posts) -

GB panel seems short and early this year. Wonder what's up with that.

#22 Posted by jamin (484 posts) -

@th3irdeye: I think the time is the same but you are right it is short. The only thing is though the next show after it is at 9 so maybe they plan on going longer?

#23 Posted by DrDarkStryfe (2417 posts) -

@th3irdeye: It looks like the PAX folks cut back on length of panels to get more in this year.

#24 Posted by jamin (484 posts) -
#25 Edited by Marino (7198 posts) -

@jamin724 said:

@th3irdeye: I think the time is the same but you are right it is short. The only thing is though the next show after it is at 9 so maybe they plan on going longer?

There is always a 30 minute gap in between each panel. This is because they empty the room before the next panel begins. This means it is also unlikely that anyone the Giant Bomb panel audience will get to see Jeff on the Jackbox panel.

Staff
#26 Posted by jamin (484 posts) -

@marino: I was wondering if they were going to empty the room or we could just chill in there. I figured to be fair it would be emptied. Though I would like to see both.

#27 Posted by Th3irdEye (280 posts) -

@jamin724: Usually the show is at 9PM and goes to 11PM. Also there is nothing after it so If they go a bit over time it ends up being OK. This year they only get an hour and there is a show after theirs so they can't even go over a little if necessary.

#28 Posted by hermithomeboy (44 posts) -

Argggh!! My brother and I weren't able to obtain Sunday tickets :( Please tell me there still a way to get in to attend PAXAMANIA II. I don't want to lose hope.

#29 Posted by Dixavd (2875 posts) -

...Has Mario Maker replaced Mario Party? :(

#30 Posted by stackboy (752 posts) -

Been to a couple of PAX Easts and my first PAX Aus was last year. Will check in on this thread from time to time to join in the fun, have a great time!

#31 Posted by jamin (484 posts) -

@hermithomeboy: check ebay or craigslist anything like that. They just announced people going into the omegathon so they get free tickets and will have to sell theirs. Besides getting a badge you won't be able to get into the building and man what a show to miss.... I feel sorry

#32 Posted by Darth_Navster (883 posts) -

@dixavd: Never. Jeff actually enjoys Mario Maker.

#33 Posted by Marino (7198 posts) -

@dixavd said:

...Has Mario Maker replaced Mario Party? :(

Mario Party would take several hours and they don't have a place to do that like they did in Seattle last year.

Staff
#34 Posted by NeverGameOver (874 posts) -

I hope they announce an afterparty of some sort. It does kinda seems like a reduced GB presence this year, relative to prime at least. I'm sure I'll have fun regardless though.

P.S. One of my buddies just punched out so I may have an extra ticket for Friday / Sunday. PM me.

#35 Posted by Dalai (7869 posts) -

@nevergameover: I believe @rorie has said via Twitter that an afterparty is unlikely due to limited venues near the convention center, but unlikely doesn't mean it's not happening so who knows. If there's one, I'm sure there will be an announcement. If it was anything like the last time they attempted an afterparty during PAX East, it will be a nightmare on several fronts.

#36 Posted by Rorie (5407 posts) -

@dalai said:

@nevergameover: I believe @rorie has said via Twitter that an afterparty is unlikely due to limited venues near the convention center, but unlikely doesn't mean it's not happening so who knows. If there's one, I'm sure there will be an announcement. If it was anything like the last time they attempted an afterparty during PAX East, it will be a nightmare on several fronts.

I really doubt we'll have one! I'm not going to be in attendance personally, so I wouldn't be setting it up, and as mentioned above, the last time we tried it it didn't go too well. Ultimately I think there needs to be more venues within walking distance of the convention center to make it feasible for us on the budgets we have to work with. Hopefully they'll get there in a year or two!

Staff
#37 Posted by NeverGameOver (874 posts) -

@rorie said:
@dalai said:

I really doubt we'll have one! I'm not going to be in attendance personally, so I wouldn't be setting it up, and as mentioned above, the last time we tried it it didn't go too well. Ultimately I think there needs to be more venues within walking distance of the convention center to make it feasible for us on the budgets we have to work with. Hopefully they'll get there in a year or two!

Thanks for the response, Rorie. That's a shame because I'd hoped to meet you guys.

Perhaps it's because I live in Boston, but I'm not really following on the lack of close venues though. The Seaport is one of the most common areas to go out in the entire city behind Fenway and Fanuiel Hall (which usually draw younger, college-age, crowds), and so there are quite a few bars near the convention center. Off the top of my head: Atlantic Beer Garden, Whiskey Priest, City Bar, Barking Crab, Drink, the Harpoon Brewery, Row 34, and Tamo are all within like 2-3 blocks of the convention center. I do suppose it's not the cheapest area though, so I guess that could be a problem. Oh well, too late for this year but perhaps it'd be worth your while to take another look at it next year.

#38 Edited by RonGalaxy (4935 posts) -

Does anyone know if the klepek v ryckert panel is getting streamed or recorded? That seems like a shitshow everyone should see.

#39 Posted by Marino (7198 posts) -

@rongalaxy: Almost definitely will not be streamed. I don't want to get hopes up (because I have no confirmation of this), but I would bet either Drew or Vinny will be around to record it. We'll see.

Staff
#40 Posted by hassun (9653 posts) -
Loading Video...

So it looks like no Xavier Woods after all...

Those are some quality Trump/Gawker Lawsuit references though.

#41 Posted by jamin (484 posts) -

@nevergameover: They did it at the Whiskey priest 2 years ago. I had a blast but it was sort of a mess because 1/2 the crew was upstairs which people had to wait in line to go upstairs also you couldn't bring your drinks from downstairs to upstairs.. I never really waited to long but I was also drunk and don't remember. Also I heard a lot of people were turned away but I got there early as hell to get in.

#42 Posted by hassun (9653 posts) -
Loading Video...

#43 Posted by patbaer (189 posts) -

Please come to 404ing It on Saturday! It's gonna be a good one!

Also come to PAXAMANIA II because that's a big space! Dang!

#44 Edited by InternetDotCom (3962 posts) -

Maybe not an update all of you used in years past but if you used the MBTA late night weekend service that no longer exists. Most train services have returned to the old 12:30 AM times if you were out at those times for PAX

Also since last PAX South Station has a new bar/mexican restaurant. Opposed to the one bar that was there last year that is always full

@jamin724@nevergameover I also got really drunk at that whisky priest event two years ago with the long line then almost fell asleep because I decided to sit down somewhere and watch a halo tournament the next day. Whisky Priest's layout between upstairs and downstairs caused problems that no one for Giant Bomb could really control. Some of those other places tend to get consumed by bigger sites/games

Also you have to keep in mind Celtics have playoff games 2 days during PAX East which likely changes a lot of bars views on PAX stuff this year.

As Rorie already said the bar options for the needs of giant bomb are lacking in the area of convention center. Anything they would want to do would require a subway trip for everyone.

#45 Posted by Sanj (3235 posts) -
#46 Edited by hassun (9653 posts) -
Loading Video...
Loading Video...

#47 Posted by BBOYS2231 (360 posts) -

Great write up @marino! I'll be there for Paxamania Sunday. Hopefully I'll be able to meet some fellow duders as the GB crew. I'm always a bit hesitant to just jump up and say hi after the panel as I know it's Sunday and the team is probably heading out.

#48 Edited by Snail (8908 posts) -

This is going to be my first PAX. Generally, how early would you line up for the Giant Bomb panel to get good seats? Thanks!

#49 Edited by Marino (7198 posts) -

@snail said:

This is going to be my first PAX. Generally, how early would you line up for the Giant Bomb panel to get good seats? Thanks!

@marino said:

There is an art to this. The Enforcers will not allow people to line up for a panel until the line for the previous panel goes inside. So, the previous panel is Dropped Frames Live at 6:00 PM. Their line should be going inside shortly after the panel before that (some Polaris thing) ends at 5:30 PM. This means you need to stealthily loiter around the area around that time and be ready to jump into the GB line as soon as it "officially" starts.

Staff
#50 Posted by jamin (484 posts) -

Tomorrow is the day!!!! Cannot wait to see you guys!