• 88 results
#51 Edited by Tennmuerti (9455 posts) -

It simply isn't for me, anything that's good with a controller I already play with a controller. Anything that's designed for a mouse like a strategy game or a fast fps I would never play with just essentially a good touch pad, the interaction speed gap is just too wide. Four a couch/bed there are wireless mice and keyboards. There is just 0 use cases.

#52 Posted by mellotronrules (2567 posts) -

wait for some impressions first. if they're generally positive, i'm in!

#53 Posted by MATATAT (1225 posts) -

I mostly bought one to see what it was like. It's just such a crazy take on a controller.

#54 Posted by sk3pt1kal (8 posts) -

I'll probably get it around christmas unless the reviews of it are flaming garbage, which I don't think will really happen. It's gonna be for some people and not for others. I am really excited to use something where I can shoot AND drive in the same game. In GTA I play with kb+m when i'm shooting, and switch to controller when I'm driving. I can't imagine it being a bad quality product, but I can't imagine it selling gang busters and actually mattering long term.

#55 Posted by personandstuff (640 posts) -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKKvqhCKbSw

Gamespot got one. Which means Jeff can steal that shit.

#56 Posted by Cold_Wolven (2530 posts) -

I wouldn't mind getting my hands on one as I'm curious how ergonomic it is and how accurate the trackpads are. Might get one when it becomes widely available.

#57 Posted by Loafsmooch (545 posts) -

I think this is the way controllers should be. Twin sticks just feel so goddamn obsolete and stupid at this point. This thing bridges the gap to the precision and speed of a mouse. I really hope this works out and that Sony and Microsoft are taking notes for their future consoles.

#58 Posted by Rotnac (1264 posts) -

I have no immediate interest in getting one. I'm perfectly happy using a wireless xbox 360 controller for some games and kb/mouse for others. I find the concept/idea of mixing the feedback and accuracy of a kb/mouse with a controller pretty silly but I certainly know of some people who refuse to play PC shooters without a controller so maybe this is for them.

#59 Posted by mrroach (237 posts) -

Just got mine in the mail today. So far, it feels very unnatural to use. I think a large part of it is just due to my hands already being used to more conventional controllers and needing time to adjust to the very different spacing and feel.

The right touchpad is very difficult to wrangle and doesn't seem to map well to what I'm expecting regardless of the different settings I've chosen (the settings range from "oh, god, what's happening" to "this feels weird"). The most common issue I'm having is that I don't start dragging the virtual thumbstick from close enough to the center, so it doesn't register at all. Mouse mode doesn't have that problem, but has its own set of issues for 1st and 3rd person type games.

The bumpers make the xbone controller's bumpers feel mushy by comparison, but the inner buttons are pretty cool, so I'd probably remap the bumpers there instead.

Overall, it does not seem at all like a drop-in replacement for existing controllers, so I'm going to have to decide whether it's worth the investment to build the muscle memory for this.

#60 Edited by nickhead (1257 posts) -

I got mine today as well. I also think it just feels unnatural and frankly pretty cheap. The bumpers and 'triggers' just feel...off. I really don't want to write it off yet though. I played FTL to see how the track pad would hold up and surprisingly it worked. I'm not sure how I feel about the constant rumble when using the track pad. And speaking of rumble, does this controller not have a typical rumble?? I do think it's pretty cool that the community can share their custom controller configurations.

I also got a steam Link and that thing is mostly useless over wifi. I didn't even have it far from my router and with 50 mbs internet it still had significant lag and artifacting on the lowest stream setting.

#61 Posted by CornBREDX (7361 posts) -

After reading some reviews and impressions on it I'm gonna have to say no. It seems more unimpressive the more I read about it.

#62 Posted by himynameiswill (5 posts) -

Just got mine today, and after messing around with it for less than an hour, I don't think it's safe for me to continue using it. In order for my thumb to have full mobility over the right trackpad, I had to hold the controller in such a way that it pushed right into the center of my palm, restricting blood circulation. My hand was very numb, though I didn't really notice it until I stopped holding it. I can't imagine how much worse it would have been if I had been using the controller for longer. My hands aren't that small either (ftr I'm 5'7). I wouldn't be surprised if more complaints like this crop up as more people get their hands on it, and Valve is forced to issue a recall.

#63 Posted by Devil240Z (5704 posts) -

The steam controller seems bad for racing games.

#64 Posted by Justin258 (15618 posts) -

I watched that and it can pretty much be summed up by "yeah, some games are playable, and you could totally use it to play Civ V and other turn-based games from the couch, but anything requiring finer movement than that isn't going to work well".

#65 Posted by Mcfart (2064 posts) -

@personandstuff said:

I watched that and it can pretty much be summed up by "yeah, some games are playable, and you could totally use it to play Civ V and other turn-based games from the couch, but anything requiring finer movement than that isn't going to work well".

i don't think anyone's clamoring to play civ 5 from the couch lol

#66 Edited by Mike (17990 posts) -

@mcfart said:
@believer258 said:
@personandstuff said:

i don't think anyone's clamoring to play civ 5 from the couch lol

Then you would definitely be wrong. And Civ V isn't the only super popular mouse & keyboard PC game that people are looking forward to playing with a controller. Crusader Kings II, Europa Universalis IV, basically all of the popular turn-based strategy games have had people asking for controller support since day one so they can do exactly that. Besides, have you looked at the numbers for the most played games on Steam? There are over 40,000 people playing Civ V right now. The demand for this thing is much greater than you think it is!

Moderator Online
#67 Posted by personandstuff (640 posts) -

There some more positive first impression videos out there. In the gamespot video, he's using the right pad as stick in an fps, rather than a mouse. Which doesn't make sense. Steam controller seems like it takes some configuring and getting used to. Some of that will come with community binding and developer support. Big problem is a lot of people are saying the controller works best with gamepad on the left and a mouse on the right trackpad. Which some games just don't support.

I really wish I had one right now.

#68 Posted by OurSin_360 (6131 posts) -

I wonder how well it works for MMO's and M/KB heavy rpg type games. I would get it for that, I could never get into swtor or games like that because my arm would cramp to much trying to play with the keyboard and mouse.

#69 Posted by silentflare (19 posts) -

I honestly see no point in getting one, i already have a keyboard and mouse for strategy or simulation games, and for everything else i have an xbox one controller right here.

It also does not help that for the price of a Steam Controller, i could buy other games that i can perfectly play with what i have.

#70 Edited by Mike (17990 posts) -

I went into a Gamestop today specifically to ask about Steam Controllers. Normally I try to avoid Gamestop unless there is a really good reason for me to go there over anyplace else, such as if I have a gift card or there is a gun to my head, but since they are going to be the exclusive retail distributors of the Steam Controller, it left me little choice.

Take this with a grain of salt, because this information is just coming from the two employees I spoke with at one Gamestop store in San Francisco, but as of Sunday 18 OCT, the Steam Controller and Steam Link can no longer be preordered in the Gamestop system. According to the Gamestop employees, they said that this tends to happen when Gamestop corporate isn't sure about how much stock they are going to receive of an item. They told me that my best bet is going to be to start calling the store a couple of days in advance of the 10 NOV retail launch of the Steam Controller to see if they get them in stock, and how many. They also told me that not only had no one preordered a Steam Controller through their store, but that I was the first person who had even asked them about it. I thought that was kind of weird, but maybe not that surprising given that this is new PC accessory and Gamestop is mainly focused on consoles. I'm still surprised they sell Steam Wallet cards, which by the way at this particular store are kept in a drawer and not in sight at all.

I really do want one of these controllers, and I guess my options are to either preorder it from Valve, or wait and see if any Gamestop stores around here happen to get some in stock next month. I suppose the prudent thing to do would be to preorder a controller directly from Valve, and then I could just cancel it if I happen to find one at retail before it ships to me. The big question I have right now is that I'm just not sure how fast Valve is going to be in shipping these things out to people who didn't preorder them.

As an aside, let me take a moment to give a big middle finger to Valve for choosing Gamestop as the exclusive retail distributor for their hardware. Really, guys? Gamestop? I would have loved to have sat in on the meeting where that was discussed.

cc: @gravytrain

Moderator Online
#71 Posted by bybeach (6340 posts) -

If I get the steam controller, it's just going to be from Valve. Combination of no hurry, convenience, and especially habit. Amazon has fried my mind.

#72 Posted by EVILGibson (3 posts) -

I had to jump out of Rebel Galaxy to come to this forum to give an example of the Steam controller and the customization options.

The right haptic pad was not working out for me to control the camera in Rebel Galaxy. I explored the options of how much I can configure the pad just expecting just simple reassign buttons or other bullshit.

I found a customizers paradise. I saw the Gyroscope input was not being used and I said to myself, "No way, this will be awesome if it works".

Set gyroscope to copy the right stick, set the tilt to linear movement (other options being aggressive, relaxed, wide, extra wide. Really it's asking how quickly do you want to go 100% extreme joystick tilt in relation to the gyro tilt), left the tons of awesome options default such as the dead zone areas (how far do you tilt before it just ignores further gyro tilt), anti-deadzone buffer, the angle of neutral, and what shape I want my dead zone to be.

I am now in broadside mode not even touching the right pad to turn my camera. I'm just tilting the entire controller. Tilt a tiny bit, slowly pivot my camera. Tilt a ton, I am spinning in a circle giving myself whiplash.

After people start publishing and sharing their own configs (Like I just did for Rebel Galaxy!) to Steam the controller I can see taking off making some games way easier to access.

#73 Posted by SSully (5627 posts) -

I kind of like it. The amount of customization they give you is really incredible and I have been able to find a pretty good balance for most games I've played so far. I won't be using it for shooters or DOTA, but it's working pretty well for everything else.

#74 Edited by Mike (17990 posts) -

@evilgibson: Speaking of Rebel Galaxy, I can't seem to get that game to recognize the Steam Controller at all. I'm playing the GOG version as a non-Steam game. I set my configuration and launch Rebel Galaxy in Big Picture, but then the game expects keyboard inputs and nothing on the controller works. On the other hand, if I start the game up with a regular 360 controller turned on, it works fine. I'm sure it's just the way I have the controller configuration set up, which leads us to another problem - there is currently no way to view or use community configurations for non-Steam games. Which really sucks, because I buy as many games as possible on GOG.

I'm going to have to try out your configuration, it seems like fun. I'm still surprised that more people aren't talking about the gyro functionality yet, because I think it's the one thing that truly sets the Steam Controller apart from everything else. I described it to a friend of mine as it being like Sony's Sixaxis, only the user is given complete control over exactly how it is used. The first thing I did was test it out in a shooter by setting the gyro to mouse movement while touching the right pad for fine-tuning aiming. It works very well, and with a little practice it was far better than any existing controller. Still not as good as mouse and keyboard, but I was happy with how well it was working out after only a few minutes of practice.

Regarding the complaint in this thread that the controller was too large or shaped poorly and it was cutting off circulation in the user's hand, that definitely isn't a problem for me. In fact, when I first got the thing in my hands, I was surprised at how small it was compared to what I was expecting. It's completely comfortable for me. The button placement is definitely going to take getting used to, but that's no different than it would be using any new controller.

Moderator Online
#75 Posted by Dave_Tacitus (2445 posts) -

@mike said:

As an aside, let me take a moment to give a big middle finger to Valve for choosing Gamestop as the exclusive retail distributor for their hardware. Really, guys? Gamestop? I would have loved to have sat in on the meeting where that was discussed.

cc: @gravytrain

Over here they're using GAME and, with pre-orders anyway, you can only buy the thing as part of a bundle. Don't think I've been in a GAME store in 2015.

#76 Posted by gravytrain (285 posts) -

@dave_tacitus: Yeah such a weird decision. They should have gone with places like Amazon instead. I don't think the type of crowd that this caters to actually goes to Gamestop.

Avatar image for deactivated-5835c1f29813e
#77 Posted by deactivated-5835c1f29813e (42 posts) -

Ordered one last week, as I'm always interested in trying out new tech (can't freakin' wait for VR!) and have a bunch of faith in Valve. Probably going to try and play Fallout 4 with it as my first experiment.

#78 Posted by akjandl (3 posts) -

I got my Steam Controller last week and have ended up having a really positive experience. After I spent a long time getting used to it. At first I was having trouble with the right track pad being all over the place and really imprecise. I soon realized that using the right track pad as a mouse in trackball mode is what feels the most natural to me. The mouse sensitivity should be turned almost all the way down in whatever game you are playing and use Steam to adjust the mouse sensitivity. This helped it feel a lot less "floatey." It was also really hard for me to get my thumb used to swiping directly horizontal. After a few days though my muscle memory is getting stronger and I am able to reliably "throw" the camera from side to side without ending up looking at the ground or sky. The track pad is actually pretty great but it take a fair amount of practice to get good with.

Besides the right track pad, the placement of the face buttons is the next largest hurdle to get over. Honestly, they are in a bad place, but I'm not sure there is a better layout they could have used considering the size of the track pad. It is what it is. Honestly though, it doesn't really end up being that big of a deal. There are so many options for customizing the inputs on this controller. It's crazy! For the most part it is easy to make button mappings that allow you to ignore the face buttons entirely. If you use this controller I think you need to try very different button placements than what would traditionally be on a 360 controller.

All in all, I really like the Steam Controller so far. I think some of the negative reactions from people who have tried it for a short period of time are understandable. It doesn't feel familiar at first and if you try to use normal button mappings you will likely be disappointed. After about a week with the thing , I think I might prefer it to a 360 controller. The right track pad is very accurate, and is definitely better than an analog stick in my opinion. Is it better than a mouse? No, and I don't think that's a reasonable expectation. When you use a mouse there are so many more muscles being employed to make fine movements. One thumb is not going to work better. The track pad does add more control than an analog stick though, which is good enough for me.

If you get one, go into it with an open mind and be ready to come up with creative button mappings. Or hopefully someone else will already have taken care of that for you already.

#79 Posted by Mike (17990 posts) -
Moderator Online
#80 Posted by gravytrain (285 posts) -

@mike: Oh nice, same price as over on Steam but with free shipping instead of paying 5 bucks, that's pretty sweet.

#81 Posted by Sin4profit (3501 posts) -

@akjandl: i'd recommend what i'm calling a three layered aiming system; swipe for 180 turns, touch pad for 90 degree corner checking, and the gyro for precision aiming. I just wish users could make their own templates so i could have all my settings apply across all FPS games. Having to configure my personal settings everytime i start a new game is pretty obnoxious.

I've also messed with FSX to see how far i could go with the Steam controller on a flight sim and the Steam controller makes flying flight sims with a controller a viable option. i still want to test DCS with the Steam Controller and i think the biggest test will be Arma 3.

Avatar image for insane_shadowblade85
#82 Posted by insane_shadowblade85 (1710 posts) -

I'm waiting to hear if it's good or not. It looks neat but yeah, I'm holding off until I hear and see more from people that purchased it. I'm assuming GB will do something on it.

#83 Posted by Mike (17990 posts) -

I've also messed with FSX to see how far i could go with the Steam controller on a flight sim and the Steam controller makes flying flight sims with a controller a viable option. i still want to test DCS with the Steam Controller and i think the biggest test will be Arma 3.

I think ArmA III would be feasible thanks to the extensive customization options available combined with the ability to set a shift button to map more than one function to each button.

Moderator Online
#84 Posted by Sin4profit (3501 posts) -

@mike: i think it'll be ok, the problem i'm expecting is from switching between infantry movement and vehicles. really wish there was a system where i could swap profiles on the fly as the Steam controller supports a diverse set of controlling options but only as long as the scenarios don't change within the game, i'll see what i can come up with, though.

#85 Posted by Strathy (188 posts) -

Nuppers.

#86 Edited by technics (35 posts) -

Hey guys, I wasn't aware this discussion was also for owners of the Steam Controller already. I posted my opinion in a separate poll thread. I created the poll since I figured my single opinion is not sufficiently convincing of any opinion. I chose "'PRO'troller". You can still vote on the poll, though the discussion is locked (it's redundant to this discussion). The answers are actually in a gradient of "I really love it" to "I'd rather use a Xbox Controller". I just really like shitty puns.

#87 Edited by technics (35 posts) -

I'm also keeping a personal list of games I've tried, differentiating them from "Good" experiences to "Bad". Nothing is at the point of more nuanced adjectives yet :P.

Good:

-Hearthstone

-The Witcher 3

-MGSV

-Google Chrome*

-Rebel Galaxy

Bad:

-Undertale**

-Counter-Strike: Global Offensive

-Adobe Photoshop (I'm serious, had to try)

-Sniper Elite 3

*Steam Controller is pretty good for browsing around actually

**I had to turn on "analog sticks movement only" on for it to work. You can't exit the game without a keyboard (no "ESC" key on the controller). The D-Pad is large on the Steam Controller anyways so I'm not sure how that would've gone. With analog stick only, it was hard to control movement precisely enough, ironically.

Let me know if you have any questions about specific games I listed or games you'd like someone to try and report back about. If I have it, I'll try it.

#88 Posted by OurSin_360 (6131 posts) -

I went out and got one from gamestop the other day (had a 25 dollar gift card so why not?) and so far i can't really get my mind around this thing lol. It definitely has a lot of options for tweaking but as someone who doesn't understand half of the stuff to tweak it's kinda daunting.

The button placements definitely feel odd since i'm so used to the standard controller scheme, i'm often hitting the wrong button since i don't have the muscle memory for the layout yet. Still having trouble tweaking the mouse settings for the right track pad, haven't found anything that feels right yet and like i said i don't understand all the settings 100% yet. I find that the bumpers feel odd since they are so huge compared to other controllers but I'm sure it's something to get used to, although i found mapping them to the back buttons felt alot better (specifically in Victor Vran where the left bumper is to dodge).

Any tips or good places to get tips for configs since most people have had this thing for a good while now?

#89 Edited by cindyvg (49 posts) -

I think yes I'm going to try it. As trying these things are fun dude and are needed to be used widely.