Building a better battlestation

BeasMeeply

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Hello dudes! I guess first, I’m not actually a “battlestation” person, but this is a better title than “building a better desk”.

In addition to games, I am also a hobbyist woodworker. I recently built a new desk for my wife, and was rewarded with permission to build a new PC. I don't keep up with hardware too much, so I just used PCPartPicker to get "a good one" for each of the components. For the case, I opted for "the big one". I put it all together and after the usual round of nearly catastrophic boot troubleshooting, everything's great! Except the case was two inches too tall to fit under my desk where I want it to be.

I had some nice ash boards on hand that I had intended to use for a wall cabinet, but figured they'd work for a desk just as well. Here's the before and after:

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Just wanted to share!

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

very nice! i'm jelly of your carpentry skills. is woodworking in your family, or is it something you've taken on yourself? (i might be toying with the idea of having a new hobby, and i can't imagine something more satisfying than designing and building your own furniture).

Avatar image for ralphmoustaccio
RalphMoustaccio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Excellent, duder! How do you open the drawers? Are they on a push-spring mechanism?

BeasMeeply

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By BeasMeeply

I actually got into woodworking as a side effect of amateur astronomy! Buying a large telescope that works properly is super expensive, so I tried making my own and enjoyed it.

It’s the kind of hobby where you can spend as much as you want to. You can get a lot done with a hand saw and a drill and pine boards from Home Depot, but it’s hard to go back once you’ve smoothed a bit of Honduran mahogany with a colonial era plane and finished it with oil and wax. The sense of improvement through trial is also really appealing as an RPG fan. There are about 18 months of learning between my wife’s first desk and the one I recently completed:

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Edit: Also, yup, the drawers are all touch open.

ClarkBowen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Impressive job done by you.

For me, I find things easily with clustered desk.

applegong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Great job duder, especially like how there's a base for your comp to offset it above the carpet. Very nice touch!

Bane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Nice work! The only woodworking experience I have is I built my entertainment center with help from my dad and grandpa. It was pretty fun!

I've always preferred having the tower outside of the legs. I used to have it where you do now, but I was always banging into it with my legs.