Does your PC have an optical drive?

• 98 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

WynnDuffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Does your PC have an optical drive? (601 votes)

Yes 63%
No 37%

I bought a case without optical bays so I don't have one. Recently I wanted to rip some of my old DVDs (mostly TV shows that aren't available in HD) so I bought a generic dirt cheap USB drive from Ebay. Works surprisingly well!

• 
Savior82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yep, a blu-ray burner, got it for free through work few years back.

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Ezekiel

An internal Blu-ray drive. I rip movies at least twice a week. I might also burn some discs once my biggest backup drive is full.

mortal_sb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

bought a bluray burner with my new pc and put the old dvd drive and dvd burner to rest.

kblosnack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't have an optical drive for almost 5 years now, more if I consider my old pc that had a broken optical drive

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yep, must have used it about maybe 4 or 5 times total since building the PC back in 2012, not kidding.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#6  Edited By monkeyking1969

I have an optical drive in my gaming PC because my case is huge, and a drive cost $15. In my laptops and my mIXT computers, I just use an external media drive that I plug in via USB...also only $20. While not necessary they are handy when you need one, and they are so cheap.

Dave_Tacitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By Dave_Tacitus

Not for much longer. I built the PC without one in mind but then went on a Jeff-like odyssey to rip my entire DVD collection to my NAS and my USB DVD drive failed after a few weeks punishment. I bought a cheap SATA DVD writer.

Now that I've finished building my Plexbox I've got no need for the drive. Last Windows install I did was from USB.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I have 2 of them, thinking from a bygone era. For my new upgraded pc, I will consider a blueray drive/burner.

I will never get away from a optical drive until I am convinced it has gone the way of the floppy disc.

maxszy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Not for much longer. I built the PC without one in mind but then went on a Jeff-like odyssey to rip my entire DVD collection to my NAS and my USB DVD drive failed after a few weeks punishment. I bought a cheap SATA DVD writer.

Now that I've finished building my Plexbox I've got no need for the drive. Last Windows install I did was from USB.

This exactly. I bought a blu ray burner a few months back and am currently in the process of ripping all by Blu-Ray/DVD for my plex box.

I can't see any reason as to why I would use the drive (I will keep it since its already there, but wouldn't buy it on a new PC) after I am done with my projects.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yup, only use it to burn movies and stuff like windows backup disks or driver installs(when putting in brand new hardware without internet access)

aktivity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By aktivity

The last time I had one was two pc builds ago. My current case doesn't even have a spot to attach one.

damodar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By damodar

I still use it on the rare occasion, but the other reason for keeping the optical drive in my machine is because my fairly cheapo PC case has a dumb design where the bay covers snap off (as in you literally break them off in order to put something in the drive bay) and you can't put them back. So it's partly just plugging a hole.

I actually burned a CD the other week. A COMPACT DISC.

ghost_cat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ghost_cat

I still burn CDs because my car is old and doesn't have an AUX port.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Yes but I don't actually remember the last time I used it.

Avatar image for deactivated-58fc015c18561
deactivated-58fc015c18561

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just built a new PC a few months ago and saw no need for it, and like you said, the external USB optical drives work well if need be.

Avatar image for clairvoyantvibrations
ClairvoyantVibrations

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yup. I play enough old games that I have on disk that I kind of need it. I don't use it for burning anything.

druv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I haven't had one since I built my latest computer in... DAMN, 2011!?

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Yup. When first putting my rig together in early 2015, I needed a DVD drive to install Windows 7 since the thumb drive method wasn't working for me. Since then, I've used it to install older PC games, reinstalling software and drivers after fresh installing Windows once a year, rip DVDs for some dumb video editing projects, and occasionally play some PS2 games since PCSX2 can use retail discs. I'll upgrade to a blu-ray drive, but it's a low priority upgrade at the moment.

WynnDuffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@maxszy said:
@dave_tacitus said:

This exactly. I bought a blu ray burner a few months back and am currently in the process of ripping all by Blu-Ray/DVD for my plex box.

I can't see any reason as to why I would use the drive (I will keep it since its already there, but wouldn't buy it on a new PC) after I am done with my projects.

I'm thinking of buying a USB Blu-Ray drive myself for backing up my photos and then sticking them in a safe deposit box in the future. I mean maybe at this point I should just buy a case with drive bays since I have a use for one again.

Ryuku_Ryosake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I still have my first cd drive from my first build from like 8 years back. After my PS3 kicked the bucket I have found plenty of use for it. Mostly ripping isos of my PS1 and PS2 collection as I have desire to play those games on an emulator.

If it's still working I have no need to get rid of it. Also never know when you might have a sudden need for one.

JP_Russell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I bought one years ago to replace one that had died and still have just never bothered to stick it in. One of these days I'll get around to it so I can actually play the few old games I've had installed all this time that require the CD to launch.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#22  Edited By BeachThunder
No Caption Provided

triple07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Yep. Gets used VERY rarely but I still like to have one for the odd Blu-ray or DVD I want to watch. Plus a cheap Blu-ray drive isn't very expensive these days.

FinalForm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By FinalForm

The internet at my current place is horribly slow and I'm still holding on desperately to physical media.
So yeah. I have a dvd drive and a blu-ray drive and I try to buy physical copies of pc games. I'm a nightmare.

thebrainninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yep, two. One for Blu-rays, one of those fancy ones that can read GameCube/Wii disks. It's a bigass tower, why not have them?

fnrslvr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

lol, no. I happen to hate disc media, have hated them since the original Playstation and its 5-minute load times. My new PC case doesn't have a bay for a disc drive. I still have a bunch of discs lying around with contents on them that I may care about eventually (mainly my collection of local underground metal albums), and I'll probably get an external drive to keep in a drawer just in case, but I'd rather re-buy my old games during a Steam sale, or "pirate" them or something, than go through the hassle of ever trying to get the discs to run again.

Hell, I'm all-digital on console even, despite the frequently lower physical prices in stores. If I could snap the only disc copy of an Xbox One Game I own (Forza Horizon 2, came in a console bundle) and get Microsoft to send me a code, I'd do it.

TechnoSyndrome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

Yep, I've used it a few times. Not sure if my next build will or not.

betterley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By betterley

Nope, I sold my old case and optical drive at the same time.

I've never looked back.

MaKiNbAcoN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Coworker had a 4/5 year old PC die on him (motherboard), I saved his files and told him everything else was salvageable if he wanted it. He just took the HDD, gave me a blu-ray burner.

berfunkle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

No internal optical drive for 10 years. I bought an external DVD ROM drive a few years ago, but rarely use it. When Steam hit the market, that pretty much ended my optical disk days. I can see why some folks would prefer buying disk, but I like the convenience of download. This could change if download sizes increase and/or my cable co decides to go the way of Comcast and implement bandwidth caps. I hope not.

Mirado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I actually have two Blu-Ray drives in my PC, which I used to power through my huge disk collection and rip them all to streamable MKVs that sit on my NASbox. I haven't used them in quite some time, however, and have both of them unplugged as that seems to speed up boot times.

Quantris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yup, I have one that sees use maybe once or twice a year (I still have stuff backed up on DVD-R that I haven't got around to transferring elsewhere).

I'm building a new PC in the next week or so and have not planned to get a new optical drive for that. However I'm debating whether or not to transplant this one into it. Definitely wouldn't ever get a new one.

forteexe21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By forteexe21

Nope. My case doesnt even support having an optical drive cause i never used the one i had in my laptop.

Eroq

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ghost_cat: This is the main reason I still have my optical drive, and plan on keeping one in any future builds. Plus there are certain games that never saw a digital release (like Swat 4), so having an optical drive is cool just in case you ever need it for something like that.

arbayer2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#35  Edited By arbayer2

I still have physical PC games and movies at my house, as we have not gone the way of the future and gone with a flatscreen and streaming box. Even today, you may wonder. Nowadays for 16:9 clarity I use my PC for watching Blu-Rays (I have a Blu-Ray player combo drive in my PC) and even though fairly often I run into software issues (like a lack of native codecs in Windows for Blu-Ray, for example) I still intensely value the option of having an in for discs on my machine and won't entertain the thought of losing that flexibility until every disc format becomes unsupported, all of my current discs become unreadable and our household's ISP gives a fast enough capless downstream to make streaming not only economical but as effortless as downloading an mp3 is today.

And yes, it is also nice to have the capacity to downgrade/crossgrade the OS on a whim using original media, whether virtual machine or raw hardware, it's fun to take a step back once in a while. Also to that end, I have a USB 3.5" 1.44MB floppy external drive, although it's a little on the flaky side sometimes.

grilledcheez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

It doesn't get MUCH use, but yes I have a DVDRW drive in my computer just in case. I might upgrade it to a Blu Ray drive, I guess that would be more useful.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a0917a2494ce
deactivated-5a0917a2494ce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

Three blu-ray drives. Had a 600+ blu-ray collection that needed ripping. I use them every once in a while to rip new blu-rays I purchase. It's much more cost effective than overpaying with iTunes or Amazon.

pkmnfrk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Technically, my computer does have a Blu-ray drive. However, I cannibalized its SATA/power cables years ago, so in practise, it does not.

slyspider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There are still a handful of games I have on discs that I might want to play or something, so I keep a old drive in there.

alexl86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

Yes, though I haven't used it since spring. I sometimes buy disc games with steam codes because they are cheaper, and I have a few dozen older games on disc I doubt will get a rerelease.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, I have one that cost like $15 when I built this computer in 2009. I'll be replacing the CPU/RAM/Motherboard/PSU in the next year or two as soon as I get some money and I'll probably add a Blu-ray drive then (I have this giant case so space isn't an issue).

I still use a software CD just often enough (a few times a year) and I still use it regularly to burn audio CDs because my car is a 2000, so there's no real reason for me to get rid of it.

Viqor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, but there's a hole where it used to be. My Plex server has a BD-ROM drive and will continue to for the foreseeable future.

Svenzon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

Yeah. I've got a 2011 Asus laptop with a DVD drive. Don't use it much nowadays, though I did install the DVD version of Baldur's Gate a couple of weeks ago.

Girthantoklops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Girthantoklops

Bought a new pc just days ago with an optical drive. Need something for my old car's 6cd changer.

It's also nice for the old games i have lying around on disc. Some of them are added to my steam library, like civ v and red orchestra, but singularity and gta iv i still need disc for.

frytup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes. Still buy and rip Blu-rays and the occasional audio CD, but I haven't installed a game from disc in ages. I think Witcher 2 was the last PC game I bought on physical media.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#46  Edited By fisk0  Moderator

I built my PC 8 years ago and have two DVD-ROM drives from 2001-2003 in there still. Don't use them much (though I did make backups of all my old Duke Nukem 3D and Doom level CD's just a couple of weeks ago), but when I build a new one I'll have one drive in there for ripping my CD's, accessing my old stuff and burning the occasional backup.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

Yes, technically.

For some reason, the drivers for my Logitech keyboard wouldn't install unless I unplugged the DVD drive. Which just doesn't make any sense whatsoever, but I haven't seen a reason to plug the DVD drive back in. I bought that keyboard like three years ago.

There is an external DVD drive around here somewhere that my family shares. It gets used maybe once every few months.

DVD/Blu-Ray drives in computers are just barely useful enough to justify having one.

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I live in the UK and it was only this year i got high speed broadband, so i've been using DVD's almost daily.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

Yep. Even five or so years ago when I built my current PC, BluRay-drives were cheap enough to justify throwing one in for the heck of it.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#50  Edited By veektarius

Technically yes, it's a BD burner, preserved from several builds ago. it whines like a vacuum cleaner, though, so I avoid using it at all costs.