I want a wireless card but I don't know what I'm doing

Shaka999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Shaka999

Hey duders, looking for a wireless card. I play a good amount of multiplayer games on the PC, so obviously I'm looking for a high quality card. So after a brief search, I found this card from Micro Center (trying to buy from MC since I have a gift card):

http://www.microcenter.com/product/426850/PCE-AC68_Dual-Band_Wireless-AC1900_PCIe_Adapter

That's a good enough card, right? Also: if I wanted to eventually set something up so I can stream to a TV, am I going to need something else for my PC, or will I only need whatever I have to hook up to my TV?

Sorry if that's a dumb question and thanks in advance.

EDIT: if here are better cards elsewhere on the internet I'll shop there instead.

Hardywells

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833320173&cm_re=wifi_pci-_-33-320-173-_-Product

Looks solid since it has cables to move the antennas to a more optimal spot. I have used the step down from that before (AC1300) with great success.

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The only thing I can contribute is that USB dongles are really hit or miss and cards with Bluetooth as well have had issues for me personally.

Junkboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Junkboy

I usually buy the dirt cheapest of the cheap refurbed Linsys/Cisco USB adapters at such prices I get multiple in case i get any duds. AE2500 it's $15 so that's a little high but I see them cheaper on sale I've probably purchased 20+ Linksys refurbs and only had 1 DOA and 2 others die within the first year aside from that the rest all good with no DC problems.

I've found as long as you buy a solid router you can cheapen out and save money on adapters. My R7500 is rock solid and this refurb gives me a solid 96Mbps out of the 110ish the hardwired PC gets.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a0917a2494ce
deactivated-5a0917a2494ce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

So your router has as much, if not more impact on your gaming experience than your network adapter. While that looks like a good adapter, if you have a good adapter and a crappy router, you're still going to have a bad online experience.

How far away is your computer/consoles from your router?

If it's too far away, can you move your router closer?

What router do you have?

Is it 2.4ghz/5ghz or is it just 2.4?

If you are on 2.4ghz, you're probably going to have issues no matter what due to the limitations in channels. Because there are very few channels and if you are in an area where a lot of people have wi-fi, routers are going to overlap signals like crazy. 5 ghz will have much less interference.

I thought it would look ugly, but I used cable runners and ran cat6 along the walls of my house, just out of sight so I can get a better connection. I still do wireless gaming sometimes and it works really well, not as well as cat6 though. But my router was $270, it has load balancing, and I verified channels during setup.

pcorb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Seems a bit excessive really. Intel are the brand I'd trust most with networking. This card is a good shout by all accounts:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00OM0L9ZO/ref=dp_ob_neva_mobile

Or you could take a look at power line adapters if cable routing is the only thing holding you back from going with a wired connection. I've had luck with them when a direct Ethernet connection wasn't an option.

Strife777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I've got some old Linksys usb dongle thingie. It does the job, but if it's at all possible, I would go straight ethernet.

You don't really need to go crazy, as long as your router is good.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

That PCE-AC68 is probably nice, but likely more than you need. Half of that price is for the anodized aluminum 'cooler fins' that are decorative. My guess is 90% of he parts on the $50 ASUS PCE-N53 Wireless-N600 Dual-Band PCIe are shared in the $109 one. So it is the same thing - just less fancy.