#1 Edited by ravingham91 (200 posts) -

Soon I will be buying a new SSD (Current one is faulty) and was wondering if I would receive any benefit from installing windows 8 as well. IIRC windows will be stopping support for 7 in Jan 2015. I use my PC for gaming and internet browsing and that's pretty much it. I have several questions about windows 8.

1. Is it good? Do you use it? Do you like it?

2. What is the compatibility like? It has been out for a while now...does it support most hardware & software?

3. Does it have better performance? Is it better for gaming?

4. Can I turn off all the store stuff? Do I have to sigh in with/user a windows live id/account?

5. Can I disable features? I disable a lot of things in windows 7 that I don't use.

6. Should I wait to get windows 10?

As always I appreciate any information you can give.

SPECS:

i7 2600k |CM Hyper 212 | ASUS P8Z68-V PRO | 8GB Corsair Vengeance Ram | EVGA GeForce GTX 780 Ti Superclocked w/ EVGA ACX Cooler | Crossover 27QW | Corsair HX 850 |Audio Technica ATH-A500x | Xonar Essence STX |OCZ Vertex 3 120GB SSD | 2TB WD HDD | CM 690 II Advanced

#2 Edited by Mike (17981 posts) -

Windows 8.1 is a free upgrade from 8.0. It's totally fine, I am running Classic Shell and it doesn't feel or look much different than 7. I don't know about the store, I never use it and never see it. Compatibility is excellent, maybe even better than 7. Some of the issues I was having with Logitech's Gaming Software were resolved when I changed to 8.1.

You're going to have to upgrade to Win 8 or Win 10 if you want to take advantage of DirectX 12 though, Win 7 isn't going to support it at all.

Can't comment about 10 because I haven't used it yet and I think it's way early to be considering 10 as a primary OS for a gaming machine. I was using Windows 7 until earlier this year and I only switched to 8 because I got a free copy through DreamSpark.

#3 Posted by ravingham91 (200 posts) -

Thanks for the reply. Yeah the only kind of non standard/special hardware I have is a Asus Xonar sound card so I might just double check to see if it is compatible. I forgot about the x 12 thing! 8.1 doesn't sound to bad at all I think I'm going to do it!

#4 Posted by Mike (17981 posts) -

@ravingham91: As soon as you install Windows 8, grab Classic Shell over at Ninite.com when you're getting the rest of your software.

#5 Posted by Ben_H (4174 posts) -

I'm on Windows 10, have used it since the first day of the preview, and it's great. The only game I've had issues with thus far is Starcraft 2, which is hit or miss with some people (some people it works fine for, others not without fixes, and a select few, myself included, not at all). Otherwise it's great. It was designed to be almost completely compatible with anything that runs on Windows 8, and so far that has seemed accurate in my experiences. Can't comment on 8 or 8.1 because I went straight from 7 to 10.

Also, Windows 7 will have extended support until 2020, which means it will get security updates until then.

#6 Edited by CornBREDX (7356 posts) -

1. Is it good? This is a purely subjective opinion based question. My answer is no. Do you use it? I have had to support it for technical support/professional stuff. Do you like it? No. It wasn't made for ease of us but rather it was made for Microsofts bottom line which seemed to not take how people have used windows for the past 30 years or whatever into account. Whoever designed it was a... not smart person. 8.1 supposedly resolves this, though.

2. What is the compatibility like? It's fine. It has been out for a while now...does it support most hardware & software? Yes. As far as I know.

3. Does it have better performance? Yes, but right now the "better performance" it gives is minute. Is it better for gaming? No. It doesn't do anything that increases performance in games. Eventually it will, but will that be before Windows 10 exists? Probably not.

4. Can I turn off all the store stuff? Yes. Do I have to sigh in with/user a windows live id/account? A user account can be setup, yes, but you don't have to tie it into live id- that's just an option that Microsoft has had since XP. I don't know anyone that uses it, but I'm sure someone does. I don't see a point for it.

5. Can I disable features? I disable a lot of things in windows 7 that I don't use. Yes. It's a pain because again the OS was designed poorly, but it is still more customizable than an apple OS.

6. Should I wait to get windows 10? Probably, depends on if Windows 10 is actually an improvement. The only reason Microsoft "stops supporting" OS's is, again, to improve their bottom line. If they "don't support" Windows 7 then people have to upgrade so Microsoft makes money. Although, to be fair, 6 years is about how long they usually support their OS's.

#7 Posted by ravingham91 (200 posts) -

Thanks for the replies lots of helpful. Still unsure if I should upgrade now or wait until absolutely need to.

#8 Posted by Lego_My_Eggo (1309 posts) -

I would just wait to see how windows 10 goes. I don't personally use 8, but from the few times i have used it i absolutely hated the interface. It really felt like it was made more for tablets and smartphones and they just said fuck it and made it there desktop interface as well with little effort to make it work for keyboards and mice. I have heard it offers better performance then 7, but a quick google search is saying its only slightly faster with a few fractions of a second saved and a few more FPS here and there, the boot time being the big difference, the game and web browser benchmarks didn't really have that much of a difference at all.

I would personally wait for 10. There is no significant performance upgrade from 7 to 8 and the interface feels like a massive downgrade, whereas 10 looks like it fixes most of my problems with 8, and hopefully has an even better performance boost.

#9 Posted by alanm26v5 (556 posts) -

I'm running the Windows 10 preview right now (skipped 8/8.1) because I too just upgraded to a new SSD. It's free for anyone that signs up as far as I know. I certainly wasn't an insider previous to looking into it. I don't have a bandwidth cap and all my important gaming and internet data is saved in the cloud automatically anyway, so at worst I'm out a couple hours if something were to go catastrophically wrong and require a reformat. So far after a few weeks, no issues and no regrets.

#10 Edited by s80007 (114 posts) -

@mb said:

You're going to have to upgrade to Win 8 or Win 10 if you want to take advantage of DirectX 12 though, Win 7 isn't going to support it at all.

Are the new gpus supporting DirectX 12 ? I think they support 11.2. I may be wrong though.

#11 Posted by Dave_Tacitus (2438 posts) -

@s80007: I think the 700 series Nvidia cards will as well, but I might have dreamt it.

I switched to W8 pre-8.1 and it's fine. Had some problems with a few old games and DirectDraw but there are workarounds and I keep an old XP machine in a cupboard anyway, in case things won't work at all.

#12 Posted by Bollard (8141 posts) -

@mb said:

This isn't necessarily true. One can dream.

#13 Posted by ManMadeGod (1625 posts) -

Just to be clear, support for Windows 7 does not end in Jan 2015. "Mainstream support" ends, but the OS will be getting security updates until 2020.

To this day I still don't understand the people that hate the Win8 interface. The desktop view is exactly the same as Windows 7. The start menu is used to pin program shortcuts just like the start menu in Win7, except the menu is full screen now. To each his own, I suppose.

#14 Posted by ch3burashka (6086 posts) -

At this point? Wait until 9.

#15 Posted by bargainben (500 posts) -

8.1 is fine, the extra stuff is easy enough to avoid. The old start menu is a right click, the new one is a left click. You dont have to deal with any of that web 3.0 stuff if you don't want to.

#16 Posted by mak_wikus (780 posts) -

How do games run on Windows 8? I mean older titles that have no official Win8 support.

#18 Posted by Hardywells (101 posts) -

How do games run on Windows 8? I mean older titles that have no official Win8 support.

For me they run much better than they do on 7 (especially early 2000's games). I've been hearing that other places too, seems like in 8.1 M$ really focused on compatibility.

#19 Posted by darkstorn (481 posts) -

I was skeptical at first but made the switch w/ a new computer. After a day of use the Windows 8 quirks weren't a problem. It's just not that big a deal, imo.