New GPUs From NVIDIA Tomorrow!

• 85 results
Sanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

So for anyone thats not kept up it looks like the 3XXX series is gonna get announced tomorrow. I plan to atleast watch the press confrence but not sure if i will upgrade or not as i bought the 2080ti last time around. I plan to sell it to a buddy of mine for 450 bucks to help him out if i do upgrade, but depends on how nuts the prices are.

Always smart to wait for benchmarks, but im a idiot so theirs that. Anyone else interested in the new cards? I mostly want to upgrade for flight sim and Cyberpunk, besides that most things run great at 3440x1440p with my 2080ti.

Also i dont like that apparently the 3080 has only 10GB of memory, seems low for such a high end card. Will have to wait and see though!

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

This Reddit thread links an article that claims to know pricing. If they're right - and I wouldn't be surprised if they are - then all of the 3000 series cards are either way overpriced or land squarely in the "high end enthusiast" line of cards. As you have a 2080ti, OP, I imagine that's not a huge problem on your end, but most people are going to look at such prices and go "what the fuck?" If that's your stance - and it would be mine if I were in the market to replace my 1070ti - then I hope Nvidia is planning on either continuing their 2000 series or releasing something like a GTX 2650, 2660, etc. for those of us who don't want to spend a small fortune just to get a few extra frames and RTX.

'Course, that is a Reddit thread, so it could be entirely wrong and Nvidia could release those cards at something approaching reasonable, but I doubt it.

Also don't forget that it's pretty much confirmed you're going to need a new kind of power supply for a 3090, maybe a 3080 as well. A graphics card that needs its own 12 pin connector sounds like they've maybe gone a little overboard.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What are the odds this will bring down the price of current GPUs? I'm planning to build a new computer from scratch, but I've been holding off on biting the bullet after hearing these were coming.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By FacelessVixen

As someone with a 2080 Ti and plays in 1440p ultrawide, I'm curious about the the prices and performance and will watch Linus', Jay's, Kyle's, Paul's, Steve's and so-on's coverage of the cards as they come out for the sake of being a tech nerd. But I'm totally skipping the new cards since doping some settings from ultra to very high in Control, Assassin's Creed Odyssey, Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, Ghost Recon Wildlands and Watch_Dogs 2 isn't a big deal out of the literal hundreds of other games that I own and play more frequently.

LilNatureBoyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bad timing with so many games cancelled till next year, and the economy in shambles, and the govt refusing to give more rebates.

On one hand you have these cards that'll actually be the next step above PS5 XSX graphics, but people aren't even that enthusiastic for those consoles right now.

Nvidia hasn't gone back to pre crypto pricing (7 series $350-400, 8 series 450, ti 550), may never will.

The performance difference between a 2080 Super and 3080 might not be noticable if the rest of your computer has bottlenecks. I'm waiting for the 2021 Ryzens.

Sanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Sanity

@justin258: Its been pretty much confirmed that the new plug will have a adapter in the box and its most likely only on the FE. Im really on the fence though, its a ton of money, but i also wouldn't mind getting the upgrade as i feel like in a few more years i will have to do a whole new system so i could potentially get a 3090 and then just hold out until the 5 series and do a complete build as by then im gonna have to get a new motherboard. That would be atleast 3 years away though.

Thats my thoughts anyways.

@zeik: None, the old cards were already discontinued and manufacturing stopped. I would say wait to see what AMD dose and see how the 3060 and 3070 bear out. Used is a different story though if you dont mind that route!

MobiusFun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can't wait for a 3080. I got Control recently now that it's on Steam and uhh... the 1070ti is not a good 1440p card anymore, lol. I have to run that game on low/medium settings. It still looks good but it bums me out.

Raven10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

@mobiusfun: Control is among the most demanding games on the market mind you. Also if you have ray tracing turned on then it will kill your frame rate because the 10 series doesn’t have hardware rtx support. Still, I have a 1080 and am very interested to see what Nvidia will show tomorrow as more and more games are struggling on my PC to push past 1080p at a constant 60+ with settings maxed.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sanity: What's the timeframe on those getting released? I'm not super keyed in to the PC hardware scene.

I'm willing to wait to a certain extent, but if it's too far off I might just have to say fuck it and buy now.

Sanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Sanity

@zeik: Its all rumor at this point, if its like last time the 3070 and up will be available for preorder tomorrow then the 3060 will show up about 6 months from now, no one knows for sure though. AMD has been quiet but its expected we will hear something out of them by end of year on big navi which is expected to come in around somewhere near a 2080ti or better for a much lower price.

Amd has been behind the curve for awhile and their drivers suck, but i wish they would give Nvidia some kind of competition.

Also keep in mind its hard to say how many of these cards will be around at launch. expect shortages for atleast a month or two.

RobertForster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My new 9900k and 2080 super should last me quite sometime thank you. I’m waiting for the 4080.

LilNatureBoyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@robertforster: really the only thing people like us have to be concerned with is if the 4080 ends up coming out 4 to 5 years later rather than just the next year, like when crypto threw around release schedules. So in this case if covid-19 screws up manufacturing schedules, or even R&D

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

The pricing on these will decide if I'll make a new PC build this year and skip the consoles for now or do it the other way around and build a new tower sometime in 2021-2022. I'd really like to play Flight Simulator at decent frame-rates and resolutions.

Hayt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I am excited to see how much $1500 USD becomes in AUD. I am guessing it'll mysteriously end up at about 2600 AUD.

Avatar image for deactivated-6357e03f55494
deactivated-6357e03f55494

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I plan on picking up the 3090.

The 10gb vram on the 3080 is wya better, much higher speed than the ti.

Personally anyone that already has an rtx card shouldn't be looking at these too hard unless the just want a new card.

I'm running a 1080 which is fine but it's definitely showing its age.

I run 3440 100hz and definitely have needed to start turning stuff down. I also really want to use well performing ray tracing.

I held off on a 2080 super this year to wait, so needless to say I'll be bummed if Im not able to snag one of the new cards.

Also hoping the rumors are true that 3rd party cards will be dropping day and date.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By OurSin_360

They really gouged the prices last gen, so I don't doubt they do the same this time too since AMD seems to have nothing in the high performance market. My 1080 seems to do pretty good still, maybe I'll just get a used 1080ti and sell it lol.

honestly if 400-500 dollar consoles do 4k 60 next gen, they have no more excuses tbh.

frytup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I skipped this generation of video cards, but upgraded the rest of my PC in December.

So, yeah. Definitely in the market for a new card. Hopefully 3000 series will actually be available at standard retail prices before the end of the year.

Sanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looks like 3070 is around 500, 3080 around 800 and 3090 at 1500. The 3070 and 3080 actually look like a pretty good value as they both supposedly beat out a 2080ti. Not sure what i will do yet, im leaning towards just waiting out until the 4 series though and get some value out of paying the early adopter tax. Great news for people who were smart and waited it out last gen though!

Avatar image for deactivated-6357e03f55494
deactivated-6357e03f55494

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So this is the first launch I'm looking to get into the new cards day and date, are pre orders not really a thing for GPUs? Is it just gonna come down to me camping out my pc around 11:59pm on Sept 16th?

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That 3090 looks insane, about the size of 2 gpus. Hopefully the 3080, and 3070 actually sell at the msrp this time. I may grab one this year and sell my 1080, or just wait for the super or TI versions next year.

mikewhy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have a 1070 and have been dying for an upgrade. It was OK for 1440p/60, but I'm living that ultra wide life now. 3070 is tempting but I need to see prices outside of burgerbucks.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, looking the requirements I'd have to also update my psu as well. 750 is the minimum, mine is like 620 I think and old.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So I guess the ti line is dead? Unless they drop one later next year. I don't really see a viable option outside of the monster 3090 to justify upgrading from a 2080ti because the 3080 may be 1.5x over my card vs the 2x over a standard 2080.

colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am glad though to see cards that aren't titans be back down below 1k with the 3080 being $700

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So I guess the ti line is dead? Unless they drop one later next year. I don't really see a viable option outside of the monster 3090 to justify upgrading from a 2080ti because the 3080 may be 1.5x over my card vs the 2x over a standard 2080.

IMO when you get a TI there really isn't a reason to upgrade for a generation unless it's to another TI. And the Ti versions usually come out 6 months to a year later so I wouldn't doubt they will release. I only have a 1080 because the Ti didn't come out till like 5 months later and I couldn't wait lol.

colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oursin_360: Was confused at first because they rolled out a ti for the initial 20 series launch, but I forget if the recent Titan rolled out at the same time too back then. Guess they're just shuffling the line around again.

Sanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@colourful_hippie: I think a Ti will come in 6 months or so if theirs competition from AMD. Would just be a middle ground between the 3080 and 3090.

colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DF video up. Nvidia offering a stronger 2080ti for a little bit below 1K ($700) with the 3080 is a pretty sweet deal.

Loading Video...
Hayt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

Some spicy Aus prices to be sure.

Schmollian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

The 3070 seems like a decent upgrade from even the 2080 Ti let alone my 1070 Ti.

Looks like I'm skipping new consoles this year then.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

I am very much looking forward to the 3080. Now the only question is when they'll be available in quantity...

jacksmedulla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I bought a 2060 super for the rig I built at the end of last year, and it's been pulling its weight relatively well at 1440p 144hz. With that said, this looks like a damned good deal that will allow me to push all RTX at 1440p with close to 144 hz, so I think I'm picking up a 3080 when I can find one.

nnickers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The craziest part of this had to be seeing Adam Sessler included in the weird "influencers react" sizzle reel at the end of the presentation.

LilNatureBoyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The PSU requirements are the biggest problem. I don't want to deal with all that. So the next time I can afford a full PC build, which will probably be a short time after the 3080TI version comes out, that'll be the target.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nnickers said:

The craziest part of this had to be seeing Adam Sessler included in the weird "influencers react" sizzle reel at the end of the presentation.

yeah lol. He only had like 2 quick shots so I know they edited out all of his complaints after the game started lol.

HIMSteveO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

What sort of motherboard will these require? Had a bit of a look, and not finding much definitive on that front... Got a z390 (I think) with the PC I had built earlier this year, and it's got an i7-9700 in it - so I'd assume I'd need a new motherboard, CPU (to remove any bottlenecking), and power supply yeah? And whether it fits the case I have is also a curiosity too...

Avatar image for deactivated-60c360497d24a
deactivated-60c360497d24a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just built a new PC recently with a 2070 Super. I still game at 1080p, I'm good. If the new cards somehow don't sell out and get marked up heavily by third party sellers, maaaaaaybe I'll hop on a 3080 at some point. Probably not, most likely will just wait for whatever comes after.

Avatar image for ralphmoustaccio
RalphMoustaccio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By RalphMoustaccio

@himsteveo: No, you shouldn't need a new motherboard. The 30 series does have a PCIe 4.0 interface, but that's compatible with previous PCIe standards, such as the PCIe 3.0 on your board. The data throughput on PCIe 3.0 is lower, but considering they gave relative performance metrics based on a system with an i9 processor, and none of those even use PCIe 4.0 yet, I think you're good.

CrimsonJesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Really hope the supply isn't terrible. I'd love a 3080, since 4k even on my 2080 isn't perfect.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

Both the 3070 and 3080 seem appealing enough that they might make me skip a console launch for the first time since the PS1. It'll be weird to not buy the new consoles, but the base of my current PC build is a decade old and this definitely seems like the right time to upgrade.

HIMSteveO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ralphmoustaccio Cheers! Do you think an i7-9700 would bottleneck with the 3080? I know it may be too early to say, but I'm curious of the actual performance boost I'll get from just upgrading to the 3080...

Raven10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

@himsteveo: It is going to depend on the game and the resolution you are playing at. At anything less than 4K60 the CPU is the bottleneck on your current system. There is really nothing you can do about that though. The 9000 series is something like 15% faster than the 8000, which was about 15% faster than the 7000 and so on all the way back to the 2000. A couple jumps were more like 20-25%, but the difference between a 6000 series CPU and a 9000 series one is probably about the same as the difference between these new GPUs and the 2000 line. CPUs have largely hit a barrier that makes it hard to make them much faster. So they add more cores but programs have to be designed to use those cores, something that is far from easy. So a well optimized game that maxes out all your CPU power is going to be far less limited than, say, any game made in Unity, which still hasn’t resolved most of their multithreading issues. These limitations are the key reason you see GPUs being used for so much more than graphics these days. It’s why Sony and Microsoft built multiple speciality processing units into their new systems. So, yea, chances are going to be that you will be CPU bound outside of 4k60 games and those using heavy ray tracing.

hack1501

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@himsteveo: Do a search for "cpu gpu bottleneck calculator." There are a few decent ones and they will give you an idea of which component is under-powered compared to the other. I wouldn't rely solely on these but they will give you a decent idea of how these components match up. You'll probably have to wait a bit until they're updated to the new 3000 cards though.

HIMSteveO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

RalphMoustaccio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By RalphMoustaccio

@himsteveo: I agree with most of what Raven said, except that maxing GPU usage (this theoretically avoiding any relevant CPU bottleneck) is not limited to just 4K60 scenarios. If you are playing at frame rates higher than 60, the GPU can also quickly become the limiting factor, and you will see performance gains with a more powerful GPU. They may not be as stark as the gains at lower frame rates when just adjusting resolution and/or image settings, however. That said, I don’t think you have much to worry about with an i7 9700. You should have several more years of that being a perfectly fine CPU for gaming regardless of GPU.

If you’re not playing at 4K and/or 1440p/144Hz, though, the 3080 is probably overkill. The 3070 would be a better choice for any 1080p usage or 1440p/60Hz, even with RT on, based on estimates. The presumptive, but not yet confirmed 3060 will probably be aimed at consistent 1080p/60 with RT on, and 1440p/60+ without it.

HIMSteveO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ralphmoustaccio Cheers. Definitely looking for 4K, so by the sounds, a 3080 seems like it'll do the trick and give me that bigger bump. Appreciate it!

RalphMoustaccio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By RalphMoustaccio

@himsteveo: Now just to measure and make sure it fits in that case!

Edit: And check your PSU wattage. The 3080 requires a minimum 750W one.