New Laptop?

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

My girlfriend's laptop is really beginning to slow down, and have more and more issues. Does anyone have any recommendations on what she should replace it with? She only uses it for work and stuff like browsing the internet and streaming stuff.

Anyone bought one recently they don't hate?

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By FacelessVixen

Well, given the details provided: Perhaps she's still on a mechanical hard drive and should upgrade to an SSD. Another low cost option is to buy more RAM if her RAM usage is always at a high percent, though I doubt that general use takes up much system memory, so, that's something to monitor with task manager. And another option which is a personal favorite of mine, backup the essential files to a different hard drive and reinstall the operating system to get rid of any possible bloatware and shit like that.

But, if her laptop has an SSD, at least 8GBs of RAM, kept it physically clean since dirty non user serviceable fans have been the death of my past two laptops, kept it clean in terms of software by not downloading any shady shit, and these "more and more issues" are more than it just being slow like random blue screens and crashes, then feel free to post your Amazon and Newegg links dudders.

...Also if it's just old AF.

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Barrock

@facelessvixen said:

Well, given the details provided: Perhaps she's still on a mechanical hard drive and should upgrade to an SSD. Another low cost option is to buy more RAM if her RAM usage is always at a high percent, though I doubt that general use takes up much system memory, so, that's something to monitor with task manager. And another option which is a personal favorite of mine, backup the essential files to a different hard drive and reinstall the operating system to get rid of any possible bloatware and shit like that.

But, if her laptop has an SSD, at least 8GBs of RAM, kept it physically clean since dirty non user serviceable fans have been the death of my past two laptops, kept it clean in terms of software by not downloading any shady shit, and these "more and more issues" are more than it just being slow like random blue screens and crashes, then feel free to post your Amazon and Newegg links dudders.

...Also if it's just old AF.

Thanks for the advice. She has 8 GB RAM. Going to get an SSD and reinstall Windows.

This is her

laptop: https://www.cnet.com/products/toshiba-satellite-c75d-a7370-17-3-a6-5200m-8-gb-ram-750-gb-hdd-us/

fnrslvr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By fnrslvr

Pretty much any recent Dell XPS laptop would make for a fine machine. I think my XPS 13 was at the low end of the range at the time (1080p non-touch screen, i5, 256GB SSD, etc) and it's been great. You can get some pretty deep discounts if you buy at the right time (and potentially from Dell's ebay store), I think I paid around US$1000 for mine (including tax).

HP and Lenovo also appear to have good offerings.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By FacelessVixen

@barrock: Thanks for posting the specs, and let me know if my/JayzTwoCents' suggestions work since fixing a PC via message board is a bit tricky. But, if the Celeron G1840 that I used to use is any indication, then an about as old 2 GHz quad-core AMD CPU should be good enough for general use and media consumption, so hopefully spending $50 for a 250GB SSD, a bit more cash for either a USB to SATA adapter or a thumb drive that's big enough for her files, and reinstalling Windows should get things up and running smoothly.