Akrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Akrid

UPDATE: WE ARE STILL ALIVE (2016)

We just don't often do the scheduling thing anymore. We had some great moments with it and established a lovely little community of Giant Bomb friends on our Mumble server through doing so. Hell, I and several others travelled across the Atlantic to hang out with some of them. But in recent years, event nights have proven to be a somewhat fruitless format. However, the Mumble is still actively used and I encourage any Giant Bomb duders to join us on it! It's always nice to talk to new people.

The following below remains relatively unedited for posterity.

Hey Duders!

The PC hub is reforming, and aside from a few changes, we’re simply aiming to be bigger and better than ever.

We've also changed mumble servers - the new one is right here (direct connect).

What is the PC hub ye ask? It’s a place on the internet where you can chat with, play with, and connect with your fellow Giant Bombers, all via your personal computer. Every hour, across the globe, we get together and play games, and it’s fun! Do you like fun? I bet you do!

We hold scheduled events every week where everyone jumps on and we play the hell out of a video-game. Aside from that, there are always tons of duders hanging out that are either lookin’ for some hawt video-game action, or already playing something that they’d love for you to join in on.

We get this done a few different ways -

• A Mumble for your voice-box,
  • A chatroom for your fingers,
  • A Steam group to keep track of it all.

Giantbombing.com

Is our center for everything mentioned below. So much thanks to @WilltheMagicAsian for designing and lending us his site!

Our Steam Group

If you’re a PC duder, you already know what Steam is. You can join our Hub with just a few clicks. Through that, you can find out about upcoming events, any content we post on the forums, and basically everything else we’re doing. Be sure to give the calendar a look to see ahead of time what is coming up. We’re always improving our schedule and playing new games each week!

Note: There is a bug that if you view the steam group through a browser while not signed in, it'll say the group is invite only. That is untrue. Just sign in and you'll be able to join, or find the group on your Steam client and sign up from there.

Our Chatroom

If you’re interested in finding a couple of duders to play games with, or just talk about said video-games, you best be going to our chatroom at http://giantbombing.com/chat/. Just type in your nickname and you’re in!

Our Voice Room

And last but not least, we have our Mumble server, where you can chat vocally with other friendly duders. As far as the magic of hearing the voices of the world over the internet goes, it’s a pretty simple setup:

1. Download the stable version of mumble at http://mumble.sourceforge.net/
  2. Open the program, you’ll get a window called ‘mumble server connect’
  3. Click ‘Add New...’ and fill out the box like so:

4. Click OK and connect. You’ll be prompted for Certificate Failure - just click yes.

OR

@WilltheMagicAsian has truly worked some magic and has figured out a one-click solution. Just have the program installed, and click this:

Auto-connect

Once you’re in, all you need to know is that double clicking a channel will put you in it.

Once again, this is a new address. If you've logged on previously, you'll need to make a brand new entry with the settings above.

So What do We Play?

Well darn near every game under the sun! Things like Arma2, Team Fortress 2, Counter-Strike, Battlefield 3, Starcraft II, Diablo III, , Company of Heroes, Shogun 2, Men of War, Red Orchestra 2, Minecraft, IL-2 Sturmovik, DayZ, Just Cause 2, All the MOBAs . . . Sometimes we even go for games of the non-video variety, with card games like Dominion or Cards Against Humanity! I’m sure you get the idea. We like the games.

We also have a fair amount of duders who happen to have their PS3's hooked up to their monitors, so console games aren't necessarily out of the question! See? We're not elitist!

This group operates on an officer system - that is to say, if you find you want to host an event of your own, you’re totally free to do so.

Bits'n'Bobs

We have a youtube channel where we’ve posted many of our forays - http://www.youtube.com/user/GiantBombSquad/videos

We’ve got a ton of things coming up, so keep an eye on the Steam group as well as this space!

matthew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

#2  Edited By matthew

Duders. As one they arose from the ashes of utter defeat, with sights set on the highest of heights. The Personal Computer. Such a powerful tool. From the depths of 4chan, to the heights of Vimeo, Duders banded together to browse and play together, strengthening their bonds as never before. Trained and hardened from the great and glorious Giant Bomb Community, their resolve and directive has always been clear - to enlighten those who willingly choose to adhere to the dark. Dawg. With Big Fucking Guns, Crowbars, Translocators, and Bio Rifles shall we laugh together whilst decimating the already vanquished foe. And Duders were they known as.

With flawless communication thanks to the Voice Over Internet Protocol (VOIP) in the form of the new program known as Mumble (ip - sap.pzlate.com, port no.- 64738) do they converse, viewing learning tactics in the form of internet videos concerning cats, to sharing the most breaking of news concerning the Video Game Industry. And Duders were they known as.

When a certain form of stealth is necessary, underground do they delve to the Internet Relay Chat (IRC - pzlate.com/chat) with a focus on text-based communications. And Duders were they known as.

To the cloud they go once a mission is completed, to once again bask in the economic and synergistic glory of the great online hub that is Steam. There do they find new intel on upcoming raids. To the Wall of the Giant Bomb PC Gaming Hub do they look to share with their fellow Duders the glory of their past raids and to challenge and spur each other on to greater and greater levels of prestige. And Duders were they known as.

If you feel the call to stand by your post at your own Personal Computer, become a Duder.

TL;DR

Talk on Mumble. Type in IRC. Join the Steam Group. Become a Duder.

No0b0rAmA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By No0b0rAmA

Is it really back? Am I dreaming?

Darksaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By Darksaw

I can't wait to play some Arma and TF2 with you duders.

Avatar image for willthemagicasian
WilltheMagicAsian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By WilltheMagicAsian

Hey, that's pretty cool.

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By Subjugation

So we meet again ...

mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By mosdl

One of the first things we want to mess with is the Just Cause 2 Multiplayer Beta that will be happening tomorrow (event link). We'll probably have some folks playing that throughout the day as well so feel free to check in before the scheduled event to see if there are any like-minded connoisseurs of explosions and mayhem if you can't make it.

Xyber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Xyber

Nothing shall stop the Giant Bomb PC gaming train!

CHU-CHU!

Aronman789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By Aronman789

Like a phoenix, we rise from the ashes to being again.

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By NekuSakuraba

Yeah, let's do this!

CSS and TF2, here I come!

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#11  Edited By ajamafalous

Well then.

roughneck117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By roughneck117

IS THE DRAMAZZ OVER??????????????? IS IT ??? IS IT??? SOME ONE TELL ME PLEASEZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!OMGZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

swoxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By swoxx

@roughneck117 said:

IS THE DRAMAZZ OVER??????????????? IS IT ??? IS IT??? SOME ONE TELL ME PLEASEZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!OMGZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm going to kill you!!

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Doctorchimp

@roughneck117 said:

There was DRAMARZ??

Well, all I know is I just built a new PC and I'm looking forward to playing with you duders.

roughneck117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By roughneck117

@Swoxx: Hey fuck you bro. IMMA DOG!!! WOOF WOOF!!!

fr0y0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By fr0y0

I'm fr0y0 and I approve this hub.

Liber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Liber

@roughneck117 said:

@Swoxx: Hey fuck you bro. IMMA DOG!!! WOOF WOOF!!!

I would punch you but I don't punch dogs with glasses.

Avatar image for equitasinvictus
EquitasInvictus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By EquitasInvictus

This looks great! Hopefully we can attract even more PC gamers than before after being revitalized like this. I'll be able to participate in at least one of these runs before I have to go poof for a month!

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#19  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

Stickied to the PC forum.

Akrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Akrid

@Doctorchimp said:

Well, all I know is I just built a new PC and I'm looking forward to playing with you duders.

Glad to have you!

@EquitasInvictus said:

This looks great! Hopefully we can attract even more PC gamers than before after being revitalized like this. I'll be able to participate in at least one of these runs before I have to go poof for a month!

Oh, that's too bad. Well, we'll try and make it a good'un.

We're starting Just Cause 2 Multiplayer soon. Get in on it!

mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By mosdl

Just messed with the Just Cause 2 MP Beta - butter smooth and stupid fun. No NPCs, just players in the full map of the game, all the buildings/vehicles are there. All you do is sign up on the site, download a zip file. Zip has an .exe that you run, which will ask for the Just Cause 2 directory and your username. The zip contains a Readme with the IP address of the server as well.

wunder_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#22  Edited By wunder_

What happened to the last one?

Broseybrose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Broseybrose

I play Tribes: Ascend almost daily and represent team TAW.

Add me in-game - Brose.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By fattony12000

REPRESENT DUDERS!

Avatar image for matthewthebeast
MatthewTheBeast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By MatthewTheBeast

Good luck mates. I don't see any Napoleonic Wars up in this, so I'm just gonna do whatever.

mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By mosdl

@MatthewTheBeast said:

Good luck mates. I don't see any Napoleonic Wars up in this, so I'm just gonna do whatever.

Been thinking of getting the whole collection for Mount and Blade (9 bucks), wonder if there are more dudes who play it

Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#27  Edited By Pie
@mosdl said:

@MatthewTheBeast said:

Been thinking of getting the whole collection for Mount and Blade (9 bucks), wonder if there are more dudes who play it

yes
Avatar image for matthewthebeast
MatthewTheBeast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By MatthewTheBeast

@mosdl said:

@MatthewTheBeast said:

The thing about the game is that it's all about the community events such as linebattles and etc. The only ones I attend are those that have a public regiment for non-clan players and new-comers to the events (This steam group contains links to the events the pub reg attends: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/Pub_Regiment )

NinetySevenA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By NinetySevenA

Joined the group. Hopefully this time around i'll play more than one night with you duders.

Canteu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Canteu

I'm Master Chief and this is my favourite thread on the Death Star.

drjota

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#31  Edited By drjota

@Akrid: Nice timing!Looking forward to getting involved,work permitted.

Grimmy616

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#32  Edited By Grimmy616

Yeeeaaah buddy. Joined.

impartialgecko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#33  Edited By impartialgecko

Man I have a PC with games on. This sounds super awesome. As a generally-console gaming person though it also sounds super crazy.

mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By mosdl

We are playing BF3 on our server right now!

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By AlexW00d

So we're about to jump in to ArmA 2, on Liber's server 'cause he's awesome. Join the mumble if you wanna join in game; and I, and maybe Will, will be streaming, so jump over to here to catch that if you're interested.

KillyDarko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 43

#36  Edited By KillyDarko

I'm not exactly a MP kind of guy, but I'll still join-- a GB PC gaming hub sounds pretty damn good :)

GS_Dan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By GS_Dan

Server was full :/

Just bought the game so need to do all of the tuts anyway.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#38  Edited By Bollard

Bought CO in the recent Steam Sale so will definitely need to get in on the next ARMA 2 event!

Also JC2-MP is amazing.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

With the Steam Sale just finished, I'm sure loads of people have shiny new PC games they want to play with the community, so I'm going to sticky this to the newest topics feed for a while for exposure.

bemusedchunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By bemusedchunk

When is the next JC2-MP testing? Could us bombers all run in the server and have a crazy fun time?

Beaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Beaker
SamStrife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By SamStrife

Tomorrow night, Wednesday the 25th July at 9pm GMT, come join us as we take to the skies in:

No Caption Provided

Come and join the Flight Club back in World War 2 as we take to the skies and battle it out...or at least attempt to take to the skies. We'll be dogfighting it out as well as running some co-op missions if the demand is there.

Don't wory if you couldn't fly if your life depended on it...neither can we, so we can all learn the hard way together! This game also runs brilliantly with a control pad if you don't have a flight stick so don't let that hold you back either.

Join us on the mumble server and take to the skies....only to fall straight back out of them.

Check out the Steam event page (which is totally not a copy/paste job) here.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Important: Please note the server will be running the 4.08m patch of the game, so if you need to upgrade/downgrade it then download the file from the URL below and install it into your games directory.

http://www.gamefront.com/files/6690212/IL_2__Sturmovik_1946_v4_08m_Patch

shikon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By shikon

Yeah Flying last night was fun!

we should look into doing a dynamic campaign if people are interested.

maybe there is one for those attachable planes that would be funny.

SamStrife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By SamStrife

@Shikon: Yeah, next time we do IL-2 I'm going to look at doing more missions and getting the latest patch. Thanks for turning up duder.

Tactless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Tactless

For some reason fraps did not record the mumble chat, but here's some video.

shikon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By shikon

@Tactless: if you ever figure out how you did that that would be amazing i want to be able to record stuff with out the mumbles!

also as a side note to that video the real pilots actualy DID reatach mid air so it might be possible. according to Wikipedia anyway (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zveno_project)

mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By mosdl

Just Cause 2 MP beta is happening tomorrow again, we probably should setup something for that

impartialgecko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By impartialgecko

Any chance of a L4D2 bombing run at some point? I picked it up in the Steam sale like probably everyone else who didn't already have it and it's the only shooter I own that my PC can reliably run.

Akrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Akrid

@adam1808: We don't have anything planned for that right now, but it's certainly a possibility if we find someone whose interested in running it. Aside from that, the game only needs four players, so it'd be pretty easy to round up a few people in our chat when you want a game or two. I or the other admins could even post an announcement on occasion if you want to get something rolling.

impartialgecko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By impartialgecko

@Akrid: Good to know. In the meantime I should probably be upgrading my PC to get some of this hot PC gaming stuff. I was thinking more so Versus which needs 8 but I guess that shouldn't be too difficult either.