Two random questions about an MSI Ghost 60 gaming laptop.

RetroMetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

I bought this thing over a year ago but hardly use it because it's got the trackpad that is way left of center which I find completely annoying and awkward to use. Also, it has this funky keyboard that lights up like a rainbow and it's a "Steelseries" keyboard.

So my two (actually three) random questions are:

Do off-center trackpads drive anyone else bat-shit crazy?

Why would they even consider putting the trackpad off-center like this?

What is supposed to be "special" about a Steelseries keyboard?

VACkillers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By VACkillers

Off-Center trackpads are stupid, just my opinion. It shouldn't bother you because you can just simply plug in a usb mouse. Problem solved.

No idea why they would consider it, just a new design maybe? it could be a heat issue as regular trackpads when used in high-performance laptops tend to have the GPU right under it so they warm up good. Off-center pads can be good if its in the right side position for gaming. Only explanation I have.

It's a more durable keyboard I think thats lit up with leds?

SURPLUS_NiNjA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I feel like these are the questions you should have been asking when you bought the laptop.

Zella

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My laptop's track pad is off center. Well it is off the center of the full body, but is centered for the main keyboard portion (my laptop also has a num pad, so the trackpad is centered for the non-num pad portion). I don't mind it at all. I don't use it that often because I have a mouse for when I am at home, but when I am using it the position doesn't bug me. Not sure if I adapted to it or my preferred hand position just worked out well but I like to have my right hand fairly angled towards the laptop when using the trackpad so having it off to the left ends up working well as I can rest my palm on the laptop while using the trackpad.

RetroMetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@surplus_ninja: Yeah, probably.

As for the keyboard, I guess I'm asking, is a SteelSeries keyboard like a fancy mechanical keyboard? I have never used one of those so I don't know what characteristics they might have.

Also, regarding a mouse, yeah I get that, but when I'm using the laptop say... in my lap... there is nowhere for a mouse to track on, so I'm using the tool included with a laptop to use it in... a lap.

SURPLUS_NiNjA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Its not a mechanical keyboard, those are pretty uncommon in laptops and when they are present the manufacture makes such a big deal out of it you wouldn't miss it. It just means steelseries designed the keyboard and that it uses steelseries software for keymapping if you're into that.

As for why its off center its so its directly below the center of the part of the keyboard you use most. Given that its a "Gaming" laptop they probably didn't give much though to it figuring people would have a real mouse around since they are gamers.