Upgrade from GTX 760 to GTX 970/980 or wait?

joejaen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By joejaen

I built a PC in August of 2014, and at the time was on a more restrictive budget, so I settled for the GTX 760. Now playing games like WWE 2K15 and GTA V and soon to be playing The Witcher III, I was wondering if I should upgrade to the 970/980 (I honestly find it difficult to find much of a difference between these two outside of $150), or just hold off until newer cards are announced/released? Just for clarification, GTA V runs ok (albeit on much lower settings), but WWE struggles to maintain a decent framerate even on the lowest of settings. With this experience fresh in my mind, I fear The Witcher III may do the same or worse.

Keep in mind that prior to this build, the last time I built a gaming rig was in 2001, so I've been out of the game for quite some time. I don't even know how often Graphics cards are released these days. My biggest concern here isn't necessarily the money (though I refuse to blow a G on the Titan), I just don't want to get one, only to have another one come out in 6 months that completely blows it out of the water.

Thoughts?

Avatar image for shivermetimbers
shivermetimbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

For what it's worth, my GTX 760 can play Witcher 3 with most settings on high capped at 30 FPS. Anyways, always go for the 970 if you plan on upgrading. Personally I'm thinking about it myself.

nickhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 10

#3  Edited By nickhead

@shivermetimbers said:

For what it's worth, my GTX 760 can play Witcher 3 with most settings on high capped at 30 FPS. Anyways, always go for the 970 if you plan on upgrading. Personally I'm thinking about it myself.

I'm on a 660, also playing on high and locked at 30 fps. Runs totally fine.

I also want a 970 though, just haven't pulled the trigger yet - especially when I saw Witcher doesn't run like shit on my 660.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By mike

I'd wait until at least E3 when AMD is expected to announce and possibly release for sale their next generation of GPUs. That could have an immediate affect on the entire GPU market, even if you're not interested in one of their new top end cards. Give it a couple of weeks.

pcgamingshow.com is the event at E3 where AMD is going to be making their big announcement.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I second MB's suggestion. AMD is announcing new cards soon and even if you have no intention of buying them you might as well see if they can pressure Nvidia in lowering their astronomical prices.

Canteu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You should wait, then get a 980 anyway.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

@canteu said:

You should wait, then get a 980 anyway.

Care to elaborate on this? Why?

alanm26v5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#9  Edited By alanm26v5

I recently upgraded from a 660Ti to a 970 which doubled my benchmark scores. I always use This chart to compare cards across brand and generation, and to see if an upgrade will be meaningful. Witcher 3 runs at a stable 60 despite having an older Sandy Bridge CPU/Mobo, though I only played a few hours so far. If the cards become $30-50 cheaper after next week, that's about what I wanted to be paying. Just make sure if you do upgrade that you have the right power connections available as you might be going from a 2x6 pin to a 1x6 and 1x8 pin, though I think the card I ended up getting was also a 2x6, so just check the specifications.

Avatar image for asilentprotagonist
ASilentProtagonist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wait.

Junkboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Junkboy

Wait, we're literal weeks from AMD launching their cards and NV just released a new one as well so everything will have some price drops. The new cards will affect old stock so maybe you can upgrade to last years cards at a better price.

Hayt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Hayt

@junkboy0: Do we have an exact date on the AMD stuff or is it all teasing still?

Junkboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Junkboy

@hayt: Their Presser during E3 will give us all the info but it looks like they'll do a paper launch that day with limited card and will trickle stock in the coming weeks. So nothing concrete and I wouldn't expect easily available Fury cards until start of July to be honest but everything should be out and available before July is out. But if you're fast enough there will be limited card out next week it seems like.

Avatar image for thatthereitalian
thatthereitalian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I upgraded from a 760 to a 970 about a month ago to prepare for Witcher 3. I picked up the Asus STRIX 970 on sale for $340 at MicroCenter and got Witcher 3 for free, funnily enough.

Looked up some guides about what to expect when overclocking and cranked that 970 up pretty decently above its factory OC with MSI Afterburner. With a slightly overclocked Sandy Bridge i5 and 8gigs of RAM I run the Witcher 3 on Max at 1080p with Hairworks off, Shadows lowered to High, and Foliage Density 1 notch below max (either High or Med, can't remember what the highest is). Game runs wonderfully. Constantly between 55 and 60 frames with VSYNC on.

Super impressed with the OC capability of the 970 and will likely pick up a second for SLI sometime next year if prices lower enough.

VACkillers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#15  Edited By VACkillers

the 970/980 is quite a buff over a single GTX 760, I owned one and was able to get money for the first time to buy a top top range card and went to a 980. I doubt even two 760s would be as good as a single 980 to be honest, and then you'd run into issues on whether the game actually supports SLI as a lot these days don't unless their the AAA tittles and even some of those don't. Knowing how close a 970 is in relation to a 980 performance wise, I would absolutely say that it would be worth it. I don't know if Nvidia plan on release a Ti version of the 970s ot 960s though is the thing, they just released the 980 ti's and rumored to be releasing a 990 next year which is basically the performance of x2 Titan X's so.... Hard to say what is going to be coming down the pipeline really in terms of new GPUs and true DX12 cards but as of today, the 970 or 980s are worth the buff in my opinion, especially if you're struggling on games...